jibers
7amood11
guest7
shinigami99
BarrileteCosmico
89 posters

Page 7 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Marcelo: I consider myself the best full-back in the world - Page 7 Empty Re: Marcelo: I consider myself the best full-back in the world

Post by Hawky Mon May 26, 2014 7:08 pm

This awkwardly reminds me of my Football Manager game back in 2006-2007 when I bought Marcelo from his Brazilian team to Barcelona and he was GOAT full-back *sigh*.

Best attacking full-back in the world? For sure. However, it depends on what you tactically want your full-backs to do.

Still wonder if RM fans consider him better than Roberto Carlos or not.

Hawky
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Marcelo: I consider myself the best full-back in the world - Page 7 Empty Re: Marcelo: I consider myself the best full-back in the world

Post by Arquitecto Mon May 26, 2014 7:11 pm

Rather too reactive to call Marcelo the best-fullback let alone Left-back considering he came on versus a considerably fatigued Atletico side and was not faced with any substantial threat.

Especially considering it ignores Coentrao's defensive performance along with the fact that Felipe Luis was on the same field, without a doubt the better LB.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Mon May 26, 2014 7:15 pm

Hawky wrote:This awkwardly reminds me of my Football Manager game back in 2006-2007 when I bought Marcelo from his Brazilian team to Barcelona and he was GOAT full-back *sigh*.

Best attacking full-back in the world? For sure. However, it depends on what you tactically want your full-backs to do.

Still wonder if RM fans consider him better than Roberto Carlos or not.

Better ? I think yes. Greater ? Will probably never be. RC created a legacy. Still, Marcelo has the best technique I've seen at any side-back.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawky Tue May 27, 2014 8:47 pm

Technique-wise, I think no full-back in the last 15 years can be compared to Javier Zanetti. Just my 2 cents. Marcelo's technique is very good nevertheless.
Hawky
Hawky
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue May 27, 2014 8:50 pm

Why are we so quick to label people? First clowns were calling Alaba the best lb. The fullbacks out there are all on the same level. The last great fullback was Dani alves.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Tue May 27, 2014 8:56 pm

Not even the best fullback in Spain  :coffee: 
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Badger Tue May 27, 2014 9:04 pm

EL Patron wrote:Not even the best fullback in Spain  :coffee: 

Agreed. He's good, flourished under Mourinho, but not the best, far from it.

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Tue May 27, 2014 9:44 pm

jibers wrote:Why are we so quick to label people? First clowns were calling Alaba the best lb. The fullbacks out there are all on the same level. The last great fullback was Dani alves.

funny that Alves has the same weaknesses as Marcelo
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue May 27, 2014 9:52 pm

no he doesnt lol, valkyrja.

you desperate attempt to make marcelo looks like something he isnt doesnt impress anyone. he is a terribly imbalanced fullback, simple as that.

Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue May 27, 2014 10:27 pm

Valkyrja wrote:
jibers wrote:Why are we so quick to label people? First clowns were calling Alaba the best lb. The fullbacks out there are all on the same level. The last great fullback was Dani alves.

Damn it man.

The myth that ALves can't defend Laughing

He was faster, recovered better despite being further up, better stamina and better crosser and is more intelligent. He was also much better at 1 on 1 situations. At Sevilla Alves was a *bleep* monster
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Tue May 27, 2014 10:32 pm

hell in 2010/11 he was still a monster he has just declined due to age now..
he pocketed Ronaldo like no other.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Tue May 27, 2014 10:34 pm

i only started watching alves since 2009 but I'm pretty sure that Marcelo is better offensively.his passing, creativity,dribbling and crossing is just at another level even when compared to most wingers let alone FBs.Alves has by far better stamina and is better overall at defending.and i agree that alves being a shit defender is a myth
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Tue May 27, 2014 10:38 pm

jibers wrote:
Valkyrja wrote:

Damn it man.

The myth that ALves can't defend Laughing

He was faster, recovered better despite being further up, better stamina and better crosser and is more intelligent. He was also much better at 1 on 1 situations. At Sevilla Alves was a *bleep* monster

Physically Alves is a phenomenon I agree. Marcelo's game is based more on finesse. As I said b4, you basically have a WC AM at LB. And no, Alves is not a better crosser. Crossing is actually one of his weaknesses.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Tue May 27, 2014 10:39 pm

this is the problem as of late that i have noticed.

people rate a lb or rb by his attacking abilities not so much his defensive.
how can you be a so called best in this position if your defending is not up to par, that makes you more of a right middle or left.
hence why Alba is called a shat left back is because of his defensive abilities but some people seem to exclude certain players.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Wed May 28, 2014 6:32 am

Ganso wrote:i only started watching alves since 2009 but I'm pretty sure that Marcelo is better offensively.his passing, creativity,dribbling and crossing is just at another level even when compared to most wingers let alone FBs.Alves has by far  better stamina and is better overall at defending.and i agree that alves being a shit defender is a myth

Since 2009? Alves is superior to Marcelo over all. But I will say that Alves is on a decline (then again our entire team looks on decline since Tito first got sick, so it might be them or the coach changes etc). Marcelo is also good offensively, but his goals don't mean he's a better offensive player, because as a whole Alves does so much more. He pretty much bosses the entire right for us, and assists with attack and defense all match. I also think Alves is the better defender and has better stamina. I'm not saying either is the best in the world, Im just saying that since 2009 Alves has been better than Marcelo at pretty much everything (and both are on teams with allot of attacking players, so it's not like Alves has had an easier chance to get assists). Also I think its a myth that Alves is a bad crosser. He's crossing into a front line composed of players averaging 5"8, How is he going to hit the target on the head when most teams defending our forwards average like 6"1 or what not and are usually crammed parking the bus against us. If we had a good tall forward like Llortente then I'm sure Alves's crosses would look like magic

These are the stats I found for them, since you started watching them (09 season), not counting country stats

Alves goals.assists
08/09 : 5-11
09/10 : 3-13
10/11 : 4-18
11/12 : 2-16
12/13 : 1-7
13/14 : 4-4

Marcelo goals.assists
08/09 : 4-3
09/10 : 4-9
10/11 : 5-6
11/12 : 3-8
12/13 : 1-1
13/14 : 2-7

I know my paragraph was written really shitty; it's late, and english isn't my first language. I'm not crapping on Marcelo by an means and I am not saying Alves is the best Smile
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Wed May 28, 2014 9:35 am

Ma boy Marcelo bringing in entertainment for Madrid Proud

People's preferences are different for example somebody like nick for example prefer a solid fullback defensively no matter how dire a team looks when they attack, whereas somebody like me or Valkyrja like a fullback who participates well in attack and is good enough on defence

Marcelo's problem has always been his laziness against small teams because we end up defending with only 3 defenders and more often than not we get punished for it. Come big games and this guy is faultless. There is no doubt in my mind who I think is best

Guys like Luis who people think are great balanced fullbacks are usually bad against good out and out wingers. All fullbacks have their flaws with Marcelo it's his "jogging back to defend" crap he does in some small games which is frustrating but can be solved with a kick in the but from one of the defenders or the coach
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by nasir6371 Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:58 am

Bump,

Best performance from a  full back i've witnessed in a long time. Started so many counters from his only box Proud

Wasn't test much defensively but offensively was sublime.  Set up the penalty and should have had a couple more assist no thanks to CR/Hames.
nasir6371
nasir6371
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:03 am

Goatcelo Proud
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:39 am

Nowhere to be found on the first goal leading to Ramos having to come over to put pressure on Suarez. When the ball then falls to Neymar, he is able to cut right into the space left between Pepe and Ramos and then shoot through that same gap while Marcelo casually jogged back.

Again passed up like a ghost on Messi's sitter chance, leading Suarez to get an inch perfect ball that Messi should have buried and it should have been 2-0 to Barca.

I'm not even saying he had a bad game- offensively he was incredible and throughout the rest of the game he wasn't even bad defensively (with plenty of help of course from Isco). Just that he still remains defensively a liability even during a game where he's had praise heaped on him, and that had Messi scored that sitter- his game today may have been seen in another light.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:13 am

He's always been good from an attack point of view, but its his defensive side that gets questioned.
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:13 am

Marcelo was part of a backline that shut down Suarez-Mess-Nerman. Defensively he did pretty freaking great compared to what most people were expecting to happen lol

He absolutely ate Xavi and Alves alive btw. Whenever he had the ball no Barca players could challenge him.

Obviously he has his weaknesses but they are simply worth the risk for what you get going forward.

I've been repping Team Marcelo since he came here when he was just a teenager and I will continue to do so. I love this guy ffs, he's awesome.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:23 am

This reminded me of his performance against Barca in Supercopa 2012. Absolutely unstoppable.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:40 am

nasir6371 wrote:Bump,

Best performance from a  full back i've witnessed in a long time.
Wasn't test much defensively

Uh huh.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:06 pm

Coentrao>>>> :coffee:
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:58 pm

Lord Awesome wrote:Coentrao>>>> :coffee:

rofl
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:08 am

Fantastic once again against Barca.

He's been incredibly consistent this season, one of our best 3 players.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next