Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by harhar11 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:02 pm

@The Messiah wrote:
mtfootball wrote:
@The Messiah wrote:
mtfootball wrote:
@The Messiah wrote:I thought Messi was the flop of 2010 world cup and not C.Ronaldo.

Biggest flop in this year Euro is obviously no one but Barcelona Afellay, he flopped so hard.

Afellay barely played last season.

We're talking about Euro, ain't we...?

He played most matches for Holland

He didn't play very much, which means he might not of been ready for the Euros.

Isn't that more reason why he was the biggest flop, especially since he wasn't as fatigue as other players

You cant just expect someone who had a long term injury to start performing at WC level right away...

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Posts : 3646
Join date : 2011-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by DuringTheWar on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:52 pm

You cant compare someones performance in the copa america to the euros. The euros are a tournament that everyone tries their hardest to win, in the copa america some teams dont even bother sending their best teams. Messi's best game at the copa america was against an u23 team FACT.
And i think they were whistling messi specifically, they started whistling after he hit a free kick into outer space

_________________
Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out.
avatar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 2870
Join date : 2012-01-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by stunt on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:50 am

No. Please, for the love of god, tell me how did Ronaldo flop at WC 10. Last I heard, he was in the group of death, still managed to not lose a game there. And against Spain, lost to an (granted, barely) offside goal, despite the match being pretty even.

He didn't have one bad performance, not any outstanding ones either, but he managed.

stunt
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Sao Paulo
Posts : 467
Join date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by Don't call me James on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:46 am

RVP and Robben are the flops of this tournament simple as that.

_________________
avatar
Don't call me James
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina
Posts : 28115
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 101

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by Cruijf on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:05 am

Van Persie
Van Persie
Van Persie
Van Persie
Van Persie
Van Persie
Van Persie
Van Persie
Van Persie
Van Persie

And...

Van Persie

Holland was the worst team of the EURO, and and Van Persie was our worst player.

_________________
"People say football is life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more important than that."
avatar
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 3603
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by messixaviesta on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:17 am

@The Messiah wrote:I thought Messi was the flop of 2010 world cup and not C.Ronaldo.

I really can't understand how any of you can say or think that. It seems that people are going just by him having not scored and gotten beaten 4-0 in the quarter final. Anyone who actually remembers vivid details of that tournament right from the group stage will just not say that unless he is deliberately lying to start trouble here when there is no need for any. One more quick memory flash I would like to give is that before the quarter finals there were three players competing to be the best player at the tournament above all others - Forlan, Ozil and yes Messi.


messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 4207
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 39

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by messixaviesta on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:20 am

@harhar11 wrote:The only difference is that Cristiano Ronaldo teammates that dont rely on him to win, and can put ronaldo through on goal and at the same time defend properly while Messi at the Copa had none of that.

harhar, even though Argentina is traditionally a bigger team, I do feel that at this moment Portugal is a better team with better balance. Their coach is really good and one of the candidates for coach of the tournament. That said I don't want to use bad coaching, bad team mates etc. as excuses for a player as great as Messi. As far as I am concerned WC 2014 is the acid test in spite of all the limitations.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 4207
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 39

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by messixaviesta on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:23 am

Diego Armando Maradona wrote:You cant compare someones performance in the copa america to the euros. The euros are a tournament that everyone tries their hardest to win, in the copa america some teams dont even bother sending their best teams.

That most unfortunately is true. I remember during the Copa I felt as if some players were intentionally playing with less intensity to avoid injuries and ruin their club season. Can you say that about a single player at the Euro? However for comparing European and South American players in international football we hardly have any choice but to treat the two tournaments as equal.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 4207
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 39

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by messixaviesta on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:29 am

@stunt wrote:No. Please, for the love of god, tell me how did Ronaldo flop at WC 10. Last I heard, he was in the group of death, still managed to not lose a game there. And against Spain, lost to an (granted, barely) offside goal, despite the match being pretty even.

He didn't have one bad performance, not any outstanding ones either, but he managed.

Portugal didn't win a single game barring against North Korea. Drawing those games were due to extreme negative tactics and great defending. C.Ronaldo had nothing to do with that. He did literally nothing in attack all tournament. He was also very selfish and didn't use his team mates. He didn't track back either. Yes Portugal progressed from the supposed group of death but do you know why. The reason was the scheduling of the fixtures which had them play Brazil after Ivory Coast had already played them. If the fixtures had been reversed the outcome would have been reversed with 50% probability. The team was pathetic. The coach was pathetic. C.Ronaldo had to work against these limitations but he too was pathetic.


Last edited by messixaviesta on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 4207
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 39

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by messixaviesta on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:34 am

See let me make this very clear. For me C.Ronaldo flopping at WC 2010 is not open to debate. It's a FACT and I don't like talking to people who cannot even accept facts. Hence any post that I see henceforth trying to combat this point I won't reply to. Instead I will put that poster in my ignore list unless I know him from before as a poster I like discussing with.

Similarly the only thing I can interpret about people who are trying to say Messi flopped at WC 2010 is that they either don't understand football or their mind is blank about football history or they don't understand English.

One last time let me explain that flop of the tournament is not the tournament's worst player. Instead it is a superstar player who has severely underperformed to the extent of having a negligible influence on the tournament and/or having a negative effect on his team's prospects. Performing below the extremely high level expected of you is not equivalent to flopping because you could still be performing average to above average but disappointing people just because they expect so much more from you. There could be players from some countries at world cups who can barely kick a ball but we won't call them flops of the tournament because no one even knows them. C.Ronaldo flopped at WC 2010 because he had a negligible influence on the tournament. Messi didn't flop at WC 2010 because he was still above average and by far his team's best player in their journey to the quarter final and in that match as well. If this explanation also does not make the subject clear then there is nothing more left to say.

P.S. - This post has not been made to insult anyone and no names have been mentioned. It's meant as a disclaimer in case people wonder why I didn't reply to some of the posts henceforth because the entire topic was started by me and hence normally I would see it as a responsibility on my part to address questions and arguments that people come up with but that does not include responding to totally baseless and inane posts.






messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 4207
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 39

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by FennecFox7 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:59 am

ronaldo did disappoint in wc2010.. how is this so hard for people to understand. A bit offtopic, but for me messi has always been good for his country. I am also confidient that today ronaldo will not disappoint however

_________________

FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 6291
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 22

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by messixaviesta on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:16 am

Giggity5313 wrote:ronaldo did disappoint in wc2010.. how is this so hard for people to understand. A bit offtopic, but for me messi has always been good for his country. I am also confidient that today ronaldo will not disappoint however

Not for nothing are you one of the fairest posters here and a real delight to talk to. We have different sympathies today but I will always have respect for you.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 4207
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 39

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by billy_gr on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:30 am

The Dutch… saddly…
avatar
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 3453
Join date : 2011-06-29
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by billionmillion on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:20 pm

Giggity5313 wrote:ronaldo did disappoint in wc2010.. how is this so hard for people to understand. A bit offtopic, but for me messi has always been good for his country. I am also confidient that today ronaldo will not disappoint however
i always think you are CR fanboy but you always surprise me with your comments

Messi was voted top-10 player of WC. CR was no where. So its obvious CR was worse in 2010. all media talked about messi because they excepted from messi more than they did from ronaldo. Ronaldo flopped nobody even cared Cool

_________________
avatar
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 2440
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by McLewis on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:41 pm

Enough with the same old Messi/Ronaldo BS.

Messi is not European and therefore doesn't belong in this thread.

Stay on topic, please.

_________________
avatar
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma
Posts : 10396
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 30

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by Die Borussen on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:45 pm

#inb4messibeinganimigrant Laughing

Die Borussen
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Sao Paulo
Posts : 3442
Join date : 2012-01-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by BarrileteCosmico on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:45 pm

@McLewis wrote:Enough with the same old Messi/Ronaldo BS.

Messi is not European and therefore doesn't belong in this thread.

Stay on topic, please.
He's a citizen of Spain :coffee:

_________________
avatar
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : River Plate
Posts : 23223
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by Gil on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:52 pm

Why are people mentioning Robben? Sure he didn't score but he created quite a few chances which his teammates bottled. There were alot worse players in the Euros Kerzhakov, Young, Affelay, scrubs playing defense for Holland, Nasri, Ukraine's RB etc etc

van Flopsie is easily the flop of the tournament in my opinion all things considered. Huntelaar was dropped for him, missed loads of sitters, considered the best player in the squad, ruined the balance of the team, PL Top scorer, 3rd favs finished with zero points etc
avatar
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 9447
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by Die Borussen on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:55 pm

robben sucked balls

flop flop flop

Die Borussen
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Sao Paulo
Posts : 3442
Join date : 2012-01-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by urbaNRoots on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:35 pm

@Gil wrote:Why are people mentioning Robben? Sure he didn't score but he created quite a few chances which his teammates bottled. There were alot worse players in the Euros Kerzhakov, Young, Affelay, scrubs playing defense for Holland, Nasri, Ukraine's RB etc etc

van Flopsie is easily the flop of the tournament in my opinion all things considered. Huntelaar was dropped for him, missed loads of sitters, considered the best player in the squad, ruined the balance of the team, PL Top scorer, 3rd favs finished with zero points etc

He didn't create shit Laughing van Flopsie created more chances than him. Didn't defend didn't attack, didn't create, was wasteful and a big arrogant creating problems in the team (reportedly). Of course people will mention him.
avatar
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 15614
Join date : 2011-08-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by The Franchise on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:38 pm

How can Gil name drop Affelay so casually lol

Dude was out for like 6 months, played like 3 games before going to the tournament and once there found the team lacking in balance and its supposed "stars" completely out of form.

What exactly did you expect of him?
avatar
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 18855
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by messixaviesta on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:41 pm

@McLewis wrote:Enough with the same old Messi/Ronaldo BS.

Messi is not European and therefore doesn't belong in this thread.

Stay on topic, please.

You are absolutely right. I did post off-topic in this thread mainly to reply to a few posts made but will not do so any more.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 4207
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 39

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by messixaviesta on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:45 pm

An interesting argument being raised by some people is that who was the bigger flop - Robben or van Persie. I would say the former because the latter scored a good goal and at least tried to do his job for the team but the former did almost everything just for himself.

As for some of the other names being mentioned that they played even worse, perhaps a few of them did but they are largely not megastars of the game from whom too much was expected and who would now be known as the biggest flops of this tournament.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 4207
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 39

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by Onyx on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:51 pm

I think more was expected of Van Persie after the season he had with Arsenal.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Private
Posts : 39921
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by Gil on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:54 pm

@The Franchise wrote:How can Gil name drop Affelay so casually lol

Dude was out for like 6 months, played like 3 games before going to the tournament and once there found the team lacking in balance and its supposed "stars" completely out of form.

What exactly did you expect of him?

He was brilliant in the games in the build up to the Euros so I thought he was match fit. Completely forgot about the long term injury lol.

You have to admit he was utter turd though. Messed up simple cut backs, didn't take any risks, shot when he should have passed, passed when he should shoot, completely threw Willems under the bus etc

Really didn't think he could play that bad. Was painful to watch.
avatar
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 9447
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by halamadrid2 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:40 pm

Top 10 flops have to be:

Dutch team
Englands Midfield aka golden generation
Benzema
Clichy
Ballotelli
Roonay
Xavi
Blanc
Arshavin or shall i say the whole team
cheezneeyy
avatar
halamadrid2
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 19685
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Was The Biggest Flop Of Euro 2012?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum