Glen Johnson

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Glen Johnson

Post by Art Morte on Tue May 06, 2014 1:06 pm

Saw that Albert had posted in this thread for the first time after yesterday's game, eagerly, a little nervously opened it... and disappointment. Was expecting more Neutral

Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert on Tue May 06, 2014 1:14 pm

@Arquitescu wrote:Lucas has been abominable yet I'll still support him given his age and coming off injury.

Over-the-hill and down in decline Johnson on the other hand with his princess attitude and ponderous footballing IQ is simply not good enough for us and should be the last person who should be attempting to deflect criticism off of himself.

Am I the only one finding this ironic?

Or is it because GJ logic goes out the window?

hmm
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 on Tue May 06, 2014 1:30 pm

No, RA, I agree with you - if Lucas gets a pass for those reasons, the same apply to GJ. I come to a different conclusion than you, though, which is that neither of them are good enough to be consistent starters for us. In fact, we currently have Gerrard, Coutinho, Hendo and Allen ahead of Lucas in various CM spots, and as the last few weeks have shown it's not enough. He needs to be cover for the deepest lying spot and that spot only - a very limited squad role. Otherwise, I'm not comfortable with him on the field anymore.
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 on Tue May 06, 2014 2:07 pm

@stevieg8 wrote:No, RA, I agree with you - if Lucas gets a pass for those reasons, the same apply to GJ. I come to a different conclusion than you, though, which is that neither of them are good enough to be consistent starters for us.  In fact, we currently have Gerrard, Coutinho, Hendo and Allen ahead of Lucas in various CM spots, and as the last few weeks have shown it's not enough.  He needs to be cover for the deepest lying spot and that spot only - a very limited squad role.  Otherwise, I'm not comfortable with him on the field anymore.

Sums up the truth!  Thumbs up Thumbs up 
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitescu on Tue May 06, 2014 9:16 pm

@Red Alert wrote:
@Arquitescu wrote:Lucas has been abominable yet I'll still support him given his age and coming off injury.

Over-the-hill and down in decline Johnson on the other hand with his princess attitude and ponderous footballing IQ is simply not good enough for us and should be the last person who should be attempting to deflect criticism off of himself.  

Am I the only one finding this ironic?

Or is it because GJ logic goes out the window?

hmm

Failing to see the irony in this, my man. Elaborate.

Arquitescu
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Sociedad

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert on Wed May 07, 2014 8:23 am

You're supporting Lucas because he's just came back from injury (which is fine, whatever) and because of his age over GJ when Glen has also came back from injury (and played injured for a good month to two) and is OLDER than Lucas too. Let's not have double standards, eh? I mean, both have been pretty average lately don't get me wrong, but they're BOTH being scapegoats. (as is Sakho but that's for another time and thread)

Red is the colour of extremes. It's the color of passionate love, seduction, violence, danger, anger, and adventure. The colour red is the color of energy, passion and action. This colour is a warm and positive color associated with our most physical needs and our will to survive.Red represents power and courage. The colour red is the basis of the traditional red power tie or red suit in the business, and the red carpet for celebrities and VIPs. Red's association with courage and bravery makes it a colour that is used often in national flags, on shields, and in achievement patches. Liverpool. Is. Red.
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert on Wed May 07, 2014 8:24 am

@stevieg8 wrote:No, RA, I agree with you - if Lucas gets a pass for those reasons, the same apply to GJ. I come to a different conclusion than you, though, which is that neither of them are good enough to be consistent starters for us. In fact, we currently have Gerrard, Coutinho, Hendo and Allen ahead of Lucas in various CM spots, and as the last few weeks have shown it's not enough. He needs to be cover for the deepest lying spot and that spot only - a very limited squad role. Otherwise, I'm not comfortable with him on the field anymore.

That "limited" squad role is the most important position in how we set up........
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 on Fri May 09, 2014 3:03 am

@Red Alert wrote:
@stevieg8 wrote:No, RA, I agree with you - if Lucas gets a pass for those reasons, the same apply to GJ. I come to a different conclusion than you, though, which is that neither of them are good enough to be consistent starters for us.  In fact, we currently have Gerrard, Coutinho, Hendo and Allen ahead of Lucas in various CM spots, and as the last few weeks have shown it's not enough.  He needs to be cover for the deepest lying spot and that spot only - a very limited squad role.  Otherwise, I'm not comfortable with him on the field anymore.

That "limited" squad role is the most important position in how we set up........

Yes, and I would like him to serve as cover for Gerrard and not see the field in any other role. Currently he's playing a more advanced role because we have no one else for it; I would much prefer we bring in an additional player or two that can play that advanced role so that Lucas no longer features there.

Even with advanced gametime, playing as second fiddle to Gerrard is not going to see the pitch that often unless there's an injury. That's all I meant by "limited".
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitescu on Fri May 09, 2014 5:48 am

@Red Alert wrote:You're supporting Lucas because he's just came back from injury (which is fine, whatever) and because of his age over GJ when Glen has also came back from injury (and played injured for a good month to two) and is OLDER than Lucas too. Let's not have double standards, eh? I mean, both have been pretty average lately don't get me wrong, but they're BOTH being scapegoats. (as is Sakho but that's for another time and thread)

Not really.

Lucas returned from a long term injury to which did not allow him game time to accrue match-fitness, whereas Johnson was SOMEHOW allowed to play during injury to which I'm looking at more and more of an excuse, given that he's been the exact same for more than a year now. Yes, Lucas is younger therefore has more room for improvement and a propensity to peak whereas Johnson is now 30 and on an obvious decline, along with the fact that his experience should not allow him to make rookie mistakes like he is making often.

All would have been fine if he was at least contributing in attack yet he's turned into someone who is ponderous on the ball, produces 0 in the final third and just ends up giving away turnovers.

No I am not scapegoating him, rather looking at a collection of his individual performances to which have been shockingly below par let alone by his usual standard.

Arquitescu
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert on Fri May 09, 2014 8:16 am

@Arquitescu wrote:

Not really.

Lucas returned from a long term injury to which did not allow him game time to accrue match-fitness, whereas Johnson was SOMEHOW allowed to play during injury to which I'm looking at more and more of an excuse, given that he's been the exact same for more than a year now. Yes, Lucas is younger therefore has more room for improvement and a propensity to peak whereas Johnson is now 30 and on an obvious decline, along with the fact that his experience should not allow him to make rookie mistakes like he is making often.

All would have been fine if he was at least contributing in attack yet he's turned into someone who is ponderous on the ball, produces 0 in the final third and just ends up giving away turnovers.

No I am not scapegoating him, rather looking at a collection of his individual performances to which have been shockingly below par let alone by his usual standard.

Hold on. Lucas had a long term injury in 2012. As bad as the ACL was, he's recovered from that now.

He's had TWO pre-seasons since then. (He got injured again shortly after the first pre season in Rodgers' first season for 3-4 months, but he was playing in the second half of the season of 2012-13.)

Again, the "long term" injury was 2 years ago. He's had another injury this season but was only out for a month, back in JANUARY. His lacking match fitness now and looks out of the place in the new role, but using injuries to cover that isn't right.

As for your favorite player...

He was one of our best defenders at the start of the season. I'm still waiting for you to tell me which game he had that was poor before his injury.

As for why he played through injury, the manager himself:

"Glen has played a lot of the season having been injured and really put himself out for the team but unfortunately he's struggled a lot with a number of injuries," added the Reds boss.

"I just think it's now at that point where we need to get him right.

"The timeline he'll be out will be indefinite really. We'll just need to assess that and see how quickly he comes through that.

"He's had a real bad ankle for a period of time and just one or two other issues that haven't allowed him to be 100 per cent.

"I think everyone has seen over many years the speed, fluency and how good he's been, but for part of this season he's been restricted and that's obviously been difficult for him.

He was pretty much played because of a lack of depth.

Oh, and
Rodgers has said: "No contracts will be looked at until the summer but his (Johnson's) will be a priority for us, especially if he continues in the form that he is in. The beauty of this is we want to keep Glen and Glen loves it here. We just need to find a solution which is good for both."

There was no rush to bring Lucas back, as we had Cou, Joe, Jordan, Stevie to step in.

GJ has been nothing but a scapegoat this season ffs. Firstly, we don't even attack down the right flank anymore, we attack through the centre and through the centre only unless 'SAS' are having their moments down the flank. That nullifies Glenno's game to a whole.

Johnson's job right now is to stretch the opposition, something he does quite well at. We really should utilize him better, but it doesn't really matter, as we're getting the results. He's sacrificed himself for a team performance (just as everyone else this season).
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert on Fri May 09, 2014 8:19 am

@stevieg8 wrote:
@Red Alert wrote:

Yes, and I would like him to serve as cover for Gerrard and not see the field in any other role.  Currently he's playing a more advanced role because we have no one else for it; I would much prefer we bring in an additional player or two that can play that advanced role so that Lucas no longer features there.

Even with advanced gametime, playing as second fiddle to Gerrard is not going to see the pitch that often unless there's an injury.  That's all I meant by "limited".

Must of been a misunderstanding. I thought you said the DLP is a very limited squad role itself. (Highlighted in red now)

And he'll get games. Gerrard is 34, he's not superman. He can't play every game. We'll have extra games from the CL next season too. Lucas just needs a pre-season to get his fitness right, he doesn't look fit enough to play at the tempo as the rest of the team right now. Needs to play in his position, too. Lucas, Allen and Henderson was our best midfield in the middle half of the season.
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitescu on Fri May 09, 2014 10:08 pm

@Red Alert wrote:
@Arquitescu wrote:

Not really.

Hold on. Lucas had a long term injury in 2012. As bad as the ACL was, he's recovered from that now.

He's had TWO pre-seasons since then. (He got injured again shortly after the first pre season in Rodgers' first season for 3-4 months, but he was playing in the second half of the season of 2012-13.)

Again, the "long term" injury was 2 years ago. He's had another injury this season but was only out for a month, back in JANUARY. His lacking match fitness now and looks out of the place in the new role, but using injuries to cover that isn't right.

As for your favorite player...

He was one of our best defenders at the start of the season. I'm still waiting for you to tell me which game he had that was poor before his injury.

As for why he played through injury, the manager himself:

"Glen has played a lot of the season having been injured and really put himself out for the team but unfortunately he's struggled a lot with a number of injuries," added the Reds boss.

"I just think it's now at that point where we need to get him right.

"The timeline he'll be out will be indefinite really. We'll just need to assess that and see how quickly he comes through that.

"He's had a real bad ankle for a period of time and just one or two other issues that haven't allowed him to be 100 per cent.

"I think everyone has seen over many years the speed, fluency and how good he's been, but for part of this season he's been restricted and that's obviously been difficult for him.

He was pretty much played because of a lack of depth.

Oh, and
Rodgers has said: "No contracts will be looked at until the summer but his (Johnson's) will be a priority for us, especially if he continues in the form that he is in. The beauty of this is we want to keep Glen and Glen loves it here. We just need to find a solution which is good for both."

There was no rush to bring Lucas back, as we had Cou, Joe, Jordan, Stevie to step in.

GJ has been nothing but a scapegoat this season ffs. Firstly, we don't even attack down the right flank anymore, we attack through the centre and through the centre only unless 'SAS' are having their moments down the flank. That nullifies Glenno's game to a whole.

Johnson's job right now is to stretch the opposition, something he does quite well at. We really should utilize him better, but it doesn't really matter, as we're getting the results. He's sacrificed himself for a team performance (just as everyone else this season).

Recovering from an ACL without a consistent basis of match time, an element Lucas has not received this season is a callous way of placing judgement upon a player. I for one, have been very critical of Lucas who seem's to have let all the support get to his head and forget his duties that made him so effective in his role. A slight regression has been obvious in his game yet given that he is 27 he holds ample propensity to improve and regain form.

Johnson on the other hand is age 30 has not been Glen Johnson for over 1 and a half season, in my opinion. He has lost all the flair and conviction that he held in attack that made him Glenno, while in defence he invites needless pressure onto our box along with at times completely missing to position himself from the opposition's right flank attack.

You would find several others here who have been critical of Johnson of late; I for one have taken your injury report into account, yet post injury he has shown little to naught progress of recovering and its quite frustrating.

I also blame our staff for letting Johnson play if he is carrying an injury, a decision that can severely impact and hamper a footballer playing at the intensity of football, let alone the way we do.

My expectations of Johnson are much higher than how he performs right now, which is why I am critical of him as scapegoating is not the word to describe my criticism of him.

If were fine the way he is performing, we need a serious look at the roles of our fullbacks and how they will perform to our semantics. Rodger's words are irrelevant given his usually diplomatic nature will definitely not criticize a senior player in our squad.

Arquitescu
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 on Sat May 10, 2014 5:14 am

@Red Alert wrote:
@stevieg8 wrote:
@Red Alert wrote:

Yes, and I would like him to serve as cover for Gerrard and not see the field in any other role.  Currently he's playing a more advanced role because we have no one else for it; I would much prefer we bring in an additional player or two that can play that advanced role so that Lucas no longer features there.

Even with advanced gametime, playing as second fiddle to Gerrard is not going to see the pitch that often unless there's an injury.  That's all I meant by "limited".

Must of been a misunderstanding. I thought you said the DLP is a very limited squad role itself. (Highlighted in red now)

And he'll get games. Gerrard is 34, he's not superman. He can't play every game. We'll have extra games from the CL next season too. Lucas just needs a pre-season to get his fitness right, he doesn't look fit enough to play at the tempo as the rest of the team right now. Needs to play in his position, too. Lucas, Allen and Henderson was our best midfield in the middle half of the season.

Fair enough, I see how that sentence could be read both ways. All cleared up then Thumbs up
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2