Barça - Benfica

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Re: Barça - Benfica

Post by The Franchise on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:47 pm

Yeah yeah Tito, I believe you lol

He is merely defending his decision, no problem with that.

But the truth is it isnt a good thing for him to play and he did play because of the record.

He has to say something to defend it, I am cool with that.

The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgera on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:53 pm

Of course, the record with good chances has at least been in Messi's mind and may have been affecting Messi, but also Messi probably wants to play, record or not. But yeah, was it right to play him? Perhaps would've been better not, even if we forget the injury.

More:

Vilanova: "Muller's record? Everyone but Messi talks about about that. If he was focused on it, he'd have played from the start."

Vilanova: "Messi playing 30 minutes was talked through, it was part of his physical training program. You can also get injured on training."

Belgera
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:16 pm

Further tests at the hospital have confirmed that Messi's injury is nothing bad. Messi left the hospital already #fcblive #ucl [rac1]

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:27 pm

Official memo from Barcelona saying it's a bruise in the bone. they don't say how long.

Radio says he is probably doubt for next match but should be fit for the next one.

Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Official: Further tests have confirmed Messi picked up a knock on his left knee, availability for next game depends on recovery in next days.

Pheeew, that's one for the books.

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:28 pm

Everybody only talking about Messi?

What about how poor our backup team was? Partly down to lack of motivation and a meaningless game but I expected more of these players.

Rafinha was abismal and lost the ball almost every time he touched it. Planas was schooled at left back by John. Tello looked rusty. Roberto didn't do much. Thiago showed his skills but tried to do things on his own far too often, didn't boss the game at all.
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:39 pm

I think it was simply Benfica. They are far too good to play a B team against and expect to dominate. Far too good.

I am not surprised.

They pressed hard and were organised..frankly better than we did. They had organisation and communication...we just had individuals running around.
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:00 pm

I thought our main problem was that we played a bizarre lopsided sort of 4-4-2 because Rafinha did not stay on the wing. He's not a winger and I'm sure he was instructed to do something similar to Iniesta and drop into midfield but it just didn't work. Second half he stayed out on the right more and then was rightfully subbed.

I don't think it was simply Benfica, I think it was poor selection of players and organisation. Our transition wasn't good enough and we weren't calm on the ball in midfield.

No problem with them getting more chances etc. but we were absolutely flogged for the first 60 mins. It should have been 3-0.

Should have started Gomez with Adriano on the flank and Rafinha should have just stuck to the false 9 position (Villa-left, Tello-right) instead of running around everywhere like a headless chook.

Other note. Has Jonny got the message yet? lol.
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:09 pm

Why didnt Rafinha just play as a false 9 flanked by Tello and Villa? He did that the last CL game he played, albiet against inferior opponants and had an excellent game.

Here, he struggled to get the ball and when he did half the time he lost it. Clearly he is a player who needs regular touches, which is normal for a young player honestly, and he seemed very restricted of those. I dont think he was that bad honestly, just isolated and silent.

I do think it was Benfica to be honest, the players we had. I agree the selection wasnt the best, but if using this set of players I dont think it could of been that much different.

Benfica were playing basically 4123 when pressing high and we struggled. Of course we compounded it by making poor choices and I saw many times Tello and others making passes to players who werent actually open, or the pass lacked the pace on the ball and they had less time they should of had.

I agree, Gomez should of started. I was surprised by that. I think putting people in their natural position is always better than simply playing the best/more experienced in more important positions.

The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:22 pm

Wasn't able to see the game as usual, but saw Messi's injury. Most here saying it's not serious, that's fantastic, but we're lucky.

Hopefully this is a learning point for everyone involved to not play your star player in a meaningless game, even if there is a potential for history. It's far more important for the team to have him rested.

I'm definitely learning from this.

Did Gerard play?

NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Shakhtar Donetsk

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:28 pm

@CBarca wrote:Wasn't able to see the game as usual, but saw Messi's injury. Most here saying it's not serious, that's fantastic, but we're lucky.

Hopefully this is a learning point for everyone involved to not play your star player in a meaningless game, even if there is a potential for history. It's far more important for the team to have him rested.

Did Gerard play?

I agree, but what I dont get is how people seemingly didnt figure this before the game.

Anyway, Gerard played about 20 minutes, didnt realy do much. But he had one run where he exploded into open space and made a pass, but either Sergi Roberto of Villa just stood there unprepared to receieve the ball. I didnt understand it at all, it was a counter attack..who isnt ready to recieve the ball in the final third in a counter attack? lol

Anyway, 20 minutes in a game we wasnt at our best. Was hard for him and all the young players really.
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:34 pm

I believe in order for Messi to keep his form/fitness he needs to play 5+ games a month, he is getting so much rest time which may change his game.

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Toronto

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:37 pm

That goes against all Sport Science literature I have ever read in my 6 years of study to be honest. Dont mean to sound like a know it all, but its the truth, everything I have ever read with any credibility gives me this opinion.

Yes, he will be sharper if he plays often...however, its not like the other days of the week he is sitting home on his sofa, he is training.

What ever very small amount of rhythm he loses from missing 1 or 2 games 1 month out of 2 he more than makes up for with increased fitness (to be more exact, less fatigue) through the season.

I somehow dont believe Messi is doing to be that worse off for the rest and yet, Cesc, Iniesta and Xavi sitting in the stands will remain unaffected.
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:42 pm

@The Franchise wrote:
@CBarca wrote:Wasn't able to see the game as usual, but saw Messi's injury. Most here saying it's not serious, that's fantastic, but we're lucky.

Did Gerard play?

I agree, but what I dont get is how people seemingly didnt figure this before the game.

Anyway, Gerard played about 20 minutes, didnt realy do much. But he had one run where he exploded into open space and made a pass, but either Sergi Roberto of Villa just stood there unprepared to receieve the ball. I didnt understand it at all, it was a counter attack..who isnt ready to recieve the ball in the final third in a counter attack? lol

Anyway, 20 minutes in a game we wasnt at our best. Was hard for him and all the young players really.

Complacency and not expecting the worst. It's been quite a while since the little talisman has gotten an injury, and when he has- it hasn't been serious. Today being case in point. I think people are just as eager to see Messi to break the record as those at FCB are, and want to play him for that, not expecting for the worst to happen.

I wasn't keen on him playing, but if he did I wasn't going to complain about that too much, since I wasn't expecting an injury. Thankfully it's not serious and this is a learning point for everyone, hopefully Tito as well.

Sounds like a hard game and against Benefica I can accept that, they're a tough team, and we played a bunch of kids.

@ Donuts- I disagree. I think Messi is more than capable of keeping form and fitness with a lot of rest. He's not like a striker that needs confidence, and he's not like a midfielder who consistently needs game time and touches on the ball to keep form. We're talking about potentially the greatest ever player of all time here, I don't think he needs any number of games or game time to keep in form.

EDIT: Dani also makes a more informed and better point regarding the same thing (^.^)
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Shakhtar Donetsk

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:49 pm

Yeah, understandable. Generally agree with that.

Im hoping now people can see noone is indestructible and anything can happen at any time.

Does that mean he should only play meaningful minutes and the moment the game is won he should come off? No of course not.

But making unnecessary risks like today to me make no sense. Just imagine he hyper-extended his knee (which is exactly what it looked like happened). He could of been out for months...and you bet you botton dollar if that happened we would drop points to the extent Madrid come back in the title race.

If that happened, it would be seen as total buffoonery.

Anyway, its done now, he is fine and case closed hopefully.

As for the game, Benfica are no joke and thankfully the next time a team like this takes the field it would be against lesser opponents in the cup.
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:48 pm

Dani in fairness I do remember you said that you would have liked to see Messi subbed in for Rafinha at the chat, along with Roberto and someone else I can't remember. Shit happens, Messi likes to play, always, for better or worse. I'm not saying he should've played, or that Tito should pamper Messi's every wish, but how many managers would've kept their star on the bench?

Admin

Club Supported : River Plate

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:57 pm

Check out my article on the game:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1434670-assessing-barcelonas-youngsters-in-their-champions-league-draw-against-benfica
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by gondov on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:07 pm

This evil beast was again spotted at the stadium tonight.

I swear, this is the 3rd time I've seen that black cat at the Camp nou!!

Coincidentally Messi gets injured Suspect

Someone needs to shoot it, next time its spotted on or near the pitch!

*** Mourinho voodoo cat! Mad
gondov
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:28 pm

@BarcaKizz wrote:Everybody only talking about Messi?

What about how poor our backup team was? Partly down to lack of motivation and a meaningless game but I expected more of these players.

Rafinha was abismal and lost the ball almost every time he touched it. Planas was schooled at left back by John. Tello looked rusty. Roberto didn't do much. Thiago showed his skills but tried to do things on his own far too often, didn't boss the game at all.

Benfica are not a bad team who were highly motivated and knew they had the CL qualification within their grasp only if they won. They weren't a side that was going to be pushed over.

Admin

Club Supported : River Plate

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:03 am

Benfica was battering Barca pretty much to a point where Messi was subbed in, then it changed completely.

Shots before Messi

Barcelona 5
Benfica 13

Shots when Messi played

Barcelona 4
Benfica 1

That's just shows how much of an effect Messi has in the field, just by being there. Other teams have to sacrifice so much of their own game to guard him.

There was a point where the whole Benfica team was trying to stop him, and he played throughball, which none of the five? Barca players didn't try to get. Laughing :facepalm:

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by FCBarça on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:17 am

FCBarça
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:25 am

jiopsi wrote:
Spoiler:
:bow: I would put that as my signature if it were abit smaller lol
@FCBarça wrote:
Spoiler:
He sucked it up instead of falling for a penalty, Messi never dives..

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Toronto

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:20 am

@Donuts wrote:
:bow: I would put that as my signature if it were abit smaller lol
Made one in the Messi thread.

But what are the other Barca players doing? :facepalm: And you expect Messi to pass you lazy lot?

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by eelir on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:10 am

They have all been caught offside confused
eelir
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:23 am

@BarrileteCosmico wrote:Dani in fairness I do remember you said that you would have liked to see Messi subbed in for Rafinha at the chat, along with Roberto and someone else I can't remember. Shit happens, Messi likes to play, always, for better or worse. I'm not saying he should've played, or that Tito should pamper Messi's every wish, but how many managers would've kept their star on the bench?

I sad that with the knowledge Messi was coming on, my comments were purely of a tactical nature, not my wishes.
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:25 am

jiopsi wrote:Benfica was battering Barca pretty much to a point where Messi was subbed in, then it changed completely.

Shots before Messi

Barcelona 5
Benfica 13

Shots when Messi played

Barcelona 4
Benfica 1

That's just shows how much of an effect Messi has in the field, just by being there. Other teams have to sacrifice so much of their own game to guard him.

There was a point where the whole Benfica team was trying to stop him, and he played throughball, which none of the five? Barca players didn't try to get. Laughing :facepalm:

Are you serious?

He overdribbled in that play and his pass was partially blocked making it impossible for anyone to reach.

Come on now, stop the fanboyism.
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next