Post by Luca on Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:57 am

For Italy
Back to 3-5-2, yes.
Balotelli without a doubt.
Abate will probably keep his place.

For England
Welbeck
Yes
Keep a body on him constantly, however this is difficult because Italy usually plays with 3-4 midfielders which opens space up for Pirlo

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Re: Quarter final: England vs Italy discussion

Post by ErPupone on Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:59 am

I think Italy should stick to the 4 man defense for this one, Abate, Bonucci, Barzagli and Balzaretti. I think Pirlo should be slightly more advanced, with De Rossi sitting in front of the defense. I would like to see Nocerino in the position that Motta covered against Ireland, that would be my only change in the starting 11.

Sempre Forza Roma
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by chinomaster182 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:23 am

Italy should absolutely go 3-5-2, this is the kind of game where the formation is strongest, it counters the 4-4-2 in every single way. It keeps width but also a 3v2 man midfield, in the back there's a spare man.

I think Balotelli first because i believe England will defend deep and he has a better first touch, this won't be a key tactical decision though imo.

I don't remember which fullbacks Italy picked, i believe they should pick the quickest ones though.

Welbeck should partner Rooney

Its tricky between Milner and Lolcott, if England starts pressing its Milner most def, if not Wallcott on the break.

England can nullify Pirlo by keeping someone to press him hard all game, this will open tons of space though in the 3-5-2 vs 4-4-2. I think England should stay deep and park the bus to nullify Pirlo.

In fact with Woy i have no doubt England will park the Bus, its their best chance.

Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred on Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:28 am

Italy:
!.) As much as I like the 3-5-2, I don't think they should use it against England. England are more likely than most teams to try to break quickly up the wings and play directly to the CF/ST. This could pose problems to a narrow, three-man defense. With the wing-backs likely contributing to the attack, they could be caught with a four on three situation very easily.
2.) Di Natale should start. I think the combination of him and Cassano may be too quick for Lescott and Terry. Balotelli, while fast, tends to drift out of games. Di Natale and Cassano will constantly keep the two English CBs on their toes. If need be, Balotelli can come in as a super-sub late in the match.
3.) If they have a four man back-line, Abate should definitely be the RB.

England:
1.) I really think Carroll needs to start this game. The Italians have shown a weakness against defending more direct play (Mandzukic caught them napping for the equalizer). If Roy sits back hoping to counter, they could well use Carroll's aerial ability to their advantage.
2.) I'm going to give Milner the nod for a very specific reason: he's a better traditional winger. He's more likely to stay wide and swing in crosses, taking full advantage of an untested CB partnership (or triad).
3.) England won't nullify Pirlo. Gerrard won't be directly matched up against him and Parker isn't crafty enough to keep up with him. Parker can be a bit of a blunt instrument sometimes, and Pirlo will make a fool of him more than once. What England can do is nullify the outlets Pirlo can distribute to (the wingbacks in the 3-5-2 and the strikers). It will likely be physical and ugly, but this England team hasn't shied away from "winning ugly" in this tournament.

donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by JespSwe on Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:38 am

italy should definitely revert back to 3-5-2.....

with 4-3-1-2 italy risked awful lot, they played badly, even players themselves admittted that they werent comfortable.

with 3-5-2 i reckon italy played awesome, actually i think they played that beautifully since, like world cup 2006. only some lack of concentration and lack of being clinical cost them but when i saw them against irish, italians suffered so badly physically, and with counterattack irish couldnt capitalize, its now england we are talking about and not irish team and guys like rooney and welback young are going to take their chances.

so italy needs to go back to 3-5-2 with it, the team chemistry the team work is perfect, they just need to change the players, like abate for maggio, balzaretti for giacccherini motta should stay as b2b or DM, nocerino should probably play. or i m happy with how marchisio has done job. de rossi barzagli and bonucci as CB.

upfront cassano and balotelli completeling the lineup.

italy playing as 4-3-1-2 i am convinced they will struggle the entire game, and they probably will lose because really motta as TQ was horrendous, and pirlo really struggled with lack of security with that tactics.

On Pato, "Did you comb your hair whilst standing in a wind tunnel?" - Gattuso
JespSwe
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends on Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:12 am

For Italy:
Should they go back to 5 men defense? --------- Yes
Who should start, Balo or Di Natale? -------------- Balotelli
Did Abate do enough to keep his place? -------------Yes

For England:
Who should partner Rooney upfront ? ------------ Welbeck
Should Walcott start ahead of Milner? ------------ Yes

How can England nullify Pirlo? --------- They can nullify Pirlo only by completely changing their gameplan. Man Utd has proven repeatedly that you can nullify Pirlo by playing someone high-energy who will close him down quickly high up the pitch (Fletcher and Park etc) - If England plays Rooney alone up top and uses Milner high up the pitch in the center they can nullify Pirlo....otherwise he will dictate the play

twitter: @yobhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Tifoso Romanista on Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:19 am

Schweini wrote:The thread in Euro2012 sections is more of a troll thread and just for lulz. Here let's discuss how each team should approach the game in order to have most chance of success.

For Italy:
Should they go back to 5 men defense? 3-5-2? No , England plays 4 4 1 1 or 442 if they catch Italy on attack it will be 4 Vs 3 at defence , same thing bas Ireland as prandelli knows that .
Who should start, Balo or Di Natale?Di natale
Did Abate do enough to keep his place? I think so , Maggio wasn't playing well

For England:
Who should partner Rooney upfront ?CArroll
Should Walcott start ahead of Milner?i dont know , which one has better crosses?
How can England nullify Pirlo?Out numbering the midfield

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:15 am

Schweini wrote:The thread in Euro2012 sections is more of a troll thread and just for lulz. Here let's discuss how each team should approach the game in order to have most chance of success.

For Italy:
Should they go back to 5 men defense? No.
Who should start, Balo or Di Natale? Di Natale, England players won't know what to expect.
Did Abate do enough to keep his place? Yes.

For England:
Who should partner Rooney upfront ? Carroll, aerial ability needed.
Should Walcott start ahead of Milner? Maybe Milner, he works his socks off both ways the pitch.
How can England nullify Pirlo? Stay organized, limit his passing options.
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano on Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:19 am

For Italy:
Should they go back to 5 men defense? No, Ingerland isnt an attacking powerhouse
Who should start, Balo or Di Natale? Di Natale ofc
Did Abate do enough to keep his place? Yep, dunno who better him or Maggio

For England:
Who should partner Rooney upfront ? Mr Caroll
Should Walcott start ahead of Milner?dunno
How can England nullify Pirlo? dont leave space, maybe marking him if he reverses to playing not deep?

First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by :{Mr.Mustachio! on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:45 am

Italian TV broadcast training sessions, Prandelli was trialing what is basically a 4-3-3. Many starters were rested for the session but Balotelli formed the central point with Giovinco on the right, many pundits convinced that on the left would be Cassano.

It's seemingly possible he will go with this formation, he wants to stretch the English defence.
:{Mr.Mustachio!
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:14 am

I think it would be in Italia's best interests to force England to come out by playing a more defensive game.

Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:17 am

BhritanniaBhlue wrote:How can England nullify Pirlo? --------- They can nullify Pirlo only by completely changing their gameplan. Man Utd has proven repeatedly that you can nullify Pirlo by playing someone high-energy who will close him down quickly high up the pitch (Fletcher and Park etc) - If England plays Rooney alone up top and uses Milner high up the pitch in the center they can nullify Pirlo....otherwise he will dictate the play

Ozil did this for Madrid as well when we last met.

This might explain why Prandelli will want to go 4-3-3 too, Pirlo will have more support in such a formation.

Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossoneri Ninja on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:17 am

I'd starve them of possession and make their wingers defend

If you put someone on Pirlo then you free up space for another Italy midfielder, which is why i don't think it would work in this situation. When man u or whoever did this against Milan they knew full well that the space afforded to gattuso and seedorf will not hurt them as much as both were not mobile enough to exploit this space, however italy have marchisio, ddr and motta who are more mobile and energetic than gattuso and seedorf.

Giancarlo     Brigate       Fadi         Potential      BigBoban 

VibeTribe
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am

@Rossoneri Ninja wrote:I'd starve them of possession and make their wingers defend

If you put someone on Pirlo then you free up space for another Italy midfielder, which is why i don't think it would work in this situation. When man u or whoever did this against Milan they knew full well that the space afforded to gattuso and seedorf will not hurt them as much as both were not mobile enough to exploit this space, however italy have marchisio, ddr and motta who are more mobile and energetic than gattuso and seedorf.

Not really. If England play 4-4-1-1 then the ''1'' covers Pirlo while still maintaining two banks of four at the back.

Also if you want to make their wingers defend your fullbacks will have to push up the pitch for that to happen, leaving space behind....

It's a dangerous game to play especially since England are just physically supirior to Italy imo. The only way to win is to not be sucked into England's game. Give them the ball, make them be the ones who feel like they have to win the game and take advatage of the mistakes they could make.

Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossoneri Ninja on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:37 am

@Zealous wrote:
@Rossoneri Ninja wrote:I'd starve them of possession and make their wingers defend

Not really. If England play 4-4-1-1 then the ''1'' covers Pirlo while still maintaining two banks of four at the back.

Also if you want to make their wingers defend your fullbacks will have to push up the pitch for that to happen, leaving space behind....

It's a dangerous game to play especially since England are just physically supirior to Italy imo. The only way to win is to not be sucked into England's game. Give them the ball, make them be the ones who feel like they have to win the game and take advatage of the mistakes they could make.

Quite right, however with only 1 upfront how is the ball going to transition from defence to attack? With Italy high up the pitch and out numbering England in central midfield and with their wingers pegged back, it'll be hard to play out smoothly from defence, also the option of "bang it up forward" won't be viable considering Rooney won't win anything in the air against either Barzagli or Bonucci.

England won't play without a strong Cf so that means Rooney will play the second striker role and if he were to charged with picking up Pirlo he'll be gassed within 70 min mark.

Giancarlo     Brigate       Fadi         Potential      BigBoban 

VibeTribe
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:46 am

Your underrating England in that regard. Guys like Gerrard, Welbeck, Young and Rooney will hurt you on the counter and they won't need long balls to do it either.

I see Milner picking up Pirlo tbh with Rooney just drifting to cover for him.

Carroll can make an impact off the bench and Walcott is dangerous when he's fresh and everyone else isn't..

I actually think Italy should play their 5-3-2 again. Do what they did to Spain.

Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

ITALY V ENGLAND= nearly two decades of anticipation. epicness!

Post by montoneboy on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:08 am

this is the match i have been waiting for. literally will explode. there is a large patriotic italian following on here and mixed with the english following this could be the match of the forum for along time to come. its also a bit of a LIVERPOOL V JUVENTUS fixture considering how many big names dilute both teams.

will say how much the english media are already portraying italy as a 1 man team. the balotelli show. do they not know how many world cup winners are in that squad? pirlo, buffon de rossi? these are the players the media should be focusing on, not Mr Jekyll and Hyde.

FORZA ITALIA and ENGLAND (at exactly the same rate)

montoneboy
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:14 am

Is this even a rivalry?

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by montoneboy on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:19 am

not exactly a rivalry, but for the huge number of Italian followers (who have had to deal with the constant negative media perception which english followers state of italian football) and part english part italians (for which on this forum there are alot) then this is a big deal

montoneboy
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:20 am

This is a Goallegacy rivalry more than anything lol

Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:26 am

I thought wiggles and sciacca are banned? :p

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:29 am

@Zealous wrote:Your underrating England in that regard. Guys like Gerrard, Welbeck, Young and Rooney will hurt you on the counter and they won't need long balls to do it either.

I see Milner picking up Pirlo tbh with Rooney just drifting to cover for him.

Carroll can make an impact off the bench and Walcott is dangerous when he's fresh and everyone else isn't..

I actually think Italy should play their 5-3-2 again. Do what they did to Spain.

Milner on Pirlo with Rooney covering for him.
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:35 am

Yeah but their spirit lingers on this board still :lucas :

Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by S32TABLANCA on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:52 am

You guys are so wrong. Over here, this clash has a huge political/cultural/historical background, and both countries have roughly equal support, and that support is ferverent. When England won their game setting up this clash, fights already started braking out. Sunday will be f*cking huge. FB is exploding. I will of course be out there filming it all and bailing out my Italianophilic friends if they get into too much trouble Very Happy

(Z do you understand this? Smile )

Montoneboy, where are you from?

VIVA MALTA
S32TABLANCA
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:57 am

This is a hard one to predict, I think Italy will take a narrow lead in the early stages and maybe run out of stamina later on.
Not 100% sure if England can respond though they for sure struggle to score.

Think Balotelli should definitely start here, also think milner & welbeck is going to be important for england in this match walcott is good as super sub....

Gemini
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:11 pm

I have no idea what that says lol but there is a vs in there so ''Watch England vs Italy''?

Oh and can I ask why Italy vs England is a big deal in Malta?

Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next