Cristiano Ronaldo-the most overrated player of all time?

+64
El Blanco Madridista
Perucho21
Mr Nick09
Claudio84
Hapless_Hans
guest_07
Nivash
futbol_bill
The Demon of Carthage
rwo power
sree999
M99
Kick
Thimmy
LeVersacci
Jack Daniels
shadexticos
terrance511
Lupi
Beautiful Football
futbol
titosantill
Nedved
jibers
Robespierre
Killer
Motogp69
Uncanny
sportsczy
chad4401
Cyborg
buddytaller
Adit
Pedram
halamadrid2
FalcaoPunch
izzy
Arquitecto
Doc
Valkyrja
Babun
Kuru
guest7
LeBéninois
FennecFox7
Le Samourai
VanDeezNuts
punkfusion1992
EarlyPrototype
Zealous
teamanarchy
Lord Hades
LeSwagg James
BarrileteCosmico
RealGunner
ijomer
Calebvision
the xcx
StevieRayVaughan
Mamad
Onyx
la bestia negra
Ganso
raulmadrid4vr
68 posters

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

Cristiano Ronaldo-the most overrated player of all time? - Page 13 Empty Re: Cristiano Ronaldo-the most overrated player of all time?

Post by Cyborg Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:59 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:i am not sure how you can come here, say that CR has done nothing for us, and expect that people take you seriously.

What are the standards being used here? Was he supposed to win the CL for us 6 out of his 7-8 years in madrid? to score all the goals and hattricks in every final?

Cristiano is one of the reasons why our fate course corrected in recent history, we were in a disastrous position. He came in, completely changed the perception of our club worldwide, and helped to put us back on the forefront of football.

I think you can dislike players for the style they have yet still appreciate the overall impact they have. He has had a fantastic contribution for this team in the time that he has been in Madrid, made a lot of fans dream of winning again, and he was a contributor to our winning CL campaign.

To say that he has done nothin is a damn right stupid statement.

He has been elite for the whole time he has been with us, and for all the faults that he has, it's not his fault that this club signs players like james-kroos-modric to back him up. Im pretty sure there were smarter ways to build a midfield to protect him and to allow him the freedom he needs to perform forward.

ps: stop trying to sound like a football hipster who has figured about things about football that others cant/havent.

Finally someone who isn't blinded by the media blitz to ship Cristiano away.

Fans are so temperamental they forget the past too quickly. They seem to only remember small negatives rather than big positives.

Zidane, Raul and Casillas were booed and whistled in the Bernabeu. They were castigated and berated by the press during their last days at the club. Now they are Gods, Kings and Legends.

It's a shame.

Unfortunately, this is the attitude of most Real Madrid fans. Florentino Perez has breathed this appetite into the supporter. An insatiable need for new things.

A new name is greeted with fanfare. Someone who toiled and sweated for the club is sent away under a hush.

Cyborg
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Cristiano Ronaldo-the most overrated player of all time? - Page 13 Empty Re: Cristiano Ronaldo-the most overrated player of all time?

Post by Mr Nick09 Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:08 pm

dont misunderstand me, i very much support selling Cristiano at this point
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:41 pm

CR made us fashionable again... that's about it. Mourinho was the one who put us back into an elite position. He changed the culture of the club. CR was there the season before Mourinho came and Madrid was absolutely no different than before.

Mourinho deserves all the credit for getting us going in the right direction in terms of results... we lost to Lyon the year before with CR. Mou came in and got us to 3 straight CL semis, a position we hadn't been in for a decade.

So yeah, let's not rewrite history.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:55 pm

there is no manager that deserves all the credit because however good they are, void of talent, they would not achieve much. Cristiano won a stupid amount of games for Mourinho, i can present the argument this way too.

Assigning all the credit or all the blame to one individual is ridiculous anyway.

I can appreciate what mourinho contributed. I can also appreciate what the players contributed, including Ronaldo.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:57 pm

I can't believe the way this thread has gone (and ignoring the predictable dribble from the Benz fanboy). The answer to the op question, which I think most of us have answered, is yes he is overrated but not the most overrated of all time.

The thread then goes into endless detail about what we have won or not when Ronaldo has been here and was Ronaldo in any way responsible for that. So much so that some here are then making Ronaldo out to be a scrub. Again it seems the majority of us say he has been a good if not great player, that he has faults that prevent him from being a legend, but he certainly is not a scrub not the most overrated of all time.

Hell, you just need to look at his teammate acquired at the same time for a more overrated player. And no Sports, Kaka was not even good in his first year. He never did display the Milan form at Madrid. I remember in that first year, Ronaldo was out for a spell and the team looked fruitlessly to Kaka and he didn't come thru. That was in the first year when you said he was good.

and @Cyborg - I don't ever remember Zidane being booed at Bernabeu.

So why are we debating about what we didn't or did win and as if one player is somehow responsible for that. If you want to put blame on our dismal record start with Flo and then any of the 4 coaches and their flaws.

futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:09 pm

Given that Madrid couldn't get anywhere for almost a decade in terms of CL and, as soon as he arrived, we made it the semis and continued to do so....  i give Mourinho the majority of the credit.

He took over the transfers from Flo and he actually built a sensible team.  We actually scouted players for once as opposed to just look at the BdO list lol.

He took a lot of the power away from the players and made them accountable.  Had no problem calling them out or benching them... and the players couldn't go crying to Flo because he would discipline them.

Just changed everything.  I hated his antics and he took things much too far towards the end... but Mourinho is the reason that we are semi-respectable today.  Make no mistake about it.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:36 pm

you are comparing apple and oranges, praising mourinho for things no player can ever do. He has his merits, but we are not taking about mourinho here.

The question, or at least what i picked up late in this thread, was whether Cristiano contributed to the success of madrid in recent years and that's an absolute yes. His individual performances have led our team from day one, he became a leader, and hasnt stopped producing for the past 6 years
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:04 pm

Actually, before Mourinho, the players had ALL the power.... which is what spoiled Madrid in the first place. Legends that can also organize a squad to become winners only come once in a generation... and they still need a competent squad. CR is not in that caliber because he's solely focused on himself. He sees winning the BdO as being just as important as winning La Liga or CL. Do you think he would sacrifice any of his stats to help a teammate get going for the good of the team? Never... won't happen.

So yeah, i do blame CR for being so incredibly selfish that it never really gave Madrid as a team a chance. Everything we've won since he got here was in spite of him, not because of him. That's just how i feel.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:12 pm

I am fully aware that he was selfish too, there were times where he could have sacrificed a bit more to contribute to the team overall success and he did not.

His time in madrid was less than perfect, we will all agree to that fact, i just think we have to weight our words if we have to comment of his overall impact while in madrid. It's been mostly positive in the grand scheme of things. If you micro analyze and what to compare him to what other stars do to facilitate their teams winning trophies, you will find holes to poke
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:02 pm

i don't get where this is going...my take on it; we win and lose based on the construct of the team. when we won la liga, it wasn't cristiano alone; you saw ozil, you saw di maria, you saw higuain and benzema tally like what 40 plus 50 plus goals together. you saw a decent bench; kaka, who flopped at the club was an okay benchman to have, arbeloa could still play. we got unlucky against bayern  thanks to ramos after iker had got us back in the shootout

in the seasons we have lost, guess who i blame? the TEAM. yes, i expect cristiano to step up in crunch time, and not just pad his stats against getafe, but when he doesn't, i expect other guys to pick up his slack, and get us a win. which hasn't been the case. i blame the team as a whole, and management for the years we could have won the league (i don't care what anyone says about how good barca was; we should have done better the year vilanova was their coach, we should have done better this season with messi out, we should have done better last season as well)

titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:02 pm

is cristiano overrated? the "overrated" thing depends on what kind of level you put him on. as far as this era, whether one likes him or hates him, it is what it is...except for this and last season, with neymar and suarez performing, i'm not sure there are many forwards except for messi we could have put ahead of him in this time frame; not rvp at his peak, not prime rooney, not prime aguero, not prime falcao etc

if we say he is overrated, the question becomes, "besides messi, who isn't overrated"....as far as his madrid career goes; so far not so good, because we've had a deep team , and the same goes for ramos, benzema, pepe, marcelo, arbeloa. they've all been on the team long enough, and they would all loved to have won more than they have....even worse is the titles they have witnessed the rivals win

this era we flopped primarily due to poor mgt moves and imo lacked the mental fortitude of a good team with ample depth (the galacticos flopped but their squad was never this deep; they had a bench filled with minambres, raul barvo, soldado, portillo, conceciao; the best of the bench where scolari and guti; mcmanaman had left by that point) .

cristiano as the face of the franchise will get the bulk of the blame by most, but its a team thing to me, when he flops, its up to other guys to step up....how many comeback wins have we even had? and we almost threw away that ucl. with the depth of the team since 09 to now, we have been very disappointing. i said at the start of the season, if we mess up, florentino will scrap this whole project altogether, and a lot of people will be sold, not just cristiano. i credit and blame the team as a whole for our losses and successes (the very few ones)...we are not a one man show.....is cristiano on pele, diego level? NEVER. is he one of the tops in this era? yes....hell, apparently even ramos is considered by some among the top defenders in this era
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:06 am

You can't demand and take as many shots or more as all the AMs, wingers and strikers COMBINED and then suddenly ask the other guys to step up if you're not feeling up to it... that's just not how football works.  It's not a switch you can turn on or off.  That's my huge criticism of CR.  He was so selfish that nobody else had room to breath...  so when he flopped (most big games), there was no way for anyone else to be ready to step in.  Mourinho saw that and called him out on it (including the fact that he left Marcelo exposed 99.99% of the time), which led to the rift.

And yeah... Ronaldo was averaging 400 shots or more a season and the others were anywhere from 50 to 100 or so.

The incredible part was that it's not like he focused on helping the team in the games he was poor... he'd just completely sabotage things by continuing to fail and not playing defense. CR just had to score for his ego, the team be damned.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:48 am

stepping up doesn't always mean you now start shooting...its not relevant to scoring alone. example; cristiano flopped in the final against atleti, throughout that match di maria if i can remember correctly ran so many yards, him and modric created chances, and bale wasted them, until the end. i agree with you on cristiano bringing absolutely nothing to the table when he has his bad games, won't create, won't be able to beat his man and so on..however, in a team with guys who've been playing professionally for many years, and who should want to win, i expect them to work their socks off and demand the same from him. it doesn't mean pepe should start taking shots, but when we're down the whole squad looks so bleak its ridiculous...play hard and have a go at cristiano if he's slouching. at utd, you'd see guys like giggs neville have a go at him

granted, we don't have many guys who are senior to him, but when you want, to win all that goes out the window...a chance to catch barcelona and cristiano's slouching, i expect guys to play well and get in at him to let him know "hey we want to win here", "we want team titles"; modric has had a go at him once, ramos too...other than that, not much. everyone just lets him sulk, throw a fit, not participate, and they pretend they don't see it. its high time the team built a back bone; that's what the club is all about, stepping up and having a go at teammates when things are a mess. cristiano isn't above being yelled at by anyone on this team, as long as you are also playing your heart out
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:14 am

I get that... i'm saying that guys can't just step into making up for CR's slack like a light bulb.  When you play all the games where the other players are basically reacting to what CR does by design, it's hard for them to just become an alpha for one game.... and it's the hardest for the other strikers because they play on the same line as CR so they are sacrificing the most.  For players who are on another line, they don't really have to change much if CR is off... they just need to look at other options to feed.

Being an effective striker is very psychological and very dependent on movement.  You can't just ask guys to change their psychological approach and movements in one game and expect them to do well...  very rarely happens.  There's a build up period.

That's why i've been SCREAMING that we would be much better off if CR would have been satisfied with scoring 40-50 a season and allowed the other striker to get 200 or so shots and get 30-40 goals.  Then you would have two guys that are USED TO having to be counted on as both a scorer and someone who makes the difference in the final 1/3.  As it stood, the CF has been a role player for the entire time CR has been here...  you can't expect a guy to score 30 goals on 100 shots.  It just doesn't happen.  The best strikers in the world on avg around 20% efficiency and that's what you're going to get.  More importantly, they aren't moving to be the primary scoring option with CR... they are most often running as a decoy.

Anyhow, i could go on for hours at how utterly disgusted i have been at CR since his Man U days...  i think he's a complete fraud.  That may be overboard... but that's how i feel because i could care less about the BdO or scoring records.  I want my team to play at its best.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:22 am

i get your point, we are along similar lines. agree to disagree on certain issues. i actually would prefer him moved to the right, but ofcourse, he doesn't want to play there. even if he's not scoring from there, he looks like he has a bit of sense on that flank, and isn't a bad crosser; and have bale on the left...but who knows these days. only at madrid do simple things get very complicated....di maria should have gotten that new contract....that was a no-brainer
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mamad Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:10 pm

If Ronaldo does what other wingers do and still score this much, i will call him one of the best ever.

but scoring shitload of goals isn't that impressive when you can't do all other things that you must.

playing with 11 in attack and 10 in defence. thats how Madrid has been the last few years.

and his selfishness....out of this world, unbelievable.
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:43 pm

Here's an interesting question: At their peak, was Ronaldo better or Robben or Ribery? I'm not talking in terms of scoring since that wasn't the primary roles of the other guys. I'm talking in terms of being a footballer.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:58 pm

sportsczy wrote:Here's an interesting question: At their peak, was Ronaldo better or Robben or Ribery? I'm not talking in terms of scoring since that wasn't the primary roles of the other guys. I'm talking in terms of being a footballer.

Way better tbh
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:59 pm

it depends on what you consider their peak. i consider cristiano's peak to be with utd, those last 3 years with them, i felt he was good at the world cup in 06....that cristiano was miles better than both robben and ribery. followed by robben; i think his best was the first year with bayern, when he just left us....he's had some big moments since like when they won ucl, but i don't think that was his best. that first year of rob-bery he was crazy, scoring free kicks, the late goal against utd....i'd take diego tristan's peak over ribbery lol, joking a little. in all honesty, i always saw ribery as a very good hardworker. i preferred lahm to him the year he was closest to the golden ball. i preferred lahm, schweini, and even robben, who missed some games, to him that year. but commend him for his hard work. just my opinion
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:02 pm

even at madrid, i think it was when he broke or was about to break hugo sanchez' league record that he became a bit of a crack head, and forgot all about the game
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:43 pm

Re Robben, it's hard to pick a peak year with him, given he has been injured practically every year. hIs best year was his first at Bayern since that is the year with fewest injuries.

Sports' distain  for Ronaldo and love of Ribery is well known, so it is a loaded question. i don't think there is any doubt that Ronaldo has made a bigger impact that either of them dispite his flaws.

Just take a look at resale value. Ronaldo dispite all the flaws will still fetch in excess of 100M. the other two would be lucky to get even 50.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Claudio84 Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:26 pm

Valkyrja wrote:
sportsczy wrote:Here's an interesting question: At their peak, was Ronaldo better or Robben or Ribery? I'm not talking in terms of scoring since that wasn't the primary roles of the other guys. I'm talking in terms of being a footballer.

Way better tbh

+ 1

Claudio84
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:28 pm

Why are you taking scoring out of the equation?

All this "let's say.." "how about if it was this way".. with all due respect, and I really mean it, just please stfu Laughing

What if ribery and robben did not have their speed and dribbling ability? Well, there you go, I think that's a fairer argument now.

I notice its just Chad and Sports arguing at this point versus CR. We all know they have an agenda.. aka Big benz hasn't reached his potential. Nothing to see here.

Guarentee you if ronaldo played on that bayern team he would have won more. There's no way that team COULDN'T have won. It was loaded.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:45 pm

Yet despite Madrid outspending Bayern by 10x, both Ribery and Robben have won far more league titles, cups, supercups, etc...   won 1 CL and made 3 other finals.  Both went to a WC final.  Etc. And Ribery was always a great big game player for both club and country. Robben was a choker until the past 2 years (huge choker tbh lol).

And Bayern hasn't been any more kind with managers than Madrid has as they've played for Hitzfeld, Klinsmann, Heynckes part 1, LVG, Jonker, Heynckes part 2 and Pep since 2007.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:48 pm

I don't think you realize how angry and critical i have been of Benz since Sept Fennec...  i have no love left for that guy.

And I didn't say take the scoring away... i just said that scoring is just one factor. Most kids today only rate players based on goals which is ridiculous.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:20 pm

i'd say that french team with zizou, makelele vierra et al carried ribery to that world cup final. he was good, scored that goal against spain, was a hardworker...but don't tell me we are going to credit ribery for getting france to the final. "went" to the final, doesn't make you some big shot all of a sudden. guess who else has been to the world cup final? burruchaga, luca toni. if france had gone to the one in 2014, with ribery leading the way, like how robben did for them to the semis, i'd give him props
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next