[ 5 ]
7% 7% 
[ 1 ]
13% 13% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 15

The RW Debacle

Post by BarrileteCosmico on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:37 am

Who would you rather start at the RW? Neither Pedro nor Alexis are having great goalscoring seasons. Alexis unlocked his 'curse' today, let's hope he gains confidence with that, and Pedro likewise has not been the finisher he has been in previous seasons for us in spite of being exactly that for the NT.

In my opinion, Alexis has more influence in the game than Pedro nowadays. While Pedro is no slouch, Alexis is such a hard worker that it's a shame he only gets 15 minutes of game-time most times. He offers more width than Pedro, which increases the passing opportunities and creates more space to exploit (which is lacking) and gets into more goalscoring opportunities than Pedro. If he can use today's match to gain confidence and start scoring goals again I'd prefer him to start over Pedro. Perhaps Tito/Roura should offer him more starts soon, which have been lacking recently, and test this out.

What do you guys think?

Admin

Club Supported : River Plate

Back to top Go down

Re: The RW Debacle

Post by windkick on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:47 am

Pedro by far.

Alexis just runs around aimlessly and to top it off stats to dive when thing's arent going his way. really annoying.

And no Thiago please, enough with putting midfielders on the wings

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:32 am

I would say Alexis if he was able to finish off the chances he gets himself into position to like today, but as he has shown time and again, that's rarely the case.

If Alexis unlocked his 'curse' today, then he has unlocked his 'curse' about 10 times for Barcelona before. Each time he's never able to keep up the form.

For the most part, I've like the way Pedro has looked in the last month, month and a half. I hope we continue to keep the faith in him. But Alexis did well today and I hope he continues to get some minutes here and there and if he plays better than Pedro he deserves the spot. I highly doubt that will happen though. Also I disagree he provides more width than Pedro.

I think I'd actually prefer seeing Tello coming on in the last 20 minutes or so than Alexis though- even if he has to play on the RW where he's not as effective. The kid has played well whenever he's come on and played and he's been pretty damn efficient for the amount of minutes given to him. Today for example- he came on at the end and managed to score a good goal.

I agree, no Thiago. Keep him in the midfield please.

If Cuenca were still here you're goddamn right I'd be picking other but that's not the case. Cuenca Heart

So I'm sticking with Pedro. Those of you I argued with about Pedro earlier on this season can feel all warm and cuddly inside lol
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:22 am

How about the guy in my AV and sell Alexis in the summer for a defender? Smile

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:25 am

That's a good idea too.

NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:41 am

Forgive me, because I've been away... but Pedro's picked up his return quite a bit of late, and while I was away I was definitely under the impression that he was playing well.

Pedro has scored 5 in his last 8 starts. That is perfectly satisfactory for me.

Before that he wasn't scoring, but his season was not bad by any means. Add to this the fact that I'm sure there are tactical instructions which do not help him in terms of number of goals.

Alexis had a good game yesterday, but so did every player on the field. Not taking it away from him, but he still needs to improve a lot.

At this rate I'm pretty sure we will sell one of or both of him and Villa at the end of the year.

To answer the question. Pedro, by a mile. We play much better with him there. His linkup play and passing is far superior.
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:04 am

Pedro should always start on the right. I think Tello should even start ahead of Alexis on the right tbh. Even though Tello is weaker on the right, he has 2 goals this season from the right (Getafe and Valladolid if I'm not mistaken), which is 1 more than what Alexis has all season...and both of the goals Tello scored he came on pretty late while Alexis starts....

So yea, in order of the right I'd go

Pedro, Tello, Alexis.

Like I mentioned earlier, I would even throw Deulofeu out there to see how he does vs weaker sides to give guys rest. Can't be any worse than Alexis on the right.

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:18 am

Thing with Deulofeu is that apparently his personality needs to be “tamed” from what I hear.
No need to rush him, rather educate him a little more in Barca’s way.
I trust that one day he’ll be a starter as RW but for now I’d stick with Pedro, sell Sanchez and Villa (Sad) in the summer and bring that mohawk Brazilian to play LW
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:56 am

Pedro.

However, I dont like how in some games he becomes unsubbable for some unknown reason.

Like, he has had pretty quite games and not even looked like scoring...and he still lasted 80 minutes. That I dont understand.

The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:31 am

@The Franchise wrote:Pedro.

However, I dont like how in some games he becomes unsubbable for some unknown reason.

Like, he has had pretty quite games and not even looked like scoring...and he still lasted 80 minutes. That I dont understand.

I agree, I think he has to be our main RW but we have great options from the bench in Tello and Alexis, they need minutes too.

The problem is that our squad is so deep that we would need 5 subs every match. (Although we underuse subs...)

Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:17 pm

The thing i don't understand when watching is how few times Pedro makes me runs into the box instead he's on the half way line linking up with Alves.

This becomes especially annoying when you consider he's the only forward outside of Messi on the pitch.

Now when i watch Alexis he makes constant off the ball runs either leading to space for Messi or chances for himself which he finds a way to miss time and time again.

If Pedro was making those runs he would probably score a lot more goals as his finishing is superior but for some reason he doesn't.

Its really confusing, i would understand if Villa or Sanchez was on the opposite wing making runs into the box but they are not even playing and it should be one of his sole responsibilities when Iniesta is one of the forwards.

That's the crux of the problem with Barca's attack, Messi has no one making runs outside of him when its Iniesta and Pedro.

Against Getafe he had Villa and Sanchez either side making runs and Thiago and Iniesta in the middle driving the team forward through either dribbling or passes and you saw what you saw.

Yes it was only Getafe but the balance was much better.

If this balance isn't sorted long term then i can see Barca being knocked out of CL as a result of it, obviously the league is practically done but in the CL i see this becoming a problem.

Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:44 pm

I think Pedro comes inside just to be another player available for pass. He isn't always going to be making runs. It also allows Alves to make overlapping runs. However I agree, he could maybe make more runs.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Private

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:00 pm

I must rate Pedro a lot lower than you guys, I find him quite an annoying player to watch at times (very good at others, but he pisses me off a lot too). The main points I have against him have already been brought up:

The thing i don't understand when watching is how few times Pedro makes me runs into the box instead he's on the half way line linking up with Alves.

This becomes especially annoying when you consider he's the only forward outside of Messi on the pitch.

This

And this.

It's very annoying to see Pedro create very very little for 80 minutes only for Alexis to come in and create or assist in the creation of 3 chances. So long as Alexis doesn't score then I agree Pedro deserves to start, but if yesterday is a turning point I believe more faith should be shown on Alexis. He should either start more games than now or get subbed in with 30-45 minutes left rather than 10-15.

Also I don't buy the "tactical reasons" behind him not making those runs. Why is it that when Messi does that we blame his ego but when Pedro does it we blame Tito? I think Pedro could benefit from some competition.

Admin

Club Supported : River Plate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:33 pm

One thing I will say, Tello comes on the pitch and scores. Plus he had tremendous speed.

Alexis for his flaws has 3 things going for him, he works hard, he always gets chances because he moves without the ball and he is quite a decent passer (set up a Messi chance vs Getafe he hit the post with)...so I do think Pedro has competition, the question is balancing it so those guys get a little bit more burn. 10 minutes here or there doesnt cut it for me.

But I still think Pedro is our best option, but I, like Mole and worried and confused as to why he doesnt make those runs as often anymore. I dont know what the reason is, I dont want to speculate on this one.

But overall, I wouldnt call our RW a "debacle"...its pretty good, it just needs a little fine tuning tactically and in terms of rotation.

I dont worry about it as much as Messi's pressing...and both of those things I dont worry about at all in comparision to the Cesc-Iniesta-forward dynamic and our back up centerback/Alba defensive issues.

The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:02 pm

If Alexis can build on his recent performance then Alexis. If we ignore his weird finishing in the past few weeks (which is psychological) and just concentrate on his overall game, he is actually much more threatening in the final third than Pedro. The fact that Alexis gets himself into several goalscoring positions in every game speaks for his immense movement. Pedro goes through matches without even getting himself into goalscoring positions. How many times did Pedro get into a goalscoring position against Valencia? Right, 0 times. Villa came on and could have immediately won the game (lack of minutes made him miss the chance but atleast he got into the correct position in the first place!). Alexis is also not too bad in setting Messi up. He has this weird South American connection with Messi like Alves. Every game he finds a way to set Messi up. He isn't as bad as his misses (which in return destroyed his confidence even more) made him look. A confident Alexis is potentially the best pure winger in the world.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by eelir on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:46 pm

What in the world is Thiago doing here? As we have a real forward playing in LW, and we need another MF in the pitch.
eelir
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Some rotation is needed on the right wing, Alexis needs more faith put in him.

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:14 pm

I just hope we keep using Tello around the 60th-70th minute
He is one of the best super subs in the world next to chichadorito.

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Toronto

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:30 pm

When i wrote my initial post i completely forgot about Tello lol.

Basically i agree with the common consensus in this thread that currently Pedro is the man but the situation should be handled a lot better.

The likes of Tello and Alexis can definitely offer whats required, even if they are not scoring they still offer different things which can be positive for Barca.

The problem right now is Pedro dominates minutes even if he isn't playing well.

There needs to be a better rotation policy when it comes to the RW spot, they don't even have to start games but coming on with 30 mins to go will provide more of an effect than just Pedro playing for 90 mins and not performing.

Really the RW isn't a debacle its just being misused.

Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:35 pm

Agree, the left wing is of far greater worry.

But what I want to know is why the hell Tello doesnt play more.

If he we was Deulofeu, the star and prized assest of La Masia, people would be in uproar if he scored like Tello does and plays like Tello does but doesnt get in the game for so many games and when he does never plays much of it.

The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:18 am

I don't think Tello really plays on the right wing, which leaves us with Pedro and Alexis basically as our only choices there.... :facepalm:

Who the hell decided to loan out Cuenca

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:28 am

Tello came on the right wing vs Getafe.

I am of the opinion he can play on either side.
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:41 am

Ah, that game was too early for me to watch. If Tello can play as effectively on the right as he can on the left, than he should be getting a whole lot more minutes on the field on either side, because it's appalling how little time he is getting.

I can understand Tito trying to get a clear cut starting eleven when fully fit or whatever the reason may be, but as others have mentioned and I have mentioned in the past Pedro must hit the bench more often.

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:34 am

I agree with the general consensus here.

Tello can play on the left or right, but he's better on the left. He's a bit similar to Alexis that way.

Tello has been nothing short of impressive whenever he's come on. He deserves more minutes.

NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Off topic: RW make me wanna Sad

On topic: I'd say Pedro.

First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content