Were we lucky to sell Meireles for £12m?

+2
McAgger
Art Morte
6 posters

Go down

Were we lucky to sell Meireles for £12m? Empty Were we lucky to sell Meireles for £12m?

Post by Art Morte Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:22 pm

The fee was undisclosed, but reportedly £12m.

He has been very average for Chelsea. No key passes, no superb work-rate, no goals (well, one in 21 games).

I'm also not convinced he would have thrived under Kenny's style. Adam has had poor games, but at least he is decisive in whatever he does, good or bad.

Like this Napoli v Chelsea game I'm watching right now: Meireles has been Chelsea's most invisible player, imo.

So, whatcha think? Were we lucky to get £12m for him?
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Were we lucky to sell Meireles for £12m? Empty Re: Were we lucky to sell Meireles for £12m?

Post by McAgger Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:51 pm

At this point it seems like we are lucky. But Kenny's style suits Meireles way more than AVB's. He was great under Kenny in the end run of last season. I think he would've had a great season with us.

Three tops from Pool, flops in Chelsea

1. Torres
2. Meireles
3. Benayoun
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Were we lucky to sell Meireles for £12m? Empty Re: Were we lucky to sell Meireles for £12m?

Post by RedOranje Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:00 pm

He's playing deeper for Chelsea, which I think is contributing to his below-par performances. That said, he developed a habit of pulling out of or avoiding challenges when he moved to the PL and in Kenny's system you simply cannot do that. Every play has to be willing to put everything on the line for the team.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:17 am

I'd still take Meireles over Adam in our team.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:43 am

Tbh Adam gets stuck in, That one thing i like, He doesn't care if the opponent gets fooked, He just wants the ball back. Supposed to be a deep lying playmaker, Doing his job decently till now.

I dont see much difference in Hendo and Meireles right now. Adam is something new.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:50 pm

Nishank wrote:Tbh Adam gets stuck in, That one thing i like, He doesn't care if the opponent gets fooked, He just wants the ball back. Supposed to be a deep lying playmaker, Doing his job decently till now.

I dont see much difference in Hendo and Meireles right now. Adam is something new.
He certainly does get stuck in. He will track back, and he will mess up a defender to regain possession. Personally, I'd like to see him work on his tackling a bit so that he gives away fewer stupid free kicks, but you have to like his drive and desire.

As for Meireles, I'm a little torn. In the few games he played for us this season, he looked dangerous and creative in attack. Take the Arsenal game for example. We could have used that incisive passing in the final third a few times this season. However, he was known for neglecting his defensive duties (something Lavezzi is now thanking him for).

On the whole, we probably were lucky to get 12 million for him. Could we have used his qualities at times this season: yes. Would they have ultimately made an enormous difference in our play: I'm inclined to say no. Let's reinvest those funds in a position we really need to strengthen.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Nishank wrote:Tbh Adam gets stuck in, That one thing i like, He doesn't care if the opponent gets fooked, He just wants the ball back. Supposed to be a deep lying playmaker, Doing his job decently till now.

I dont see much difference in Hendo and Meireles right now.
Adam is something new.
Henderson is 21 while Meireles is 28. Henderson does a great deal of tracking back and defensive work while Meireles has so far gone missing in defense for both Chelsea and Liverpool on numerous occasions.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:18 am

RedOranje wrote:

I dont see much difference in Hendo and Meireles right now.
Adam is something new.

Henderson is 21 while Meireles is 28.
Henderson does a great deal of tracking back and defensive work while Meireles has so far gone missing in defense for both Chelsea and Liverpool on numerous occasions.

Yes, I should have mentioned attack wise, Sorry.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down