TheRedStag
nj
shaven
28 posters

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down

Tactics and Formations - Page 13 Empty Re: Tactics and Formations

Post by Helmer Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:15 pm

Don't call me James wrote:El Cujo, Red Alert is the biggest joke of our section, don't waste your time.

poor RA Laughing

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:21 am

I didn't want to talk about this in the other thread where it was brought up, but after seeing Rodgers switch to the 3-5-2 last game it gave me a bit of hope that he may look to it in the future. Personally I think that it's the best formation in football, and we have a squad that could really make very good use of it. Our best XI right now I think would look like this:

Skrtel-Sakho-Lovren
Sterling-Henderson-Gerrard-Allen-Moreno
Balotelli-Sturridge

Moreno and Sterling have pace to burn and are also adequate defenders that will put in the work to track back. Balotelli likes to drop back and provide the ball and take long shots so he would link up well with Sterling and Henderson with their forward runs while Allen gets forward but prefers little passing plays (and Moreno has a real nice cross). Coutinho can also play in for Allen instead if he can rekindle his form.

I hope Rodgers isn't shy about using this formation moving forward because if he works on it enough it could be very strong especially with our defensive deficiencies.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:33 am

Seems like a waste of Sterling, to me.

Skrtel Sakho Lovren
Manquillo Henderson Gerrard Moreno
Sterling
Balotello Sturridge

Looks better but you really need a better RM.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:59 am

I don't think the formations we're currently using - mainly the 4-3-3 and the diamond - are the problem.

We haven't looked disjointed in any game and have been able to get the ball and play with it. What has made our performances poor has been a shaky defence and an out-of-ideas attack.

I don't believe a formation change is the key to fixing the defence as it's mostly been individual mistakes rather than tactics-based problems that have resulted in us conceding goals.

As for the attack, the problems have been that there's not enough movement and that we seem to be too stubborn to pass, pretty much try to walk the ball, through the center of a packed defence. Those problems are not down to the formation.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:20 am

The problem in attack is that we have no mobile forwards once Sturridge is not fit.

None of our playmakers or wingers cross the ball. You can notice them trying to play through balls to Baloteli and Lambert which they cant chase. These guys get frustrated and drop deep or go wide where they absolutely useless, They either end up crossing to 5'7 Sterling or playing it back to the midfield and then taking their time to get back to the center so we have start all over again.

I mentioned it on twitter as well to RO, Even though we played Lallana, Sterling and Markovic. Manquillo and Jose where the only players thinking about crossing the ball to Lambert or Balotelli.

Basically we will do what we did against Spurs once Danny is back. Play Balo upfront, Sturridge behind/beside him where both the freedom to roam, Sacrifice a play making midfielder for another CM Allen/Can for balance and do the usual.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:19 am

El Cuho, 3-5-2 is bad for us and there is nothing like a best formation in football.

@Art, agree with you partially. Our specific formation also makes sure that we get the best out of many players, so the formation is not the solution, but surely a step towards the solution.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Kick wrote:Seems like a waste of Sterling, to me.

Skrtel Sakho Lovren
Manquillo Henderson Gerrard Moreno
Sterling
Balotello Sturridge

Looks better but you really need a better RM.

If we were going to set up that way it would be:

Henderson - Gerrard - Allen/Can - Moreno

But it's not a waste of Sterling to have him on the right anyway. Especially since the wide right and wide left are two of the more important and involved players on the pitch in a 3-5-2. In a 4-4-2 diamond where Sterling is the CAM the attack flows through him more than in a 4-3-3 with a mixed build up -- whereas the 3-5-2 carries more wideplay and would take more advantage of his speed and keep him involved. I don't think I even saw him in the West Ham game until Rodgers moved him out wide -- even his goal I think was cutting in from the right after Balo touched the ball down nicely.

HEIL MEIN REDS wrote:El Cuho, 3-5-2 is bad for us and there is nothing like a best formation in football.

Agree to disagree. With the right players the 3-5-2 gives you an advantage in every phase of the play without having to disrupt formation horribly. You need two industrious, pacy outside players that can help give you a number advantage all over the pitch (base 3 - 3 - 2 with two flank players that add to wherever the play is needed creating a 3 (5) - 3 (5) - 2 (4). With guys like Sterling, Henderson, Moreno, Markovic and Can available for those positions (depending on defending, attacking, balanced, etc.) Liverpool is very well set up to play that way. I don't think it will happen, but it would be great if they did.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed May 13, 2015 5:54 pm

First I want to say I'm sick and tired of flipping the formation every other week and playing players out of position.

I also don't like 4-3-3. It doesn't fit our players whatsoever now that Suarez isn't here. At least the 3-4-2-1 got the best out of many players in the squad, I did say it wasn't sustainable but we should have at least ended the season with it. It makes no sense why we shelved the formation after losing to United and Arsenal.

I personally think 4-2-3-1 fits our squad the best, except maybe Raheem and any CB who can't play in a back 4.

I don't rate Raheem as a winger or as a wide player (without Suarez). So unless he plays AM (which I feel is his best position), which he shouldn't because Coutinho is better than him there, then it's best if we cash in and gets someone efficient and effective from out wide.

The problem is Rodgers has no clue on how to play it. We've been awful every time we've tried the formation under him with the exception of 2012-13 end of the season where it was ultra lopsided with Henderson wide left playing hybrid CM-LAM but I personally attribute that to Suarez and Sturridge quality opening space for everyone else.

Rafa and Klopp are masters of the formation. Proud  But regardless that's not my point in this thread.

New GK
New RB - Ilori - Sakho - Moreno
Can - Kovacic*
Marquee FW* - Coutinho - Sterling
Marquee ST*

Mignolet
Manquillo - Skrtel - Lovren - Flanagan
Henderson - Lucas
Ibe - Lallana - Markovic
Origi

Sturridge as the ultimate secret weapon. Fill the rest of the squad with talented youngsters Rossiter, Ojo, Yesil, Teixeira, Brannagan, Chirivella, Canos, Wilson, Kent, etc.

Sell everyone else. They are all deadwood and garbage.

So really we need 5 new players for next season and hopefully they are all starters.

Priority wise:
1. Marquee ST
2. Marquee Forward/attacker/wide players.
3. starting box to box CM (hopefully with creativity).
4. RB
5. GK

Honestly Ings and Milner aren't even needed. We're just increasing our deadwood list and putting massive wages on the books.

My ideal/realistic list:
1. Lacazette/Vietto/Higuain
2. Griezmann/KDB/Anderson/Firmino/Herrmann
3. Kovacic
4. DeSciglio
5. Bernd Leno
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Wed May 13, 2015 7:55 pm

4231 does seem nice. But I think 433 would suit our present squad better:

Mignolet
RWB-Skrtel-Sakho-Moreno
Henderson-Emre
Coutinho
Lallana-ST-Raheem

GK
Manquillo-Ilori-Lovren-Flanagan
Lucas-Allen
Lallana
Ibe-Origi-Markovic
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:19 am

I wonder how Milner is going to fit in? The best option seems to me is reverting to 442-diamond:

Mignolet
RWB-Skrtel-Sakho-Moreno
Emre
Henderson-Milner
Coutinho
ST-ST
But this would waste players like Ibe and Markovic who plays from wide areas.

Playing without a DM and a midfield of Henderson, Milner & Coutinho in a 433 would be pure suicide.

Playing a midfield of Emre, Henderson & Milner in a 433 and moving Coutinho on the flanks would be stupid.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13