Mr Nick09
rwo power
S
113 posters

Page 14 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next

Go down

Olivier Giroud - Page 14 Empty Re: Olivier Giroud

Post by Arquitecto Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:50 am

The problem behind Giroud's recent drop in form is fatigue as there is little need to overcomplicate his failures. Giroud is forged in the mould of strikers who are built on the use of intelligence and exploiting channels to reach balls, rather than flair, trickery and shot positioning. When you are physically (or mentally) fatigued, your body simply does not respond in the same manner to which is needed for you to think one step ahead of the defence, to which is trademark of a CF in the form of Giroud. He also has been lacking service within the bigger games due to Arsenal's more predictable and cautious ventures within those fixtures; hence why you see him drifting wide or deep to catalyse link-up play and less visual cues of him moving within the box. Back to the original point, he has been starved or rest thus having himself not respond to what he attempts to calibrate, result of Podolski's injury and Wenger's lack of faith in Bendtner.

Which is why Carlo usually gave extra rest to Pippo Inzaghi to optimize upon his form.

Giroud also needs to understand that his position is at risk, as a spell of bench time can serve him far better on the longer run in reinventing his game and providing him the rest he needs.

Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:56 am

Personally, i think Giroud needs to be limited to 5 games a month.  Should be at 20 starts right now.  He's already at 25 and the month isn't over yet...  

I understand why Wenger is riding him so much because he's very important for set piece defending and offers hold up play that nobody else on the team can... but it's obvious that he's burning out.  You don't want his confidence to start dropping more than it has.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:02 pm

sportsczy wrote:Personally, i think Giroud needs to be limited to 5 games a month.  Should be at 20 starts right now.  He's already at 25 and the month isn't over yet...  

I understand why Wenger is riding him so much because he's very important for set piece defending and offers hold up play that nobody else on the team can... but it's obvious that he's burning out.  You don't want his confidence to start dropping more than it has.

Concurred.

Giroud is 6'4 and weighs 90 KGs and moves A LOT for a man of his stature, given his aforementioned style of play. Such work-rate and responsibility for a man of his size without the correct recovery can damage him on the long-run given on what he produces athletically. He may not be one of Arsenal's superstars yet tactically his importance in Wenger's system is undoubted, hence why I have my reservations on what success an equally good Poldi can produce for them. Gooners who are critical of his presence at Arsenal are slow to remember how much he actually brings to the table, even when not scoring.

A pleasant surprise.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:45 pm

Quite right.

I think Giroud can be/is already a wonderful striker for Arsenal. He's precisely what Wenger wants and needs in a front-man. Despite Arsenal's (deserved) reputation for "pretty" football, Wenger has targeted a very certain type of striker in recent years. He want's a large striker that is willing to drop back and get involved in play, but whose main responsibility is to finish chances created by the more imaginitive and technical players supporting him. Bendtner, Chamakh, and now Giroud are all of a similar ilk. They are all fundamentally the same type of striker, even if they do vary in their effectiveness in the EPL.

So, how do you ensue that Giroud maintians form and continues to be the striker Arsenal needs? You buy a second striker that can play a similar role and give Giroud a rest. With that in mind, the rumors of Arsenal's interest in Konstantinos Mitroglou make more sense. Mitroglou is 6'2 and ~90Kg, and he plays a very powerful and direct style. Unfortunately for Arsenal, he recently signed a new contract and is unlikely to leave in January. Alvaro Morata is another name that seems to be constantly linked with a move away from Madrid (either permanent or loan). Arsenal could be a perfect venue for him to gain some game experience. Then again, I'm not sure how Gunners would feel about entrusting their title challenge to a 21 year-old kid that has yet to garner regular, first-team football.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:22 pm

ExtremistEnigma wrote:Giroud is basically a glorified, French version of Calol.
hm?
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:08 am

Still think his form is down to fatigue but I'm still not sure why he's getting all the abuse he is.

He was never a top quality striker, he was merely solid. Arsenal NEEDED to sign a "top top" forward/finisher in the summer, and they didn't. That's not Giroud's fault. He has limitations. Most players do. But it's quite clear that he's played far too much this season without too much breaks. He can't even run anymore.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Le_Force Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:16 am

ExtremistEnigma wrote:
ExtremistEnigma wrote:Giroud is basically a glorified, French version of Calol.
hm?
You meant Caroll by that?

If by any chance then yes, with a Giroud having an edge over his first touch. I think I speak on behalf of all Gunner fans to either get him replaced or sort himself out.

Le_Force
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:41 am

We will struggle to get rid of him.
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:19 pm

You can get atleast 15m+ for him if he agrees to join a mid-table team in the PL.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:24 pm

why get rid of him? he is perfect second striker option unless he wants to play for a midtable club
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:26 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:why get rid of him? he is perfect second striker option unless he wants to play for a midtable club
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:30 pm

We can hardly sign a striker and you want us to get rid of one? Laughing
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:30 pm

He's not been that bad.

I don't know how his particular expectation gap developed, but instead of taking out your frustrations on him maybe consider that everyone and their mother knew that he was never going to be enough to lead the line all season long.

Or good enough to be your main striker. Period.

Calling him worse than he actually his isn't going to make him worse, Just like overrating him didn't make him better.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:37 pm

What's up with Poldi? He played the CF role at Koln, and he'd link up great with Ozil, no? Why's he being seen the bench for majority of the season? I know he struggled with injury at the start of the season, but surely he'd be fit by now?!
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:44 pm

Problem with Podolski is not Podolski...  you have Arteta, Wilshere, Cazorla, Ozil and Rosicky.  Basically 4 small AMs and a broken down CM Laughing Add Podolski who isn't really a central striker but a winger who can score... and you're really making life very easy on the defense.  It's not like Giroud isn't an average CF; he is.  But playing a winger who can score as a CF isn't going to make things better.  If anything, Arsenal should play Ozil as false 9 and put some speed in one of the corridors...  Ozil has played false 9 for Germany NT i think.  Now if you put Ozil as the false 9 and Podolski next to him on the left, now you got something...
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:48 pm

Özil played false nine for us once, and not very successfully. Not saying it couldn't work, but it all doesn't change the fact Arsenal will have to sign another striker.

Wenger really *bleep* up by not getting someone to rotate with Giroud.
Podolski simply isn't great in that role.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:49 pm

I'm really starting to hate this false 9 term nowadays. Mad

And like I said, Poldi played the CF role just fine at Koln. He played the same role when he emerged as a youngster. He only really 'turned' as a winger to get into the German NT team and then to get into Bayern's side. He was very much a CF before, and after (his second stint with Koln) that. Give him a little time to re-adapt to it, and Arsenal will be better off imo. Gives much more energy, will break the lines etc. A bigger goal threat, too.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:58 pm

Podolski can't play alone up front, he shows no movement, poor positoning and is generally bad in that position. He's naturally a left forward in the mould of Walcott.

In Köln he was partnered by another striker and wasn't isolated alone up front, besides Köln were a counter attacking team and had a different role there.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:00 pm

Red Alert wrote:I'm really starting to hate this false 9 term nowadays. Mad

Yes, that's why we at Bayern employ Götze and Müller in interchanging roles for that in what shall from now on be called 'falsche Fuffziger'TM
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:02 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:Podolski can't play alone up front, he shows no movement, poor positoning and is generally bad in that position. He's naturally a left forward in the mould of Walcott.

In Köln he was partnered by another striker and wasn't isolated alone up front, besides Köln were a counter attacking team and had a different role there.

Can't be any worse than Giroud right now though, can he? Oliver can't run/trap a ball anymore.  Laughing 
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:03 pm

no man... i've watched Poldi for a while now.  He doesn't make the runs of a 9.  His movements are those of a winger who can score even when he's played in the CF role as his positioning and runs are designed to come from the side as opposed to between the lines and CBs.... if you're talking about his pre-Bayern years:  That was 8 years ago Laughing 

I mean Podolski's scoring record is not that great.  He's only scored at least 20 goals once in his life and that was in 2004-2005 when Cologne was in the second division in Germany.  He's really made his entire reputation with his performances on NT...

Last edited by sportsczy on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:03 pm

What is Chamberlin exactly? I think they could put someone on the right, no one is running down that side. Earlier in the season Sagna was doing a pretty good job overlapping and providing width, but he's back to being normal.

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:03 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:

Yes, that's why we at Bayern employ Götze and Müller in interchanging roles for that in what shall from now on be called 'falsche Fuffziger'TM

Very Happy Gotze to play the falsche FuffzigerTM in the World Cup?  Razz 
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:04 pm

Le Samourai wrote:What is Chamberlin exactly? I think they could put someone on the right, no one is running down that side. Earlier in the season Sagna was doing a pretty good job overlapping and providing width, but he's back to being normal.

Playing everywhere to be honest.

I think he needs to play on the right, especially with Walcott out injured right now. Looks most natural there, and was the only "positive" from the Arsenal camp against Liverpool last week.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:06 pm

Red Alert wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:

Very Happy Gotze to play the falsche FuffzigerTM in the World Cup?  Razz 

Not alone, you always have to use two falsche FuffzigerTM in a team.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:11 pm

The thing is, he's worse Laughing

Giroud atleast scores against rubbish opposition, Podolski can't even do that when he's playing up front Laughing

The only thing left is Lord Bendtner, Sanogo or Özil/Gnabry aa false 9. I don't find Özil as false 9 a bad idea, he played so against Sweden and France with Reus/Müller wide and had two good games.

We could do the same with Podolski/Chambo wide... now that I think of it, it's worth a try because it would allow Cazorla to play centrally aswell.

But Wenger would rather play Sanogo up front than try something new Rolling Eyes
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next