The official Tennis thread

Page 33 of 34 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by BusterLfc on Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:43 am

Djokovic beats Nishikori 3-0 and goes to final with Del Potro. I think that match point summed up the match, Djokovic is just on another level right now, he won his last 4 matches with 3-0. Delpo-Nole should be an entertaining final, Delpo is in great form as well. Thumbs up

BusterLfc
First Team
First Team

Posts : 1935
Join date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by RealGunner on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:40 am

Great to see Del Potro in a final though. Hope he wins but Djokovic should win
avatar
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 80410
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by danyjr on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:38 am

4 vs 14 ATP head to head stats...FML

_________________
avatar
danyjr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Boca Juniors
Posts : 4736
Join date : 2012-02-24

http://www.tikitakatoom.tk

Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Freeza on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:40 pm

Serena Williams rofl

What a god damn cry baby Laughing

At least her twitter following is out in full force. Most braindead fanbase next to Beyonce fans.

_________________
hmm:
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 19254
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by BarrileteCosmico on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:57 pm

Osaka is a Serena fangirl herself. SAD.

_________________
avatar
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : River Plate
Posts : 23306
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:03 am

Carlos wouldnt have did that for a top male player......Poor note to end a tournament on. Hopefully he's never in charge for a final again.

Anyways
Spoiler:

お疲れ様です Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Freeza on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:18 am

I’ve never seen any male player go on a 15 minute temper tantrum and call the ref corrupt and a disgrace.

Then again I don’t see much tennis. I think it’s much worse to call out refs integrity than calling them profanity.

Doesn’t change that Serena was an absolute disgrace. Getting outclaasses and then using a single call as a chance to change the focus.

_________________
hmm:
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 19254
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Freeza on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:19 am

Also all the fans who booed should be barred from another game. Absolute melts. They should be happy they witnessed a new star being born.

_________________
hmm:
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 19254
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by BarrileteCosmico on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:24 am

Betty La Fea wrote:
Anyways
Spoiler:

お疲れ様です Twisted Evil Twisted Evil


Too bad Osaka wouldn't be able to understand your message :whistle:

@Freeza wrote:Also all the fans who booed should be barred from another game. Absolute melts. They should be happy they witnessed a new star being born.


Yeah, absolutely. Disgraceful.

_________________
avatar
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : River Plate
Posts : 23306
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Freeza on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:28 am

Reading on twitter now that McEnroe apparently never got warnings or penalties for bad behaviour.

One of my favourite takes, ever.

_________________
hmm:
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 19254
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:37 am

@Freeza wrote:I’ve never seen any male player go on a 15 minute temper tantrum and call the ref corrupt and a disgrace.

Then again I don’t see much tennis. I think it’s much worse to call out refs integrity than calling them profanity.

Doesn’t change that Serena was an absolute disgrace. Getting outclaasses and then using a single call as a chance to change the focus.


When I was in college, and at the US open(although not this particular match) in 2009 Federer sweared at an umpire with no recourse.


This, along with the shirt thing, is another example of men getting a much larger leash than women players. I can accept differences between the WTA and ATP, but at slams this is too much.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:42 am

@BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Betty La Fea wrote:
Anyways
Spoiler:

お疲れ様です Twisted Evil Twisted Evil


Too bad Osaka wouldn't be able to understand your message :whistle:


Thats one thing I dont get honestly. I can understand if her family has been in America for generations her not being proficient in Japanese, but her mother was born there and raised her. Surely she should be conversationally proficient in the language. I've watched her on WOWOW and even Fuji-TV before and her japanese is quite poor. Maybe sports took precedence, but her mother must take most of the blame of this. You have to give her the language if you want her to have any true connection with her grandparents. The culture,mannerisms,ect isnt enough without the language. She seems to be learning now, and she seems to have a grasp of when it is spoken, but the speaking part needs to come along.

I think she is a very great representation we can have as a Japanese American, but I think the language needs to be there. I am still a big fan though.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Freeza on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:45 am

I think swearing at a ref is better than what she did today though. Saying they’re basically corrupt etc. Is probably the worst you can say without losing your soul.

The whole suit thing was ridiculous though. Already find the clothes requirements ridiculous. Let them wear whatever sporting attire they feel comfortable in.

Still feel she whined for sooooo long today. Was an obvious punishment. Also don’t think that Federer thing is anything close to what Serena did.

There plenty more McEnroe clips etc where he’s rightfully punished for acting like she did.


_________________
hmm:
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 19254
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:48 am

Same umpire did it to venus:
https://twitter.com/ShepherdIdris/status/1038569968416243714?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1038569968416243714&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231038569968416243714

hmm

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:52 am

@Freeza wrote:I think swearing at a ref is better than what she did today though. Saying they’re basically corrupt etc. Is probably the worst you can say without losing your soul.

The whole suit thing was ridiculous though. Already find the clothes requirements ridiculous. Let them wear whatever sporting attire they feel comfortable in.

Still feel she whined for sooooo long today. Was an obvious punishment. Also don’t think that Federer thing is anything close to what Serena did.

There plenty more McEnroe clips etc where he’s rightfully punished for acting like she did.



It was a ridiculous call for a final though. The coach violation thing is an insinuation(against her) that she is a cheat and not one any athlete at her level can allow go unchecked.

He could throw that coach out if it was such an issue. Especially when coaching always happens. Nadal's uncle was the WORST at this, and he was NEVER called out. Nadal could barely dig in his own ass without Toni giving him instruction.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Freeza on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:58 am

Agreed. What Serena did was a great move. Instead of moving in just smash your racket, call the ref a third and liar while crying and say you’re a mother as if that’s somehow relevant.

What she got was equivalent of getting a yellow for diving. If a player complained to a ref for 15 minutes straight after that I’d gladly send him off myself.

It’s obvious she took her frustration about losing out on the ref.

_________________
hmm:
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 19254
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:01 am

@Freeza wrote:Agreed. What Serena did was a great move. Instead of moving in just smash your racket, call the ref a third and liar while crying and say you’re a mother as if that’s somehow relevant.

What she got was equivalent of getting a yellow for diving. If a player complained to a ref for 15 minutes straight after that I’d gladly send him off myself.

It’s obvious she took her frustration about losing out on the ref.


I agree she handled it poorly, and her emotions got the best of her, but I think we can all agree that that umpire shouldnt be handling a final anymore. A quiet apology would have ended this relatively quick. Serena, giving her history with the USTA/US Open understandably was on edge, and he should have took charge of the situation without making the match about himself.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Freeza on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:06 am

She made the match more about herself though.

I can't for the life of me see how anyone can condone her behaviour.

Also don't see how the ref should've apologised. She should've just took her penalty, which was according to the rules, and played on.

It obviously wouldn't have been a problem for her if she weren't getting killed all game.

Just a sore loser exercising her power and popularity trying to force an apology out of a ref. Even threatening him by saying he'll never ref one of her games again Laughing


She reminded me of why I'm happy Ronaldo is out of Madrid.

_________________
hmm:
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 19254
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by BarrileteCosmico on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:15 am

Betty La Fea wrote:
@Freeza wrote:Agreed. What Serena did was a great move. Instead of moving in just smash your racket, call the ref a third and liar while crying and say you’re a mother as if that’s somehow relevant.

What she got was equivalent of getting a yellow for diving. If a player complained to a ref for 15 minutes straight after that I’d gladly send him off myself.

It’s obvious she took her frustration about losing out on the ref.


I agree she handled it poorly, and her emotions got the best of her, but I think we can all agree that that umpire shouldnt be handling a final anymore. A quiet apology would have ended this relatively quick. Serena, giving her history with the USTA/US Open understandably was on edge, and he should have took charge of the situation without making the match about himself.


Lol what. Come on man, everyone agrees Serena took it way out of proportion. The ref acted the right way. The argument should be that this action should take place more against men, not to penalize him for using the rulebook against Serena.

Betty La Fea wrote:
@BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Betty La Fea wrote:
Anyways
Spoiler:

お疲れ様です Twisted Evil Twisted Evil


Too bad Osaka wouldn't be able to understand your message :whistle:


Thats one thing I dont get honestly. I can understand if her family has been in America for generations her not being proficient in Japanese, but her mother was born there and raised her. Surely she should be conversationally proficient in the language. I've watched her on WOWOW and even Fuji-TV before and her japanese is quite poor. Maybe sports took precedence, but her mother must take most of the blame of this. You have to give her the language if you want her to have any true connection with her grandparents. The culture,mannerisms,ect isnt enough without the language. She seems to be learning now, and she seems to have a grasp of when it is spoken, but the speaking part needs to come along.

I think she is a very great representation we can have as a Japanese American, but I think the language needs to be there. I am still a big fan though.


Let's not let Osaka get out of this guilt free thought. She was born in Japan IIRC, only moved out when she was 3. And she chose to represent Japan internationally. Even if your japanese sucks, if you choose to represent them internationally you should go the extra mile and actually get fluent in the language.

Not to mention that Japanese companies are heavy hitters and it would pay off in many millions. For instance KN made more money than Nole last year because of sponsorships.

_________________
avatar
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : River Plate
Posts : 23306
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:25 am

@Freeza wrote:She made the match more about herself though.

I can't for the life of me see how anyone can condone her behaviour.

Also don't see how the ref should've apologised. She should've just took her penalty, which was according to the rules, and played on.

It obviously wouldn't have been a problem for her if she weren't getting killed all game.

Just a sore loser exercising her power and popularity trying to force an apology out of a ref. Even threatening him by saying he'll never ref one of her games again Laughing


She reminded me of why I'm happy Ronaldo is out of Madrid.


It was always about her though wasnt it?

If she won it was her coming back to successfully reach the top after becoming a mother.

If she lost it was about her not being able to reach the top again after becoming a mother.

She was the draw. The greatest women tennis player in history playing against a relative unknown at home. In fact Naomi Osaka is such an unknown quantity that American commentators during the match were joking about just how little is known about her.She likes video games and idolizes Serena....thats pretty much every Japanese American kid who watched tennis during the late 90's-00's, and the video game thing is pretty much every kid ever. She's not exactly a compelling character.

If you watch the ceremony she didnt want to beat Serena because we all love her. Shes the peoples champ to younger Americans who like tennis. It was almost like watching Larry Holmes at the end of the Ali fight. He destroyed Ali, but at the end he was distraught because he didnt really want to do it, but he had to. Osaka did what she had to today, but the draw(even in her eyes) was it being a Serena event because thats what it was.

Serena was embarrassing trying to play the mother card today when arguing, but I think that was symbolic. Shes not the best anymore. She is not the Serena of our childhood who took out the trash with ease. Shes someones mother now....and the countdown on her career is in full effect. Sad

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:47 am

@BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Betty La Fea wrote:
@Freeza wrote:Agreed. What Serena did was a great move. Instead of moving in just smash your racket, call the ref a third and liar while crying and say you’re a mother as if that’s somehow relevant.

What she got was equivalent of getting a yellow for diving. If a player complained to a ref for 15 minutes straight after that I’d gladly send him off myself.

It’s obvious she took her frustration about losing out on the ref.


I agree she handled it poorly, and her emotions got the best of her, but I think we can all agree that that umpire shouldnt be handling a final anymore. A quiet apology would have ended this relatively quick. Serena, giving her history with the USTA/US Open understandably was on edge, and he should have took charge of the situation without making the match about himself.


Lol what. Come on man, everyone agrees Serena took it way out of proportion. The ref acted the right way. The argument should be that this action should take place more against men, not to penalize him for using the rulebook against Serena.

Betty La Fea wrote:
@BarrileteCosmico wrote:

Too bad Osaka wouldn't be able to understand your message :whistle:


Thats one thing I dont get honestly. I can understand if her family has been in America for generations her not being proficient in Japanese, but her mother was born there and raised her. Surely she should be conversationally proficient in the language. I've watched her on WOWOW and even Fuji-TV before and her japanese is quite poor. Maybe sports took precedence, but her mother must take most of the blame of this. You have to give her the language if you want her to have any true connection with her grandparents. The culture,mannerisms,ect isnt enough without the language. She seems to be learning now, and she seems to have a grasp of when it is spoken, but the speaking part needs to come along.

I think she is a very great representation we can have as a Japanese American, but I think the language needs to be there. I am still a big fan though.


Let's not let Osaka get out of this guilt free thought. She was born in Japan IIRC, only moved out when she was 3. And she chose to represent Japan internationally. Even if your japanese sucks, if you choose to represent them internationally you should go the extra mile and actually get fluent in the language.

Not to mention that Japanese companies are heavy hitters and it would pay off in many millions. For instance KN made more money than Nole last year because of sponsorships.


I agree Serena went overboard, but giving her history at the US Open I could see where she came from. He shouldnt have had to apologize, but the maturity of an umpire in that situation could have easily did a

"Im sorry you think that, it wasnt aimed at you but at mouratoglou. That is why"

but he choose to try to argue back with her, and let it completely boil over.

As far as the language thing goes I think it falls on the parent. Most schools dont offer Japanese so if there is any learning it has to come from an outside source where a parent takes charge. Her dad is haitian and even can speak better japanese than her so there is no excuse for her mother not pushing it to a fluent level. As far as representing Japan she has proven to be a marketing sensation even before winning. She is easy to advertise as she is beautiful in a traditionally Yamato way. Nice bone structure


I think picking Japan over America was a brilliant strategy.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by BarrileteCosmico on Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:00 am

Wasn't much of a strategy/choice. The US ignored her.

_________________
avatar
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : River Plate
Posts : 23306
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by El Gunner on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:26 am

Betty La Fea wrote:
@Freeza wrote:She made the match more about herself though.

I can't for the life of me see how anyone can condone her behaviour.

Also don't see how the ref should've apologised. She should've just took her penalty, which was according to the rules, and played on.

It obviously wouldn't have been a problem for her if she weren't getting killed all game.

Just a sore loser exercising her power and popularity trying to force an apology out of a ref. Even threatening him by saying he'll never ref one of her games again Laughing


She reminded me of why I'm happy Ronaldo is out of Madrid.


It was always about her though wasnt it?

If she won it was her coming back to successfully reach the top after becoming a mother.

If she lost it was about her not being able to reach the top again after becoming a mother.

She was the draw. The greatest women tennis player in history playing against a relative unknown at home. In fact Naomi Osaka is such an unknown quantity that American commentators during the match were joking about just how little is known about her.She likes video games and idolizes Serena....thats pretty much every Japanese American kid who watched tennis during the late 90's-00's, and the video game thing is pretty much every kid ever. She's not exactly a compelling character.

If you watch the ceremony she didnt want to beat Serena because we all love her. Shes the peoples champ to younger Americans who like tennis. It was almost like watching Larry Holmes at the end of the Ali fight. He destroyed Ali, but at the end he was distraught because he didnt really want to do it, but he had to. Osaka did what she had to today, but the draw(even in her eyes) was it being a Serena event because thats what it was.

Serena was embarrassing trying to play the mother card today when arguing, but I think that was symbolic. Shes not the best anymore. She is not the Serena of our childhood who took out the trash with ease. Shes someones mother now....and the countdown on her career is in full effect. Sad


who's we? hmm
I know Osaka and I, ain't.

_________________
avatar
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 13081
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 21

Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:39 am

@BarrileteCosmico wrote:Wasn't much of a strategy/choice. The US ignored her.


It was a choice because there were plenty of of American tennis players who were ignored by the USTA that still represent the US.

@El Gunner wrote:
Betty La Fea wrote:
@Freeza wrote:She made the match more about herself though.

I can't for the life of me see how anyone can condone her behaviour.

Also don't see how the ref should've apologised. She should've just took her penalty, which was according to the rules, and played on.

It obviously wouldn't have been a problem for her if she weren't getting killed all game.

Just a sore loser exercising her power and popularity trying to force an apology out of a ref. Even threatening him by saying he'll never ref one of her games again Laughing


She reminded me of why I'm happy Ronaldo is out of Madrid.


It was always about her though wasnt it?

If she won it was her coming back to successfully reach the top after becoming a mother.

If she lost it was about her not being able to reach the top again after becoming a mother.

She was the draw. The greatest women tennis player in history playing against a relative unknown at home. In fact Naomi Osaka is such an unknown quantity that American commentators during the match were joking about just how little is known about her.She likes video games and idolizes Serena....thats pretty much every Japanese American kid who watched tennis during the late 90's-00's, and the video game thing is pretty much every kid ever. She's not exactly a compelling character.

If you watch the ceremony she didnt want to beat Serena because we all love her. Shes the peoples champ to younger Americans who like tennis. It was almost like watching Larry Holmes at the end of the Ali fight. He destroyed Ali, but at the end he was distraught because he didnt really want to do it, but he had to. Osaka did what she had to today, but the draw(even in her eyes) was it being a Serena event because thats what it was.

Serena was embarrassing trying to play the mother card today when arguing, but I think that was symbolic. Shes not the best anymore. She is not the Serena of our childhood who took out the trash with ease. Shes someones mother now....and the countdown on her career is in full effect. Sad


who's we? hmm
I know Osaka and I, ain't.


Osaka's profile literally has her being a serena fan as a defining characteristic. Look at the ceremony and its quite apparent she wasnt happy.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:30 pm

@El Gunner wrote:
Betty La Fea wrote:
@Freeza wrote:She made the match more about herself though.

I can't for the life of me see how anyone can condone her behaviour.

Also don't see how the ref should've apologised. She should've just took her penalty, which was according to the rules, and played on.

It obviously wouldn't have been a problem for her if she weren't getting killed all game.

Just a sore loser exercising her power and popularity trying to force an apology out of a ref. Even threatening him by saying he'll never ref one of her games again Laughing


She reminded me of why I'm happy Ronaldo is out of Madrid.


It was always about her though wasnt it?

If she won it was her coming back to successfully reach the top after becoming a mother.

If she lost it was about her not being able to reach the top again after becoming a mother.

She was the draw. The greatest women tennis player in history playing against a relative unknown at home. In fact Naomi Osaka is such an unknown quantity that American commentators during the match were joking about just how little is known about her.She likes video games and idolizes Serena....thats pretty much every Japanese American kid who watched tennis during the late 90's-00's, and the video game thing is pretty much every kid ever. She's not exactly a compelling character.

If you watch the ceremony she didnt want to beat Serena because we all love her. Shes the peoples champ to younger Americans who like tennis. It was almost like watching Larry Holmes at the end of the Ali fight. He destroyed Ali, but at the end he was distraught because he didnt really want to do it, but he had to. Osaka did what she had to today, but the draw(even in her eyes) was it being a Serena event because thats what it was.

Serena was embarrassing trying to play the mother card today when arguing, but I think that was symbolic. Shes not the best anymore. She is not the Serena of our childhood who took out the trash with ease. Shes someones mother now....and the countdown on her career is in full effect. Sad


who's we? hmm
I know Osaka and I, ain't.


Also to reiterate this since you are African and probably dont fully understand just WHAT Serena means to kids(well those of us who were kids during her ascension to the greatest player ever) of color in America. She was/is huge for us. She was for a lot of kids, the reason any of us started watching Tennis. She was the kid from the wrong side of the tracks who made good, and we were able to see ourselves in her, and celebrate her victories.



Go to 8:30 on the video. Hell, her dad pretty much took the Richard Williams playbook on coaching her and her sister. Without Serena there is no her quite literally.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by El Gunner on Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:45 pm

I can assure you Osaka entered that match wanting to win, and if not now yet, in the next few days, she'll realise she is even more happy she won instead of Serena.

_________________
avatar
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 13081
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 21

Back to top Go down

Re: The official Tennis thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 34 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum