Arsene Wenger Contract Discussion Thread

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Arsene Wenger Contract Discussion Thread

Post by Jay29 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:01 pm

This being his first year where he's had money to spend is a myth. Funds were available the previous summer, albeit not as much as what he had the summer just gone. Nonetheless, last summer was not the first opportunity for major spending.

It doesn't just come down money either. It's also down to planning. Last summer was a mess, with a lot of wasted time on Suarez and a failure to sign any sort of striker. The summer before he failed to replace Song, who he sold late on in the window, and van Persie. 2012 was a disaster, with long running Cesc and Nasri sagas and a mad shopping spree in the final week. Then there's the January windows, which we never take advantage of.

So I don't think the mistrust is unfair here. People have doubts because they're let down time and again.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:12 pm

I would just explore some of the points Benry mentioned before.

I think the club needs to hire David Dein again or get someone who acts as a Director of football and his role would majorly be about signing players. Someone who sits with Arsene and make a proper plan with signings shortlisted and the backup signings already decided.

If the money is there, then Arsene shouldn't be asked to negotiate from 30m to 20m. What Arsene needs to do is just tell who he wants and the Guy gets him that player. Like it used to be before Dein left.

Jay is right that our lack of planning has been appalling. I don't think we ever replaced Gilberto Silva nevermind Song. Last summer was probbaly the worst summer in the last 5 years till we signed Ozil.

I heard this statement on twitter and i'll repeat it here

"Change in the Arsenal manager, not change the arsenal manager" is what's required. At least for the next season or two.
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:29 pm

In an ideal world, it would be that Wenger changes, but I can understand the view that he's too ingrained in his ways to do so as well. Right now, when things change for the bette, such as the lean towards more experienced players, or the improved defence for example, he balances it out by reverting back into old habits, like overplaying players and not rotating enough. This isn't the first time we've wanted Wenger to change.
Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:51 pm

Suarez was a massive cock up from the club with the 40m + 1 bid. Dein would be useful to have back.

I still wouldn't have paid what Napoli did for Higuain. He's class but in an ideal world you only pay that much for Suarez-caliber which we tried to.

We haven't had the commercial deals coming in that we have this summer, our kit deal has increased fourfold not to mention the renewed Emirates deal, TV deals etc. I don't think it's right to indicate that we haven't been building our budget steadily and that we've always had the kind of money we're gonna have this summer.

Not signing a striker was always a shortcoming of Wenger's these past two windows but that's my point. The deals have been announced this last summer and some will come into effect in the upcoming one. That means it's two windows.

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:28 pm

really don't understand AT ALL why you didn't get Gustavo.

He was there for the taking, 16, 17m pounds but obviously you didn't rate him that highly or valuably. Which is kind of laughable really, for an Brazilian Selecao starter who just won a treble.

World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Bayern Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:51 pm

Just one of many players Wenger didn't buy due to money, Hans. Wolfsburg were prepared to offer the big wages, we, or Wenger, wasn't. Although if I remember right, Gustavo wasn't keen on leaving Germany, so that probably played a part in it, too.

Still, the money we had meant that we could have signed a better defensive midfielder than Arteta, but we went for Flamini instead. I like Flamini and think he's a good player to have, but he's a limited player that only takes you so far.
Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:29 pm

@RealGunner wrote:
Jay is right that our lack of planning has been appalling. I don't think we ever replaced Gilberto Silva nevermind Song. Last summer was probbaly the worst summer in the last 5 years till we signed Ozil. .

No but the team had a good balance in 07 08 with flamini cesc rosicky and hleb. I don't think we missed Gilberto then, but then flamini left. Then we had denilson and had to wait for song to develop. Then for some reason song turned into a box to box midfielder

First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:49 pm

Luiz Gustavo would have been such a good signing.

Gustavo + Higuain ...  Crying or Very sad 

I still can't think of Gilberto Silva, too, without regret that he was sold. I really would have liked to see him stay on and be captain for a couple seasons.

It would only be fair to point out that Wenger has taken advantage of January windows before ... he brought in Arshavin, for example. Nevermind that Arshavin left ultimately as an underwhelming signing who never fully lived up to his potential. The fanfare in those early months was huge, though, and at first looked pretty well-deserved. He seemed like a great signing. Monreal was a pretty shrewd January acquisition too, and one that had been lined up for that summer anyway if I recall - which indicates that there is at least some planning going on. (I know that after a poor run of form it's been easy to dismiss Nacho, but for most of his short Arsenal career thus far he's done a very reliable, professional job as a rotation player.)

When you look at what Liverpool have gone through in recent years, and what Man Utd are going through now, only a fool would totally dismiss Wenger's consistency. There's a reason why he's so respected in the football world, and why if he left Arsenal, plenty of other clubs (and nations) would love to have him. I doubt any better figure exists to have taken Arsenal through the last decade. At the same time, we've been left in the lurch a few too many times by the lack of planning and lack of endgame with transfers, especially big transfers. I agree with sentiments above: a Dein figure who can help make things happen on transfer/financial end.
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner on Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:03 am

He is staying? Neutral   :facepalm: ? cheers ? hmm 
Arsene Wenger insists he will not follow former rival Sir Alex Ferguson by nominating who should take over from him as Arsenal manager.

The Gunners boss, 64, has yet to sign the offer of a new contract extension past the end of the season, but having just completed 1,000 matches in charge is expected to stay on at the Emirates Stadium.

The Arsenal board is said to be acutely aware of the difficulties it could face when eventually having to replace the Frenchman, with the on-going issues for Manchester United manager David Moyes after following in the footsteps of Ferguson all too poignant.

"I always said, and you can check that, everybody has his job (at the club). My job is to do well for the team, not to do anything else," he said.

Asked if he would be choosing his successor, Wenger insisted: "No."

Arsenal remain relaxed about the on-going saga over Wenger's future, comfortable he will commit for next season, with plans already in place for a July friendly in New York.

"My word is my word," said Wenger. Asked if that meant he would definitely be staying on next season, he added: "Yes - unless I decide otherwise.

"I have told you many times we have had no time to sit down and do it.

"(I am) not going anywhere, don't worry for that, but I want to have a feeling coming out of the season that I have done the maximum for the club."

Wenger suggested he would reflect on the merits of any success once the final whistle for the 2013/14 campaign is blown.

"Let's first see when the season is over," he said. "If you look back for one year, would you have done something different? If you say to me 'no', I say 'this guy is a complete lunatic'.

"It is not only linked with the result. It is linked with the situations you have dealt with - have you done well or not?

"Do you ask me 'have I made zero mistakes in the last year?' I am not stupid enough to say 'yes'."

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:12 am

He will stay if we win the FA cup. He will leave if we don't. IMO
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:50 am

There are people who wants him out but is there any better manager out there who is available? I too am frustrated with the lack of trophies but i dont know if there is anyone who can do better job than him atm. I would give him another season and if things doesnt change then yes we need to bring someonelse.

Wenger has been in arsenal for long time and anyone who replaces him has to be someone better, as good as him. I dont want to see Arsenal suffer like utd did this season.

First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism on Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:52 am

@RealGunner wrote:He will stay if we win the FA cup. He will leave if we don't. IMO

This

As a proud man, he will leave on his own if we don't win it so no point in talking about sacking him.
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Artilleristen on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:32 am

MJGunner wrote:
@Artilleristen wrote:
MJGunner wrote:He had one summer window and a massive injury list. I think he deserves just a bit more given how much he's given up for this club.

Would have been so much easier for him to join Bayern, Real, PSG, France or whoever else wanted him after he built the Emirates.
Trophy-less for so many years, why give him more time to bring the team down, we need change

Did he have the funds to compete with oil money and teams that have no respect for FFP?

Look, I'm not saying the man is faultless but everyone in world football respects what he's done with our recent budget. Why would the likes of France, Bayern, Real, PSG be constantly knocking on his door for his services if it was all about trophies? He kept us competitive when it could have been that we'd completely drop off of the face of the planet.

That's a simple fact, if our fans have been so blinded by the concept of trophies being all that matters then I understand the shortsightedness. Trophies are most important but if it's put into perspective you'll see that the factors that have contributed to this drought really should have damaged us more. They would have had Wenger left.

Things need to change, that's a given. But that doesn't mean starting from scratch, Wenger was patient with Arsenal over the past 8 years and he's shouldered all of the blame. I can't believe the fans don't have just a little bit more patience for him. If we don't win the FA Cup and at least finish top 4 then I'll understand if he goes. But if we do achieve those things it'll be very hard to argue that he doesn't deserve at least one more chance in the market.
Anyone could see that we had the funds available this summer, and he brought in one player with it, when we needed at least 3, he places his trust in players below the Arsenal standard to play out of their mind in every game, which is impossible, and if the club was so bad off financially why did we sell our best players for below market value during that time period?
He was once great, I just believe that the tactics of the game are beyond him, and he chokes at brining in the necessary talent to win.

Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ on Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:01 pm

Bunkum.

We were doing fine with all the players we signed, it was keeping them fit that was his mistake. We were top for so long and I believe if he had rotated better we'd be near or on top.

But no one is denying we had funds this past summer. I'm saying given how much he's endured for this club during the financial drought, he's allotted one or two windows with real funds? That's it?

If we don't win the FA Cup he'll leave, that's what he hinted at.

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Artilleristen on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:31 pm

MJGunner wrote:Bunkum.

We were doing fine with all the players we signed, it was keeping them fit that was his mistake. We were top for so long and I believe if he had rotated better we'd be near or on top.

But no one is denying we had funds this past summer. I'm saying given how much he's endured for this club during the financial drought, he's allotted one or two windows with real funds? That's it?

If we don't win the FA Cup he'll leave, that's what he hinted at.
Signing just Ozil was dumb, signings like Arteta were idiotic, and now that we have two healthy first team strikers, in bendtner and giroud he still refuses to rotate players, its past him tactically why the hell would he want to come back with the level of embarrassment he has brought to the fans with crummy tactics in two huge losses is ridiculouis, no top team would keep a coach that gives up that many goals

Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:00 pm

Every year we always sit back at this time and every year we hear similar stories.
Just give him another year.
We had injuries give him another year.
We had no money give him another year.
This transfer window will be different give him another year.
Those traitorous players sowed their disloyalty and left. So we will give him another year.

Realistically though, Over the past 5 or 6 years Both Wenger and the board have come out and said we had money available. Wenger chose not to invest because he could not find anyone in the market that could actually help us improve. He showed no ambition. Since we did not show any ambition to win anything other than the AFC 4th place trophy. Since we showed no ambition to win silverware or really invest in the club to win. We ran into a time when our best players decided that if they wanted to win silverware they needed to leave. When they did decide to leave, yes we did sell some of them below market value and / or to our main rivals. Did we even reinvest with similar quality? NO we got the cheap alternative or premature faith placed on youth.

In some ways Arsenal fans are very similar to battered spouses or families of alcoholics. We all know that there is something wrong and that something big needs to change. It is just that circumstances will always change, it is not that persons fault. The litany of excuses can proceed.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:47 pm

It's predictable what will happen in the summer, Wenger will pass on Costa because he's too expensive and will wait for Benzema to become available until he signs a new contract which is when Arsene will move for someone really average like Jackson Martinez, Benteke or that donkey Mandzukic. By then it'll be deadline day and too late to make other moves for other positions and the excuse for that will be the World Cup. Same shit as last season with different excuses. I'll be amazed if we go in a summer prepared from the beginning.

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:11 pm

Vieira as our next manager?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/france-want-arsenals-arsene-wenger-3300487
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina on Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:30 pm

Sunday people with their weekly Speculative BS tbh

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
Spoiler:
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:44 pm

But how do you guys like that idea?

RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots on Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:12 am

Klopp and Martinez are plan B/C after Vieira? Laughing

Can't say much about Vieira as manager, as I haven't seen him any of his teams so far and he's far too inexperienced for the job. We saw what kind of a manager Roy Keane turned out to be but then Atletico's Simeone is a counter argument. Could go either way.

World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:23 am

Gonna get laughed at but Wengers successor should be Derek McInnes.

Young adventurous manager. Totally passionate, extremely dedicated, the players love him. Knows the teams weaknesses in and out. His tactical adjustments have been top notch. Plays aggressive, attacking football, and ironically, I'd say similar style of play to Arsenal, albeit more direct.. But still.

He has done wonders in the transfer market with absolutely ridiculously limited funds.

And there's been a pretty decent history of aberdeen managers moving to the Prem  smoking 

Would hate to see him leave the dons he's done so much for the spl but I think it's only a matter of time before he gets picked up by another team

First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:21 pm

I get this weired feeling that Arsene wont extend with us and this could be his last season. I hope he signs new contract.

First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum on Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:53 pm

I would prefer Wenger stay, and I'll echo the sentiment that I'd like to see some positive change in the manager before I see a change of manager.

That said, whenever Wenger goes, this summer or several years from now ... I hope he's able to leave on a high, with a trophy or two recently won.
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ on Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:13 pm

He's indicated he's keen to stay but has also given a cautious message that it'll only be talked about at the end of the season. If we do better in the league, actually challenging which obviously means finishing top 4 and winning the FA Cup he'll stay.

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism on Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:32 pm

@urbaNRoots wrote:Klopp and Martinez are plan B/C after Vieira? Laughing

Can't say much about Vieira as manager, as I haven't seen him any of his teams so far and he's far too inexperienced for the job. We saw what kind of a manager Roy Keane turned out to be but then Atletico's Simeone is a counter argument. Could go either way.

After what he did for City and the things he said about us while working there, I would take Remi Garde before him
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top