Arsene Wenger Contract Discussion Thread

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Arsene Wenger Contract Discussion Thread

Post by urbaNRoots on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:52 am

Arsenal start planning for Arsene Wenger's exit as he prepares to sign just a two-year contract

By John Cross

The 64-year-old is understood to have agreed a fresh deal in principle, but it could be for less than the originally planned three seasons.

Mirror Sport understands manager Wenger has agreed the deal in principle and is preparing for next season by discussing transfer targets, improvements at the training ground and player contracts.

But intriguingly, the Frenchman's fresh pact with the Gunners he has managed since 1996 could be for only two years rather than the original idea of three, as Wenger knows the pressure is mounting on him from fans to win silverware.

Those two years would also give Arsenal time to line up potential replacements with Borussia Dortmund’s Jurgen Klopp, Pep Guardiola of Bayern Munich, Liverpool's Brendan Rodgers, Everton boss Roberto Martinez and Wenger's current No2 Steve Bould likely to be on their list.

However, suggestions circulating after Saturday’s humiliating defeat at Chelsea that Wenger is set to move on at the end of the season look premature.

The 64-year-old has made it clear that he wants to stay, could eventually move upstairs in some capacity and is likely to be asked for his input when it comes to choosing his successor.

However, while the club has to face up to life post-Wenger one day, the hierarchy's hope is that he wins more silverware and could yet further extend his stay.

The feeling at boardroom level is also that, having seen the problems David Moyes has had succeeding Sir Alex Ferguson after his 26 years as Manchester United boss, it will be very difficult to replace Wenger.

Two years sounds about right. After all he's been through the last few years, he deserves a chance to build a team without financial restrictions. But if we don't win the FA Cup AND finish in CL places, Wenger is going to step down by himself in my opinion.

urbaNRoots
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:01 am

@Hapless_Hans wrote:basically agree, except I don't get what you mean with 'the fans moaning is literally the only thing riding against us', and injuries.

Surely you're not suggesting the attitude of fans has an influence on how good your team plays?

And injuries alone doesn't suffice aas an excuse, never has and never will.

By 'step it up' I mean you need to get real about getting a top striker, plus one or two further enforcements.

Just hoping luck will be on your side, and injuries will not occur, isn't enough.

The pressure of the fans on the manager in the broad scale, not in the game to game scale. If it continues this way it doesn't seem like even a trophy would shut them up.

Are you serious, of course injuries are an excuse. If our physios are that bad that our injury list mounts up to this ridiculous number then something has to change because it affects us massively. If we still had Walcott and Ramsey for the majority of the season I'd comfortably say we'd be top.

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:03 am

I think it'll take a massive amount of choking to finish outside of top 4. Not winning the FA Cup is a bit easier but still. Hope our doubts are misplaced.

Two years is good. Win some trophies during that time, sign some WC players and he could stay further.

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:07 am

yes well but that's what I meant with 'excuse'.

It's not enough to say we've got many many injuries let's hope it's not like that in the future, but you have to say 'is there a way SOME of the injury crisis could be avoided', for example by giving players like Ramsey and Özil a rest once in a while, which leads also to trusting your squad depth more.
Or if you don't trust it, do something about it.
Or like, you know, not getting a sole player in winter that's injured and unusable himself.

Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ on Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:23 am

Just said "then something has to change". I put the blame on Arsenal itself so that I don't sound like I'm attributing it to bad luck. It's to do with rotation, training methods and perhaps the medical staff themselves. Somethings needs to change, Wenger said it himself.

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:58 pm

@EL Patron wrote:The question is will he actually step it up ?.There is a sense of dejavu here. If you look back in the past seasons where we have challenged for the title you will see that we have always been one or two players away from being a title winning team but he has never gone into the market and done something about it.

There were seasons where a goalie or a striker or a defender would have certainly made a difference but he never did it anything about it. I hope he has learnt from the past title challenge failures and actually does something about it this time.

Next year every team above us and including United will get stronger and I just cant see us competing with them. Wenger has not changed, I dont think he will outbid any team for top players. He still is stressing over Ozil money. Very Happy 

But thats not the problem, he must change his tactics and give players rest. Wenger is too afraid to change, and his ego is bigger than life.

I think 2 years is a good enouph and he will be at age where he could take backroom job at Arsenal.

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:02 pm

What I fear is that we will not be proactive again but now with another excuse: World Cup.
urbaNRoots
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:12 pm

Arsenal needs David dean, we have won nothing since Dein left, Wenger can stay another 100 years but with out help it will be the same shit every year.

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:14 pm

@urbaNRoots wrote:What I fear is that we will not be proactive again but now with another excuse: World Cup.

Salomon kalou in dead line day rejected us, I am sure he will be another top player Arsenal will go back for. Laughing :facepalm:

Wenger to change? i doubt! he is too stubborn, The last 9 years have been about making money, why change now? Laughing

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:29 pm

MJGunner wrote:Just said "then something has to change". I put the blame on Arsenal itself so that I don't sound like I'm attributing it to bad luck. It's to do with rotation, training methods and perhaps the medical staff themselves. Somethings needs to change, Wenger said it himself.

Yeah I guess we agreed all along. Of course, you can't avoid all injuries. Walcotts, Wilsheres are tough luck, but this stuff happens.
If even after you ruled out/adapted all self-made reasons for extra injuries, like you name, in the end you need enough top class players to deal with a certain extent of injuries even to key players without collapsing.
You did that fairly well though, however against top opposition you might be just a little short on quality, and without Ramsey, Wilshere, Walcott and Özil the air gets too thin for top games.
But also, and especially, upfront, and that's not even an injury issue.

Maybe if Wenger has 2 years and that's it, that visibly approaching deadline will change that 'we can deal with it next year/ long term' focus of his.
Maybe a voice in him will say, I want to win the league finally, even if that takes throwing some money at it.

Last edited by Hapless_Hans on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:29 pm

MJGunner wrote:Just said "then something has to change". I put the blame on Arsenal itself so that I don't sound like I'm attributing it to bad luck. It's to do with rotation, training methods and perhaps the medical staff themselves. Somethings needs to change, Wenger said it himself.

Injuries have played a big part to our downfall, but that doesn’t hide the fact that there's something wrong with the mentality of the team when it comes to winning important games.

Wenger must revert to his original tactics. Invincibles had strength, pace and technical ability. All he has to do is to watch some old videos and put the pieces together.

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:57 pm

I cant believe he thinks it was an accident. rofl  rofl 

Any driver who gets as many as accidnets as Arsenal would never drive or get insurance again. rofl 

Wenger "An accident has happened, that doesn't mean that you're not a good driver," he told Arsenal Player.

"It just means that we have played about 40 games this season and it's not what happened on Saturday that reflects the quality of this team. We have 62 points that we earned hard with quality games and that's what we want to focus on, to get back to that quality. We go back to basics.

"Of course you need to analyse as well the fact that we were down to 10 men [at Chelsea] and the offensive quality of Chelsea on the counter-attack is very good.

"You have to put that into perspective, we just came out of two convincing results at Bayern Munich and at Tottenham with a very solid defensive performance so you have to think that [Chelsea] was an accident.

"How do you deal with the accident? You repair them, you repair the damage and you go for the next one. The response has always been very strong and I'm convinced it will be again on Tuesday."

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:18 pm

also, the performance against us might have been convincing, although that is very debatable too, but the result surely was not?

Plus already against Spurs everyone bar Merte and Kosc played like shit, and then against a quality attack like Chelsea the best central defense is helpless if overrun repeatedly.

I sincerely hope what he's telling the public is not what he's telling himself.

Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:36 pm

He calls it an accident there, but immediately after the match he referenced that the same thing happened at Liverpool, so clearly it can't be an accident.

In any case, I'm certain he doesn't actually believe what he's saying, otherwise he wouldn't have held "crisis talks" with the players after the game. He knows there's a problem and isn't just sitting there ignorantly like some seem to think he is.

A bigger issue might be that he may not know have to solve the problem.
Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:44 pm

I don't believe that either for a second. That's just PR to keep the journos at arm's length.

Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:00 pm

Wenger's too smart to believe that we've suffered three massive 'accidents' in the same season, each one worse than the last.

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:19 pm

I don't think he gets the credit he deserves. All the frustration from the last several years is put solely on his shoulders, when mainly he wasn't to blame.

Since 07 08 he's created 3 potential title winning teams on shoestring budget (yes he had money to spend but it was not enough compared with what our rivals offered). Each one of the first two teams fell apart because of disloyal players jumping ship, leaving wenger to pick up the pieces and build a new ship made from cheap materials

First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:24 pm

If we had Koscielny in that 09/10 team...

RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots on Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:02 am

From me he gets the credit he deserves for carrying us during a difficult period when could've jumped ship long ago. Thank him and Gazidis, now we're able to sign world class players who can come and have an immediate impact here.

All he has to do now is build a squad that wins us the league with the funds he has available. Is he capable though? I'm really starting to doubt it, especially after what happened in the summer and this season. This was the best chance to win the league in years, having all the funds he needed, Man Utd's decline, Man City's and Chelsea's transition period but he properly bottled it. Is there a reason why he won't bottle it again next season? It's the same situation as last summer, except that there's no world class forward available now.
urbaNRoots
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism on Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:14 am

To think we let Higuain off last summer  Crying or Very sad  we are suffering its ramification right now but come this summer, it will go off full blow when every so called world class striker price tag will skyrocket thanks to WC. I absolutely hate transfer during WC year, most of the time clubs have to purchase at inflated price.

We're finally be able to spend some money on "good to word class" players but so are our rivals in the league. Chelsea and City will always have 1st dip on word class players if they want to, then come Pool, MU and Spurs.

We used to overcome those deficits by being better at playing football (remember we used to dominate big teams during Cesc era and lost for no reason to lesser ones), now we're opposite. I love an ideal man but unless u having the best of the best players like Bayer lol Pep, coaches need have more pragmatic approach nowadays. Look at Tata and Klopp now, they all need to adjust, tweak it up, game by game.

I don't want to criticize our transfer since this is the 1st year Wenger has some money to spend but I do about his tactics & approaches in big game, those are the ones which decide who will win in the end.
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:26 am

He had one summer window and a massive injury list. I think he deserves just a bit more given how much he's given up for this club.

Would have been so much easier for him to join Bayern, Real, PSG, France or whoever else wanted him after he built the Emirates.

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Artilleristen on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:41 am

MJGunner wrote:He had one summer window and a massive injury list. I think he deserves just a bit more given how much he's given up for this club.

Would have been so much easier for him to join Bayern, Real, PSG, France or whoever else wanted him after he built the Emirates.
Trophy-less for so many years, why give him more time to bring the team down, we need change
Artilleristen
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:37 am

@Artilleristen wrote:
MJGunner wrote:He had one summer window and a massive injury list. I think he deserves just a bit more given how much he's given up for this club.

Trophy-less for so many years, why give him more time to bring the team down, we need change

Did he have the funds to compete with oil money and teams that have no respect for FFP?

Look, I'm not saying the man is faultless but everyone in world football respects what he's done with our recent budget. Why would the likes of France, Bayern, Real, PSG be constantly knocking on his door for his services if it was all about trophies? He kept us competitive when it could have been that we'd completely drop off of the face of the planet.

That's a simple fact, if our fans have been so blinded by the concept of trophies being all that matters then I understand the shortsightedness. Trophies are most important but if it's put into perspective you'll see that the factors that have contributed to this drought really should have damaged us more. They would have had Wenger left.

Things need to change, that's a given. But that doesn't mean starting from scratch, Wenger was patient with Arsenal over the past 8 years and he's shouldered all of the blame. I can't believe the fans don't have just a little bit more patience for him. If we don't win the FA Cup and at least finish top 4 then I'll understand if he goes. But if we do achieve those things it'll be very hard to argue that he doesn't deserve at least one more chance in the market.

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner on Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:53 pm

Wenger.

1.Wasting time in the transfer market, proactive teams start negotiating early, look at Chelsea going for Diego Costa, and Barcelona for Halilovic.

2. Wenger is a cheap man, many players will turn us down because they know he controls everything.

3. Keep playing players out of position, never learns.

4. Too ego-centric to adapt to modern day football.

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ on Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:59 pm

terrible post mate.

How can you judge him on the upcoming market window when it hasn't even opened yet?

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:01 pm

This being his first year where he's had money to spend is a myth. Funds were available the previous summer, albeit not as much as what he had the summer just gone. Nonetheless, last summer was not the first opportunity for major spending.

It doesn't just come down money either. It's also down to planning. Last summer was a mess, with a lot of wasted time on Suarez and a failure to sign any sort of striker. The summer before he failed to replace Song, who he sold late on in the window, and van Persie. 2012 was a disaster, with long running Cesc and Nasri sagas and a mad shopping spree in the final week. Then there's the January windows, which we never take advantage of.

So I don't think the mistrust is unfair here. People have doubts because they're let down time and again.
Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top