neuro11
Donuts
BarrileteCosmico
Khaled
Isaacb04
63 posters

Page 28 of 34 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34  Next

Go down

'The Messiah' - Lionel Messi V.2 - Page 28 Empty Re: 'The Messiah' - Lionel Messi V.2

Post by Harmonica Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:49 pm

Xaviesta+Villa

WC10 champion (Villa Bronze Ball)
Euro 08 champion (Xavi Best Player)
Euro 12 champion (Iniesta Best Player)

Involved collectively 25/32 goals.

Messi @28

WC14 runner-up (Golden Ball)
CA07 runner-up (Best Young Player)
CA15 runner-up (MVP)

Involved in 24/34 goals.

That's the problem, Messi has to do the work of three players for Argentina.

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

'The Messiah' - Lionel Messi V.2 - Page 28 Empty Re: 'The Messiah' - Lionel Messi V.2

Post by alexjanosik Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:25 pm

messixaviesta wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:
messixaviesta wrote:I don't doubt Messi's talent one slightest bit but being the best that can possibly be is about a little more than talent. Does Messi lack just a little bit in terms of heart and mental toughness in the tightest, hardest and most crucial of occasions? Maybe having top quality players in Barcelona alongside him, some of whom are marginally superior to him in terms of heart and mental toughness, makes us rarely see these shortcomings there but with the national team even though there are a few players like Mascherano who have as much heart and toughness as possible, not having as much talent as Barca, exposes these shortcomings of Messi all the more.

Maradona was Maradona not just for his talent but also for his determination, fighting spirit, mental toughness and leadership (ability to drive his team and bring the best out of others). Maybe in spite of being just as talented if not more Messi can never be Maradona and maybe this is the reason for it.

I never watched Maradona live but there are a few other players who I have watched for years who I think, had they been on the pitch instead of Messi last night, Argentina would have won. Maybe no one will agree with me but I think someone like Zinedine Zidane, Andres Iniesta, Xavi, Pavel Nedved, Steven Gerrard and a few others would have won the match for Argentina last night. We were superior to Chile on paper. They didn't have the big names that we had. What was most missing for us was the one player who could drive things from midfield. Argentina's play maker was Javier Pastore and while he has impressed me with his talent he has also convinced me that he has even less heart, toughness and personality than Messi. It's actually the much maligned Angel Di Maria who probably is the closest to the kind of player Argentina needed last night. Maybe he couldn't have done it but I think the ones I named would likely have done it.

Yes it's true that when Messi had the ball in the right area he was still capable of creating a magical moment and yes it's true that Higuain etc. bottled it big time but what's unforgivable is that this was only Messi's second (and maybe last) international final and he hid on the pitch for so long. Last year in the world cup final he had done something similar but this time it was even more conspicuous. Like alex, dani and a few others here have mentioned time and again laziness has become a disease that Messi just cannot be cured of any more. No one knew more than Messi just how important this was for Argentina and for Messi but he just didn't do enough to the extent that my eyes could barely believe what I was watching. Does the world's greatest player look unsure and scared just because the going has got tough and he is in a battle more than in a football match? Maybe in spite of the superstar that he has become within Messi there still lies that child that suffered from hormonal growth deficiencies and he happens to show himself in the most inopportune of occasions. I can't believe I am saying this but for the very first time I actually understand why some in Argentina don't like Messi and accept their point of view to some extent.

BTW let it be understood very clearly that Barcelona was never a one man team, at least not when we were at our best. Messi is Barca's best player but Barca is much more than Messi. When Messi in a major final sees Iniesta, Xavi, Suarez, Neymar, etc. next to him he feels that much more confidence that the team will win. Without them he loses belief really fast. Messi is essentially a comfort player who needs others to fight and work to make things rosy for him so that he can then work the kind of magic that only he is capable of. He is not a Maradona and cannot do it alone, whatever that may mean.

Maybe this is just a knee jerk reaction from me. Maybe more. I don't know and maybe will never know.

I mostly agree and it is what I have been saying all along. Until he can bring his best form for Argentina and display a transcendental performance,he wont be counted amongst the Holy trinity of Pele,Maradona and Cruyff.I dont mean that he has to win the WC but he has to have a signature tournament like they did.Until then,he will always be mentioned in a tier below them,no matter how much he wins with us.

TBh,I am a little sympathetic with his performance this Copa. He arrived in the form of his life.Unfortunately for him, this Copa happened to be the most cynical tournament in recent history.It didnt help that he was offered very little protection by refs who let cynical play go on. I thought he dribbled quite brilliantly under the tough circumstances but his passing was uncharacteristically off.And when things dont go his way, he starts walking which only compounds the problem.And ofcourse he lacks that intangible which you have alluded to in your post.When things arent going his way,he lacks that extra something which other greats have had.
Still I think he played better in this Copa than in the WC.His play in the KO stages of the WC was shocking and the lack of effort was painful to watch.

Where I disagree with your post is regarding Maradona. I think Messi is a throwback to the older day superstar, like Maradona.A magician who would not offer much movement or defense and just wait for the ball at his feet to then work his magic.Ironically, I think Messi would have fared much better playing for his NT around the same time Maradona did.Back then,a team could afford such a luxury player.
Nowadays a team cant afford such a luxury player who doesnt offer much movement.Same reason why I think Maradona wouldnt have been as successful playing for Argentina as he was back in 86. His space would have been closed down far more easily just like it does with Messi.

The reason why Messi can get away with it at Barca is that we monopolize possession and repeatedly get him the ball in areas where he can do most damage.So his lack of movement isnt as much of a problem.Mind you,it was a major problem last 3 years before this past season.This year he improved a bit and we had Neymar and Suarez.So teams couldnt focus solely on Messi.That coupled with him getting the ball repeatedly in dangerous areas is why it works for us.

Argetina dont monopolize possession and messi doesnt get the ball as much in dangerous areas.They also dont have a Suarez or Neymar who can draw some markers giving Messi some breathing space.

And because he doesnt move,he becomes easy and predictable to defend against.I know what he is going to do even before the match starts.He is going to wait in that right central position for the ball.he isnt going to offer any off the ball runs.he isnt going to make himself free for a pass.After a while of not seeing the ball,he gets frustrated,drops deep into midfield for the ball.gets the ball.If he is lucky,he will go on a nice dribbling run,lay it off to the overlapping winger on the left(Di Maria) and make the trailing run into the box.But he is marked and cant get the ball back.if he is unlucky,he gets dispossessed on the dribble or fouled.Rinse and repeat for 90 minutes.Extremely easy to defend against for a well drilled and disciplined team like Chile.

Bottom line.He needs to run and offer more movement.IMO, movement is the single biggest reason the likes of Neymar,Suarez,Xavi and Iniesta are much better NT players than Messi. They are in perpetual motion and thus are much harder to defend against than a static player like Messi. Messi may be more talented but he is very static and predictable in his movements(or lack of it), which makes him easier to defend.
Until he stops being lazy and actually puts in the effort,he is going to find international success hard to come by.

alex, once again an excellent analysis from you. Nice to see that we largely agree.

Yes I have also always said that more than winning the world cup it's very important to deliver an era defining performance in it. Pele and Maradona are remembered for the timeless world cup wins and Cruyff has universal empathy for an outstanding performance in a losing effort. In spite of his hotly debated best player trophy at WC 2014 Messi hasn't come anywhere close to this kind of stuff.

Yes the lack of intangibles and laziness are the key problems. If he gets the ball at his feet in the right areas he can work magic that only he is capable of at any moment.

You say Messi would be better off in that era with more space. It's an acceptable point but the counter point that comes to my mind is how well would Messi have handled the likes of Claudio Gentile (and he was certainly not the only one) in those days? This Copa aside, players nowadays get so much more protection.

No question Neymar and Suarez helped us get over that problem to a large extent. I have thought time and again that Suarez was the missing piece in our jigsaw. Suddenly everything fit in as if magically and we went from terrible to treble in a very short time.

Yes having others to distract defenders is very helpful. No wonder mole said that even in not so great form Di Maria's direct dribbling drew markers towards him and gave Messi more space. Argentina looked much worse once Di Maria went off.

Very well elaborated on how exactly Messi plays nowadays. Nothing that I can add there.

I have given up hope that Messi will stop being lazy and for that matter ever win a major international tournament, at least not a world cup. This season was my final hope. He was in the form of his life all season even by his peerless standards and I had also seen him working a little harder from time to time. So if he couldn't do it this season and that too in a final my feeling is that he may never do it. Of course I am not a soothsayer and wouldn't mind being proved wrong some day.

The physical play from that time is vastly overrated. Reading people comment(not you),one would be forgiven for thinking there were broken bones every game.Except,there quite clearly wasnt. Gentile at WC 82 is a classic example.Reading accounts,it would appear he ruthlessly scythed down players. Actually seeing the games,it was nothing of the sort. Take the Italy games against Brazil and Argentina in which Zico and Maradona were shut down respectively. There was cynical fouling but I really dont think the fouling was any worse than that in this year's Copa. It is just vastly blwon out of proportion. I would say the treatment Messi suffered was just as bad if not worse than what Zico and Maradona suffered at WC 82.
And he seemed to put up with it quite well.Dribbled very well inspite of the cynical fouling and won a lot of fouls.I have no doubt that he could have handled Gentile and co.I think it is reasonable to say he would have flourished more for the NT in that time.Just like Maradona,his static play wouldnt be as big a liability back then.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:50 pm

So after coming 2nd in yet another final do we think he will be chronically depressed next season and his performances will suffer? I actually thought it would happen after the lost WC final, that he would stop caring about football for a while after missing out on his biggest dream. Gladly I was wrong. This time it seems worse though. After winning the treble the motivation might be gone for good. hmm Discuss.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:05 pm

I think the motivation will never be gone. I mean there's no reason for him to stop while he's still got it. New season, new objectives and he will again be looking to win everything with Barca. Another loss with Argentina pushes him to prove a point again. He will do everything to be the only player to ever defend the CL along with his teammates obviously.

I thought that losing makes you wanna win even more not the other way around hmm He's not playing only for himself but also for the fans and i'm sure he'll keep on pushing himself. He needs to be better than CR too. Messi enjoys his football, it's fun for him.

There's always those kind of questions like yours Fussball there have been question marks after the wc as well and we all know how that turned out. Never doubt in Lionel andres Messi Cuccitini :coffee:

Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:50 pm

Never doubt in the Dark Knight tbh, he has yet to have returned.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:58 pm

Yeah, he looked more depressed this time around didn't even supposedly take the best player of the tournament award, but I don't think he'll slow down. I think it'll motivate him more, especially since he has a team that plays at the highest level.
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:07 pm

Luis Suárez leapt to the defence of his Barcelona teammate Lionel Messi.

The reason was the criticism that the Argentine received after the Copa América in Chile. Suárez said, "They'll always blame him for everything".

The 28-year-old also told the Uruguayan subsidiary of Fox Sports on Thursday that "I get blamed for Uruguay getting knocked out of the World Cup because of my mistake when there were 22 other players, just in the same way that Messi is blamed for Argentina not winning the final".

The Barcelona striker added, "These are circumstances that arise in football, but as captain and the best player in the world, he's the first person who wants to be a champion with Argentina and win something".

"I can assure you of that, both about him and those of his teammates that I know. Every player representing his country wants to achieve great things"
, pointed out Suárez.
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ahmad25 Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:37 pm

Suarez :bow:

Its great to see how team mates love messi. This love makes them great team. Messi might not have leadership abilities but he creates so much love and respect that it keeps them together and makes them stronger. with another dominating super star this team would be destroyed long ago

Yes even Ibra loves him and praises him in every interview
ahmad25
ahmad25
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:56 pm

Biglia on Messi: "He was destroyed and it was heart-breaking, horrible. It was an ugly moment to see someone like him like that."

"He let it all out on the coach. He was crying uncontrollably like a kid."

No

Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:06 pm

linetty wrote:Biglia on Messi: "He was destroyed and it was heart-breaking, horrible. It was an ugly moment to see someone like him like that."

No

Laughing I wonder what this means.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:28 pm

means you shouldn't be surprised if tata suddenly goes missing
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:29 pm

Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:25 am

"We have to thank Leo for choosing to play for a country that turned its back on him," Biglia told Estudio Futbol.

"If he needs a break from the national team, Messi knows that the players will support him."
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by neuro11 Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:35 am

players should better focus on supporting him on the pitch...

neuro11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:15 am

'The Messiah' - Lionel Messi V.2 - Page 28 CJs8bTqWEAA1HA_

Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:22 pm

alexjanosik wrote:
messixaviesta wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:

I mostly agree and it is what I have been saying all along. Until he can bring his best form for Argentina and display a transcendental performance,he wont be counted amongst the Holy trinity of Pele,Maradona and Cruyff.I dont mean that he has to win the WC but he has to have a signature tournament like they did.Until then,he will always be mentioned in a tier below them,no matter how much he wins with us.

TBh,I am a little sympathetic with his performance this Copa. He arrived in the form of his life.Unfortunately for him, this Copa happened to be the most cynical tournament in recent history.It didnt help that he was offered very little protection by refs who let cynical play go on. I thought he dribbled quite brilliantly under the tough circumstances but his passing was uncharacteristically off.And when things dont go his way, he starts walking which only compounds the problem.And ofcourse he lacks that intangible which you have alluded to in your post.When things arent going his way,he lacks that extra something which other greats have had.
Still I think he played better in this Copa than in the WC.His play in the KO stages of the WC was shocking and the lack of effort was painful to watch.

Where I disagree with your post is regarding Maradona. I think Messi is a throwback to the older day superstar, like Maradona.A magician who would not offer much movement or defense and just wait for the ball at his feet to then work his magic.Ironically, I think Messi would have fared much better playing for his NT around the same time Maradona did.Back then,a team could afford such a luxury player.
Nowadays a team cant afford such a luxury player who doesnt offer much movement.Same reason why I think Maradona wouldnt have been as successful playing for Argentina as he was back in 86. His space would have been closed down far more easily just like it does with Messi.

The reason why Messi can get away with it at Barca is that we monopolize possession and repeatedly get him the ball in areas where he can do most damage.So his lack of movement isnt as much of a problem.Mind you,it was a major problem last 3 years before this past season.This year he improved a bit and we had Neymar and Suarez.So teams couldnt focus solely on Messi.That coupled with him getting the ball repeatedly in dangerous areas is why it works for us.

Argetina dont monopolize possession and messi doesnt get the ball as much in dangerous areas.They also dont have a Suarez or Neymar who can draw some markers giving Messi some breathing space.

And because he doesnt move,he becomes easy and predictable to defend against.I know what he is going to do even before the match starts.He is going to wait in that right central position for the ball.he isnt going to offer any off the ball runs.he isnt going to make himself free for a pass.After a while of not seeing the ball,he gets frustrated,drops deep into midfield for the ball.gets the ball.If he is lucky,he will go on a nice dribbling run,lay it off to the overlapping winger on the left(Di Maria) and make the trailing run into the box.But he is marked and cant get the ball back.if he is unlucky,he gets dispossessed on the dribble or fouled.Rinse and repeat for 90 minutes.Extremely easy to defend against for a well drilled and disciplined team like Chile.

Bottom line.He needs to run and offer more movement.IMO, movement is the single biggest reason the likes of Neymar,Suarez,Xavi and Iniesta are much better NT players than Messi. They are in perpetual motion and thus are much harder to defend against than a static player like Messi. Messi may be more talented but he is very static and predictable in his movements(or lack of it), which makes him easier to defend.
Until he stops being lazy and actually puts in the effort,he is going to find international success hard to come by.

alex, once again an excellent analysis from you. Nice to see that we largely agree.

Yes I have also always said that more than winning the world cup it's very important to deliver an era defining performance in it. Pele and Maradona are remembered for the timeless world cup wins and Cruyff has universal empathy for an outstanding performance in a losing effort. In spite of his hotly debated best player trophy at WC 2014 Messi hasn't come anywhere close to this kind of stuff.

Yes the lack of intangibles and laziness are the key problems. If he gets the ball at his feet in the right areas he can work magic that only he is capable of at any moment.

You say Messi would be better off in that era with more space. It's an acceptable point but the counter point that comes to my mind is how well would Messi have handled the likes of Claudio Gentile (and he was certainly not the only one) in those days? This Copa aside, players nowadays get so much more protection.

No question Neymar and Suarez helped us get over that problem to a large extent. I have thought time and again that Suarez was the missing piece in our jigsaw. Suddenly everything fit in as if magically and we went from terrible to treble in a very short time.

Yes having others to distract defenders is very helpful. No wonder mole said that even in not so great form Di Maria's direct dribbling drew markers towards him and gave Messi more space. Argentina looked much worse once Di Maria went off.

Very well elaborated on how exactly Messi plays nowadays. Nothing that I can add there.

I have given up hope that Messi will stop being lazy and for that matter ever win a major international tournament, at least not a world cup. This season was my final hope. He was in the form of his life all season even by his peerless standards and I had also seen him working a little harder from time to time. So if he couldn't do it this season and that too in a final my feeling is that he may never do it. Of course I am not a soothsayer and wouldn't mind being proved wrong some day.

The physical play from that time is vastly overrated. Reading people comment(not you),one would be forgiven for thinking there were broken bones every game.Except,there quite clearly wasnt. Gentile at WC 82 is a classic example.Reading accounts,it would appear he ruthlessly scythed down players. Actually seeing the games,it was nothing of the sort. Take the Italy games against Brazil and Argentina in which Zico and Maradona were shut down respectively. There was cynical fouling but I really dont think the fouling was any worse than that in this year's Copa. It is just vastly blwon out of proportion. I would say the treatment Messi suffered was just as bad if not worse than what Zico and Maradona suffered at WC 82.
And he seemed to put up with it quite well.Dribbled very well inspite of the cynical fouling and won a lot of fouls.I have no doubt that he could have handled Gentile and co.I think it is reasonable to say he would have flourished more for the NT in that time.Just like Maradona,his static play wouldnt be as big a liability back then.

Interesting. I have never watched any games of that era. So I was going by what I had read. Maybe things were exaggerated in writing just as you say.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:27 pm

linetty wrote:Biglia on Messi: "He was destroyed and it was heart-breaking, horrible. It was an ugly moment to see someone like him like that."

No

Are you saying that Messi lambasted the coach in front of other players?

This should mean that unless Messi takes a break from the national team a coaching change is imminent for Argentina.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ahmad25 Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:18 pm

ahmad25
ahmad25
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:10 am

ahmad25 wrote:

most misleading tittle what was the point in the video?
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:21 am

Yeah lol what's up with the video title. It's basically Messi vs Colombia

Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:19 am

His family was still attacked by Chilean 'fans'

The Argentina-Chile "rivalry" is the most one-sided rivalry of all time. Argentines do not care about Chile, at all. And yet, they whistled our hymn, they chanted 'ole' to Paraguay and Jaimaica as they were both losing, and attacked Messi's family. Their inferiority complex is too strong.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:37 pm

So that means that it will give Chile even more pleasure in forever gloating that they got the better of Argentina in a Copa America final.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:48 pm

Diego Maradona offers an interesting and somewhat mixed opinion in this matter.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/586/copa-america/2015/07/13/13550782/messi-doesnt-get-a-touch-for-argentina-maradona?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:58 pm

'The Messiah' - Lionel Messi V.2 - Page 28 CJ-beCZWgAACtwt

'The Messiah' - Lionel Messi V.2 - Page 28 CJ-f2peWIAAVq_s

'The Messiah' - Lionel Messi V.2 - Page 28 CJ-dHc8WsAAck9W

Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:23 pm

Unless those stats are normalized on a 90 minute basis all it means is that Messi played the most games
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ahmad25 Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:41 pm

So its
1. Messi
2. Tevez
3. and others

@barrileco
there is 40+ difference, i think playing 1-2 games more will not affect that difference
ahmad25
ahmad25
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 34 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34  Next