Raptorgunner
RealGunner
35 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Hillsborough Memorial Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Hillsborough Memorial Thread

Post by Red Alert Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:14 pm

Letter from Andy Burnham and Steve Rotheram in the Mirror

We come from the different halves of one great footballing city.

In 1989, we were at different FA Cup semi-finals – each hoping the other would lose, but with the expectation that rivalries would be renewed at Wembley that May.

But, on that fateful April day, the city of Liverpool learned that Bill Shankly was wrong about one thing: Football is not more important than life and death.

From that day onwards, reds and blues across Merseyside have stood united in solidarity behind the Hillsborough families as they have pursued their dignified campaign for truth and justice.

In Parliament, we have worked together in that same spirit.

It’s been a hard and lonely road, with many setbacks for the families along the way. But it’s because an entire city never wavered that today, finally, the families will prevail and the full truth about Hillsborough will at last be told.

We have not seen the report of the Hillsborough Independent Panel.

But we know enough about the tragedy to say this with confidence: It will be confirmed as one of the greatest injustices of the 20th century.

Hillsborough brought one of the biggest losses of British lives on British soil in one day since the end of the Second World War.

But what makes it even worse is that the the victims and survivors were wrongly blamed as the authorities sought to deflect attention from their own failings.

The failure to ensure Hillsborough had a valid safety certificate.

The failure to act on many “near-misses” at Hillsborough down the years.

The failure to ensure people’s safety on the day and the shambolic emergency response.

Almost immediately, a campaign began to portray the Liverpool supporters in the worst possible light.

Even as the horror of Hillsborough was unfolding before people’s eyes, the first lie was told.

Early media reports carried a statement from the officer in charge that “the fans had forced the gate”.

In fact, he had ordered it to be opened.

Families arriving at Hillsborough from Liverpool later that night to identify their loved-ones spoke of being treated as though they were under suspicion.

Blood alcohol levels were taken from the then 95 bodies.

It is hard to imagine now how such crude tactics could ever have worked. But Hillsborough belonged to a different era.

If all this was not bad enough, at the official inquest, a crude cut-off point of 3.15 was introduced and no evidence heard afterwards.

Unbelievably, only this week will bereaved parents learn personal details about what happened to their children.

From today (Wednesday), the families will be at last able to say they have cleared the names of their loved-ones, of the survivors and of the Liverpool supporters.

It is impossible to put a value on that.

After truth comes justice.

We will ask the Prime Minister for a new inquest without the cruel cut-off.

We will fight to remove the unsound verdict of “accidental death” from the official record.

Today, truth.

Tomorrow, justice for the 96.

Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:34 pm

THE ANFIELD WRAP ‏@TheAnfieldWrap
RT @TheFarm2012 Police changed or deleted 116 of 164 statements by officers to shift blame on to the fans in an orchestrated cover up!

:facepalm:
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Chippy Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:40 pm

@LTraynorMirror: "I'm being told report will say blood alcohol level taken from survivors in hospital after Hillsborough without their knowledge, but alcohol played no part in disaster."

@LTraynorMirror: "Also hearing from report: If stricken fans had 0% alcohol, checks then made on police database for criminal history."

@LTraynorMirror: "In report, its alleged; Coroner questioned need for any post mortem as he said all died from same cause."

:facepalm:
Chippy
Chippy
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:41 pm

''Many lives could have been saved.''

*28 to be exact
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:46 pm

Cameron: This appalling death toll compounded by attempt to blame the victims - today's report is black and white, fans not the cause of disaster.

Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:49 pm

From the Guardian Live Report account of Cameron's statement:

Cameron says the families have long believed that there was an attempt by the authorities to misrepresent what happened. The families were right. There were briefings to the media, and they led to the Sun story attacking fans. Today's report says this information came from a Sheffield news agency that was reporting comments by police officers.

Some 164 police statements were amended, he says. Many removed comments attacking the police.

Officers carried out police national computer checks on the dead to impugn their reputation.

Blood tests were also taken from the dead to see if they had been drinking. This was unacceptable, he says. Drinking levels were normal for an event like this.

But there was no evidence that the government tried to conceal the truth.

One government briefing said the police had been close to deceitful. It said this was familiar.

Cameron says the then government should have done more to challenge the false things said about the fans.

Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:53 pm

I possibly can't imagine what the families connected to the 96 are feeling right now. They'll no doubt be happy that the truth is finally out but it's taken 23 years, yes TWENTY THREE YEARS, for the truth to finally come out. 23 years of lies covered up. Unbelievable.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:43 pm

Too long to copy + paste so here is the Report Summary done by the independent (14 pages )

http://hillsborough.independent.gov.uk/report/Section-1/summary/page-1/

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:56 pm

A number of MPs have called on The Sun to run a front page apology to Liverpool supporters tomorrow
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:17 pm

that would be awesome if the sun did that. unbelievable how corrupt individuals and organisations can be. Sad i feel sick
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:34 pm

Awesome?
S*n can go to hell.
People didnt wait 23 years just for an apology from the S*n, The paper should be shut down.
The apology changes nothing.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:06 pm

What a momentous day for the families and friends of those who lost their lives at Hillsborough. I hope that today they can receive some sense of closure from the truth. But 23 years, 23 years is far far too long to have to wait. It is shocking and an absolute disgrace that the authorities were able to sit on this information for so long. It boggles the mind really the scale and the inhumane nature of the cover up.

Finding the truth is one thing. Justice is now the next step. I hope the families don’t have to wait as long. Any person who can be proved to be involved in the cover up must be charged and prosecuted. Sadly this is something I don’t see happening.

Watching and reading of today’s events is a very emotional experience and I hope that the fight will not stop until those culpable are brought to justice.
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:13 pm

Nishank wrote:Awesome?
S*n can go to hell.
People didnt wait 23 years just for an apology from the S*n, The paper should be shut down.
The apology changes nothing.

The media have too much power in these times, the government will not be able to shut a huge paper such as The Sun which is probably the most popular paper in Britain, just wouldn't happen. Recently they were the only paper to publish prince Harry's naked pictures in Vegas, did the royal family's PR team do anything??? no, there is nothing they can do against powerful paper such as this one

So basically an apology is the least they could do... misery after misery is piled upon the sun with the phone hacking scandal etc, wouldn't be surprised if more scandals are uncovered in the near future

anyways, i hope the families of the 96 people who lost their lives finally have found their justice or truth to what actually happened, now they can know what actually happened on the 15th of April 1989
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:20 pm

Irish_Catalan_Scouser wrote:Any person who can be proved to be involved in the cover up must be charged and prosecuted. Sadly this is something I don’t see happening.

same here, i just don't think anybody will be held accountable for what happened during the Hillsborough disaster which is a shame because whoever ordered to open those gates/changed the cause of death must be punished in any shape or form

Sure it took the government 23 years to release official documents about what happened, but shouldn't that have been done straight away??? is that it??? someone has to be held accountable or else whats the point of all this?? the families might have known the truth but those in charge of the police force on that day which had a hand in all of this are still probably at work in their shiny sofas, drinking coffee clicking their fingers, seriously if the government really want justice to be served to the 96 killed whoever caused their death has to be put into jail or even worse

Last edited by halamadrid2 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:35 pm

How this many people were allowed in is beyond me

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Kelvin MacKenzie, who was the editor of The Sun at the time of the Hillsborough tragedy and who wrote the headline, today offered his "profuse apologies to the people of Liverpool for that headline'.He added: 'It has taken more than two decades, 400,000 documents and a two-year inquiry to discover to my horror that it would have been far more accurate had I written the headline The Lies rather than The Truth. I published in good faith and I am sorry that it was so wrong."-DM

halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:56 pm

Apology 23 years after just because Everyone now KNOWS the truth.

He knew what he published was Bullshit back 23 years ago, The whole Publication house Knew that, and so did majority of the public.

Everything now is just giving " trying to save your collar " speeches. MacKenzie would have been out of Job 23 years ago if he had said this back then. Now he has lived a great life and earned shit load of money, he couldn't care less what happens to him

Last edited by RealGunner on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:07 pm

that Mackenzie dude must have made a sliding u-turn

in 2006 he said this......"i only apologised because the newspaper's owner Rupert Murdoch ordered me to do so. He said, "I was not sorry then and I'm not sorry now" for the paper's coverage

He is probably not sorry still and only "apologized" because he has become a hate figure around the country
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:14 pm

*bleep* the sun, never buy that piece of shit newspaper.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:25 pm

Great job ynwa on giving us live reports, thank you so much.......Ive been very busy with studies but great to hear the truth is finally out. 23 years of injusties for families that lost loved ones. What a cruel world we live in, where govts and media can cover their own asses and blame the ordinary citizens.

PS if i ever become megarich, i will buy the rights to The Sun and shut that piece of sh!t of paper down....absoulte disgrace to journalism!

JFT96
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:15 pm

Hillsborough Memorial Thread - Page 2 654928246
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Don't like posting this newspaper but on this occasion...

Hillsborough Memorial Thread - Page 2 654931552
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:25 pm

LFC Statement

April 15th 1989 will forever be etched on the minds of everyone connected with Liverpool Football Club. It was a day when 96 supporters attended a football match and never came home.

Over the last 23 years the families who lost loved ones and the survivors of this terrible tragedy have shown immense dignity and resilience in their tireless campaign for justice.

For 23 years they have campaigned for the full disclosure of documents relating to the disaster and for someone to take responsibility for what happened. Today, following years of inquiries, investigations and setbacks, the Hillsborough Independent Panel has announced its findings in relation to the disaster.

Liverpool Football Club commends the Hillsborough Independent Panel report which acknowledges the avoidable catastrophic failures before, during and after the disaster. The club also welcomes the Prime Minister's apology to the families and survivors on behalf of the Government and await the Attorney General's pending review of the report. After 23 long and painful years, our fans have finally been fully exonerated of all blame. Today, the world knows what we have always known, that Liverpool fans were not just innocent on that terrible day but that there was reprehensible and hurtful misrepresentation of the truth.

Liverpool Football Club would like to thank the Hillsborough Independent Panel for its rigorous work over the past two-and-a-half years and for publishing a comprehensive report based on the in-depth research and analysis into hundreds of thousands of documents.

Tom Werner, chairman, Liverpool Football Club, said: "On behalf of myself, John and everyone at the club, I would like to extend our thoughts and prayers on this hugely significant and deeply emotional day to everyone affected by the Hillsborough disaster. Today the world has heard the real truth about what happened at Hillsborough.

"As a football club, we will continue to remember those who died and support the families who lost loved ones on that terrible day. We hope that today's findings will give some comfort to the families and survivors and go some way to addressing some of the key questions that have hung over the Hillsborough tragedy for the last 23 years."

The following statement has been issued on behalf of Steven Gerrard:

The courage and dignity shown by the Hillsborough families and survivors is an example to all of us.

For 23 years they have fought for truth and justice on behalf of the victims and survivors of this terrible tragedy and all Liverpool supporters.

Victims and survivors suffered not just on April 15, 1989 in Sheffield, but for over two decades afterwards with the shameful slandering of their actions by people who abused their position and power.

Speaking as someone whose family directly suffered, I know the pain and hurt will remain.

However, I hope that today's report helps bring some comfort, now that everyone knows what happened on that day.

The following statement has been issued on behalf of Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers:

I was incredibly moved by the vigil today; the courage and dignity displayed by the families and survivors is truly humbling.

This was a tragedy that affected not just a club and a city, but the entire football community.

The way the fans have tirelessly campaigned for truth and justice has helped to keep Hillsborough in the public domain and helped educate people as to what really happened that fateful day. They deserve enormous credit for what has been achieved today.

The victims, families and survivors are an integral part of Liverpool Football Club and always will be.

@kennethdalglish
Very positive outcome. 23 yrs waiting for the truth next step justice.

http://twitter.com/kennethdalglish/status/245896334777921536

@marinadalglish
The Truth now The Justice. Traumatic day for the families, so proud of them they never gave up.

http://twitter.com/marinadalglish/status/245891976241750017

Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:29 pm

Followed the events of the day all day at work via TalkSport.

There were some unbelievably moving words and bone-chilling first-hand accounts.

Sometimes words simply aren't enough.

Hillsborough Memorial Thread - Page 2 FinalFinal96Logo-600x455
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:46 pm

Anyone has seen the twitter timeline of Steve Cohen ?
used to write for Chelsea's website....absolutely vile human being.

I wanted to punch my screen readying, and I can't believe that scum bag writes for Yahoo Sports, and is one of the voice of American journalism.

Truly despecible....I wish him the worst ever....I wonder if he would have been as ignorant if his 10 year old son died in such a tragic manner.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:58 pm

The country is amazing, How can someone get away with a national incident for 23 years?

I will gladly bow down to each person individually.... Fought against the media and the police, and won, The least they could get after the trauma they have been through.

Still can't believe how the people at fault got away with it for 23 years.

Last edited by Nishank on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next