TalkingReckless
CroInter
rwo power
Ganso
Lex
fatman123
16 posters

Go down

How often do you shut down your computer Empty How often do you shut down your computer

Post by fatman123 Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:21 pm

sweet first thread in the new section Afro

anyway something that occured to me just before is that i cant remember the shut down my laptop, when im done with it i just close the lid and thats that, so does anyone else do this and is it unhealthy for the laptop to be hibernating all the time and never shut down?
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

How often do you shut down your computer Empty Re: How often do you shut down your computer

Post by Lex Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:29 pm

Just like people, your computer needs to rest every now and again, so shutting down once in a while is paramount to your notebook's longevity

The only thing i clearly remember from my Dell's instruction manual a few years ago, so shutting down is critical to keeping it healthy, plus it boots up fresh and gets rid of any technical problems whilst also installing important updates.

I put my laptop to sleep every night, run Norton in the morning before work, then shut it down until i get home.

Last edited by Lex on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

How often do you shut down your computer Empty Re: How often do you shut down your computer

Post by Ganso Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:30 pm

i turn my computer off once,sometimes twice a day.Its always on sleep mode
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:32 pm

It depends. One of my machines has an uptime of 187d atm. My record for Cosna (who unfortunately died half a year ago) was 353d. Coree, the machine I'm using atm is freshly started today. (All my machines run on Linux, btw).

Last edited by rwo power on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by CroInter Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:32 pm

Every time i go to sleep or when im going out, dont all ppl do that.....
CroInter
CroInter
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:50 pm

don't use a PC, i use a Laptop..... so i turn my laptop off 1-2 a day.... hibernate it the rest of the time

and you need to shutdown the computer so i can cool down and your

btw these are some misconceptions of why you should turn it off each night

Turning your PC off uses more energy than leaving it on. Not true. The small surge of power you use when turning it on -- which varies per PC make and model -- is still much smaller than the amount you use in keeping it on for lengthy periods.

Turning your PC on and off wears it out. A decade ago, there was something to this, but not today, say Hershberg and others. It used to be that PC hard disks did not automatically park their heads when shut off, and that frequent on/off cycling could damage the hard disks. Today's PCs are designed to handle 40,000 on/off cycles before a failure, and that's a number you likely won't reach during the computer's five-to-seven-year life span.

TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:00 am

hmmm alright then, im going to have to start making an effort to shut it down at least once a day then, cheers everyone
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:04 am

fatman123 wrote:hmmm alright then, im going to have to start making an effort to shut it down at least once a day then, cheers everyone

3-4 times a week is enough..... new PC are supposed to handle being on that much...many people shutdown their computer only once a week

however Laptops i would suggest you turn then off every night..... because charging the battery 24/7 can make the battery lose life
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:25 am

I never shut off my PC.

But I restart it about 2-3 times weekly, which has the same effect.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:01 am

I think I've only shut down my computer once since I bought my laptop, and I have had the comp for one year. i just hibernate it everytime i wanna turn it off, makes it much quicker to boot up when i open the laptop.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:21 am

Only when it requires a forced restart, so pretty much every couple weeks, or months depending if i install a new application.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:05 am

Shut down my computer? scratch

I mean I close the laptop like 2-3 times a day, not sure if that counts
BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:39 pm

2 or 3 times a day id say depending on how much i use it.......
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by KMD Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:30 pm

i think on my mac instruction it said shut it down only if you are not using it for 2 or more days otherwise just close it....

KMD
KMD
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by che Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:34 pm

i never hibernate, always turn it off, amounts to pretty much twice a day

i use my laptop for games so don't want my ram clogged up with fragments of bad company 2 engine from two weeks ago...
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:13 pm

I turn it off maybe 1 or 2 a day.
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 am

Maybe about twice every five days? I do restart when the computer runs slowly (as in very, very slowly, considering this one is nowhere close to the quality of a high-end PC). When I go to sleep, I usually leave the monitor off and that's about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:48 am

i thought it was the only normal thing to shut it down everytime u stop using it ?
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by spanky Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:15 am

shutting ur pc down clears its memory giving it a fresh start when turned on again.
spanky
spanky
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down