S
Art Morte
Donuts
lenear1030
Swanhends
45 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Qatar World Cup Scandals Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Qatar World Cup Scandals Thread

Post by la bestia negra Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:22 am

do you guys think fifa actually gives two shits about the workers

it saddens me alot

la bestia negra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Qatar World Cup Scandals Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Qatar World Cup Scandals Thread

Post by rwo power Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:15 am

I would love to see the World Cup in England, too. At least there you'll have a whole country that upsolutely loves football and the stadiums are already there and will not only be in use for one event.

A World Cup built on the deaths of uncounted slaves has a dark fate upon it.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:10 pm

rwo power wrote:I would love to see the World Cup in England, too. At least there you'll have a whole country that upsolutely loves football and the stadiums are already there and will not only be in use for one event.

Although I don't support Qatar hosting the WC, its comments like these which really show you have absolutely no clue on what you're talking about. Qatar, in fact the whole of Middle East are very very passionate about football, the people love it and are very connected to it.

Would a World Cup in a different country be better? Yes. But, lets not act like its a country that has barely any football interest which couldn't be further from the truth.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:20 pm

If you boycott Qatar, then you should also have boycotted China.. should boycott Brazil... and also Russia.  China's slave labor issue is atrocious especially.

Doesn't make it right...  but there are events that are happening much earlier than the 2022 WC in countries that have very similar and sometimes more serious issues.  No reason to wait until 2022 to stand up for human rights... should happen now.  But it won't.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:54 pm

It's beyond words trying to describe this. FIFA took the money, they have too much power without being accountable to pretty much anyone and here's where it leads to. Horrible.

rwo power wrote:I would love to see the World Cup in England, too. At least there you'll have a whole country that upsolutely loves football and the stadiums are already there and will not only be in use for one event.

My new favorite way of spelling that word.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:09 pm

sportsczy wrote:If you boycott Qatar, then you should also have boycotted China.. should boycott Brazil... and also Russia.  China's slave labor issue is atrocious especially.

Doesn't make it right...  but there are events that are happening much earlier than the 2022 WC in countries that have very similar and sometimes more serious issues.  No reason to wait until 2022 to stand up for human rights... should happen now.  But it won't.
What kind of bullshit is this? Brazil has a stellar human rights record, especially if compared against Qatar, China and Russia.

If enough countries threaten to boycott now perhaps we're still in time to change the venue.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:15 pm

Casciavit wrote:

Although I don't support Qatar hosting the WC, its comments like these which really show you have absolutely no clue on what you're talking about. Qatar, in fact the whole of Middle East are very very passionate about football, the people love it and are very connected to it.

Would a World Cup in a different country be better? Yes. But, lets not act like its a country that has barely any football interest which couldn't be further from the truth.

bULLSHIT

whenever Iranian teams play in Qatar against their clubs or national team....the stadium is ALWAYS, and ALWAYS at least half empty, is not totally empty Laughing

Qatar passionate about football rofl rofl

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by la bestia negra Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:44 pm

Natalie Portman wrote:
Casciavit wrote:

bULLSHIT

whenever Iranian teams play in Qatar against their clubs or national team....the stadium is ALWAYS, and ALWAYS at least half empty, is not totally empty Laughing

Qatar passionate about football roflrofl

what would you expect from holding an even in such a tiny country

and thats only qatar in the ME region

take a look at saudi arabia
la bestia negra
la bestia negra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:55 pm

Casciavit wrote:Although I don't support Qatar hosting the WC, its comments like these which really show you have absolutely no clue on what you're talking about. Qatar, in fact the whole of Middle East are very very passionate about football, the people love it and are very connected to it.
Well, I have severe difficulties imagining the fans partying outside the stadiums in fan festivals with hundreds of thousands lightly clad people singing around with beer and stuff with ladies and gents together, hugging and dancing etc ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:23 pm

rwo power wrote:
Casciavit wrote:Although I don't support Qatar hosting the WC, its comments like these which really show you have absolutely no clue on what you're talking about. Qatar, in fact the whole of Middle East are very very passionate about football, the people love it and are very connected to it.

Well, I have severe difficulties imagining the fans partying outside the stadiums in fan festivals with hundreds of thousands lightly clad people singing around with beer and stuff with ladies and gents together, hugging and dancing etc ^^

Qatar already said that drinks and stuff like these will be allowed and embraced.

And yeah the stadiums were empty for Qatar vs Iran but I bet my life that Brazil vs Spain will see a full house.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:34 pm

M99 wrote:Qatar already said that drinks and stuff like these will be allowed and embraced.
Qatar also said there'd be artificial clouds and stuff. Well. We will see...
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:47 pm

M99 wrote:
rwo power wrote:

Qatar already said that drinks and stuff like these will be allowed and embraced.

And yeah the stadiums were empty for Qatar vs Iran but I bet my life that Brazil vs Spain will see a full house.

of foreign fans.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Badger Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:54 pm

B-Mac wrote:just give it to England like they should of ffs, could host the bloody thing tomorrow if it had to

England didn't bid for the 2022 WC, and it wouldn't come to Europe anyway seeing as 2018 will be in Russia.

It should have gone to the US or Australia.

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:19 pm

Art Morte wrote:
M99 wrote:
rwo power wrote:

of foreign fans.

Whatever floats your boat. I don't want the World Cup happening in Qatar but some of the blind hate is ridiculous. In Bangladesh no one went to the stadium to watch Bagladesh vs India but it was sold out for Argentina vs Nigeria. The Qatar fans are the same. I went to the Middle East and I know how much they love football.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Badger Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:24 pm

If Qatar is prepared to relax its Draconian laws and rules for the World Cup and embrace celebrations that would otherwise land people in bother, why can't they be like that all the time?

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by la bestia negra Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:20 pm

rwo power wrote:

should have had my video cam when we played uruguay
la bestia negra
la bestia negra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Puyol Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:52 pm

World Cup California Cool 
Mr_Puyol
Mr_Puyol
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:06 am

Qatar World Cup 2022 investigation: former Fifa vice-president Jack Warner and family paid millions

Documents appear to show a senior Fifa official and his family were paid millions by a company controlled by a former Qatari football official shortly after the country won its bid for the 2022 World Cup

A senior Fifa official and his family were paid almost $2 million (£1.2m) from a Qatari firm linked to the country’s successful bid for the 2022 World Cup, The Telegraph can disclose.

Jack Warner, the former vice-president of Fifa, appears to have been personally paid $1.2 million (£720,000) from a company controlled by a former Qatari football official shortly after the decision to award the country the tournament.

Payments totalling almost $750,000 (£450,000) were made to Mr Warner’s sons, documents show. A further $400,000 (£240,000) was paid to one of his employees.

It is understood that the FBI is now investigating Trinidad-based Mr Warner and his alleged links to the Qatari bid, and that the former Fifa official’s eldest son, who lives in Miami, has been helping the inquiry as a co-operating witness.

The awarding of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar was one of the most controversial decisions in sporting history. The intense summer heat in the desert nation has raised the prospect of the tournament being moved to the winter for the first time.

Although Qatar has repeatedly denied wrongdoing during the bidding process, it has long been suspected that the decision was flawed, and several members of the Fifa committee have faced corruption allegations.

It can be disclosed that a company owned by Mohamed Bin Hammam, the Fifa executive member for Qatar, appeared to pay $1.2 million (£720,000) to Mr Warner in 2011.

A note from one of Mr Warner’s companies, Jamad, to Mr Bin Hammam’s firm, Kemco, requested $1.2 million in payment for work carried out between 2005 and 2010.

The document is dated December 15, 2010, two weeks after Qatar won the right to host the tournament, and states that the money is “payable to Jack Warner”.

Mr Warner’s two sons and an employee were paid a further $1 million (£600,000) by the same Qatari company.

One document states that payments are to “offset legal and other expenses”, but a separate letter claims that more than $1 million cover “professional services provided over the period 2005-2010”.

At least one bank in the Cayman Islands initially refused to process the payment amid fears over the legality of the money transfer. The money was eventually processed via a bank in New York – a transaction that is understood to have come to the attention of the FBI. A well-placed source said: “These payments need to be properly investigated. The World Cup is the most important event in football and we need to be confident that decisions have been made for the right reasons. There are lots of questions that still need to be answered.”

Mr Warner was one of the most experienced members of the executive committee until he stood down in 2011 and served as vice-president of the organisation for 14 years. He was one of the 22 people who decided to award Russia the 2018 World Cup and Qatar the 2022 tournament. It is understood that the FBI is investigating payments to Mr Warner and that one of his family members has been acting as a “co-operating witness”.

The investigators are thought to be focusing on Mr Warner’s American and Grand Cayman accounts.

Michael Garcia, the joint chief investigator of Fifa’s ethics committee, is also investigating irregularities surrounding the bidding process. He is expected to deliver his report to the committee later this year.

The disclosures will add to concerns that some Fifa executive committee members were not impartial when they cast their votes in December 2010. England suffered a humiliating defeat when it secured only two votes to host the 2018 World Cup and was eliminated after the first round.

Even before the decision was made, there were persistent allegations of corruption. Six weeks before the vote in Zurich, a World Cup official was caught in an undercover investigation agreeing to sell his vote to one of England’s rivals. A second member of the same committee was recorded asking for £1.5 million for a sports academy. Both officials were suspended, meaning that 22 people voted instead of the usual 24.

A whistleblower also claimed that one of the bidders had bought the votes of three African executive committee members. The former Fifa employee later withdrew the allegations.

Following England’s defeat, a parliamentary committee held an inquiry into the failed bid. Lord Triesman, the bid’s former chairman, gave evidence stating that four Fifa executive committee members had asked for business deals and favours when negotiating their support. One of those he named was Mr Warner.

The Labour peer said that the then Fifa vice-president had asked for money to build an education centre in Trinidad, with the cash to be channelled through him, and £500,000 to buy World Cup television rights for Haiti.

In June 2011, Mr Warner resigned from all football posts after he was accused of facilitating bribes to members of the Caribbean football union on behalf of Mohamed Bin Hammam, who was standing against Sepp Blatter to be Fifa president. A report by the Fifa ethics committee found that there was “compelling” evidence that Mr Warner was “an accessory to corruption”.

Mr Warner was caught on tape apparently urging fellow Fifa officials to accept cash gifts from Mr Bin Hammam, the disgraced former presidential candidate.

The documents seen by The Telegraph raise further questions about Mr Warner’s activities. One email, which appears to have been sent by one of Mr Warner’s employees, shows that the staff member personally received $412,000 from the Qatari company and that Mr Warner’s son, Daryll, was paid $432,000. Daryan, his other son, was paid $316,000 via a company called We Buy Houses.

Regarding the payments to Daryan, the email states that he was “contracted … based on his understanding, contacts and history with the regional players who make up an integral part of the defence team … pursuant to Fifa bribery allegations. As stated in our letter of June 11, 2011, the value of US $316,000, and this is an initial deposit to offset legal and other expenses related to the matter.”

In July, a different email shows that “monies in the amount of $1.2 million” were wire transferred to J&D International, another of Mr Warner’s companies, by the same Qatari firm. It states that this is to “offset legal and other related expenses associated with regard to an ongoing matter”.

Mr Warner and his family declined to comment. A spokesman for Qatar’s 2022 World Cup organising committee said: “The 2022 bid committee strictly adhered to Fifa’s bidding regulations in compliance with their code of ethics.

“The supreme committee for delivery and legacy and the individuals involved in the 2022 bid committee are unaware of any allegations surrounding business dealings between private individuals.”
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:31 am

Jack Warner receiving bribes from Qatar's World Cup bid, that's about as surprising news as Mourinho complaining about something.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:23 pm

M99 wrote:
Art Morte wrote:
M99 wrote:

of foreign fans.

Whatever floats your boat. I don't want the World Cup happening in Qatar but some of the blind hate is ridiculous. In Bangladesh no one went to the stadium to watch Bagladesh vs India but it was sold out for Argentina vs Nigeria. The Qatar fans are the same. I went to the Middle East and I know how much they love football.

Thats because both Bangladesh and India is a cricket mad country.Just check the crowds for the 2011 world cup or the Asia cup in recent past.Also because Arg and Nigeria was a one of event where lot of sponsor tickets were distributed.

Whereas Football is the most popular sport in Qatar .Comparing both is just ridiculous
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:31 pm

Everybody in FIFA receives bribes... you think the Russian choice or any of the other choices were bribe-free?  It's just the cost of doing business with FIFA.  Heck, it's even like that in the US except that they institutionalized it with terms like "lobbying" and "campaign contribution".
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:43 pm

The only reason this is news is because the USA and England lost out to Qatar and Russia.

"Boo hoo why can't the world cup be in our western corruption free utopia!! Sad"

The media campaign against this world cup has been sad and frankly in the grand scheme of things inconsequential. Russia showed it can host a sporting event to a high standard with Socchi (from what I've seen) and I am absolutely sure that Qatar is going to blow people away with an amazingly run World Cup because it's going to have full backing and attention of everyone involved in the country and the reigon.

As for the people complaining about the rules and customs etc well   tough luck my advice would be don't go (not that you were going to anyway). There will be plenty of people who will go and have a great time and they won't need alcohol or half naked women to do it.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:13 pm

@ BG & M99, Qatar may be football loving country but they got about the same population as my county or whatever you call it. Also their love for football is not at the level of Japan or Korea. In recent times countries like Lebanon or Oman has out performed Qatar. If you put all these together it's not surprising that even in key games the stadium will remain (half) empty.

As for Bangladesh, the decline in football (audience & performance) is result of undetered effort of our officials over last 20 years. Rise of Cricket just gave the fans something to cheer about.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:40 pm

So bribes are okay?
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:46 pm

FalcaoPunch wrote:So bribes are okay?

Of course not but when everyone is doing shitty stuff to make make money it's hypocritical and silly to cry about how someone was better at bribery than you were.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by che Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:56 pm

Zealous wrote:The only reason this is news is because the USA and England lost out to Qatar and Russia.

ooooor it could be news because the next two world cups will be hosted by a) a homophobic warmongering cleptocracy and b) a homophobic desert town built by indian slaves

nah... it's obviously a smear campaign by the british and american media to make the paradise countries of russia and qatar look bad... also jews, i'm sure they have something to do with it
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next