RealGunner
Highburied
DuringTheWar
urbaNRoots
Arsenal4Eternity_dennab
45 posters

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

Arsene Wenger Contract Discussion Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Arsene Wenger Contract Discussion Thread

Post by 6unner Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:57 pm

Kick wrote:So would further domestic cup success be enough for Arsenal fans or does Arsenal needs to be serious PL/CL contenders to satisfy the fans?

That is a good question.
I would say that there was a time when it would have been. 18 years ago when Wenger first got to Arsenal I am sure it was. Since then the EPL, CL and football in general has become a much bigger international sensation. Even on these boards there are followers from all around the world. I would say that for supporters as a whole, "English" supporters would be a fairly small portion of the totality. They will be a small portion of merchandise sales, a small portion television revenue and a small portion of marketing dollars as a whole. For these reasons do the domestic cups of any league mean much anymore. Do not get me wrong they are always "nice to have" but from the international perspective I am not really sure that they have the same meaning. The CL title is the pinnacle, the peak of the mountain. The EPL title would be the plateau right below the mountain top. With the FA cup, CC, Community Shield and other domestic honors in the valley at the base of the mountain. The FA does not even treat it as the most important game of the day. Last year during Arsenals semi final game was a more important game in the EPL. The match between manc and liverpool. If the FA did not think of the FA Cup as a second tier domestic cup then they should not schedule any other games at the same time.
Because of this for me not being English. The domestic cups are nice to have but realistically not what I would base success on. In addition lets be honest, None of the top clubs actually start a season basing their success on domestic cups. They play most games up to the finals with squads based on subs and youth. With the perception of "if we win great if we loose who cares".

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Arsene Wenger Contract Discussion Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Arsene Wenger Contract Discussion Thread

Post by Peccadillo Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:30 am

Interesting perspective on importance of the FA cup to the international fan-base in contrast to domestic - I'm not sure I agree that should be the case if any fans "don't care" if we bow out - the FA cup has been third fiddle to the Europe and the league forever - it doesn't make it irrelevant. Most fans would sacrifice the FA cup for significant league points - ask any Wigan fan. But, the FA cup offers good leverage with bragging rights for English and non-English fans alike. Everyone's relationship with the FA cup is personal but it's wrong to dismiss it as unimportant. Its still the cup champions of the country - if that's the perception then more fuel to the argument to ditch the mickey mouse cup imo - might make the FA cup seem more relevant

Anyway, no doubt we now need to become serious title contenders again to satisfy the fans. Concessions have been made and expectations lowered during this transitional period. That's the excuse for lack of silverware and I personally buy it.

Fans get annoyed by the perception that the board just lower our expectations to fill their own pockets but I am not sure I believe it. I think expectations were managed accordingly with financial constraints imposed on the budget from the new stadium. If people want to call that an invalid excuse that's their right - but it seems reasonable to me.

It's not just about our internal constraints, people also forget that the decision to move to the emirates was made before Roman suddenly thrust Chelsea into title contention (then later, City). This was probably unforeseeable as the decision to move was made before 2003.. this new found competition of course made it even more difficult to compete for titles - it was no longer about Utd and Liverpool. Suddenly the demand for quality players outweighed the supply and Arsenal were no longer the second most desirable club to sign for in the EPL.

The long-term plan has ultimately been successful - the one criticism that can be levelled on Wenger and the board in my opinion was to not make the decision to scrap the equitable wage structure a long time ago, may have helped discourage key players to leave, season after season.

I'm going off topic. Basically I think going forward, domestic cup success alone is insufficient, had we achieved domestic cup success as well as top four finishes over the past 10 years, reasonable fans would have been a great deal more satisfied with that.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by RedMamba Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:33 am

its so obvious wenger needs to do the right thing and resign at the end of this year, no matter the standing at the end of the season. He seems lost out there. While his methods were revolutionary in late nineties, they are outdated now. And while there are examples of clubs falling off due to managarial changes, there are even more examples of young and ambitious managers with new methods and ideas achieving consistent success in terms of style and substance with less resources.

Change is inevitable and necessary, there is no need to delay it, the sooner the club moves on and find out what lies post wenger, the better. The club is in good shape financially thanks to wenger but if he himself cannot take advantage of it, its solely his fault. No one can tarnish his legacy, the club need not be sentimental, thats how football is and should be.
RedMamba
RedMamba
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:51 am

"no matter the standing"

I think the standing matters quite a bit. If it were first for example then I'd be stunned that people were still calling for his head.

That's when you know that people aren't as interested in Arsenal's success as they are seeing Wenger out, just because it would mean him being at the helm for it.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Nedved Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:56 pm

I had great respect for the french man. Last season start was really promising. I thought he would build on it this season. Unfortunately he is putting less time in finding ways on beating the top 4 and more on giving excuses and explanations. For the manager of Arsenal giving excuses like money for not able to beat Top 4 teams is pretty much like he is resigned to lose before playing. To makes things worse, It seems very easy to get under his skin. He is still sulking about the Jose push incident. For a manger of his experience he could have handled it better.

If I were the owners I would more worried about his attitude in general than the results itself. I would rather have a pragmatic manger who adapts to the opposition and build the team around the style over years. Wenger was supposed to this and he failed.
Nedved
Nedved
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by 1991 Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:23 pm

Wenger is a disgrace of a "professional" manager. Absolute amateur.

The buck stops with him. Out of the title race in October.

Only came alive after equalizing in the last minute - that's a managerial motivation issue.

Podolski not even making the squad but soaking up £100k a week in wages.

Threadbare squad exposed because of awful transfer dealings.

The time for niceties have expired. He needs to go.
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:03 pm

Dark days are coming.
If Wenger were to leave or stay now I think he and the board have made decisions that will insure it. Finding a top manager that would want to come in and take over now will be hard. Not sure that anyone would want to take this team over without a major overhaul. Too many average players and complete lack of balance.
Just flat not enough quality.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:33 pm

I don't agree that we lack quality. There is certainly enough quality there to be beating the likes of Leicester, Spurs and Hull. If we had won those three, we'd have 17 points from 24, which would've been a good start. We'd pretty much be in the same position we were last season.

11 points out of 24 is a crap return, by all accounts. Not winning our next two games - Sunderland and Burnley - should leave Wenger in a perilous position as far his job security goes, but it won't. He'll be given all the time he wants until he decides to call it quits.

Football can change quickly and putting together a few wins will make the situation look a lot healthier. Obviously, I hope we turn this around, but things can't continue like this.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:26 pm

4th spot at best this season … Wenger time is over. It would be embarrassing for EPL if we make top 4 again.

Wenger will never leave us, the least we could hope for is only 3 years of blind man leading Arsenal. Every match gets outplayed by every single manager, must feel good about his 10mil a year.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:21 pm

As much as we're struggling, these things can happen to any manager that does not have a complete squad - look at how awful Dortmund is right now domestically under Klopp with all of their injuries. What I blame Arsene for is not recruiting enough in the summer though. Same old Arsene, same old Arsenal.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:32 pm

So...we might offer him a 2 year extension soon
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:59 pm

Hopefully it's true.

A legend of the game that doesn't deserve the treatment he's been getting.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:01 am

http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/Smileys/default/tqHARym.png
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:44 am

Should wait until the end of season.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:00 am

urbaNRoots wrote:Should wait until the end of season.
Would still want him gone. Unless he wins a treble, but who are we kidding.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:31 am

once again, wait til March
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:11 pm

would prefer One year extension and assess our options each summer
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:19 pm

That would be an unstable solution. Too much uncertainty, also for players and backroom staff.

The manager is not just one person, but has an entire ecosystem of staff around him.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:31 pm

well not for every year tbh

hopefully one top manager becomes available in 2018
then you wouldn't want to miss out bcos Wenger still got a year left on his contract

Not that i trust our board anyway
need to dodge that bullet with Eddie Howe first
which is why I'm OK with extending Arsene's deal for now
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:07 pm

Yea agreed with Sina here

Let's see where we end up after this season and assess our options.

Tuchel still my favourite to replace Arsene
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:19 pm

The impression I'm getting is that Wenger will do what he did in 2014 and wait until the end of the season to renew - if he feels like he can keep going.

Arsenal of course will offer him an extension regardless.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:20 pm

Would like to have Tuchel too!

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:49 pm

You can't have him.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:36 pm

Already have him at BVB. :coffee:

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:47 pm

Sri wrote:Already have him at BVB. :coffee:

You're an Arsenal fan.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:58 pm

MJ wrote:
Sri wrote:Already have him at BVB. :coffee:

You're an Arsenal fan.

I have an identity crisis duplicity. hmm

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next