che
Yuri Yukuv
BarrileteCosmico
Soul
7amood11
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Good Dictatorship vs Bad Democracy - Page 2 Empty Re: Good Dictatorship vs Bad Democracy

Post by 7amood11 Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Grande_Milano wrote:
7amood11 wrote:Are there any examples of a "good" dictatorship? I honestly can't think of one.

Franco, Salazar, Mussolini-Hitler pre-WW2.

Qaddaffi vs pre-Qaddaffi Libya

Bad democracies: Afghanistan, Iraq, modern Islamic Spring countries, Haiti, good range of African/Latin American countries

Yeah stop trolling.

7amood11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Good Dictatorship vs Bad Democracy - Page 2 Empty Re: Good Dictatorship vs Bad Democracy

Post by kiranr Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:16 pm

BeautifulGame wrote:
diptiman wrote:
can you honestly make a bet with me abour rahul gandhi becoming pm in the next few years>>? and all he has done is have lunch with a few up farmers ffs.. the likes of modi would be much better.

I would rather have Rahul have PM than Modi any day of the week and i despise Rahul too for his antics and backing of Dig Vijay Singh.But the day Modi becomes PM of India will be a dark day in our democracy.

Either way the only i see Rahul wanting to become PM or Modi accepted as PM is only if Congress of BJP get absolute majority which is only a pipe dream.

The best candidate for PM is someone like Nitish Kumar not a sadist like Modi.

And i can 100% certain Rahul wont be PM anytime soon even if Congress comes to power again.

And having lunch however a stunt it is far far better than burning people alive and creating riots to come to power.

I agree. Both Modi and Rahul are bad options, but, Rahul is the worst off the two.

kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:04 am

Are we treating "dictator" as the common definition or ancient?
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:13 am

TBH by the type of "fact-checking" running rampant in this threads' argument, the answer will probably be: "huh?"

Though it's really just splitting hairs, every single one of those guys people complimented on this thread would fit neatly into Aristotles definition of a Tyrant :coffee:
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:33 am

RedOranje wrote:Are we treating "dictator" as the common definition or ancient?

Common definition.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:38 am

BeautifulGame wrote:
diptiman wrote:
can you honestly make a bet with me abour rahul gandhi becoming pm in the next few years>>? and all he has done is have lunch with a few up farmers ffs.. the likes of modi would be much better.

I would rather have Rahul have PM than Modi any day of the week and i despise Rahul too for his antics and backing of Dig Vijay Singh.But the day Modi becomes PM of India will be a dark day in our democracy.

Either way the only i see Rahul wanting to become PM or Modi accepted as PM is only if Congress of BJP get absolute majority which is only a pipe dream.

The best candidate for PM is someone like Nitish Kumar not a sadist like Modi.

And i can 100% certain Rahul wont be PM anytime soon even if Congress comes to power again.

And having lunch however a stunt it is far far better than burning people alive and creating riots to come to power.

that riot thing isnt completely true.. but modi does have a hand in it

the thing is, have you seen gujarat.. the investments the development the safety level. hes worked wonders here.. vibrant gujarat and all. every university college has been improved.. plus he isnt a stupid puppet like most politicians . he would actually take decisions.. not to mention he isnt corrupt
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:57 pm

Josip Broz Titohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josip_Broz_Tito
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:20 pm

Tito? I thought you Yugoslavians dont like him? I know Albania wasnt part of.
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:29 pm

Grande_Milano wrote:Tito? I thought you Yugoslavians dont like him? I know Albania wasnt part of.
Communist states are secular so the divide between ethnic/religious groups was kept at bay in Yugoslavia. I'd give that credit to communism rather than Tito, even though Tito was a good leader given the circumstances. People seem to credit Tito for that though.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:33 pm

Wow, I've thought about this question in the past as well!

Anyway, here's my take.

Good dictatorships/ oligarchies have the highest potential of transforming a poor country into a rich one. China, for instance, has lifted the biggest number of people out of poverty in the history of mankind. The reason? Sh*t actually got done by the Communist Party. In democracies, there will always be influential forces hampering the desired moves of the incumbent government. In other words, the opposition party will always be negative and finding ways to prevent drastic (but needed) bills from being passes. Furthermore, lobby groups, powerful minority voices, NGOs etc. etc. will always be criticizing each big move and slowing down the process of getting sh*t done. A democracy can only transform a poor country into a rich one if there's bipartisanship in the parliament. FDR's tenure in the US is a good example of how a democratic nation can get sh*t done quickly.

However, once a country has become developed, good dictatorships/ oligarchies won't last and won't work too well. Former poor people will inevitably want more, eg. freedoms, liberties and less government intervention in their lives, which ultimately leads to civil unrest and possible revolutions, which are always messy affairs.

In essence, a democracy is great for preserving the status quo in developed countries, but poor in rapidly transforming it.
Kev
Kev
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2