McLewis
LeBéninois
McAgger
The_Badger
REWB
Onyx
13 posters

Go down

Ludovic Giuly and Christoph Metzelder to retire Empty Ludovic Giuly and Christoph Metzelder to retire

Post by Onyx Thu May 16, 2013 3:55 pm

Former Barceloan winger Ludovic Giuly will call time on his 19-year playing career this summer and recently spoke about his fond memories at Camp Nou.

Frenchman Giuly won two La Liga titles and a Champions League medal with Barca during his time with the club between 2004 and 2007 and has since gone on to play for the likes of Roma and Paris Saint Germain.

The Lyon born winger is currently playing with Lorient in Ligue 1 but has decided to call time on his career and retire this summer.

Having played a total of 714 official matches to date, scoring 153 goals, Giuly remembers his days with Barca as some of the best and discussed his time at the club to France Football.

“Even today, I can still get into Camp Nou without a ticket; they recognize me and let me in. They know what I did for the club. Barça are thankful to everyone who has defended their shirt,” said Giuly.

“For my presentation at Barça, I bought myself a white suit thinking that I would look really smart. Everyone was giving me strange looks but I didn’t realize that white is Real Madrid’s colour! Laporta turned around and said to me: ‘Don’t do that again!’ So the next day, the white suit went straight into the bin!”

“When I was at Monaco, I considered myself to be quite a good player; I had won the Champions League and I was the team captain at Monaco.

“One day I was watching Ronaldinho and then I suddenly realized that whatever I did, I could never do the things he could do. It wasn’t that I had wooden feet or anything, but next to Ronaldinho… That was when I discovered that it was pointless trying to copy him.

“I started playing my own game and it worked out well. I really worked hard to be a part of that team.”

The 36-year-old will play his final game against Paris Saint Germain on May 26th and Giuly is hoping it will be a fitting farewell to a successful playing career.

“All of my family will be there at the Moustoir stadium. I have spoken to the coach about it and I hope he remembers. I don’t want to be let down because I really want to make a dignified exit,” he concluded.

Schalke defender Christoph Metzelder has confirmed he will retire at the end of the current Bundelsiga season.

The 32-year-old former Germany international will hang up his boots after Saturday's trip to Freiburg.

"I am just being honest with myself and I feel that I am no longer physically able to play consistently at this level," he said.

"And after 13 years, the fire inside me, which is necessary for this job, has burnt out."

Metzelder ends a career which saw him wear the colours of Schalke's local rivals Borussia Dortmund and Spanish giants Real Madrid, while he also pulled on a Germany shirt 47 times.

"I look back with gratitude on a fantastic career," he said on his current club's website.

"I passed my A-levels when I was 19 and, two weeks later, I was making my debut in the Bundesliga, and I was capped for the first time just a year after.

"When I look back, I see nothing which could have gone any better. Even the injuries were part of my story."

Metzelder missed a full year due to an Achilles tendon problem while his three seasons in Spain were blighted by knocks and niggles.

"I was very close to having to end my career back then - I still have a letter from my health insurance company declaring I was unable to play sport again," he said.

"I was only 23, but I fought my way back and experienced many great years, including participating in the 2006 World Cup and Euro 2008."

Reaching the semi-finals of the World Cup on home turf seven years ago remains the stand-out moment for the centre-half.

"That is the highlight of my career," he said.

"Those seven weeks, from the first training camp with Jurgen Klinsmann in Sardinia to the reception in front of a million fans in front of the Brandenburg Gate was the greatest time I ever experienced as a professional footballer.

"It was amazing and certainly none of us will ever forget it. I wrote a diary at the time and maybe I should publish it sooner or later."

Metzelder will have plenty of time to do that after this weekend, although he will be kept busy with other ventures, including commentating and charity work.

"I am going to join Sky (Television) as an expert for Bundesliga and Champions League games," he said.

"In addition to that, my Christoph Metzelder foundation takes a lot of my attention and I invest a lot of time in that.

"Our work for disadvantaged children is more important than ever and it is something which has a prominent place in my heart."

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Ludovic Giuly and Christoph Metzelder to retire Empty Re: Ludovic Giuly and Christoph Metzelder to retire

Post by REWB Thu May 16, 2013 4:13 pm

wow these guys have had amazing football careers, great professionalism. when you look at how many footballers there are in the world, you realize how special it is when certain players can play at the highest level for the whole of their career.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Ludovic Giuly and Christoph Metzelder to retire Empty Re: Ludovic Giuly and Christoph Metzelder to retire

Post by The_Badger Thu May 16, 2013 4:24 pm

Metzelder could have been a great if it wasn't for injury and a bad move to Madrid

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu May 16, 2013 4:25 pm

Metzelder, Madrid legend Proud

Giuly was a beast in his prime. 2004 Monaco Proud
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Thu May 16, 2013 7:04 pm

Giuly :bow:
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu May 16, 2013 7:13 pm

Grazie e Grande Ludovico Proud
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu May 16, 2013 7:54 pm

Guily. A very underrated piece in Rijkaards team. He provided a real different edge to the team over a teenage Messi as he constantly worked the flanks, made runs in behind and had ability to create too.

A fine career.

Always good for a missed tap in too Laughing
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Thu May 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Giuly Heart
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu May 16, 2013 10:08 pm

Giuly is an awesome player and guy. Pretty underrated. I didn't see him much, but when I did I always liked him. My young self also liked his name Razz

Giuly :bow:
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by barca 2011 Thu May 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:Metzelder, Madrid legend Proud

Not sure if serious....
I know he did ok but I don't remember seeing anything legendary during his time there.
barca 2011
barca 2011
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu May 16, 2013 10:13 pm

Will always remember Giuly for his screamer knocking out Milan in the semis.

2 great players, wish them both best in their future endeavours.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Thu May 16, 2013 10:22 pm

Unforgettable match ! 2004 - Monaco

LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu May 16, 2013 10:23 pm

bad memories regarding him No

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Fri May 17, 2013 5:00 pm

My God..........what has Ramsey done.......
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down