Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by barca 2011 on Thu May 16, 2013 6:22 pm

2014:

These players either retired at the end of the season (13-14), during the summer or some point during 2014. Among these names once again are true legends, so once again, farewell!

Carles Puyol
Ryan Giggs
Javier Zanetti
Rivaldo
Clarence Seedorf
Juninho
Juan Sebastian Veron
Gabriel Heinze
Harry Kewell
Steve Cherundolo
Christian Chivu

---------------------------------------------

2013:

It seems that many respected figures and classy players are hanging up the boots at the end of this season (or before the 13/14 season), so let's keep track of them here:

Sir Alex Ferguson
Jupp Heynckes
David Beckham
Ludovic Giuly
Cristoph Metzelder
Paul Scholes
Alexander Frei
Mark van Bommel
Jamie Carragher
Michael Owen
Phil Neville
Louis Saha
Doni
David Albelda
Deco
Alessandro Nesta


It's that time of the season again to bid farewell to players and legends, those of which we will never again see on the pitch professionally and to give a thank you to them as well. Add on to the list!


Last edited by barca 2011 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:09 am; edited 18 times in total

_________________
avatar
barca 2011
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 1753
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by Casciavit on Thu May 16, 2013 6:29 pm

van Bommel

_________________
avatar
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 5849
Join date : 2012-08-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by VivaStPauli on Thu May 16, 2013 6:33 pm

Jupp Heynckes probably.

_________________

1 - 8 - 4
avatar
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli
Posts : 7843
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by rwo power on Thu May 16, 2013 6:33 pm

Alexander Frei

_________________
avatar
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Rot-Weiß Oberhausen
Posts : 20980
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by M99 on Thu May 16, 2013 6:46 pm

Jamie Carrahger
Michael Owen

_________________
#JUSTICE4

Invisible Smilies 2012. Join the campaign.

https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/19/48/61/35/pirlo_10.jpg
avatar
M99
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 24324
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 94

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by barca 2011 on Thu May 16, 2013 6:51 pm

@M99 wrote:Jamie Carrahger
Michael Owen
Amazing how even as a youth Carragher has been always been a one-club man.

_________________
avatar
barca 2011
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 1753
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by Grooverider on Thu May 16, 2013 6:55 pm

@barca 2011 wrote:It seems that many respected figures and classy players are hanging up the boots at the end of this season, so let's keep track of them here. I'll start us off:

Sir Alex Ferguson
David Beckham
Ludovic Giuly
Cristoph Metzelder
Paul Scholes
Alexander Frei
Mark van Bommel
Jamie Carragher
Michael Owen


It's that time of the season again to bid farewell to players and legends. Add on to the list!

legends :bow:
avatar
Grooverider
Banned (Permanent)

Posts : 571
Join date : 2013-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by Art Morte on Fri May 17, 2013 3:32 am

Four great English players retiring at once Neutral

Also David James has still played at an Icelandic club this season, maybe he'll retire this summer, too...

I wonder what retirement news we'll have a year from now?

Giggs? Lampard? Nuno Gomes? Zanetti? Gallas? Abidal? Carvalho? Ronaldinho? Di Natale?

Oh well, we will find out then.
avatar
Art Morte
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sunderland
Posts : 15028
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by barca 2011 on Fri May 17, 2013 3:37 am

@Art Morte wrote:Four great English players retiring at once Neutral

Also David James has still played at an Icelandic club this season, maybe he'll retire this summer, too...

I wonder what retirement news we'll have a year from now?

Giggs? Lampard? Nuno Gomes? Zanetti? Gallas? Abidal? Carvalho? Ronaldinho? Di Natale?

Oh well, we will find out then.
I still think Ronnie has a few season in him, albeit not as a top player.
And Zanetti might never retire, lol.

To refresh our memories, what were some of the high profile retirements from last season?

_________________
avatar
barca 2011
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 1753
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by Art Morte on Fri May 17, 2013 3:46 am

@barca 2011 wrote:
@Art Morte wrote:Four great English players retiring at once Neutral

Also David James has still played at an Icelandic club this season, maybe he'll retire this summer, too...

I wonder what retirement news we'll have a year from now?

Giggs? Lampard? Nuno Gomes? Zanetti? Gallas? Abidal? Carvalho? Ronaldinho? Di Natale?

Oh well, we will find out then.
I still think Ronnie has a few season in him, albeit not as a top player.
And Zanetti might never retire, lol.

To refresh our memories, what were some of the high profile retirements from last season?

Ballack, Inzaghi, Roberto Carlos, Shevchenko... those come immediately to mind.
avatar
Art Morte
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sunderland
Posts : 15028
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by TalkingReckless on Fri May 17, 2013 3:47 am

Guus Hiddinks


_________________
http://i.imgur.com/WLBrKyW.gif
avatar
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 4202
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by barca 2011 on Fri May 17, 2013 5:18 am

@Art Morte wrote:
@barca 2011 wrote:
@Art Morte wrote:Four great English players retiring at once Neutral

Also David James has still played at an Icelandic club this season, maybe he'll retire this summer, too...

I wonder what retirement news we'll have a year from now?

Giggs? Lampard? Nuno Gomes? Zanetti? Gallas? Abidal? Carvalho? Ronaldinho? Di Natale?

Oh well, we will find out then.
I still think Ronnie has a few season in him, albeit not as a top player.
And Zanetti might never retire, lol.

To refresh our memories, what were some of the high profile retirements from last season?

Ballack, Inzaghi, Roberto Carlos, Shevchenko... those come immediately to mind.
Wow, more legends. Legends retire every year though.

_________________
avatar
barca 2011
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 1753
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by windkick on Tue May 28, 2013 11:07 pm

Add Juan Carlos Valerón to the list.


_________________
Luis Suárez : "Nutmegs were my only option."
avatar
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 5691
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by barca 2011 on Fri May 31, 2013 6:09 am

@windkick wrote:Add Juan Carlos Valerón to the list.

Is he actually retiring though, or has he just not made clear where he will go at the end of the season. I'm sure it all hinges on whether Depor gets relegated or not.

_________________
avatar
barca 2011
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 1753
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Valeron Retires

Post by Don't call me James on Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:42 pm

Sad What an amazing player. Sad day for football and Depor fans. Such an elegant he was, one of my childhood favorites.

_________________
avatar
Don't call me James
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Sampdoria
Posts : 28121
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 100

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by barca 2011 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Now former Everton player Phil Neville has hung up his boots.

_________________
avatar
barca 2011
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 1753
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by Eivindo on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:33 pm

owen sux
avatar
Eivindo
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 2742
Join date : 2011-06-07
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by Onyx on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:53 am

Louis Saha retires.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Manchester City
Posts : 39316
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by Don't call me James on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:44 pm

Former Roma and Liverpool goalkeeper Alexander Doni has retired from the game because of a problem with his heart.

The 33-year-old was hoping to continue his career with Botafogo, but he has today confirmed that he has hung up his gloves.

“God doesn’t want me to play football anymore,” he told Estadio. “It’s sad that I have to quit, especially because my son wanted to see me play again.

“I would have liked to continue for him, but I can’t do anything about it. I’ve already died once…”

The custodian was referring to a heart attack he suffered in the summer of 2012 while he was on the books of Liverpool.

Doni, who has always struggled with arrhythmia, spent six years with Italian giants Roma after his 2005 move from Juventude.

He will now set up a soccer school in his homeland which will have close links with the Italian capital outfit.

“Now I want to think about the future and also Roma, who I continue to have a good relationship with,” he continued.

Doni joined Botafogo in January 2013, but he’s never played a game for them while awaiting results of various tests.

http://www.football-italia.net/38267/ex-roma-%E2%80%98keeper-doni-retires

Wish him the best of health.

_________________
avatar
Don't call me James
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Sampdoria
Posts : 28121
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 100

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by barca 2011 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:40 pm

Watching this Valencia-Malaga reminds me of adding David Albelda to this list, Valencia legend!

_________________
avatar
barca 2011
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 1753
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by Firenze on Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:40 am

According to Sky Sports News, Nicolas Anelka has walked out of West Brom training and told staff he is going to retire.

Laughing

He played once for them.
avatar
Firenze
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 17946
Join date : 2012-04-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:49 am

rofl

_________________
avatar
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Newcastle
Posts : 54874
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by Firenze on Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:56 am

SKY :facepalm:

Apparently he has NOT retired, just been given compassionate leave. Good news since he's a good budget option in Fantasy Football. Proud

His agent has apparently died :/
avatar
Firenze
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 17946
Join date : 2012-04-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by la bestia negra on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:40 pm

@Firenze wrote:SKY :facepalm:

Apparently he has NOT retired, just been given compassionate leave. Good news since he's a good budget option in Fantasy Football. Proud

His agent has apparently died :/
i believe his agent is actually his brother
avatar
la bestia negra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Bayern Munich
Posts : 2547
Join date : 2011-12-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by Firenze on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:42 pm

@la bestia negra wrote:
@Firenze wrote:SKY :facepalm:

Apparently he has NOT retired, just been given compassionate leave. Good news since he's a good budget option in Fantasy Football. Proud

His agent has apparently died :/
i believe his agent is actually his brother
Yeah, some West Brom Journo says It's an agent of his..but not his brother..or something.
avatar
Firenze
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 17946
Join date : 2012-04-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum