Kick
McAgger
mr-r34
19 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What to do with suarez now - Page 3 Empty Re: What to do with suarez now

Post by Kick Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:33 am

ynwa wrote:He in no way hurts the club image though. I'm not sure why people suggest he does.

The only imagine he hurts is his own.

Are you saying if an employee of McDonald's does something stupid, it makes the news, people are not going to think: Let's not eat there, their employee's might do something to our food.

It hurts the clubs image, And if I was playing for a club I'd not want to face Suarez now because he could bite again.

I would also like to point out, in my senario the employee would get fired, no matter how good they are.

Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:27 am

Are you honestly telling me people will stop eating Maccas because of an act from a random employee? Are you kidding me? lol

Anyway. It'd be stupid to compare the two. McDonald's is a franchise and their main objective to make money. They couldn't care less for their employees. The only reason they'd get rid of an employee is they can either A) exploit somebody else, or B) set person has done something stupid for the company to lose money.

Liverpool is NOT a money making business...

Art Morte wrote:Of course it hurts the club's image if your employees do stupid stuff. We are supposed to hold certain values and if our players act against them it affects our contemporary image. Sunderland just faced a small shtstorm for appointing Di Canio with his questionable views, for example. While our problem with Suarez isn't too big in regards to the image of LFC, it still affects it.

It doesn't though. Liverpool follows the FA's rules. Liverpool have fined him. Liverpool have came out saying we don't accept his behaviour. Liverpool will come out after the FA ban and punish him further. He's done something stupid but the media are making this a bigger issue than it is. There's no real negativity around Liverpool Football Club. The whole thing surrounds Luis Suarez.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:31 am

Not everyone, but certain people would.

Also, What do you think a business is? :facepalm: Every clubs goal is to make money, or else there would be no one who wanted to buy football clubs.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:52 am

ynwa wrote:
Art Morte wrote:Of course it hurts the club's image if your employees do stupid stuff. We are supposed to hold certain values and if our players act against them it affects our contemporary image. Sunderland just faced a small shtstorm for appointing Di Canio with his questionable views, for example. While our problem with Suarez isn't too big in regards to the image of LFC, it still affects it.

It doesn't though. Liverpool follows the FA's rules. Liverpool have fined him. Liverpool have came out saying we don't accept his behaviour. Liverpool will come out after the FA ban and punish him further. He's done something stupid but the media are making this a bigger issue than it is. There's no real negativity around Liverpool Football Club. The whole thing surrounds Luis Suarez.

Come on, if we fielded 11 Suarezes it would obviously have an impact on our club's image. Therefore fielding one has a small impact. It's not too bad yet, but it's not correct to claim that players' actions and their public images don't have any impact on their club's image.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:32 am

Luis was wrong, but before we hound him out let's remember there have been other Liverpool legends who were not exactly saints

By Jamie Carragher

PUBLISHED: 18:01 EST, 23 April 2013 | UPDATED: 18:10 EST, 23 April 2013

Before you carry on reading, it is important to make this point: this is not me trying to defend the indefensible. This is an attempt to put some perspective on the Luis Suarez saga.

It was said in the aftermath of Sunday’s game against Chelsea, firstly by Graeme Souness as he began his analysis on Sky, that nobody is bigger than the club and that Liverpool should make Luis pay the heaviest penalty by getting rid of him.

Now I am not for one moment trying to sugar-coat the incident in which Luis bit Branislav Ivanovic. It was wrong on all levels. You simply don’t expect to see a grown man bite another grown man — that is behaviour you would associate with nursery school.

But the way things are now being pitched is that Liverpool have got to do something about the rotten apple in their midst.

It is as if Luis is the only player to have represented Liverpool who has ever been embroiled in controversy.

That simply isn’t the case.

We have had it many times before, as have every other club in the country. I know this as I was responsible for one incident in January 2002. I threw a coin into the crowd at Highbury during an FA Cup tie against Arsenal after one had initially been flung at me.

Souness, who was captain of Liverpool at the time, broke the jaw of Dinamo Bucharest’s Lica Movila during a European Cup semi-final in 1984 when he punched him in an off-the-ball incident.

It was a serious incident but it is one which fans and some of his old team-mates speak almost nostalgically about.

Robbie Fowler had his scrapes, too. There was outrage after he celebrated a goal against Everton in April 1999 by mimicking drug taking. A couple of months earlier he was hugely condemned when he taunted Graeme Le Saux with a homophobic gesture.

Jan Molby was sent to jail in October 1988 for three months for a drink-driving offence.

More recently, Steven Gerrard appeared in court charged with affray but was subsequently found not guilty.

Every one of the players I mention regretted what happened and Luis is the same. More importantly, the club stood by every one of them.

Luis is normally a bubbly lad around the training ground. He tends to mix mainly with the other South Americans in the group but he is well liked all around because he has a fantastic attitude to his job and just loves playing football.

In my time at Liverpool, very few players have possessed an appetite to win the same as mine but Luis has got it. He trains well every day. When we get a day off, he will come in to do extra work and there is nothing arrogant or flash about him. He slots into the group without problem.

Yesterday, however, it was clear that events had taken a toll.

Luis knows he has done something seriously wrong, letting himself down. He has been told that a repeat of such behaviour will not be tolerated and the club’s stance has been different from how it was following his altercation with Patrice Evra.

But, rather than hounding him out of the country, shouldn’t we be helping him?
We have a top psychologist in Steve Peters who comes to the club once a week and he could have as big a role as our manager, Brendan Rodgers, for Luis.

Ian Ayre has stated that the club are not looking to sell Luis. History shows that message has always been the same. What happened when Tony Adams was released from jail in February 1991 after serving a sentence for drink- driving?

He went back to captain Arsenal and won eight major honours. Look at Eric Cantona.

Less than eight months after returning from his eight-month ban for an assault on Crystal Palace fan Matthew Simmons, he had inspired Manchester United to the Double. It is selfish but clubs need their best players.

As Martin Samuel said in his column yesterday, perhaps if a player of lesser ability had been guilty of Luis’s offence, he would have been shown the door by now. Again, a precedent at Anfield has already been set.

During the Hillsborough memorial service in 2009, Charles Itandje and Damien Plessis were caught laughing and messing around. Itandje, a third-choice keeper with a terrible attitude, was banished immediately. Plessis, who was viewed as being a player of promise, was admonished but stayed.

Morally you could say such standards are wrong but it happens in any walk of life, not just football. If someone is exceptional at what they do, many people are prepared to put up with them regardless of the hassle they may cause.

People may say this is a Liverpool-biased opinion but I don’t want to see another world-class player leave the Barclays Premier League, like Xabi Alonso, Cristiano Ronaldo and Cesc Fabregas have.

We are talking about one of the top five players in world football here.

Finally, I would like to finish by putting forward a thought from a footballer’s perspective about the incident.

The bite was shocking, no question, and everyone who has seen it was amazed. Yet was it worse than a challenge that could end someone’s career?

I know what it is like to have your leg broken by a reckless tackle. Lucas Neill cost me six months of my career in September 2003 when he played for Blackburn. Would I have preferred to have been bitten? Absolutely.

I suspect that Branislav Ivanovic, who has conducted himself with great credit in the aftermath, would agree. You can get up and carry on after a skirmish. If someone shatters your leg, you wonder whether you will play again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2313752/Luis-Suarez-bites-Branislav-Ivanovic-Suarez-wrong--Jamie-Carragher.html

Couldn't agree more.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:25 am

Jamie :bow: :bow: :bow: You classy warrior you :bow:
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:47 am

Kick wrote:Not everyone, but certain people would.

Also, What do you think a business is? :facepalm: Every clubs goal is to make money, or else there would be no one who wanted to buy football clubs.

There are different types of business organisations... lol

Liverpool is a sporting industry. Their sole intention is not to make money, they are winning trophies. We're just going through a rebuilding phase at the moment.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:58 am

Art Morte wrote:
Come on, if we fielded 11 Suarezes it would obviously have an impact on our club's image. Therefore fielding one has a small impact. It's not too bad yet, but it's not correct to claim that players' actions and their public images don't have any impact on their club's image.

The only way it hurts the clubs image is from media going over the top with their reactions. Luis Suarez does not have any impact on the clubs image to the footballing world. It maybe does to the general spectators who are brainwashed from the media, but they're not nobody important, are they?

Players will not refuse to play for Liverpool because of Luis, nor are players are going to want to leave the club because of him. Other clubs aren't going to hold grudges with the club as we don't accept behaviour like that. The club follows ethical rules. The only one here atm that is hurting his image, is Suarez.

I mean, were Ajax harmed because they've had players like Ibra, Suarez, Cruyff etc in the past? No. It means *bleep* all to the club. It hurts the players image more.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:04 pm

10 game ban, from the FA site.

Honestly think this is a load of BS. I would fully understand if he didn't want to stay in that god forsaken POS that is England.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Well, I expected eight. Ten, well, it is what it is. So he'll miss the first six matches next season, hopefully those will be easier fixtures Neutral
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:49 pm

Prob be united home, united away in the six some how.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:21 pm

Feel bad for u guys.... I get the feeling Liverpool never get enough luck or the decisions....the FA is a joke as usual though.... Suarez was wrong but the treatment and media label he gets is over the top.... unfair for both him and the club.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:31 pm

To look at something positive in this from our point of view: Our remaining four games don't really matter in the table. Europe spots are beyond us. It's those six games next season (plus the Merseyside derby this season) that matter, one of them will probably be a League Cup game. Had it been a 10-match ban in the middle of the season with all to play for it would've been much worse.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:53 pm

Any ban between 4 and 6 games would have been completely understandable. 7 to 9 could potentially be justified by the punishment meted out by the Dutch FA for his previous bite (while still being hugely hypocritical within the English game). 10 is a joke, but it's a punchline I think we all saw coming as soon as the bloody PM of England decided he needed to comment on a footballing incident.

I cannot wait to hear how this is worse than Aguero's challenge on Luiz and McManaman's on Haidara, or why they can review the bite in this instance but not in Defoe's.

It is a joke, and LFC/Suarez are the butt of it. Unfortunately, there's little if anything the club can do about it though. Take it on the chin, do our best to ensure Luis doesn't give them a chance to play the joke again in the future, and move on.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:27 pm

Of course. We ALL knew the FA would try to outdo the RDFA's decision to award Suarez a 9 game ban, by handing out 10 games. We all knew how the FA's constant targeting of Suarez would outdo FAR more malicious intents and actions by other players, blanketed by the obvious corruption and prejudice within their incompetent governing board, yet they are so adept at sweeping it under the carpet via their media on their finger. I can't even begin to comprehend my rage at this pathetic board. Not only we are without our best player (who we rely on) this season, yet without him for SIX games next season. Its the worst feeling to know that such a harsh decision can affect even our future hopes. We inevitably will receive some big team (United my Bet) within those 6 games.

And no this does NOT reflect on LFC as anyone who has studied a shred of Media science and communications will understand that. I continue by stance to support Suarez to stand behind him despite his utter idiocy.

Sickened to the core. This is unbelievable.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:04 am

Suarez's actions are beyond defense, and every statement from anyone near to him has suggested that he hasn't tried and is utterly despondent and remorseful about the situation. His apology was swift and comprehensive. Even so, a ban was expected and more than deserved.

However... for the FA to levy a 10-match ban is utterly unbelievable. Perhaps, I should rephrase that. For the FA to levy a 10-match ban is utterly unjustifiable when compared to other "violent conduct" bans. The most recent examply has to be Joey Barton, who recently served a 12-match ban for 2 separate acts of violent conduct (one of which came AFTER receiving a red card). I simply don't understand how this incident is a mere two games less severe. Moreover, Terry's ban of 4 matches for racist statements and Suarez's previous ban of 8 matches for racist statements (for the purposes of this argument, it doesn't matter if they were truly guilty or not) pale in comparison to a physically innocuous incident of violent conduct. (Note: I'm not dismissing it, but I am saying it didn't inflict any real harm, and was never intended or likely to remove Ivanovic from play.) Therefore, let's review the scale being developed here:
- Biting if you are English - Yellow Card (and continued selection for the national team
- Leg breaking tackles - 3 matches
- Racism if you are English - 4 games
- Premeditated leg-breaking tackles - 5 matches
- Racism if you are Foreign - 8 games
- Biting if you are Foreign - 10 matches
- 2 counts of violent conduct (assault) and dissent - 12 matches

Once again, I'm not defending Suarez's actions. he fully deserves a ban, and needs to be helped with his issues. What I don't understand is how the aforementioned scale can be justified. At best it seems to have a vendetta against individual players. At worst, it's xenophobic against other nationalities and sporting cultures.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:26 am

Yes excatly. While Suarez deserves a harsh punishment, FA would be no where as strict (or gleeful) if it were another player.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:03 pm

I found online that this is something like the 15th longest ban EVER given out by the FA for any reason - dating back to over 100 years ago. The short list of things more problematic of biting include testing positive for cocaine and assaulting a fan, but biting is up near the top of worst possible offenses apparently.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by paddy Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:38 am

the edit took out the most important part of the whole post

Last edited by paddy on Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

paddy
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:03 am

paddy wrote:The funniest aspect of all of this was David Cameron coming out and talking about how poor a role model Suarez has been for his son.

Suarez is a class act on the pitch though. As far as I'm concerned he's worth the trouble he brings. He would start for any team in the world. The guy is one of the best players in the world. He'll serve his punishment and he'll be back. Time to let this story die

Cameron should know Suarez is 100 times better role-model for his son, than he himself will ever be.

Jeez, a guy who knows shit about Euro Zone now talking football.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:14 pm

Why the FA panel bit off more than they could chew
27 Apr 2013 07:30

What Luis Suarez did when he bit Branislav Ivanovic was unacceptable. No one is disputing that.
As far as I am aware, no one at Liverpool Football Club is running away from their responsibilities over that.

The club has said that he was wrong. Luis, himself, has admitted that he was wrong, and they were both right and wise to accept the punishment yesterday.

The issue is clearly in the length of the player’s ban and the fact that the FA’s disciplinary system is a horrible mess.

Let’s start with the fact that the FA said before they had appointed the so-called ‘independent’ regulatory commission that Suarez deserved more than the normal three-game ban.

Well, by saying that, they prejudiced the findings of the commission before it has even begun.

They appointed the people to sit on it and they have told them they are there to give him more than three games.

So those three people know they have to give the player more than three games just to justify their existence.

How ‘independent’ does that make the three-man commission?

I wish the FA would just stop playing with words. Because this panel wasn’t truly independent and to say it was is blatantly misleading.

The FA chooses who sits on it to begin with. Does that make it ‘independent’?

And who sits on it? An ex-player, an FA council member and a lawyer already known to the FA.

So there’s an FA council member on an ‘independent’ FA commission. That’s convenient.

And there’s an ex-player, who would probably like to do more work for the FA. That’s convenient, too.

Are they paid, by the way? Are they paid by the FA? Do they do it for free? I don’t know the answer to those questions but I’d like to know.

The point is that the structure of an FA disciplinary procedure like this is inherently unfair.

If you commit a crime in this country, you get the right for your case to be heard by a jury that has no affiliation or responsibility to the people prosecuting you.

That’s not how the FA works it. In fact, their disciplinary system has now become so confused and riddled with anomalies that it is farcical.

They hide behind excuses about the referee saw it or didn’t see it, punished it or didn’t punish it.

So Jermain Defoe bites Javier Mascherano on the arm and gets a yellow card. Nothing more.

Suarez bites Ivanovic and gets 10 games. Why? Because the referee didn’t see it.

He still spoke to him about something and looked like he was warning him but he didn’t see it.

For the benefit of football in this country, there has got to be greater clarification of the rules and more balance in the way offenders are judged.

The most important thing is not the length of the sentence but how they reach it and that information needs to be made public at the time the punishment is announced.

That would have alleviated much of the unnecessary discussion about the ban handed down to Suarez.

The FA has been in need of widespread reform for a long time. The need is getting more and more pressing.

These regulatory commissions have to be independent in more than just name.

- Kenny Dalglish

Long live the king...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/kenny-dalglish-luis-suarez-ban-1855378#ixzz2RgFzojQY
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:49 pm

geez the reasons were a joke .
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:38 pm

Pretty sure the FA invoked a rule about being able to review an extraordinary event even if the referee saw it for the bite... so unless I've misunderstood, they did acknowledge that the referee saw the incident but they created/pulled out some obscure rule to get around it anyway.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:46 am

so apparently he got booed when his name was read out at the pfa event. thos ensures the whole voting and event is a joke.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:00 am

Question is how such an indecent crowd get into such an event. Or voting for PFA is following the election model in DPRK!
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:41 am

mr-r34 wrote:so apparently he got booed when his name was read out at the pfa event. thos ensures the whole voting and event is a joke.

Just goes to show that he wasn't even a chance lol. I mean, is the PFA event not just "professionals" at the venue? They can *bleep* off. Hope Suarez scores 35 goals in all comps next season. I feel he can do it.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next