RealGunner
Highburied
DuringTheWar
urbaNRoots
Arsenal4Eternity_dennab
45 posters

Page 9 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

Arsene Wenger Contract Discussion Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Arsene Wenger Contract Discussion Thread

Post by MJ Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:34 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:that's not the same though.

If I understand right, the criticism towards Wenger is that he pays too little attention to adapting tactics relative to who you face.
Obviously I don't know if this is true, or in any case an exaggeration, but that would actually be an explanation to the away game debacles against top teams.
In my opinion a better exlanation than 'lacking mentality' or such diffuse nonsense.

You played the Liverpool game as if you hadn't seen the Everton loss at Anfield a couple of weeks before, or as if you decided to ignore it.
I wouldn't say it's far fetched to speculate for Wenger to be slighty too arrogant tacticswise.

I wasn't talking about preparation. I was referring to a Le Grove article that spawned the misconception that Wenger is totally ignorant of all tactical analyses including his own team's.

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Arsene Wenger Contract Discussion Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Arsene Wenger Contract Discussion Thread

Post by Jay29 Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:28 pm

Frank De Boer on the verge of winning his 4th straight title with Ajax which, even in the Dutch league, is a great accomplishment.

Some reading on him:

http://www.whoscored.com/Articles/c8-iteclvkemlnbost07qg/Show/Team-Focus-Explaining-Ajaxs-Style-Under-De-Boer

Seems very similar to Wenger, according to that.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:40 pm

De Boer and Bergkamp honestly would make the most sense after Martinez. Or even on par with him. Bergkamp knows the club inside out while De Boer is a young manager who, if successful can be at Arsenal for many years providing the stability Arsene did when he came and stayed.

Reading that article, it's clear that De Boer believes in principles and values similar to Arsene that should be applies to the way the football should be played. He is running a project at Ajax, and an ambitious one. Granted he can't do much with it seeing the state of Eredevise but 4 titles in a row is pretty impressive.

IMO, any manager would be a gamble unless it's Pep, Mourinho or Hynckes. But it's a gamble we have to take. We are at a stage where most of the young fans were born after Arsene took charge and have always seen him there while the older fans know the value of Arsene and what he has done so both sets would be reluctant for a gamble but everything has an end.

It might as well be a time for a new era.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:25 am

The only problem is that he seems determined to continue at Ajax and try to make them a strong european team again. Refused Liverpool and Tottenham job before.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:26 am

We are a stronger lure than Liverpool or Tottenham were though.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:15 am

I respect that he turned down those jobs. If we were able to convince him we'd have some level of assurance that he'd stay through stronger lures. Love his ideology, very in line with Wenger's.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:19 am

urbaNRoots wrote:The only problem is that he seems determined to continue at Ajax and try to make them a strong european team again. Refused Liverpool and Tottenham job before.
Well with Ajax being the ever willing selling club, it would be hard for him to accomplish that.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:10 pm

We also used to be a "selling club" but we are not anymore. Ajax as a big club, will get financially stronger in the coming years and will be able to keep their best players for a bit longer than they do now especially if De Boer continues his great work of building teams with their best academy players.

That said, if we can convince him to come here I'm all for that. De Boer is a young manager with great potential, who wants his teams to play sexy football and a classy guy. Not to mention Bergkamp will be his assistant <3
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:13 pm

Very in line with Wenger's.

De Boer, like his mentors, doesn't believe in adapting to the opponent but rather playing his own game. The aim of each game is to dominate through possession; circulation football is used as a means to not only create goalscoring opportunities but also as a defensive weapon. If you have the ball the opposition can't harm you
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:44 pm

Arsene is staying according to John Cross
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:03 am

I'm gonna make the Annual Wenger Poll thread on the night of May 17th if it's good with everyone. Best time to judge.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:08 pm

Wenger: I have given Arsenal my word I will stay

Speaking to beIN Sport, Wenger confirmed he wanted to stay in north London saying: "Look, I have said that many times already, I have given my word to this club and that I want to continue where I am."

When then asked to clarify exactly what he meant, he added: “That means to stay.”

Wenger also spoke about the life of a coach in English football following the sacking of David Moyes and insists managers are not given enough time.

"If you want quality people in any area, you should give them the time to develop and become actually good," he told L'Equipe.

"Or else, quality people will not come in the future. The average life expectancy of a coach in the Premier League is eleven months. It's very unstable."

The Arsenal boss also admitted he was surprised with the way Manchester United handled Moyes' exit, with many newspapers reporting his departure the day before it was confirmed.

"It is very surprising. In this kind of situations, you want the coach to be the first to know. Eyes in the eyes; like we are accustomed to," he added.

"It seems that it did not happen that way. Apart from the fact that he was fired, what I regret the most is that it happened despite his great experience in Premier League. He showed quality, we would have loved to see him stay longer."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2014/04/26/4776445/wenger-i-have-given-arsenal-my-word-i-will-stay?ICID=CP_94
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:23 pm

"Apart from the fact that he was fired, what I regret the most is that it happened despite his great experience in Premier League. He showed quality, we would have loved to see him stay longer."

Couldn't agree more...
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:55 pm

Wenger should be happy he is gone, maybe next manager he will get a win against. Razz 

1 point a season against United is like a trophy. :bow: 
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat May 10, 2014 9:44 pm

According to a poll by @Orbinho, 78% of Arsenal fans questioned want Wenger to stay, 13% want him gone and 9% don't mind either way.

Will have a poll of our own for this exactly a week from now.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat May 10, 2014 9:48 pm

Make sure it's a post based poll so only Arsenal fans can vote
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun May 18, 2014 10:45 pm

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger celebrates FA Cup success with new three-year contract

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/fa-cup/10839804/Arsenal-manager-Arsene-Wenger-celebrates-FA-Cup-success-with-new-three-year-contract.html
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SUPERCARTTS Mon May 19, 2014 11:07 am

£7.5m for what exactly? His salary would make sense if he was CEO of HSBC.

Mind bogglingly insane how a man who has won 1 trophy in 8 year is commanding £7.5m p/a. Yet, giving Sagna £100k is too much.
SUPERCARTTS
SUPERCARTTS
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Tue May 20, 2014 3:05 am

I dont understand... Didn't he turn down a salary increase? Yet you still complain?

His salary is completely justified considering how long he has been at the club, comparing it to the other manager salaries and considering that the level of responsibility the man has is actually parellel to many CEOs anyway.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue May 20, 2014 9:48 am

Maybe because he's qualified Arsenal for CL for 16 straight years, which is min 20 mil euros in bonuses a season, AND by intergrating so many players from different nationalities all over the word, Arsenal has become an international brand = revenues have shot through the roof. Before Wenger, Arsenal had as much brand appeal as the Spurs currently have... he's taken it to the next level.

That's why you pay people big bucks... value creation.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue May 20, 2014 10:06 am

Also, Sagna is set to make as much at City as Wenger's new contract which is just Laughing

MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue May 20, 2014 5:18 pm

MJGunner wrote:Also, Sagna is set to make as much at City as Wenger's new contract which is just Laughing

Isn't 140k a week based on appearances and wining trophies? I dont think City are going to give 140k a week right away, more like 100k a week plus bonuses.

City are getting a player for free so the wages is nothing to them. We have to buy a player for around 10m or more, and add the wages we are the losers not city imo. I dont think we can get a player as good as Sagna.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue May 20, 2014 6:03 pm

Sagna on a three year deal worth £140k as is being reported (didn't say how much were incentives) over three years means they're investing £22million in a player on the decline with no resale value. Putting it frankly.

If we sign Aurier for £8m and a 60k deal over 4 years then that's about £20million invested in a player who will be reaching his prime by the time the contract is up.

Quite a difference. If Sagna was in his mid-20s this would be a different story. But anything over 100k is difficult to put on Arsenal for not investing.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by 1991 Tue May 20, 2014 9:36 pm

We would have to replace Sagna eventually anyway.
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Wed May 21, 2014 5:50 am

I think the point is that we have a player who is playing his best football of his life and there is no reason why that wont continue for the next three years. A fullback like him can go til they're 38 no problem. We have momentum now, we want a next season to be strong, not invest in 18/19.

I suspect he would sign if we offered 120 a week. thats 18mil over 3 years. A worthwhile investment.

Looking at it from a PR perspective also - I dno about you lot but I'm pretty sick of City consistently touching us innappropriately by stealing players.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Fri May 30, 2014 12:35 pm

Just signed a new deal, now time to sign some players :coffee:
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next