Arsene Wenger Contract Discussion Thread

Page 5 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Arsene Wenger Contract Discussion Thread

Post by Twoism on Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:32 pm

@urbaNRoots wrote:Klopp and Martinez are plan B/C after Vieira? Laughing

Can't say much about Vieira as manager, as I haven't seen him any of his teams so far and he's far too inexperienced for the job. We saw what kind of a manager Roy Keane turned out to be but then Atletico's Simeone is a counter argument. Could go either way.

After what he did for City and the things he said about us while working there, I would take Remi Garde before him

Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:57 pm

Yeah, never liked what he said about us and the fact that he worked there even if he was waiting on an offer from us first.

I'd hope our next manager would be a long-term one. You can't expect to see managers staying 10+ years in the modern game but hopefully someone with a bit of integrity who will withstand the offers from big teams like Wenger did.

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:24 pm

@VendettaRed07 wrote:Gonna get laughed at but Wengers successor should be Derek McInnes.

Young adventurous manager. Totally passionate, extremely dedicated, the players love him. Knows the teams weaknesses in and out. His tactical adjustments have been top notch. Plays aggressive, attacking football, and ironically, I'd say similar style of play to Arsenal, albeit more direct.. But still.

He has done wonders in the transfer market with absolutely ridiculously limited funds.

And there's been a pretty decent history of aberdeen managers moving to the Prem  smoking 

Would hate to see him leave the dons he's done so much for the spl but I think it's only a matter of time before he gets picked up by another team

Scottish, you say? Aberdeen? He'll be on our shortlist before he's on yours  Razz
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:34 pm

No one has mentioned it yet but Frank de Boer with God as assistant manager could be a really good option aswell. We have Jonker (another dutchman) in our academy.

Would be a good combination to have, a young yet successful manager, Bergkamp 'nuff said and an experienced coach in Jonker as head of academy.

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:00 pm

nah want some long term option that would dedicate his career to Arsenal

One Arsene Wenger

keep these figures ,who would jump the chance to join barca, away from us with all due respect

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
Spoiler:
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:06 pm

You won't find many world class managers who will dedicate their career to one club, it's unrealistic thinking. Pep Guardiola had it all in Barcelona, and he still left because he needed other challenges.

We don't neccessarily need a long-term coach, ideally yes but not neccessarily. We are a financially strong club now and can afford to make more changes and take more risks.

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:40 pm

Steve Bould deserves the job more than Viera  :coffee: 

Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:04 am

Wenger can stay as long as he will get rid of Giroud the same way as Gervinho.

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:09 am

Viera+Herny+Iceman=

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by SUPERCARTTS on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:30 pm

HAs Wenger singned? Does everything hinge on where we finish? FA Cup outcome?

REGARDLESS...offering Wenger a new deal is crimininal. I respect the man; he brought a revolution with him to Arsenal and Football as a wole. But besides what he achieved in his first 10 year, the last 8 have been diabolically horrible.

I'm not about to list his failings, but with that said, in what other line of work will you be the highest earning individual- experiencing several pay increiments - yet fail to produce anything tangile besides profits.

If we were a Bank, then this argument about Wenger would be futile. Fortunately for us we are a Football Club. A team with very knowledgable and respected fanbase. Granted it's taken time for us to see what going on, but better late than never.

I would like to see us achieve top 4 and win the FA Cup. With Wenger leaving with his head raised slightly higher than it has been in recent times. Another season(s) and I think I'll have to abstain from following Wenger.
SUPERCARTTS
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ on Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:55 pm

It's very arguable that he hasn't produced anything tangible. The Emirates itself begs to differ lol.

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:10 pm

What do you all say about Martinez once Arsene eventually retires/leaves?

I think he is destined to be our manager.
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:58 pm

I like him, does well with what little resources he has. Has been magnificent with Everton. Liked the players he brought in, plays attractive football and is a level-headed well-mannered speaker.

That being said, perhaps it would be better to approach him in a season or two if Wenger was thinking about leaving then. Give him some time at Everton, would be a big jump from Wigan, a season at Everton and then succeeding Wenger.

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:03 pm

I like Martinez' work very much, his teams play sexy football, he's been relatively successful as a manager, all this against bigger teams aswell and seems to know how to make most of his transfer budget. On top of that he seems to be a really classy guy. He definitely has a bit of Wenger in him.

I want to see how he replaces the ageing defensive players at Everton though (Distin, Jagielka, Howard) because that has been one of his flaws in his Wigan time from what I remember, his defenders have always been crap and he never seemed to replace them properly.

What I like about him most though is his positive character and his commitment, I was just reading this earlier: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/27/roberto-martinez-everton-rebuild-training-round

Reminds me of Wenger when he came here and changed a lot around the club and made us what we are. :bow:
urbaNRoots
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:46 pm

There's certainly a lot to like about Martinez, and I would add that he also possesses an ability to get the most out of talented young players such as Victor Moses, Callum McManaman, Deulofeu, Lukaku, Stones and Barkley. He's got a very defined philosophy on how he wants his team to play, tends to set his teams out with a positive mindset and presents himself with dignity and a certain amount of class; all of which appear very compatible with us.

I do think he needs more time at Everton before making such a step-up, though. His work there has been excellent this season but it'll be interesting to see whether he can replicate it since he'll have to replace a few players, specifically Deulofeu and Lukaku, at Everton, compete with Spurs and United, as well as anyone in the current top four who drops down, who are bound to be stronger after the summer and cope with European football on top of all that. It's all well and good getting your team playing well when you have a week's rest between most games, but when you've got to play on a Thursday night, then a Sunday it really tests your fitness and squad depth.

Then again, if you're that sure he's the right man, then why not just take the chance? Brendan Rodgers only managed Swansea for a single season in the Premier League before he went to Liverpool and he's managed to be a success, albeit after an indifferent first season.

Martinez is definitely one to earmark as a potential replacement, but whoever replaces Wenger is going to have a very difficult job of making his mark on the club.
Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:29 pm

I'm roughly in agreement with everyone else - Martinez seems like one of the good guys, classy, attentive to the right kinds of details. But I would prefer to see what he can do for another year or two at Everton. Including how he handles this summer's transfer market, since he's said he's been saving up for a (relatively) big splash.

As usual, everything Jay says above is totally sensible.

There aren't really any managers I'd prefer to have at Arsenal right now than Wenger (and I say this in full knowledge of Wenger's own shortcomings) but there are a handful of possible successors who don't make me want to puke. Martinez is one of them.
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Agreed with all of you. Feel the same way

This interview last year is extremely fascinating. Specially his knowledge on physiotherapy(as he has a degree in it)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2132819/Matt-Lawton-Interview-Roberto-Martinez--man-shook-season.html
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:49 pm

I don't mean to twist the knife in, but your fans are already frustrated at the lack of trophies from Wenger(rightly or wrongly), will they be willing to be patient with someone like Martinez who has less of a history with them?
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:25 pm

That's a difficult question to answer, since a lot of Arsenal fans haven't been in a situation where the manager has changed. On one hand, they may understand that replacing Wenger after he's managed for so long isn't going to be easy, and have the example of Moyes at United to prove that, so they may be more understanding. On the other hand, the frustrations that have been aired in the last few years may just be transferred over to the new manager, only this time he won't have several years of success nor lack of riches to protect himself with.

I think the fans would be understanding if the first season didn't yield a lot of success, so long as they're signs of progress. Even if it went wrong in the way it's gone wrong for United under Moyes, I believe that our hierarchy would be patient and wouldn't dump the new manager right away regardless of how frustrated the fans are. But with high expectations and the money to reach them, fans certainly wouldn't be giving the new manager 10 years to win another trophy.
Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:40 pm

Really all depends on how Wenger leaves. Ideally he goes after a bit more time with more success and his head held high. In that case, the team is held together and poised for a fruitful future, therefore he should be allowed at least one season to mesh with the club but I don't see him struggling as much as Moyes if this extremely hypothetical situation were to unfold. (With all this, it being a given that he continues to prove an able manager at Everton until his hypothetical appointment at Arsenal)

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:04 am

Wenger" Martinez as Arsenal manager is like a trophy" Laughing 

No longer transfer Failures, mid-season stubbornness with poor tactics, poor decision-making and same strategy and no plan B. :bow:  Thumbs up

The best of all no more Giroud. Razz 

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:50 am

Raptor instead of Giroud, Martinez has a hard on Tom Cleverley Laughing

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:14 pm

Increasingly looks like he will walk after this season. He has too much self respect to stay where majority wants him out.
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ on Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:26 pm

He really should have announced he was staying while we were in good form imo. His indecision has destabilized the squad quite a bit.

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:51 pm

If you have a manager whose only option is to bring on Yaya Sanogo when we are 3-0 down in in such huge game, you know that we have a manager who is clueless and a team which has no depth and class at all.

I just hope Wenger calls it quit. There is no need to tarnish and destroy his legacy with this persistent failure. Give him a billion dollar to spend he will still find a way to *bleep* it up.

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:24 pm

So other than Martinez, does anyone have any other ideas for a replacement assuming Wenger walks at the end of this season?

I looked around for some potential names - not sure if some are attainable, though:

Mauricio Pochettino - Southampton
Diego Simeone - Atletico Madrid
Ernesto Valverde - Atheltic Bilbao
Rudi Garcia - Roma
Jurgen Klopp - Borussia Dortmund
Remi Garde - Lyon
Frank De Boer - Ajax
Louis van Gaal - Netherlands
Marcelo Bielsa - Unattached
Steve Bould
Patrick Vieira
Jay29