Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Go down

Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by Dnmac4 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:00 pm

This is not a pro or anti Arsenal thread. I just wanted to see if anyone else saw the interview on Fox Soccer Channel with Ivan Gazidis after Arsenals FA cup win today?

It was pretty revealing as the Wenger spending money issue has been argued ad nauseam on here.

In a nut shell he laughed at the thought that the board somehow ties Wenger's hands or holds him back when spending money or buying players. He said he doesn't know why there is any confusion what so ever about this issue as Arsenal is a public company and they publish there books for everyone to see.

He said Wenger is free to spend the money any way he see's fit and if they don't spend the money it is totally up to Wenger not anyone else.

He did add that they will never buy 1 player for 50 or 60 million pounds and they will continue to run a sustainable model and will never bid with oil or russian billionaires (it was pretty funny as he basically called out City and Chelsea) for high price players. He also pretty much stated that they will not break there wage structure for one player.

He praised Wenger through out the entire interview so I don't want this to come off like he was slamming him and pretty much said they will not fire Wenger and the job is his as long as he wants it.

So for all the opinions and arguments we have on here about this issue, Arsenal's Chief Executive said that Wenger can buy and spend the money they have, he is just choosing not to. It's not the board holding him back or pocketing the money, so take it for what it's worth.
avatar
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Posts : 2911
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by REWB on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:11 pm

tbh i cant see anyone that is available that would improve us while fitting our wage structure atm. honda and podoski were the two i hoped for but, we missed out on honda weirdly and podoski doesn't want to leave. jan window is not closed yet, maybe wenger can find someone.

_________________
avatar
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 5434
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by Dnmac4 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:22 pm

Yea, I think after this year is more important then this window because IMO Chelsea, Pool, United and City (if they need to) are going to spend a lot of money. And I believe Spurs will hang onto there players.

Arsenal needs to keep up with them because they risk falling out of the top 4 for a prolonged period of time which would be a disaster. I think everyone agree's that if Arsenal had everyone healthy it may be a different story, but how many seasons in a row does Wenger need to watch his team get torn apart by injuries to actually prepare for it and not act stunned that it happened again.

Again it's my opinion and I'm sure some don't share it that Arsenal will not make the top 4 this year so it's crucial Wenger get it right this off season and spend a lot of cash to a) Strengthen there team and B) Keep RVP in town by showing him there serious about competing for top title because there actions in the last year or so don't say that.
avatar
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Posts : 2911
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by Jay29 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:23 pm

Gazidis pretty much sings the same tune every time he speaks. Everything he's said here is nothing new and doesn't reveal anything new, though it does highlight the issue of our wage structure which, to be frank, is just completely messed up and is holding us back in the market.

The prevelant question is how much money there is to spend. A lot of fans tend to confuse our healthy bank balance with having a big transfer budget but I do not believe that to be the case. I think it's bigger than average but when you consider that wages, bonuses and all that come out of that same budget one player suddenly becomes more expensive.

I'm of the belief that our wage structure holds us back more than anything else, and Wenger is a lot to do with that. Wenger's stubborn faith in some players is also a hinderence. Those two things are needless restrictions in the transfer market - more than whatever the transfer budget is.
avatar
Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla
Posts : 17376
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by RealGunner on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:29 pm

with the likes of Almunia on 50k, It's no surprise we cant even afford Samba
avatar
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 80410
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by Dnmac4 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:30 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:Gazidis pretty much sings the same tune every time he speaks. Everything he's said here is nothing new and doesn't reveal anything new, though it does highlight the issue of our wage structure which, to be frank, is just completely messed up and is holding us back in the market.

The prevelant question is how much money there is to spend. A lot of fans tend to confuse our healthy bank balance with having a big transfer budget but I do not believe that to be the case. I think it's bigger than average but when you consider that wages, bonuses and all that come out of that same budget one player suddenly becomes more expensive.

I'm of the belief that our wage structure holds us back more than anything else, and Wenger is a lot to do with that. Wenger's stubborn faith in some players is also a hinderence. Those two things are needless restrictions in the transfer market - more than whatever the transfer budget is.

Yea, from the interview you got the sense that Wenger has a nice transfer fund to work with something around 40 mill pounds. I don't think he has a ton of money to work with either but from the interview I think it's pretty safe to say that if he want's a player he can have them.

Not to mention the way Wenger spends, 40 mill is a lot of cash.

The interesting thing is what are they going to do with RVP and the wage structure? They have to break the wage structure because every team is going to be in his ear offering him the world.

I don't see how they hang onto him with out paying him a bunch of cash and spending on some really good players.
avatar
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Posts : 2911
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by REWB on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:31 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:Gazidis pretty much sings the same tune every time he speaks. Everything he's said here is nothing new and doesn't reveal anything new, though it does highlight the issue of our wage structure which, to be frank, is just completely messed up and is holding us back in the market.

The prevelant question is how much money there is to spend. A lot of fans tend to confuse our healthy bank balance with having a big transfer budget but I do not believe that to be the case. I think it's bigger than average but when you consider that wages, bonuses and all that come out of that same budget one player suddenly becomes more expensive.

I'm of the belief that our wage structure holds us back more than anything else, and Wenger is a lot to do with that. Wenger's stubborn faith in some players is also a hinderence. Those two things are needless restrictions in the transfer market - more than whatever the transfer budget is.

lol yeah players like denilson and almunia on 60k+ :facepalm:

_________________
avatar
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 5434
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by Jay29 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:34 pm

Offloading the deadwood would be a good first step, since we have this unsual policy of having average players on high wages. Getting rid of Almunia, Squillaci, Denilson, Diaby and Chamakh would apparently free up around £200k p/w in wages.

Obviously that's easier said than done, with clubs not wanting to buy these players and Wenger having stubborn faith in some. Would certainly make things a tad easier if we managed to do it.
avatar
Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla
Posts : 17376
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by Dnmac4 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:50 pm

For those who didn't hear the interview it was really good. In fact I think Gazidis was kind of taken back at the questions as he thought he was on there to talk about there come back against Villa.

They really pressed him on the lack of trophies and transfers etc and to his credit he answered everything strait up and there was no weaseling out of answering the questions.

In fact if I were him I would be a little pissed at the line of questioning as it wasn't really appropriate for the moment.
avatar
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Posts : 2911
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by lenear1030 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:26 pm

@dnmac4 wrote:For those who didn't hear the interview it was really good. In fact I think Gazidis was kind of taken back at the questions as he thought he was on there to talk about there come back against Villa.

They really pressed him on the lack of trophies and transfers etc and to his credit he answered everything strait up and there was no weaseling out of answering the questions.

In fact if I were him I would be a little pissed at the line of questioning as it wasn't really appropriate for the moment.


actually he sort of weaseled out of the 'trophies' question. but it's clear to me why did. he responded by talking about being near the top of the table consistently w/o big spending and the club's sustainable business model. he also took a jab at city saying they'd love to still be in 3 competitions


it would've been nice to hear him be direct and come out and say "We hear the fans and we're doing everything we can to win a title." Fact is they aren't and it's hidden in the rhetoric. Arsenal are COMPLETELY content with finishing in the top 4 every year with the "sustainable business model" even if it means no trophy. I thought his jabs at City were cute, but it doesnt matter how many competitions a club is in atm. what matters is when the season is over, who has the trophies.

_________________


:coffee:
avatar
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 2881
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by Dnmac4 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:41 pm

@lenear1030 wrote:
@dnmac4 wrote:For those who didn't hear the interview it was really good. In fact I think Gazidis was kind of taken back at the questions as he thought he was on there to talk about there come back against Villa.

They really pressed him on the lack of trophies and transfers etc and to his credit he answered everything strait up and there was no weaseling out of answering the questions.

In fact if I were him I would be a little pissed at the line of questioning as it wasn't really appropriate for the moment.


actually he sort of weaseled out of the 'trophies' question. but it's clear to me why did. he responded by talking about being near the top of the table consistently w/o big spending and the club's sustainable business model. he also took a jab at city saying they'd love to still be in 3 competitions


it would've been nice to hear him be direct and come out and say "We hear the fans and we're doing everything we can to win a title." Fact is they aren't and it's hidden in the rhetoric. Arsenal are COMPLETELY content with finishing in the top 4 every year with the "sustainable business model" even if it means no trophy. I thought his jabs at City were cute, but it doesnt matter how many competitions a club is in atm. what matters is when the season is over, who has the trophies.

Yea, but to his credit the line of questioning was very harsh after a comeback win from 2-0 down to stay in the FA cup. I mean the whole interview was negative and like I said I think Gazidis must have been a little shocked that all the questions were about what;s negative at the club and not the win they just had.

I thought he came off as very honest about everything and that more is in the hands of Wenger then soem fans want to believe. A lot of Wenger supporters want you to believe that Wenger want's to buy this player and that player and the board are holding him back which doesn't seem to be the case.
avatar
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Posts : 2911
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by Kaladin on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:20 pm

So what do i need to know about this guy? @Arsenal

_________________
avatar
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 21887
Join date : 2012-06-28
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by urbaNRoots on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:23 pm

@Kaladin wrote:So what do i need to know about this guy? @Arsenal


He's bald.
avatar
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 15764
Join date : 2011-08-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by urbaNRoots on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:35 pm

@RealGunner wrote:with the likes of Almunia on 50k, It's no surprise we cant even afford Samba


ffs we were desperate for Samba back in the day.
avatar
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 15764
Join date : 2011-08-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by S on Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:12 pm

Miss Dnmac's trolling of Wilshere and Arsenal

Even RG used to take the bait ffs
avatar
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus
Posts : 26263
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:11 pm

@S wrote:Miss Dnmac's trolling of Wilshere and Arsenal

Even RG used to take the bait ffs


He'll forever be known for his insistence that Leandro Damaio will be the next best CF in world football I'm afraid.

_________________
avatar
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 64502
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by El Gunner on Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:25 pm

@urbaNRoots wrote:
@RealGunner wrote:with the likes of Almunia on 50k, It's no surprise we cant even afford Samba


ffs we were desperate for Samba back in the day.

looooooool times were tooooooough

_________________
avatar
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 13240
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 21

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by RealGunner on Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:58 pm

Samba was elite on fifa12


avatar
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 80410
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by iftikhar on Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:22 am

Why this sudden bump??? scratch
avatar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 7876
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by S on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:29 pm

Its official now

He's Milan's new CEO


avatar
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus
Posts : 26263
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by Firenze on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:41 pm

Gazidis-Gattuso

dream lineup

:bow:
avatar
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 27477
Join date : 2012-04-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by urbaNRoots on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:04 pm

World Class CEO rofl rofl

@ES
avatar
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 15764
Join date : 2011-08-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by Kaladin on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:05 pm

People on twitter going on about how he flipped over Arsenal like a house, but i fail to see correlation=/=causation. Supposedly a 'turnover king' whose going to focus on the club's financials, we'll see i guess.

_________________
avatar
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 21887
Join date : 2012-06-28
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by Jay29 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:35 pm

He's basically going to look after Milan's finances and ensure that they're a sustainable business. That was his role at Arsenal.

I'm not too familiar with how Milan's management structure is going to look, but their statement says he'll be managing football operations as well. So I imagine he'll be putting key staff in place.

There's a lot of hearsay about how much influence he had at Arsenal in the end. It's believed he was one of the key forces behind Wenger's departure and led the recruitment drive that saw a load of new staff at executive and coaching level come in. He was one of the three guys who was responsible for hiring Emery as well.

But bare in mind it took him nine years to enact those changes and for a lot of that time he was very pro-status quo. Arsenal didn't need to wait a decade to change their management structure.

He was the most public executive figure at the club and always said a lot without really saying anything meaningful. A lot of fans disliked him because he was very consistent (perhaps even dogmatic) about being self-sustainable and how that proved the club was healthy and on progressing, even though the on-field results proved otherwise.
avatar
Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla
Posts : 17376
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: Arsenal's Ivan Gazidis on FSC

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum