Zealous
McAgger
Le Samourai
RealGunner
rwo power
27 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Swiss Goalkeeper Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Swiss Goalkeeper Appreciation Thread

Post by rwo power Thu May 24, 2012 4:40 pm

LOL. I know the U21 EC final didn't go according to plan Razz But at least up to then, Yann Sommer kept his goal clean and didn't allow for any goal against during the competiton until the final.

rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Swiss Goalkeeper Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Swiss Goalkeeper Appreciation Thread

Post by Le Samourai Thu May 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Rwo likes keepers who lose in finals :study:
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu May 24, 2012 5:34 pm

Basel did win both Swiss Cup & Swiss Championship, though. :coffee:
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:24 am

I totally felt like bumping this again.

Deciding penalty save in the 2nd leg of the CL 3rd round:

And next week, Basel will meet CFR Cluj in the CL play-offs (Champions' route). I hope that Yann Sommer will be decisive again!

Swiss Goalkeeper Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Yann11
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:09 am

Lex spot on with the facial structure. That's facial structure I dream of having, he is one handsome man.

Anyone got his email? I'd like to email this thread to him, and hook up Rwo and Yann together.

Awww Heart
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:03 am

Pffff! This is strictly professional admiration!

I mean, just look at this:

Godmez & Co. were totally frustrated there! (Just to show he not only excels against Swiss strikers ^^)
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Sommer might be one of the best penalty stoppers in the future.He deserves to play in a better league and I believe he would fit perfectly in Bundesliga. Let's be fair and not compare the penalties taken by players from Luzern with the penalties taken by players from other leagues with more experience.Of course anybody can take a penalty, but it's not about the shot itself, it's about the player's face and emotions; many players with lack of experience are easily readable by the GK's due to their emotions.

I don't want to take Sommer's merits, but he has plenty of time to develop world class GK skills and show us his abilities to stop penalty kicks in Uefa Champions League in a higher knockout phase for example.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:30 pm

vlafy wrote:I don't want to take Sommer's merits, but he has plenty of time to develop world class GK skills and show us his abilities to stop penalty kicks in Uefa Champions League in a higher knockout phase for example.
Unfortunately, Basel is "only" in the EL this season as they were kicked out in the play-off round. That they reached the play-offs in the first place was also only due to a penalty save by Sommer 2 or 3 minutes in injury time (if the Molde player who normally always scored his pens had scored, then Basel would have been out - but fortunately Basel's penalty hero struck again) Very Happy
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:49 pm

rwo power wrote:Unfortunately, Basel is "only" in the EL this season as they were kicked out in the play-off round. That they reached the play-offs in the first place was also only due to a penalty save by Sommer 2 or 3 minutes in injury time (if the Molde player who normally always scored his pens had scored, then Basel would have been out - but fortunately Basel's penalty hero struck again) Very Happy

Yes, i know that he became a local hero after that.I mean, he was already a hero for FC Basel, but that save in the stoppage time was absolutely amazing.Interesting how i didn't read any rumours about him leaving the club this summer or other clubs interest in buying him.Maybe big or mediocre clubs from Germany, England, Spain or Italy are affraid to sign a GK with his age because they probably failed in the past with this kind of transfers.I repeat, i can't see him playing in Serie A for example, the same with English Premier League or Spain.He will presumably choose Bundesliga, his face is asking for that rofl .
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:21 pm

Well, problem with the Bundesliga is that we have a lot of good young German keepers in the teams plus the experienced keepers also have mostly quite some years in them still. IMO it is not too easy for a foreign keeper to break into any BL team nowadays (Benaglio is one rare example for a foreign keeper atm).

If you look a the BL teams: Bayern - Neuer, Dortmund - Weidenfeller, Schalke Hildebrand/Unnerstall/Fährmann, Leverkusen - Leno, Hamburg - Adler, Stuttgart - Ulreich, BMG - ter Stegen, Stuttgart - Mielitz, Hoffenheim - Wiese, Hannover - Zieler, Freiburg - Baumann, Eintracht Frankfurt - Trapp, Düsseldorf - Giefer...
All of these will likely trust in their keepers first.

Mainz (Wetklo), Nürnberg (Schäfer), Augsburg (Jentzsch), and Fürth (Grün) are the only teams where he might find a spot, but I cannot see either of them pay a substantial transfer fee for a GK, and Basel will ask not little money for Sommer.

Moreover, the question is whether he wants to move in the first place. In numerous interviews he stressed that it was always his dream to be Basel's Nr.1 and for now he wants to stay there.

BTW, BL teams are rarely afraid to sign a young keeper. We have several who are still eligible to play U21 (Leno, ter Stegen, Baumann, Trapp) XD
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:36 pm

rwo power wrote:Moreover, the question is whether he wants to move in the first place. In numerous interviews he stressed that it was always his dream to be Basel's Nr.1 and for now he wants to stay there.

So, do you expect him to end his career at Basel? Twisted Evil

I believe that for him it will be hard to adapt in English Premier League.There is much more pressure than in BL.Also, Serie A teams often prefer more experienced goalkeepers, that's why i consider Bundesliga the perfect place for young GKs like him.

La Liga can also be an option but it wouldn't be the best choice for him; right now Spanish La Liga isn't a good league for young goalkeepers who want to improve their abilities, i am talking about foreigners.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:45 pm

vlafy wrote:
rwo power wrote:Moreover, the question is whether he wants to move in the first place. In numerous interviews he stressed that it was always his dream to be Basel's Nr.1 and for now he wants to stay there.
So, do you expect him to end his career at Basel? Twisted Evil
Probably not, but from his interviews he repeatedly stated that he first wants to cement his spot at Basel. After all, he only got the Nr.1 spot this season after Costanzo's contract wasn't extended.

vlafy wrote:I believe that for him it will be hard to adapt in English Premier League.There is much more pressure than in BL.Also, Serie A teams often prefer more experienced goalkeepers, that's why i consider Bundesliga the perfect place for young GKs like him.
Actually I would totally love to see him in the Bundesliga, but only if he'd get a Nr.1 spot. He's to good to sit on the bench, but Germany is a GK country and we always have lots of homegrown GKs. I mean - 17 of the 18 BL teams regularly start a German GK. The only exception is Wolfsburg with Benaglio.

vlafy wrote:La Liga can also be an option but it wouldn't be the best choice for him; right now Spanish La Liga isn't a good league for young goalkeepers who want to improve their abilities, i am talking about foreigners.
Well, the Bundesliga gives a lot of young keepers a chance, but most of them come from the academies of their clubs and unfortunately there is only a finite number of jobs available. (BTW, from what I read he speaks Spanish, too, so La Liga wouldn't be that bad a choice ^^)
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:55 pm

rwo power wrote:
vlafy wrote:So, do you expect him to end his career at Basel? Twisted Evil
Probably not, but from his interviews he repeatedly stated that he first wants to cement his spot at Basel. After all, he only got the Nr.1 spot this season after Costanzo's contract wasn't extended.

It was a rhetorical question Very Happy .

In Premier League are also some goalkeepers strongly set on their position.Some examples:David De Gea (Manchester United - also has Lindegaard), Petr Cech (Chelsea), Szczesny (Arsenal), Lloris (Tottenham - and of course Brad Friedel), Krul (Newcastle), Pepe Reina (Liverpool), Howard (Everton), Schwarzer (Fulham), Al-Habsi (Wigan), Hart (Manchester City), Given (Aston Villa), Green & Julio Cesar (QPR), Begovic (Stoke), Mignolet (Sunderland) etc.

Maybe Ruddy (Norwich), Davis (Southampton) and Federici (Reading) are replaceable right now.But at least comparing to BL, those clubs can afford Yann Sommer for sure Wink.

The idea is that he must be careful when he will make the decision to move away from Basel.It must be not too soon, but also it mustn't be too late.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:08 pm

vlafy wrote:Maybe Ruddy (Norwich), Davis (Southampton) and Federici (Reading) are replaceable right now.But at least comparing to BL, those clubs can afford Yann Sommer for sure Wink.

The idea is that he must be careful when he will make the decision to move away from Basel.It must be not too soon, but also it mustn't be too late.
hmm What about Ligue1? It's defo stronger than the Swiss Superleague, and I think OL has a vacancy right now and they usually play in Europe, too ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:17 pm

rwo power wrote:hmm What about Ligue1? It's defo stronger than the Swiss Superleague, and I think OL has a vacancy right now and they usually play in Europe, too ^^

I thought about it, but i am not sure it's a good choice.It is risky for him to choose a club from Ligue 1.Probably Lyon has bigger claims and they will use more experienced GKs.PSG has Sirigu, Marseille has Mandanda, Bordeaux has Carrasso and other teams couldn't certainly ensure a bright future for Sommer.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:33 pm

Well, if Yann Sommer could get to OL, it would be a great option. Again he'd have no problems communicating as he's fluent in French, too (I could actually understand his French better than his Schwyzerdytsch when I heard a French language interview with him XD), and considering the fact that OL signed Hugo Lloris for 8.5 mio € from Nice when he was but 21, they do put trust in young keepers, too.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:45 pm

OL has Vercoutre and Mathieu Gorgelin (22 years old).He is at Lyon since 2011 but he was on loan at Red Star FC.Now he's back at his first love, Olympique Lyon.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/mathieu-gorgelin/profil/spieler_60543.html

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathieu_Gorgelin

I believe that OL will rely on his services in the next few years.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:53 pm

Hm-hm. Well, in that case it doesn't look so good after all *snif*

Ah well, for now he'll be at Basel anyway and he can prove himself against Sporting, Genk and Videoton in the EL. ^^ (Sporting vs Basel is at 20 Sep 2012, 21:05 GMT+2, btw)
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:04 am

Basel has a good chance to pass the group stages and Sommer should be their leader in this season's european adventure.It's not a priority for me, but if time will help me, I will watch Basel's games in Europe League this autumn, even if it won't be LIVE.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:16 am

I have to juggle my attention between Yann Sommer and Ron-Robert Zieler - um, I mean Basel and Hannover as their matches are at the same time. *sighs*
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:15 pm

rwo power wrote:I have to juggle my attention between Yann Sommer and Ron-Robert Zieler - um, I mean Basel and Hannover as their matches are at the same time. *sighs*
I just stumbled over this, so I guess Basel wins by quite a margin Razz

Spoiler:
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:47 am

In this weekend's match of the Grasshoppers Club vs St.Gallen, Roman Bürki, the 21 year old goalkeeper of GC, managed to set a new Swiss Super League record with 630 minutes without conceding.

Right when he had just surpassed the old record (611 minutes, set by David Zibung of Luzern in 2007/08), a penalty was given against him, but Roman Bürki managed to save it, thus extending the goal-less streak.

Now he is attacking the overall Swiss clean sheet record of 772 minutes which was set in 1994 by the goalkeeper of 3rd division club FC Münsingen, Martin Bürki (Roman Bürki's father), whose record run was cut short by an own goal then - just like it happened with Manuel Neuer's clean sheet record attempt in the last season for Bayern.

Swiss Goalkeeper Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Buerki10
Roman Bürki's penalty save against St.Gallen
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by the xcx Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:21 am

This is RWOs version of fap thread Very Happy
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:27 am

So, this thread is, like, half about RWO's day dream stuff about shirtless men who bizarrely carry their sweaty shirt on their shoulder after shower and half about her affection to stats.. hmm

Well, nothing wrong with that!
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:34 am

I still hold up my opinion that goalkeepers deserve more attention, too. Most people here fawn only about the guys who score the goals, but the ones who save the goals need some love, too (and especially if they are cute). Heart
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:26 pm

Yesterday, Yann Sommer was awarded the trophy as best Swiss football goalie 2012:

Swiss Goalkeeper Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Yann-s19

(The guy on the left is Reto Berra, the best Swiss icehockey goalie 2012, BTW)

Source: http://www.bielertagblatt.ch/sport/ehc-biel/news/weitere-auszeichnung-fuer-berra
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next