Liverpool v West Bromwich

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Liverpool v West Bromwich

Post by Arquitescu on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:36 pm

Finally we are trying out Coutinho. Downing had a fantastic 1st half but non-existent 2nd half. Good change by Rodgers if not risky.

Still reeling from Gerrard's miss. Cannot believe that just happened.

Arquitescu
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:39 pm

i'm *bleep* done. i swear to god i'm *bleep* done.

stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitescu on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:39 pm

Unbelievable. :facepalm:

Typical us. Play fancy diddly football whilst scoring f**k all and conceding to a defensive team's single only chance in which they took like champions.

West Brom deserve it 100%.

Another chance to prove something vs a top 10 team, squandered rofl

Arquitescu
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Sociedad

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:51 pm

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

I dunno wtf to say, honestly?

1 point from 18 in their last 6.

Manage to bag all 3 vs us. Whilst having only 4 goal attempts and converting two of them.

There has to be a curse on us, there is no logical explanation.

mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Real Betis

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitescu on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:55 pm

Full Time 0-2 to WBA.

I couldn't give a rats ass to instill some positivity after our latest run of results at the moment. Rant time.

Since losing to the Division 2 team in the FA Cup, we have drawn twice in a row and lost to a team " with 5 defeats and a draw from their last 6 games," WBA, and for the 2nd time in the PL season, they have beaten us with former Liverpool First team manager, Steve Clarke.

Forget Anfield and the pathetic support of the fans, the players as a whole played with a ponderous and near careless attitude as whole. If Kenny was here then he would have thrown the whole team out after today. Attitude was pathetic after the penalty miss. Players couldn't be resigned to fight back. Made me sick.

Don't get me started on Shelvey who was offside more than 3034092454 times, showing his touch of a donkey and just being Shelvey as a whole.

Then we had Mr. Complacent Johnson with his poor decisions cost Downing a very dangerous 1st half. Left side was even worse as BR's decision to place Henderson (joke of a decision) on the Left of a 4-2-3-1, as predicted proved to be a blunder. Sterling coming on injected some pace yet didn't add the impact I expected as once again he has shown to be raw in his choice of movement and navigation, much to the frustration of Jose.

Suarez was wasteful and had one of his worst games of the season.

Our only decent players Lucas, Gerrard and Downing as the subs cannot be blamed given their short time to produce.

The penalty decision wasn't even a penalty with Suarez making a meal of the decision and Olsson being treated harshly. It didn't help that our only reliable pen. taker failed vs an average Ben Foster, making a testament to how shit we have been in penalties in the last 2 seasons.

I will repeat, WE STILL have not beaten a top 10 team, whilst going on a win less run for 4 games now (including Oldham massacre).

WBA deserve every single point of theirs. Not Liverpool get off easy by West Brom pressing minimally and staying deep, but capitalized on 2 of their only chances, with 2 goals. What did we do? Produce nil clear cut chances and force our way through the goal with a blunt knife rather poorly with some horrendous final 3rd decisions.

Yes we are playing fancy and attractive football (hardly impressive from a tactical point of view) but not creating the needed chances let alone capitalizing well on them. Don't even get me started on our complacent defence. Lukaku (a tall strong and fast CF) scores again. Sound familiar?

Absolutely pathetic performance. You know what? This is not even a rant, I mean everything I have said here. I welcome anyone to oppose my rant over here.

Arquitescu
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:20 pm

Our inconsistency can't really be explained any more... I see no visible reasons for it apart from... Rodgers.

Anyway, about the sad sad game:

- Like Arquitecto and others as well were calling, we needed more wing-play on the left right from the start. Henderson did fine but he is no winger. Sterling was great when he came on and should have started.

- Shelvey was OK, imo, but his natural position isn't up there playing false 9 while Suarez drifts all over the place. Shelvey's skill set is suited for midfield play and occasionally making runs up, not playing up there continuously.

- Agger was simply bad, but Sepi made a thread for this already.

- Johnson was a little off his game, he deserves a rest any time now. Same goes for Suarez, really.

Overall congrats to West Brom and Mr Clarke. They did what was expected of them, defended really well and organized and took their goals where they could. Chelsea won a CL with that kind of play. We are left extremely disappointed and while United all but secured the title this round, we all but secured there's no fighting for a top-4 spot any longer.

Art Morte
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sunderland

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitescu on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:28 pm

@Art Morte wrote:Our inconsistency can't really be explained any more... I see no visible reasons for it apart from... Rodgers.

- Like Arquitecto and others as well were calling, we needed more wing-play on the left right from the start. Henderson did fine but he is no winger. Sterling was great when he came on and should have started.

- Shelvey was OK, imo, but his natural position isn't up there playing false 9 while Suarez drifts all over the place. Shelvey's skill set is suited for midfield play and occasionally making runs up, not playing up there continuously.

- Johnson was a little off his game, he deserves a rest any time now. Same goes for Suarez, really.

Overall congrats to West Brom and Mr Clarke. They did what was expected of them, defended really well and organized and took their goals where they could. Chelsea won a CL with that kind of play. We are left extremely disappointed and while United all but secured the title this round, we all but secured there's no fighting for a top-4 spot any longer.

-I disagree on Sterling somewhat as despite wanting me to have him come on he was somewhat disappointing (not blaming him for anything though) with some of his decisions and off the ball movement to assist Jose on the flank.

-Shelvey for me doesn't even suit a deeper position. Doesn't have the touch, passing vision, movement and intelligence for such a role bar his occasional shots (which all he has really). I've long since abandoned the hype of him which I never really got.

-Johnson pissed me off beyond comprehension with those "Johnson freeze" decisions of his. Suarez needs rest I agree as Mr. Oscar Tabarez once again played him a full 90 vs Espana Laughing

-I am so so admiring Clarke's WBA at the moment. Forget his wonderful season, today wasn't exactly Milan of the 90s aesthetically from him but his football was tactically astute, compact, organized, and efficient when needed. In other words the complete opposite of us. I will put the blame on this team of incompetent fools that BR acquired from Swansea as the defensive tactical awareness in the back is just shocking. Not suiting our players.

-Top 4 I didn't believe in for quite a while. Say what you need about bad support but I've seen this team for too long and notice how its one step forward and two steps back. At no point we were good enough for Top 4 and nor do we deserve it in any manner whatsoever. We simply are not good enough.

So frustrated. Don't mind if I use you as an outlet Arty.

Arquitescu
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:32 pm

Can I say it was due to a lack of quality players? :coffee:

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitescu on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:33 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:Can I say it was due to a lack of quality players? :coffee:

FIFA rating not an accurate measure of a players ability.

Arquitescu
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:09 pm

I think it was though. Aside from Suarez, Liverpool didn't have any finishers starting. Downing and Henderson aren't finishers. Liverpool still should have won with the chances created though.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitescu on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:14 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:I think it was though. Aside from Suarez, Liverpool didn't have any finishers starting. Downing and Henderson aren't finishers. Liverpool still should have won with the chances created though.

Seriously speaking, we didn't even create any clear cut chances to boast about. Rodger's made the tactical blunder of slotting an in form Hendo on the left of the 4-2-3-1 while placing Jonjo Shelvey of all people as a Trequartista in the middle while Downing was supposed to provide width. Suarez was just poor today.

Forget finishing, we just lacked any creativity today.

Arquitescu
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Don't call me James on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:44 am

"Okey" (in Brenda's voice)

I can only applaud Steve Clarke for coming back home with an absolute peach of a game plan. He knew exactly how to beat us and he did exactly that. His game plan was simple yet brilliant. Executed by the players to perfection. Everyone watching the match on TV or from the stands knew exactly what WBA were doing and yet no one could do anything about it.

The Game plan was simple: Do not let Liverpool play football. Clark's game plan was designed to waste time and make the match as lethargic as possible. Every goal kick took 10 or more second, every throw in took 10 or more seconds. For every offside call the ball was kicked far so that time was wasted. For every foul committed or contact made there was a WBA player on the floor screaming in agony as if a sniper had hit the bulls eye. When foster had possession at his feet he would use every milisecond before picking up the ball. Every WBA defender's job was to clear the ball for a throw-in the second they could get their feet on it. The referee didn't help much to stop the time wasting as he himself loved to give lectures after every goddam foul or stop of play. Clarke's game plan did not have attack anywhere on it for the first 80 minutes.

Clark's brilliance was struck around the 78th minute mark when he knew the lethargy of the match had embedded itself onto Liverpool's players minds. That is when he took off his battle hardened warrior (Shane Long) and replaced him with the sky scrapping mountain Romelu Lukaku. Liverpool's kryptonite was unsheathed and the rest, as they say is history.

I am glad that we did not win. WBA deserved this match more than us in every sense of the word "deserve". Don't let stats or anybody fool you into thinking we outplayed WBA. They controlled this game and we didn't even have a clue that they were under control. From the Liverpool prospective it looked as though both teams were playing shite football and couldn't string two passes together. Little did anyone know that this was, in fact, a tactical master stoke by Mister Clarke.

Don't call me James
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Sampdoria

Back to top Go down

Post by Don't call me James on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:34 am

Arquitecto wrote:Full Time 0-2 to WBA.

I couldn't give a rats ass to instill some positivity after our latest run of results at the moment. Rant time.

Since losing to the Division 2 team in the FA Cup, we have drawn twice in a row and lost to a team " with 5 defeats and a draw from their last 6 games," WBA, and for the 2nd time in the PL season, they have beaten us with former Liverpool First team manager, Steve Clarke.

Forget Anfield and the pathetic support of the fans, the players as a whole played with a ponderous and near careless attitude as whole. If Kenny was here then he would have thrown the whole team out after today. Attitude was pathetic after the penalty miss. Players couldn't be resigned to fight back. Made me sick.

Don't get me started on Shelvey who was offside more than 3034092454 times, showing his touch of a donkey and just being Shelvey as a whole.

Then we had Mr. Complacent Johnson with his poor decisions cost Downing a very dangerous 1st half. Left side was even worse as BR's decision to place Henderson (joke of a decision) on the Left of a 4-2-3-1, as predicted proved to be a blunder. Sterling coming on injected some pace yet didn't add the impact I expected as once again he has shown to be raw in his choice of movement and navigation, much to the frustration of Jose.

Suarez was wasteful and had one of his worst games of the season.

Our only decent players Lucas, Gerrard and Downing as the subs cannot be blamed given their short time to produce.

The penalty decision wasn't even a penalty with Suarez making a meal of the decision and Olsson being treated harshly. It didn't help that our only reliable pen. taker failed vs an average Ben Foster, making a testament to how shit we have been in penalties in the last 2 seasons.

I will repeat, WE STILL have not beaten a top 10 team, whilst going on a win less run for 4 games now (including Oldham massacre).

WBA deserve every single point of theirs. Not Liverpool get off easy by West Brom pressing minimally and staying deep, but capitalized on 2 of their only chances, with 2 goals. What did we do? Produce nil clear cut chances and force our way through the goal with a blunt knife rather poorly with some horrendous final 3rd decisions.

Yes we are playing fancy and attractive football (hardly impressive from a tactical point of view) but not creating the needed chances let alone capitalizing well on them. Don't even get me started on our complacent defence. Lukaku (a tall strong and fast CF) scores again. Sound familiar?

Absolutely pathetic performance. You know what? This is not even a rant, I mean everything I have said here. I welcome anyone to oppose my rant over here.

Fully understandable Arq. Tbh I'm not even in the mood to rant anymore; however, I do want to analyze it with a cool head.

Completely agree with this section. Anfield is a morgue nowadays, and frankly I'm disappointed. I much rather play every match away. At least our players get some noise directed at them (even if it is boos and jeers).

Although I agree that Shelvey was completely poor today, I will admit that we've been too rough on the lad lately and it is undeserved. He hadn't played a top tier match for about a month, so it is no surprise that he was not match sharp. I think starting Jonjo was Rodgers' ONE and ONLY mistake today. His poor performance, imo, is understandable and I hold no blame against him.

To be fair to Johnson he has been Mr. Consistency for this whole season and he was overdue a match like this. Can't put too much of the blame on him as the whole team was shite. Completely disagree with you on the Henderson bit. Rodgers played him as a left CAM against Norwich and City and he excelled in both matches. Can't blame BR for doing again since it worked those two times. The only difference was that he had Johnson as the LB (vs Norwich) and it worked better because Glen is much more potent attacking wise than Enrique. The idea behind it (as shown in the Norwich and City matches) was never to play Hendo as a LW but as LAM with the full back bombing forward to provide most of the width. Sterling can be great in the future but he's just not the right player to be coming off the bench to save us just now, much to the frustration of Jose Very Happy

Agreed. Poor decision making from him all game long. But again, no one can really blame him.

Agreed again. And I want to add Carra to that list as well.

Agree on the penalty decision but have to disagree with the Foster remark. I think he was exceptional today. His saves vs. Gerrard were magnificent (the pk and the other shot).

That stat is ludicrous. I wouldn't pay too much attention to it. It's just the media's way to slate us. We beat West Ham when they were in the top 10.

Completely agree. Refer to my previous post on WBA's performance.

Too harsh there. we're playing good football and creating good chances (today excluded). No one could have saved us today. Clarke came in with a brilliant plan, Rodgers can't be blamed as he went with the exact same thing that worked against City and Norwich (only Shelvey is never going to be Sturridge). And yes defense is a huge problem, which I don't think will be solved this season.

You might claim this wasn't a rant, but I sensed the post match frustrations while reading that. I'm sure now that you've calmed down, you would see it a different way, just like myself.

Don't call me James
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Don't call me James on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:55 am

@Art Morte wrote:Our inconsistency can't really be explained any more... I see no visible reasons for it apart from... Rodgers.

Or the fact that the players still need time to gel into the system. Rodgers is the last person to blame here. All he can do is give the instructions on what he wants, the players usually fail him (today being a perfect example of that). If it was a tactical mistake by him, I would personally slate him.

Hendo was never meant to be a winger today. He was meant to play as a left attacking midfielder (where he excelled in the past couple of weeks). Everyone was so poor today that Jordan ended up turning into a LW because frankly Jose's mind was in Ibiza.

Completely agree on this part, Shelvey's best position is CM. He's not even a good AM imo. Rodgers really needs to see that already. The kid is getting too much undeserved hate.

Agger needs to be benched no questions asked. Skrtel was making individual errors and we benched him for a month, now it's Daniel's turn.

Completely agree. They are both human after all.

Refer to my previous post about WBA's game play. And yes top 4 is over. In fact it was over when I last threw a fit and YOU ALL (Sepi specifically) told me we had easier, winnable matches coming up. Laughing This is where I will gladly say I told you so.

Don't call me James
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:45 am

Or the fact that the players still need time to gel into the system. Rodgers is the last person to blame here.

It's not just this game and that gelling argument is just bs at this point, imo.

But throughout the season Rodgers hasn't got the best out of these players. A lot of people - not just on GL - criticize Dalglish's transfers while the fact is that spending £25m+ on Allen and Borini seems to be bearing very little return and it was two of Dalglish's signings in Hendo and Stewart who deservedly started again today. Carroll was sent on loan while this would have been the perfect occasion to at least bring him on as a substitute and give the compact Albion defence something else to worry about than just our dribbles and cute little passes.

We've got an Anfield game against Swansea coming up next in the league and suddenly it's a big game not for the top-4 challenge, but to just show that we are not going to have an embarassing season.

Art Morte
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sunderland

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:16 am

@Fahim89 wrote:
ynwa wrote:I thought Daniel came off injured against Manc City. Wouldn't that mean Borini would get ahead of Sturridge in the picking order, no?

Also, this has the Aston Villa game all over again.

Had a little win-streak going on. Everyone was happy and confident. We failed to take our chances early and were hit on the counter only for Villa to score a goal. We then search desperately for the second and bang, concede after another counter.

PESSIMISM!!!!!!!!!!!! IS TAKING OVER THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! affraid

Or realist? Wink

I knew we weren't going to win this game. An early goal was crucial if we were to get the 3 points today. After we conceded it was all but over. Clarke knows most of our players inside-out. He was taking control of every training session under Dalglish and knew he had to frustrate us in our attack and eventually catch us on the break.

I am expecting to win atleast 6 out of our remaining games so be optimistic. Smile

Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:38 am

ynwa wrote:
@Fahim89 wrote:
ynwa wrote:I thought Daniel came off injured against Manc City. Wouldn't that mean Borini would get ahead of Sturridge in the picking order, no?

Also, this has the Aston Villa game all over again.

Had a little win-streak going on. Everyone was happy and confident. We failed to take our chances early and were hit on the counter only for Villa to score a goal. We then search desperately for the second and bang, concede after another counter.

PESSIMISM!!!!!!!!!!!! IS TAKING OVER THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! affraid

Or realist? Wink

I knew we weren't going to win this game. An early goal was crucial if we were to get the 3 points today. After we conceded it was all but over. Clarke knows most of our players inside-out. He was taking control of every training session under Dalglish and knew he had to frustrate us in our attack and eventually catch us on the break.

I am expecting to win atleast 6 out of our remaining games so be optimistic. Smile

hahahaha i was just waiting for you to pounce upon this ! ! !

Honestly mate most of you know me as a stupid & blind optimist . . . . but this game has really really DISAPPOINTED ME! ! Sad

Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:44 am

You are optimistic and I love that you are but I didn't get that feeling that we were going to get a result against Clarke's men. I was sort of disapointed we didn't convert the peno as that probably would of given us the breakthrough for the 3 points but we move on. The game is full of knee-jerk reactions nowadays. Just two days ago we had one of the best squads in the league playing some of the best football in the league. Today, we sit here with a dissapointing squad with with no hope of fighting for Europe despite being one of the favourites for the top 4 yesterday! Which we were never going to get this season btw.

Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:46 am

Yohan Modric wrote:I think it was though. Aside from Suarez, Liverpool didn't have any finishers starting. Downing and Henderson aren't finishers. Liverpool still should have won with the chances created though.

So using your logic, you're only considered a quality player if you can "finish"?

Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:47 am

Oh, and as "bad and quiet" as Anfield is, it still sits as the highest decibell stadium in all of England...

Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Portman on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:42 pm

Did anyone else almost the entire team gave up after the penalty miss ?

It was like "O well, it's just obvious that we aren't gonna win when GERRARD misses a penalty, so we may as well give up".

It just showed the mental failty of our team.....

---------------------------------------------------
They had a total of one off-target shot until we missed our penalty, and that was the turning point and our team just crumbled and gave up and allowed them to come at us to win.

The only players who weren't AWFUL yesterday were Carragher, Lucas, Henderson and Downing.

Natalie Portman
NOT actually a woman

Club Supported : Shakhtar Donetsk

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:59 pm

ynwa wrote:

So using your logic, you're only considered a quality player if you can "finish"?

If you're part of the attack, then you need to be able to finish well. However like I said, Henderson and Downing aren't finishers.

Anyway I think Liverpool's attack should be this when everyone's fit:

-----Sturridge---Coutinho---Sterling
-----------------Suarez

2 goalscorers there, a winger and a technical AM.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitescu on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:57 pm

Fully understandable Arq. Tbh I'm not even in the mood to rant anymore; however, I do want to analyze it with a cool head.

And I admire that Messia. It shows maturity on your part where I fail at.

Completely agree with this section. Anfield is a morgue nowadays, and frankly I'm disappointed. I much rather play every match away. At least our players get some noise directed at them (even if it is boos and jeers).

YNWA says that the decibel rate is the highest in the PL, which quite frankly is a huge surprise and makes me wonder how bad PL atmospheres really are. Anfield is a myth no as it is.

Although I agree that Shelvey was completely poor today, I will admit that we've been too rough on the lad lately and it is undeserved. He hadn't played a top tier match for about a month, so it is no surprise that he was not match sharp. I think starting Jonjo was Rodgers' ONE and ONLY mistake today. His poor performance, imo, is understandable and I hold no blame against him.

Thing is I have rarely seen any performance (bar against a EL or division 1 team) from Shelvey to justify the large hype that surrounds him. I don't want to slate him any further as he has taken enough criticism as it is but I don't see the point of starting him let alone any of his attributes meriting that. I'm off his hype boat now.

To be fair to Johnson he has been Mr. Consistency for this whole season and he was overdue a match like this. Can't put too much of the blame on him as the whole team was shite. Completely disagree with you on the Henderson bit. Rodgers played him as a left CAM against Norwich and City and he excelled in both matches. Can't blame BR for doing again since it worked those two times. The only difference was that he had Johnson as the LB (vs Norwich) and it worked better because Glen is much more potent attacking wise than Enrique. The idea behind it (as shown in the Norwich and City matches) was never to play Hendo as a LW but as LAM with the full back bombing forward to provide most of the width. Sterling can be great in the future but he's just not the right player to be coming off the bench to save us just now, much to the frustration of Jose

Agreed as Johnson has had a fantastic year and shows up within the big games. Glenno only pissed me off yesterday when he was dawdling on the ball like he had the whole day on him. I don't hold anything against him nonetheless.

I can't agree on Hendo. Those matches he seemed to possess a very central role in which his positioning was considerably different to how he was stuck out left and isolated on the left. Although with Shelvey's awful attacking positions I could not blame him since it was hard to combine. Though this is another discussion. Sterling you know I feel about him but I do think he can be used for impact substitutions in which his pace injection can cause the oppositions attack some massive problems despite his lack of ability to beat his man.

Agreed. Poor decision making from him all game long. But again, no one can really blame him.

Agreed Messia, but it was a little frustrating to see him not trust his teammates at times and waste perfectly good chances whilst blaming others for not passing to him.

Agree on the penalty decision but have to disagree with the Foster remark. I think he was exceptional today. His saves vs. Gerrard were magnificent (the pk and the other shot).

Foster was great as a whole yet Gerrard certainly should have done better for the penalty. He did what Kuyt does and try to calmly slot it on the left while we both know Gerrards' power shots trump over his cute wide angled pk takes.

That stat is ludicrous. I wouldn't pay too much attention to it. It's just the media's way to slate us. We beat West Ham when they were in the top 10.

We did but that was in the domestic cup. I never held any belief to this stat but now that we are increasingly unable to beat a top team, it makes you wonder how effective our system really is vs a upper half team.

Too harsh there. we're playing good football and creating good chances (today excluded). No one could have saved us today. Clarke came in with a brilliant plan, Rodgers can't be blamed as he went with the exact same thing that worked against City and Norwich (only Shelvey is never going to be Sturridge). And yes defense is a huge problem, which I don't think will be solved this season.

I don't really blame Rodger's as at least he shows balls in his tactical systems unlike other managers. Both of us revere his potential in the highest regard although we both do agree he can be naive at times. I put the blame towards Rodger's teams and first team coach who is supposed to be responsible for the defensive tactics in the back which are quite poor.

As a whole I agree with you nonetheless Messia.

Arquitescu
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitescu on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:04 pm

@Art Morte wrote:
Or the fact that the players still need time to gel into the system. Rodgers is the last person to blame here.

It's not just this game and that gelling argument is just bs at this point, imo.

But throughout the season Rodgers hasn't got the best out of these players. A lot of people - not just on GL - criticize Dalglish's transfers while the fact is that spending £25m+ on Allen and Borini seems to be bearing very little return and it was two of Dalglish's signings in Hendo and Stewart who deservedly started again today. Carroll was sent on loan while this would have been the perfect occasion to at least bring him on as a substitute and give the compact Albion defence something else to worry about than just our dribbles and cute little passes.

We've got an Anfield game against Swansea coming up next in the league and suddenly it's a big game not for the top-4 challenge, but to just show that we are not going to have an embarassing season.

Quite harsh Arty.

Henderson and Downing have been given ample time and patience within the team to perform while Allen and Borini (especially) have had less than a season. Allen had to cope with playing a DM in Lucas' absence majority of the time, while having to cope beside Gerrard who plays in the same role as he does (tactically doesn't mix) while Borini has been largely unlucky while recovering from a broken foot (does damage to your play). So I don't see how Henderson and Downing can be compared as especially Downing who has had less than 7 good performances for us as a whole.

Carroll will never fit this system. He doesn't have the movement nor tactical/instinctual intelligence to fit such a system and even in West Ham where he has a style that suits him, he has scored only 2 goals. I love Andy and will continue to support him (if he comes back) but it wouldn't work out.

Arquitescu
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Don't call me James on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:06 pm

btw dat Suarez rabona :bow:

Don't call me James
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender