La Liga: FC Barcelona vs Valencia

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: La Liga: FC Barcelona vs Valencia

Post by Donuts on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:47 am

Messi will finally be able to rest for a full week, thankfully he shall come back strong.

Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:48 am

Some positives and negatives. I will start with the positives.

The result. 3rd or 4th best team in the league, any win is reason to be happy.

Song was superb considering all factors. I didnt see any bad positioning or decisions making, I never saw his position vacated and players getting in that space. Valencia never threated in that space at all. On the ball he did very well, making clean passes quickly and accurately. He moved into the back when we were pressed, showing he is clearly understanding the instructions. The crowd seemed to recognise his good play too. Wasnt tested in 1 v 1 defence, which is rare anyways.

Adriano at leftback, excellent.

Xavi...that is all.

Return of Alves. His off ball movement is fantastic. Normal players just dont have the energy to stretch the defence by pulling so high and wide, while still being able to get around the pitch. The difference between him and then Adriano on that side was huge.

The negative.

Adriano at rightback....just doesnt look the same player. Didnt do much wrong, but I could feel his discomfort.

Mascherano and then Alba to a lesser degree. Why do they make tackles from behind? We gave away tons of side free kicks because of this. We already have some issues defending set peices..why compound it by giving away cheap FK's on tackles you cant possibly win.

Cesc. I was impressed with his movement offensively in the first half. He moved into spaces, in between lines and did his part. Pressing was inconsistent. However, he was horrible in the 2nd half, no idea what happened to the movement. Everytime it seems like he gets it..he goes and shows he doesnt. Then his pressing went from inconsistent to zero and thankfully he was taken off. Missed 2 great chances.

Some final thoughts.

Messi pressed and worked hard, by the end he will tired so I dont fault the effort. Took too long on the ball at times and didnt really look like scoring.

Alexis frustrates me, as someone who knows how talented he is and has to watch his play now. When he is 1 v 1, he refuses to attack players. Only when he was forced to, no other real options, does he go on a dribble. And the 3 times he did that, he utterly raped. Worked hard and did a great play for Cesc chance.

Valdes discomfort is obvious. Was quicker to clear the ball than normal, when he tried to pass he overhit a couple more than normal and he made a fool of himself on the corner at the end.

Busquets for Alexis brought a brief double pivot. Iniesta on one side, Pedro on the other, Xavi somewhere in the middle with Busi and Song holding. Didnt get to see how this worked offensively, we were mostly defending corners and then hitting quick balls on the break.

Credit Valencia for some excellent team defence. Also noticed Cissokho had a mighty fine debut, keeping Pedro pretty quite in the 1 v 1 and generally playing well.
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:49 am

A moment of Adriano magic the difference.

Well that's just unfortunate for us lol, nice to see someone other than Messi win games for you guys , albeit I didn't expect it to be Adriano albino

World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by gondov on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:06 am

I like fabregas, but I think he is going through a pique-like phase atm. Unfortunately, unlike pique's position fabregas has a lot of competition and will need to get over , whatever it is, pretty soon.

Personally I think he is having MILF-trouble Very Happy

Alexis showed he can dribble, he hasn't dropped to pedro's off-form levels last season, yet. He can still be very useful and could have put the game to bed today if cesc had been clinical.

Adriano did well, its good that him an alba will have to battle it out for that spot on the left

Song was very good. He brings steel in these kind of matches when the team has had a tough week.
gondov
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:17 am

Alexis had a good game, but he didn't show he can drible. He dribled once in the whole game, it's not such a great showing. Anyway, Alexis should play as LW, he does better there cuting in. At the right side, he just isn't fast enough to drible players going wide.

Happy with Song game. In 120 minutes he has showed that he can adapt perfectly as a DM and that he doesn't lack discipline. Clearly, Wenger didn't instruct him to keep position. He made some nice tackles. Only thing is that I thought he as a bit faster, or maybe he didn't sprint much.

Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by vivabarca38 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:43 am

Good win.Was extremely worried as we almost conceded like 3 or 4 times from set pieces and we didnt finish our chances in the start.Great goal from Adriano.Cesc looked like a lost lamb as always.CBarca and danyjr are too critical of Song.He didnt have much to do,But he rarely did anything wrong.Decent on the ball,disciplined which was my main worry when he signed for us.Most or all chances for Valencia were from long balls or set pieces,no fault of Song.Am I the only one who thinks we were more focused on Messi when Pep was here?It seems to me that our play doesnt evolve around Messi as much as under Pep.
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:20 am

Alexis had his best game this season thus far though still not good enough for my liking.
Xavi had a beast game
Fabregas I thought had his best game as well though it still wasn't a great performance. He wasn't invisible in midfield like he has been. His passing was sound, movement was decent though his final ball was terrible and his 1-2's with Messi or Xavi or Sanchez was terrible. He should have buried two shots but Im pleased he wasn't invisble.
Song had a good debut. Positioning was great and decision making was precise. Understanding with the others was great and his passes were fluid. I hope to see more of these performances...
Adriano was sound at RB but played a very good game at leftback. The goal was a stunner as well. Once he moved to RB, he looked very uncomfortable and like the El Clasico's he was caught out of positioned too often because of how forward he was.
Pique gradually improved throughout the game. Mascherano was sound as well. Pleased to see that these two lifted their games after shocking mistakes against Madrid.
Valdes had a decent game though misjudged some balls off corners which isn't great signs. Short defense defending set pieces and your GK is unsure of what to do...
Messi just didn't look like himself. Play just doesn't evolve around him and was relatively quiet.

It was a shame that Thiago was left out. Don't know why...
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:33 am

@free_cat wrote:Alexis had a good game, but he didn't show he can drible. He dribled once in the whole game, it's not such a great showing. Anyway, Alexis should play as LW, he does better there cuting in. At the right side, he just isn't fast enough to drible players going wide.

Happy with Song game. In 120 minutes he has showed that he can adapt perfectly as a DM and that he doesn't lack discipline. Clearly, Wenger didn't instruct him to keep position. He made some nice tackles. Only thing is that I thought he as a bit faster, or maybe he didn't sprint much.

¨

Come on now Free, he didnt show he can dribble, but he dribbled more than once.

He beat his name with a turn and then exploded past him to set up Cesc. He faked Rami and then left him for dead, cross was blocked. He cut inside the Portuguese rightback who's name escapes me, then the 2nd guy stopped him and he passed back. Thats 3 times, not 1.

Anyway, I 100% agree he should play on the left..I said that from lilke half way last season. He is might more dangerous when he comes inside onto his right foot, rather than trying to go around the outside.

As for Song, no he isnt faster im afraid. He has a little bit of lead in those feet.
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:09 am

Barcelona players dribbled successfully 14 times,

Messi 9
Alexis 4
Xavi 1

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:53 am

We have played five games so far. Out of these the performance in one game, the first leg of the Super Copa has been awesome. Another one, the La Liga opener, the performance has been decent. As for the other three, I think all of them have been dismal.

Last night I couldn't recognize the team that was playing for us. Too many long balls. Too much hard running. Too much directness. Yes directness can be a good thing at times but this was just not our style. The tiki-taka that we have become synonymous with we saw very little of that.

Then again I ask myself is it fair to criticize the team? The trouble here is that the team we had between 2008 and 2011 and the level at which they played is one of the greatest ever seen in football history. What we have now is a watered down version of that team. All the time trying to compare everything the current team does against what those teams did just isn't fair. Then again it's so hard to push the thoughts out of one's head.

Am I being too pessimistic as is the norm with me? Perhaps. I am not trying to say that we will never again see performances of that class but what is quite clear to me is that we will no longer see that level day in and day out. Yes we will be a very good and competitive team but we will not be the all conquering super dominating team that the entire world was in awe of any more.

Will there be a decay comparable to 2006-07? Hopefully not. There don't seem to be reports of off the field problems as there were in those days. However it won't be quite the same as before. Some of the team dynamics will have to be rebuilt. In fact some of it is already being rebuilt. Unfortunately man is often resistant to change. Someone like me has a tendency to compare new things being tried to what has been done in the past unfavorably. It's just that the memories of those days of ethereal football match after match are so hard to shake off. It will take time to accept that the past is the past.

So am I saying we will not have a good season? Not really. It's just that I consider this season experimental and unpredictable. It's hard to say how well it will end up but it does seem that it will go through several states of transition.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:04 am

JD there really haven't been enough games played to draw meaningful conclusions.

Admin

Club Supported : River Plate

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca on Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:07 am

@BarrileteCosmico wrote:JD there really haven't been enough games played to draw meaningful conclusions.

I'd hate to respond to all he said with a one liner, but you pretty much nailed it on the head there.

Be patient, it's a new coach, the players are still adapting and we've only played 5 games. Need some more time to judge.

NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:22 am

So whats the deal with having Spain's all time leading scorer just sitting on the bench?

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:03 am

@windkick wrote:So whats the deal with having Spain's all time leading scorer just sitting on the bench?
Only logical choice I could come up with is that Tito still doesn't believe he is match fit and since today was a close game till the last second wanted to keep the same people that or he really wanted to wait till after international weekend to see how he preforms.

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Toronto

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:13 am

didn't manage to watch the game.
i heard there was a controversal disallowed goal for Valencia.
Can anyone comenton that?
Also I too want to see Villa back.
Why is it taking so long?
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:20 am

@billy_gr wrote:didn't manage to watch the game.
i heard there was a controversal disallowed goal for Valencia.
Can anyone comenton that?
Also I too want to see Villa back.
Why is it taking so long?
no there was no controversal goal for Valencia, though they had a very good chance in last few minutes through a corner but it went over the bar.
And they also had a few offsides but they truly were offside so the game was pretty clean and good.

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Toronto

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:41 am

Víctor Ruiz scored a header from a set piece but it was rightly called offside. It was very close though. The linesman made a mistake in calling a Valencia player (Vieira?) offside where Piqué had played him onside but it wasn't a very good chance anyway.

First Team

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:04 am

jiopsi wrote:Barcelona players dribbled successfully 14 times,

Messi 9
Alexis 4
Xavi 1

These stats are not good.

Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:06 am

@Donuts wrote:
@windkick wrote:So whats the deal with having Spain's all time leading scorer just sitting on the bench?
Only logical choice I could come up with is that Tito still doesn't believe he is match fit and since today was a close game till the last second wanted to keep the same people that or he really wanted to wait till after international weekend to see how he preforms.

Villa has been 7 months out.
It's normal that he isn't starter as yet.
Can't understand the complaints.

Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:10 am

@BarrileteCosmico wrote:JD there really haven't been enough games played to draw meaningful conclusions.

alfred and CB, yes that's fair. What I posted can easily be an overreaction. Let's just say that if the way we played last night becomes how we will play this season then I will feel a major void while watching our games. Neutral

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:51 pm

Villa broke his leg....do you realise how bad that is?

Of course he isnt starting yet.
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:53 pm

Agree. I would also add that we played Valencia...if we arent sparkling and blinding against them, I couldnt really care less. They are a fantasticly strong team, especially defensively all of a sudden.

I think we tried to play well, thats most important.
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:07 pm

We played well enough for 75 minutes IMO. Just Fabregas missing easy chances and Alves making a couple of superb saves. In the end, we had 4-5 clear goalscoring opportunities and they had one (Victor Ruiz header).

We deserved to win and it is a satisfactory game IMO.

Last edited by free_cat on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by eelir on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:16 pm

I agree with free_cat.

On a side note, i think Diego Alves is a beast. He is not just a penalty master. Slowly he is turning into one of my favorite goalkeepers Smile

Diego Alves for Balon D'Or Very Happy
eelir
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Very unsafe on aerial balls and when coming out of the goal for one on ones. He is not really that good and was quite poor last season actually. I like Guaita more than him, a more complete goalkeeper. But he always puts an awesome performance vs. us except that time we scored 8 at almeria.

Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:25 pm

Good point. We did play well for most of the game.

Its just the last 20 minutes I think we lost control over the game because we didnt get the 2nd goal. When you dont, the other team always gets into it because they realise they have a chance. We score before that point (one of Cesc's chances) and Valencia dont mount that assult at the end.

I think goals change the complexion of the game.

We thoughout the game were giving away some silly freekicks in good chances for them. It built pressure and at the end after we lost control that was the most dangerous thing.

The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next