DuringTheWar
M99
BarrileteCosmico
RealGunner
guest_07
17 posters

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Juan Roman Riquelme: on & off the pitch - Page 8 Empty Re: Juan Roman Riquelme: on & off the pitch

Post by guest_07 Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:12 pm

maradona's wish:

If I had money, I would ask Riquelme to return – Maradona

Jul 20, 2016 19:28:09
The 38-year-old playmaker may have retired at the start of last year, but his fellow Boca Juniors legend would love to see him on the pitch again

Diego Maradona would love to see former Argentina international and Boca Juniors great Juan Roman Riquelme back at the club.

Riquelme, 38, retired in January 2015 after 51 appearances for the national team and having starred for Boca, Barcelona and Villarreal throughout his career.

However, Argentina great Maradona said Boca – eliminated in the Copa Libertadores semi-finals – should consider making a move for the talented attacking midfielder.

"If I had money, I would ask Riquelme to return," Maradona said in an interview with Fox Sports.

Riquelme was a four-time Argentine Footballer of the Year, while he won Olympic gold in 2008.

He won numerous league titles with Boca, as well as three Copa Libertadores crowns.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Juan Roman Riquelme: on & off the pitch - Page 8 Empty Re: Juan Roman Riquelme: on & off the pitch

Post by guest_07 Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:02 am

BY FANTASISTA10  TALKING 10S
MARCH 26, 2015
RECITING RIQUELME
Argentina number 10

The enigmatic and enormously gifted Juan Roman Riquelme retired from football earlier this year, and whilst his on-field craft and guile will be missed by fans around the world, they’ll endure long in the memory.

As well as leaving a vast array of unique skill and trickery to admire and attempt, the former Argentina, Boca Juniors and Villarreal star also left us with some wonderfully beautiful words ‘on the record’ to recall and recite.

Here’s 10 (naturally) of the best…

1) In 2009, on his unique contract with the club, which saw him play unpaid for 12 months:

I love Boca. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t be working here for free. I’m the only idiot who works for free, so I don’t think anyone can come and lecture me about my responsibilities.

2) On his relationship with his father:

My father never thinks I play well! With him there’s always something wrong. Even if the press say I had a good game, he’ll come along and remind of all the passes I misplaced. He always has high expectations of me, but I think that’s good. It stops me resting on my laurels.

3) On Colombian defender Mario Yepes, the victim of an outrageous Riquelme nutmeg when Boca Juniors met River Plate in the Copa Libertadores quarter-final in 2000:

I’ve always said that Yepes comes out of that move better than I do. It’s a clásico, we’re 3-0 up and then I go and do that. Any other player would have booted me but he tracked me all the way to the corner and didn’t do anything. I think that’s more manly than pulling off a nutmeg in a game like that.

4) In answer to why he discounts Sunday – a match-day – as a working day:

I always say football is my job from Monday to Saturday. On Sundays I can’t call it a job because playing the match is the most lovely thing for a player.

5) Speaking on his difficult Barcelona days when Louis van Gaal was his coach:

Van Gaal told me I was the best in the world when we had the ball and when we didn’t it was like playing with a man less. He explained to me that he hadn’t been convinced about signing me, but I learnt a lot, his training sessions were marvellous.

6) On former Boca Juniors coach Julio Falcioni, after leaving the club:

I’m over 30 and I didn’t need a coach. There was nothing Falcioni could teach me. What was he going to show me? How to keep goal?

7) In 2006, on his character on the pitch and confirming who he feels was ‘the greatest’ during that time:

Everyone feels the game in their own different way. People say I never smile when I play but I’ve never seen [Zinedine] Zidane laugh, whether he’s winning or losing, and he’s the greatest there’s been for the last 10 years.

Cool Riquelme in an interview with FIFA.com on his admiration forthe way Andres Iniesta plays the game:

The one who plays this game the best is Iniesta: he knows exactly when to go forward and when to drop back. He picks the right moment to do everything: when to dribble, when to speed things up and when to slow things down. And I think that’s the only thing that can’t be taught or bought. You can learn how to shoot and how to control the ball, but being aware of everything that’s happening out on the pitch – that’s something you’re either born with or you’re not.

9) On his special relationship the ball:

The ball has given me everything. Just like little girls love dolls, the best toy I’ve ever had, or could ever have, is a football. The person who invented it is a true hero: nobody can top that.

10) Bidding a final farewell to Boca Juniors after their defeat to Corinthians in the Copa Libertadores 2012 final:

I’m quitting now. I love this club, I love the fans and I’ll always be grateful because I am, and will always be, a Boca fan. I feel empty now though.

the source:

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:29 am

A journalist and River Plate fanatic Javier Garcia wrote in a letter addressed to Roman:

For Roman;

Relief. This is the first feeling I felt when I heard the news of your departure from Boca. I am a fanatic of River, like you you're in Boca. Your time of glory and triumph coincided with the stage of ostracism and forfeiture River. How do you that I am not relieved?

Then we can talk about you as a football player. Do you know how many times I have dealt with you "pecho frio" (sissy, note)? Tristelme? Freezelme and other nicknames born footballing rivalry? Can you blame me? I do not believe.

Yesterday you had said to the press and Mundo Boca "I was born and I will die bostero bostero". Well I was born gallina (chicken, derogatory nickname River) and I'll die gallina. I have in my DNA. I thought this was also the genetic heritage of not appreciate you. In reality, it is a consequence of my love for this shirt to red tape. You always, always played well against us, you were marking, was making decisive passes or pulled on free kicks. You and your "friends", Palermo and Guillermo. You three, you represent to me that that Boca won everything.

But with you, Roman, something different happened. I insulted you up no end when you gave up to the national team because of your mom (fallen ill after insulting her son, ed.) You gave me an excuse to say, "You see, it's that big? How can you give up the national team! ". You did it a second time when the only player taller than you (Maradona) have criticized you on TV and you're gone again. I've still criticized. "How can you let go of the selection twice! ". I also made fun of you when you are hurting you all the time and when you asked for the change after 5 minutes during a Superclasico. That day, I cried like a freak from the stands of San Martin Monumental "This shit is over, Riquelme has crapped on it."

What is good in football is that the wheel turns and we can accept mistakes. You leave Boca does not please me, but it comforts me. And though I have this feeling it's because, no doubt, you were great. If for fans of Boca, thy name is synonymous with greatness and success, for me it is synonymous with football martyr. I saw you score many goals, I've also seen leaving my conquered stage. I am self-imposed do not appreciate you. How could I, myself, enjoy a Boca idol? But I could not ignore you either. You're too big to go unnoticed for a person who loves football. So I had to content myself with the third option: I've cursed. I lived all your years to Boca with this indescribable feeling that xeneize victory was possible at any time, place, circumstance as long as the number 10 was Juan Roman Riquelme. It has often been the case. I am a journalist in addition to being for River. I do not commune with those who brought you to the rank of God. For me, no player deserves such treatment even if I was tempted to do with Ortega, Enzo (Francescoli, note) and even Trezeguet. But I understand those who do. Immediately, I ask myself, "What if you had played at River? ". I probably love you and I idolâtrerais you more than those who put you on a pedestal but I can not. I must not. I do not want.

Have I lost a player with enormous characteristics River? Not at all. I saw you like that. I endured the same manner. And why not say it, I was fun watching you when you played in Villarreal, selection, or when you were making passes with Saviola that mark in Barcelona. Do you know how many times I mentioned that you missed penalty against Arsenal to prove that you were not perfect? Thousands of times. It should say that there are not many gray areas in your career. The truth is that he had to do to lead a non-existent team like Villarreal was far. I can tell you now that you no longer will play for Boca even if you will always one of them.

I respect as rival Boca. I do not take pleasure in seeing them, I wear them even less to the skies. It's a neurosis. For me, Boca represents what is wrong, what is impure, what is unworthy, just the opposite of what I want me in the world of football. But with you, I had a dilemma. You have the genes of River Plate, Roman! Dribbling, elegance, touched. All this is to our school. There prevail garra, balls, win by any means, win Clasicos in one way or another. How best player of Argentine football the past ten years could he play in Boca? It was impossible. This guy was to represent River.
You changed history. Despite Rojitas, Marcico, Mastrangelo and Maradona, it is you who has changed them a taste of the game. You have opened their eyes. Thou hast shown that football has taught me since I was little, that I received the legacy of my old gallina. How can they not love you! Thou hast showed a perfect world. If I were them, I would have liked you, too.

But I'm not them. I do not love you, I do not love you but I respect you. Like you, you respect River. If there is someone who has pretty broad shoulders and the necessary grounds to criticize River, it's you. Neither the loudmouth Bermudez nor Maradona and his legend, or even Palermo. The guy who did the most to suffer River, it's you. You and your speed different play. You and this class, this style of play. And besides, I've never seen you speak ill of River. Anyway, not to the media or to the public. I always saw you speak well for my club, "River must go up," "the Superclasico miss" and lots of other sentences like. It's impossible for me not to respect you. And that you have won. And see for yourself, look how great you are, even they, with all the hate that we dedicate, have been able to criticize you when you spoke well of us. You were the greatest player in the history of Boca.

Like Ortega, I like Francescoli. My father and my books have taught me to love Angel Labruna, they explained to me what it was that Maquina (the "machine" which was the nickname of the attack River in the 1940s, ed) and tell me why, Almeyda, for example, is not my idol. For you, I have not even a little affection. I do not allow myself. You're with them, you're bostero. You're against me. But you're a p ***** football player. You're one of the best this sport has ever seen and although I never liked you for the reasons listed above, I still had the chance to see you play on a lot with my own eyes as I had the chance to see Ortega, for example.

Roman goodbye, thank God, you no longer playing the Boca. You'll never make me suffer. riquelme basMaintenant country, maybe I would take pleasure in seeing you on YouTube or during a discussion with bosteros friends. Before, I could not, you'll know why. In addition, we'll see each
Once a white shirt with a red stripe meet a blue shirt with yellow horizontal band. After all, you were born and will die bostero and I was born and die gallina gallina. Anyway, today I took a leave of rivalry and I say: thank you for your football. We will always continue to be rivals because it is the beautiful game called football and the history that has so decided.

Javier Garcia

the source:

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:30 am

his panenka style penalties compilation:

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:39 am

Maradona: "I would have liked to be Riquelme"

Diego Armando Maradona is loved by most Argentines by the magic that unfolded in the courts and for the love he showed to wear the shirt of the national team, with which won the last World Cup which currently holds the country: Mexico '86 .

It is also considered by many as the best footballer in history. However, he seems to have a kind of account pending with what was his career. "Sometimes I start to think how lucky they had Riquelme had returned in full force to give Boca what gave. Riquelme is the type that performance gave Boca since he came back," said the former coach of combined South Africa national in 2010.

"What Riquelme was great and I wish to be Riquelme. Imagine my best Napoli if I came to go to the Bombonera with the strength that Riquelme came, we had won much or more than Riquelme," said Diego in dialogue with Olé.

Despite this, he took a break and also praised the actions of Carlos Tevez, concerning the current Xeneize. "A Carlitos I carry in my heart and I love him. He could have gone to Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich or renew with Juventus, and yet chose Boca. That for bostero is priceless. So Carlitos is number one in the soul and heart of Boca ".

He also took the opportunity to acknowledge their love for the greatest idol Independent: "It is true that going to see Bochini, I carried my brother the Colorado, but was nothing else in the Libertadores Cup, did not go on Sundays for me. Snoopy was the greatest. Bochini is right, but not touched the ball and rivals fell on his ass. that's what impressed me about him. "

"To me had already asked Arsenal, Barcelona, Sivori I wanted to take Juventus. I had a quilombito the important head. So when they talk about Maradona, one must be Maradona. I like the gift, eh," he said former footballer, tomorrow will celebrate 40 years of his debut in First with the shirt of Argentinos, to refer to what is his life.

Despite their constant bickering, Maradona was praise with O Rei "Pele could not say anything because he knew all nodded, kicking, stop with the back, chest, shoulders ....".

the source:

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:05 am

Bomb in Tucumán: Atletico wants Riquelme to play Copa Libertadores

Apparently, Atlético wants to continue making history and continue to write golden pages in his football life. After getting into the Copa Libertadores, the Tucuman institution would be determined to bet heavily in the continental tournament and would go to the charge for Juan Román Riquelme! Yes: the Dean would make an attempt so that the idol of Boca put, once again, the shorts and the booties to professional level.

This Monday began to circulate a version on the alleged interest of the Tucuman team to have the 10 for the next edition of the Copa Libertadores (the first in the history of the club of the North). And what began as a simple rumor or murmur (which exploded in social networks) gained some more force when the institution's second vice president, Ignacio Golobisky, referred to the issue leaving the door ajar to some future attempt. "I do not confirm or defer, but officially from Atletico Tucumán there is nothing for Riquelme," said the leader in dialogue with TN.

As it transcendió, there would be a business group that would be part of the negotiation and that would try to convince to Roman so that the equipment of the Vasco Azconzábal is added.

It should be noted that JR already announced his farewell party (retired from professional football) but without stipulating a specific date. Is it possible? Will Román put on the Dean or will it all end in a rumor?

Veron already began to train to play the Cup with Students. Will he follow Roman?

the source:

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:26 am

guest_07 wrote:his 20 goals in libertadores cup (south america champions league)
boca juniors top scorer in all time for this cup, top 10 scorers in all time for overall
(5 goals missing in the video)

revised video on his 25 goals in copa libertadores cup

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:38 am

his cross, shot & goal through corner kick:

the revised one:

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Wed May 24, 2017 2:31 pm

TOO GOOD TO RUN
Juan Roman Riquelme will always be one of the game’s great entertainers and the archetypal No10

The Argentine No10 was a unique talent who overcame adversity to bless the game in ways that brought joy to thousands.

In Argentina they demand more of their No10s.

Not content with stylish passmasters, the public now expect otherworldly genius from such players.

This is the country that produced Diego Maradona and Lionel Messi; players who rose to the top of the game and then broke through to explore uncharted territory.

There is another Argentine No10 who did not win the same volume of trophies or global recognition, but was most certainly blessed with the same natural talent.

This is the legend of Juan Roman Riquelme.

Born the day before Argentina won the 1978 World Cup, Riquelme grew up in a shanty town in the Buenos Aires suburb of San Fernando, where violence and nefariousness are the local past-times.

His dad was a violent gang leader and used to force Riquelme junior to play in matches arranged to satisfy the needs of illegal gambling rings.

Many years later Argentina’s underworld caused him much distress as paid half a million dollars in ransom money to have his brother freed from kidnappers without harm.

Humble beginnings meant Riquleme never let his celebrity status go to his head.

Famous for remembering the names of club employees, journalists and everyone else he came across, Riquelme has always been Argentina’s man of the people, even if he did believe he should be South America’s top earner.

A quote from a Buenos Aires taxi driver has long been attached to the cultured playmaker: “If there is one thing I respect about Roman, it is how he’s the only one in this country with the balls to tell that fat Maradona to f*ck off.”

No player has ever personified Boca Juniors more.

Riquelme’s passion, flair and dedication are all products of 14 years of service for the Argentine giants.

While so many of the country’s star players spent the majority of their careers in Europe, Riquelme spent most of his time in his own back garden.

For this reason, he is idolised above the likes of Messi in many circles.

He did grace our green continent for a few seasons of course.

Although he found himself unwanted and underused at Barcelona, a club that so easily could have made him the outright best player in the world had everything fallen into place.

When Louis van Gaal refused to pick him in his favoured position at Barcelona, Riquelme demanded he be let go to prosper elsewhere.

That’s when he put Villarreal on the map.

Riquelme took them to a Champions League semi-final which they lost to Arsenal, thanks to the fact that he missed a last-minute penalty at El Madrigal.

But the unwarranted blame was only temporary.

Everyone at the club and beyond recognised the fact that without Riquelme’s relaxed brilliance, Villarreal would not have made it out the groups stages.

His style attracted many admirers; Zinedine Zidane chose to swap shirts with Riquelme in the Frenchman’s final ever club game.

But he also had his critics.

Doubters lamented his work rate, or lack thereof.

But what Riquelme knew is that if you possess the ability to see the game a second before anyone else, running is barely necessary.

A playmaker in the purest sense he always had an insatiable eye for goal, dealing almost exclusively in Goal of the Season contenders.

Argentina may have reached the final of the World Cup in 2014, but they played their most attractive football of the modern era in 2006, with Riquelme at the helm as creator-in-chief.

Having starred in the group stages, Riquelme provided the assist for Roberto Ayala in the quarter-final against Germany.

With Argentina 1-0 up and dominating possession, Riquelme was taken off as his energy levels drooped.

Eight minutes later Miroslav Klose equalised and Germany would go on to do what they always have done, win on penalties.

Politics, disagreements and the abduction of his brother meant he ended his career having played just 51 times for his country.

In his second to last year with the national team (2007) he scored nine goals in as many games.

His talent was worth a century of caps, at the very least.

For his final act he returned to his first youth club, Argentinos Juniors, and inspired them to promotion back to the top flight.

This act of repayment even won respect from River Plate fans, who are obligated to detest all Boca Juniors players from birth.

Often mocked for his sulky appearance on the pitch, his creative displays brought smiles to thousands.

Upon his retirement, prominent Argentine sportswriter, Horacio Pagani, described Riquelme as the ‘second inventor of football’, crediting us English as a whole as the first inventors a century or so previous.

An expression of undying affection and hyperbole, certainly, but one worthy of one of football’s truly great entertainers.

source:

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Mon May 29, 2017 6:38 am

Juan Román Riquelme, Mario Yepes and the greatest nutmeg ever

Mario Yepes enjoyed a more than stellar career. The centre-back played 102 times for his country between 1999 and 2014, making him Colombia’s second-highest capped player of all time behind the enigmatic, frizzy haired legend Carlos Valderrama. Yepes also starred for hometown club Deportivo Cali, River Plate and San Lorenzo in Argentina, Nantes and Paris Saint-Germain in France, and Chievo, Milan and Atalanta in Italy’s Serie A.

After hanging up his boots, he briefly went into management with former club Cali, lasting less than a year before he was fired for poor results and performances. Despite his longevity and success in the game, if you search “Mario Yepes River Plate” on YouTube, one of the first listings brings up a moment he would surely rather forget.

Yepes’ River Plate were pitted against sworn enemies Boca Juniors in the 2000 Copa Libertadores quarter-finals. River were Argentina’s form team at the time, winning both championships either side of the tie with Boca, adding those two trophies to six other domestic triumphs in the 1990s. Boca were no slouches at the time either, having picked up two championship victories in recent years following a six-year drought. However, as the old cliche goes, form goes out of the window for cup games, and especially derby matches. This tie was to be no different.

River had home advantage first, with Boca visiting El Monumental on 17 May 2000 for the opening leg. The hosts took the lead after just 15 minutes through Colombian striker Juan Pablo Ángel. The ball fell kindly to the future Aston Villa favourite after Boca goalkeeper Óscar Córdoba – another Colombian – misjudged a cross, and he lashed the ball home from eight yards.

Fifteen minutes later Boca were awarded a free-kick on the right-hand corner of River’s box. Normally from this angle, you’d expect the ball to be aimed over the wall and into the near corner, to the goalkeeper’s right; Juan Román Riquelme, however, has always done things his own way and this was no exception. The magician whipped the ball towards the opposite side of the net, completely wrong-footing River goalkeeper Roberto Bonano. Javier Saviola restored River’s lead in the second half, after driving at the heart of the Boca defence before unleashing an unstoppable shot from more than 20 yards, and the game ended 2-1.

One week later River visited La Bombonera looking to defend their slender lead from the first leg. With the away goal rule not in force, Boca knew one goal would be enough to take the game to extra time, providing they could keep a clean sheet at the other end. As in the first leg, the home side drew blood first with Marcelo Delgado breaking the deadlock for Boca on the hour to set up a tense final 30 minutes. Delgado scruffily converted a deep cross from Riquelme following a calamitous mix-up between Bonano and one of his defenders, reminiscent of the error that gave River the lead in the first leg.

After 74 minutes, manager Carlos Bianchi would make an inspired substitution, withdrawing Gustavo Barros Schelotto – Boca’s current manager – with Sebastian Battaglia. Ten minutes later Riquelme released Battaglia, who was felled after bursting into the penalty box. Riquelme dispatched the resulting penalty with customary aplomb to give Boca the edge, 3-2 on aggregate. After playing a pivotal role in all three of Boca’s goals in the tie so far, Riquelme’s tail was up and two minutes after the penalty he produced a moment of magic that would become legendary.

Right-sided midfielder Julio Marchant picked up the ball deep in his own half, clipping the ball into the feet of Riquelme who was loitering close to the touchline just inside River territory. Vastly out of position, central defender Yepes approached Riquelme like a moth drawn to a flame.

Just as he could feel the touch of the Colombian on his back, Riquelme ran his right foot over the top of the ball, before flicking it backwards through the legs of the bemused Yepes. Yepes was the raging bull, and like all good matadors, Riquelme waited until the last possible minute before raising the red flag and outfoxing his nemesis.

Riquelme then span off to his left and collected the ball on the other side. He jumped through the challenge of two further markers before rubbing salt in the wounds by evading a further tackle, playing with more than four River defenders at the same time.

The ball was finally run out of play towards River’s corner flag, and even though it technically came to nothing, the psychological damage was done. It signified that the tie was over and that Boca, and Riquelme in particular, were able to play with their opponents like a rag doll. Riquelme later said that throughout his career the ball was like a toy to him, and he certainly played with Yepes that day.

The cherry on the icing on the cake was provided by Boca’s all-time leading goalscorer, Martín Palermo. El Titan was returning following a long injury layoff – 193 days to be exact – that had scuppered a move to Italian giants Lazio. His introduction from the bench in the 77th minute – when the tie was still in the balance – was meant to have a detrimental psychological effect on River Plate, and it certainly worked.

In the 90th minute, Palermo made it 3-0 to Boca after further good work from Riquelme and Battaglia. Palermo turned beautifully on the ball inside River’s box, wrong-footing the defence before neatly slotting the ball into the bottom corner with his left foot.

Boca would go on to win the competition that year, eliminating Mexico’s Club América in the semi-finals and beating Palmeiras of Brazil on penalties in the final. Bianchi’s reign, under current president of the nation and former Boca president, Mauricio Macri, still marks the most successful period in the club’s history.

With El Virrey in the dugout, Boca won four national championships and three Copa Libertadores. Those continental triumphs even gave Boca the chance to compete with Europe’s finest for the Intercontinental Cup. Against the odds, Boca defeated Real Madrid and AC Milan – in 2000 and 2003 respectively – to add to their already burgeoning trophy cabinet and cement their legendary status. The Intercontinental Cup – now called the Club World Cup – is often given more credence in South America than in Europe, where it is seen as somewhat of a distraction in the calendar. On both occasions, Boca’s players returned home heroes.

River would bounce back from this defeat to Boca, winning five national championships over the course of the next decade, before an improbable relegation in 2011.

Riquelme is now known to football fans the world over, but at the time of the nutmeg he was 22-year-old yet to make his mark on the world, despite six international caps and a handful of domestic titles to his name. In 2002 Riquelme would follow in the footsteps of his idol-turned-nemesis Diego Maradona by signing for Barcelona, although as with Maradona, his time at the Camp Nou would be fairly fleeting.

Riquelme predictably fell foul of the rigid Dutch pragmatist Louis van Gaal and was sent to Villarreal on an initial two-year loan before spending a further two years with the Yellow Submarine following a permanent transfer. It was with at El Madrigal, under former Manchester City manager Mauricio Pellegrini, that Riquelme made his name, operating at the heart of a stunning team, matching Europe’s heavyweights with a minute budget in comparison.

Riquelme would return to Boca in 2007 and spend another seven years at La Bombonera, adding two more league titles and a further Copa Libertadores to his medal cabinet. He finished his career with a season in the second tier at Argentinos Juniors, where he started his career in the youth team.

Riquelme is one of his generation’s most gifted and revered players, and it was moments like the Yepes nutmeg – not to mention the numerous team and individual awards that he collected – that solidified his legend.

The nutmeg is one of football’s most loved tricks, able to draw cheers from a crowd and anger from the recipient in equal measure. The origin of the English term is debated. In his 1998 book Over the Moon, Brian author Alex Leith explored how a lexicon of phrases found their way onto the tongues of British football fans. Leith claims that the ‘nut’ part of the word refers to the slang word for testicles, and that nutmeg is a variation on this. It’s also been claimed that the ‘meg’ part comes from cockney rhyming slang for leg.

Another theory is that nutmeg is a rare spice, or perhaps was when the phrase was coined, and that the move is a rare one on the football field. None of these can be verified, which only adds to the intrigue and mystique of the word.

In other languages, the phrase tunnel is used, which is a lot more sensible and easily understood. In Spanish, Riquelme’s mother tongue, the phrase caño is used. This word means tube or pipe, a variation on the tunnel theme, and generally relates to water. Geographically, water is able to force its path wherever it pleases, forging through whatever stands in its way. In nutmegging Yepes, Riquelme took the shortest path beyond his opponent, forcing the ball through an unwanted area, like a body of water, leaving a legacy that would last a lifetime.

Tricks, perhaps in South America more than anywhere, are a hugely important part of the game. Contrary to the old-fashioned English characteristic of hard work, honesty and winning like gentlemen – although it must be said this is less prevalent now due to the globalisation of the English game – South Americans are typically willing to win by all means necessary. Tricking your opponent, and even the referee, is seen as a positive attribute and a perfectly acceptable way to win a football match. In the 1986 World Cup, Diego Maradona talked of “pickpocketing“ the English when he blatantly scored past Peter Shilton with his fist.

In a football match, certain moments cause fans to stand en masse, creating the rat-a-tat-tat sound of plastic seats closing, or to surge forward in standing areas like a tidal wave. Goals, penalty saves and crunching tackles are capable of producing such moments during the course of a 90 minute match. For the flair players, there is no end of tricks that can have this very same effect on the fans, wowing them and embarrassing their opponents in one fell swoop. In May 2000 Riquelme did just that to Mario Yepes, and 17 years later it is still talked about as if it happened yesterday.

It wasn’t the first or last time that Riquelme would embarrass an opponent, but given the magnitude of the occasion and the fierce rivalry with River Plate, it has to be considered one of the greatest – perhaps the greatest outright – nutmegs of all time. In typical Riquelme fashion, he played down the incident and was full of praise for his victim: “Whenever I’m asked about this trick, I always say it has more worth for Yepes than me. In a 3-0 Clásico with a trick such as this, I believe that any other player would have kicked out. Yet he followed me all the way to the corner without doing a thing. This is much more manly than nutmegging someone.”

Riquelme’s words are proof that even when it comes to tricks, there is still a code amongst old school figures such as the Argentine and Yepes.

source:

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:10 am

good post
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:53 pm

someone's reaction to roman's video

i love his reaction

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:16 pm

riquelme's (24 y.o., boca juniors) vs indepediente (2002 Primera Division)

only match highlights but still awesome considering that he had 2 goals & 2 assists

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:33 am

"Generation Riquelme": Sub-15 Cup has youngsters inspired by the Roman

Tournament promoted by Zico has five boys named after the former shirt 10 Boca Juniors, entitled to distinctive spellings and rivalry.

At 15, Juan Román Riquelme was just another boy seeking the dream of becoming a footballer. In the Argentino Juniors' base categories, the midfielder did not imagine that, 24 years later, he was already an idol and multi-champion for Boca Juniors, he would become an inspiration for young Brazilians who, coincidentally or otherwise, decided to follow the same path as the former player.

Last Saturday, Grêmio won Flamengo and took the title of the 20th edition of the Friendship Cup - the U15 tournament promoted by Zico in Rio de Janeiro. Joined in the competition, five boys with names inspired by Riquelme. Each one with its spelling and history, but all with the choices of the parents influenced by the Argentine half.

GET TO KNOW THE BRAZILIAN "RIQUELMES"

1 - THE EMANOEL THAT TURNED RIQUELME
Name: Riquelme de Carvalho Araújo Viana
Date of Birth: 8/28/2002 (15 years)
Place of Birth: Barra Mansa-RJ

Left-back of the sub-15 of Vasco and with calls for the Brazilian selection of the category, Riquelme carries in the name the idolatry of the father by the Argentine. The decision came after one of Juan Román's prominent appearances at Libertadores, Boca Juniors, even with his mother's will for "Emanoel."

"My father told me that he decided to put my name on it because he was a Riquelme fan. He put it in my head that my name would be this after a Copa Libertadores final. My mother was not very supportive, I wanted my name to be Emanoel, but eventually she accepted and my father registered me as Riquelme.

At the registry, the registry confused. By a mistake of letter, Riquelme was almost not born Rikelme. But will prevailed. Starting the career as a player, the boy has the stocking as an idol.

- I've seen videos. He was a great player, a different guy, who knew the right moment to make each move. He was an ace. Even in history, although not in my position, I have it as an idol.

2 - RIQUELME NO! RIQUELMO YES!
Name: Riquelmo Alves Lima
Club: Cruzeiro
Date of Birth: 3/19/2002 (15 years)
Place of Birth: Belo Horizonte

Riquelme almost caused discord in Minas Gerais. The father, fan of the Argentinian, wanted the same name on the birth certificate. But the mother preferred something a little different. For the child's sake, the middle ground was made: Riquelmo!

"My father was a Riquelme fan, I liked his football and put his name on me. My mother wanted it to be a bit different, so she preferred it to be Riquelmo and not Riquelme. But it was my father who spoke of choosing the name for me.

At age 15, the memories of the classic Argentine half comes from the videos. The position of the young Cruze is the same as the player who started at the base of Argentino Juniors.

I looked for some videos of him. Riquelme played a lot, played easy. He was very smart, he hit the ball well. I really liked his football. I am also half and I am working hard to, God willing, get on his level.

3 - RIQUELMY BY HOMAGE (AND RIVALITY)
Name: Riquelmy Oliveira Fernandes
Club: Atlético-MG
Date of Birth: 12/01/2002 (15 years)
Place of Birth: São Paulo

The duels between Boca Juniors and Palmeiras interfered directly in the life of a young man from São Paulo. After title in 2000 and vague in the decision in 2001 for the Argentineans, with great performance of Riquelme, a Corintian father decided to give to the son the name of the half.

- They chose my name when Riquelme ended Palmeiras in the Libertadores (laughs). My father is a Corinthian, so it's explained (laughs). I've seen several of his videos already. I even had the opportunity to see him playing against Corinthians. I started to like him more when I saw him play, I still managed to get some of him in football.

Riquelmy plays with the name, but admits that it is not Juan Román the great reference in the soccer. The idols are Brazilian.

"I'm a Corinthian, too, but now I'm also Atlético-MG. Riquelme is not my idol, I like Neymar and Ronaldo Phenomenon.

4 - BY THE IDOL, BUT WITH "Y", "K" AND "O"
Name: Rykelmo de Souza Viana
Club: Flamengo
Date of Birth: 26/02/2002 (15 years)
Place of Birth: Limeira-SP

Shirt 5, fan of Zidane, but with a name inspired by 10 of Boca. Again the reason is the father, admirer of the football played in Argentina. The father's idolatry gave his son a name, with "y", "k" and "o", but in honor of Juan Román.

- It's because of my father. He was very fond of Argentine football and admired the player a lot, so this tribute came to him. I watched his videos playing, I admire him a lot. I have him as an idol, not only by name, but also by football.

Rykelmo was a Flamengo starter in the Friendship Cup. The team's campaign was worthy of applause, entitled to victory against Fluminense in the semifinal and balanced match with Grêmio in the decision.

5 - RIQUELME (WITH Y) FOR INSISTENCE
Name: Riquelmy Mendes Araújo
Club: Cruzeiro
Date of Birth: 11/04/2002 (15 years)
Place of Birth: Gurupi-TO

A midfielder who became an attacker, but did not forget the inspiration of the original Riquelme to continue growing in football. Riquelmy - who did not enter the field in the Friendship Cup because of an injury - has the former Boca Juniors player as a reference, especially in the way of hitting the ball.

- I saw several videos of Riquelme on the internet. I saw that he was a different player, he played a lot in his day. I'm very inspired by it. It inspired me even more when I still acted as a midfield. I kept seeing videos of him hitting the ball, beating. That still interests me a lot, because I'm a center forward now.

One more father left the office proud. The name, even with slight difference, was fruit of the insistence with the mother, who gave in the end. Good for the boy, who liked the homage.

"My father was very fond of Riquelme's football. My mother did not want to. He thought of names other than "player's name." My father insisted, and my mother accepted. I really like my name.

source:

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:24 am

riquelme (28 y.o., argentina) vs croatia (2006 friendly)

Last edited by guest_07 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:39 am; edited 2 times in total

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:45 am

Riquelme is running for president of Boca Juniors

"If some day I have that luck, I hope that the fan gives me time to work," said the former soccer player in a television interview.
Boca-River live: Superclásico Summer Tournament 2018

Juan Román Riquelme ran today to be president of Boca Juniors in 2019 and remarked that 11 years ago that the club of La Ribera does not win the Copa Libertadores de América, in the previous superclassic tomorrow at 22.10 against River Plate, in Mar del Plata.

"We have not won the Cup for many years now, the truth is that I never thought it would be that long." The president (Daniel Angelici) has been trying to do things well for seven years, I think. I take the responsibility, I hope the fans will give me the same time and win many titles, "Riquelme told ESPN.

"When we played, if we won the local championship, they did not give him much of a ball and they talked about the Copa Libertadores, I said recently that Boca was forced to win it and they said that Riquelme is pushing for that," he added.

Riquelme, in another section of the article, spoke about the scandal of Colombians Edwin Cardona and Wilmar Barrios. "I am a person like the players before, when I do not live things I prefer not to comment, I do not like to live on comments, I do not have to do it, I hope things are solved, my club is well. because I was not there, "he remarked.

The 10 also said that it is "very difficult" to escape Boca Superliga as it took "a good advantage" and was "happy" for the return of Carlos Tevez. "We've been 11 years since the last Copa Libertadores, too much happened, many players came, hopefully they can enjoy being in our club and they can give us the Cup," he reiterated.

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:29 am

Thank you for keeping us updated, my friend.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:31 am

futbol wrote:Thank you for keeping us updated, my friend.

you are welcome, brother....

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:27 pm

his top 10 skills vs river plate

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:31 pm

Unreal video as usual.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:06 am

riquelme (27 y.o., argentina) vs germany (2005 confederation cup group stage)

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:15 am

i realize that he rarely did backward pass

always go for the killer pass

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:53 pm

Yes, I realized that too.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:40 am

2007, (19 years J.R.R., Boca Juniors) Copa Libertadores: Quarter Final, 2nd Leg, away, vs Libertad (Paraguay)

Last edited by guest_07 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:01 am

1997, (19 years old JRR), World Cup U-20: Round 16, vs England;

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:58 am

2000, (22 years old JRR), Primera League, vs Velez Sarsfield, home

1 assist;
2 goals vs top goalkeeper (Jose Luis Chilavert)

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next