jibers
Busby Babe
29 posters

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

Louis van Gaal - Page 6 Empty Re: Louis van Gaal

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:48 am

I watched the match.

To me, typical van Gaal team. A lot of possession, though not especially brilliant in the final third.
A very high line, full backs pushing up very high; but then not enough pressure on the ball when it's lost and not enough balance for a safe defense.

First goal Shaw loses the aerial duel, guy can run behind and cross to the guy between defense and midfield, sunday shot.

Little anyone can do, as the organization is such that once a 'mistake' happens (a lost duel) it is hard to defend for the CBS if the midfielders are to far upfield.
Blind was not there in the space and Herrera clearly wasn't fit enough to go these distances.

2nd goal, one CB goes forward to intercept something (Jones?), again lost duel, miles of space between Rafael and Rojo, bingo.
Jones probably was told to go forward to intercept passes in the 5-3-2, as there it's his job, in the 4-3-3 it's problematic, there should be a midfielder in that space to defend.

2 shots, 2 goals, while Utd pass around the box all game.

I've been in your shoes, it's a systemic thing. Too high line with not enough defensive cover, one 'mistake' happens there's danger.
It's too risky as LvG leaves his defenders with no room for error. And then you have defenders with little match practice and routine, that's what can happen.

You'll just have to outscore the opposition.

Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:59 am

Yeah, that's true Leicester had 5 shots - 5 goals, MK Dons 7 shots - 4 goals and West Brom 2 shots - 2 goals. We'll end up buying a CB for £40 mil next year, and scratch our heads when we have the same issues, a bit like Liverpool right now.
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:47 am

hmm thats an intersting observation. So what should we do ? Outscore the opposition each time? If these decisive errors are part of LvG's 'philosophy' then whats the alternative to that. confused

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:59 am

well I'm not necessarily saying it's part of his system, but as far as I can remember we always had this feeling of missing balance, of pending danger, with him.

Now this was the first time you played that particular formation People say it was 4-2-3-1, was it? But it seemed to me Herrera played quite further ahead than Blind, so maybe more a 4-3-3?
Actually after maybe 10 seconds there was a similar situation as the 1:0 - Shaw is VERY advanced, space behind him exploited, Blind does not/ cannot really commit to covering that space as Herrera is not there in the middle, cross, shot from out of the box
http://livetv.sx/de/showvideo/212577_west_bromwich_manchester_utd/

They need to develop the understanding who covers for who, and also you got to hope your CBs stay fit so a pairing can develop.
You have to hope mistakes become less so that you'll indeed outscore the opponent, but I think you'll have to be prepared to never feel fully safe, unless LvG goes back to a massive 5-3-2 as with Holland, which he won't and shouldn't as it's not pretty.
Carrick will be back too, he'll have a role to play there.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:01 am

Van Gaal improved Holland by playing 3-5-2, obviously that didn't work for us, but maybe play two DMs, Carrick and Blind, or even Valencia since he did a good defensive job vs Everton. Carrick is still unfit/aging so Valencia might be the answer. Blind just isn't fast/mobile enough to cover everything by himself. Perhaps this is why he still wants Strootman.
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:09 am

yea I can see him definately putting carrick in the scheme of things against chelsea in place of mata. 2 DMs and herrera in an advanced midfielder sort of role.
Thats the only we way can even have a chance against them.

Valencia paired with blind is also not a bad alternative considering he has a burst of pace up his sleeve and can compensate for the lack of mobility of blind. Blind can become the brain and valencia the limbs. or the rider and the horse Cool

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:19 am

Busby Babe wrote: Valencia might be the answer.

RED, you hear that? Proud
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:22 am

Herrera wasn't fit and bad, so Blind was overwhelmed alone.
For the second goal too as there Fellaini was further upfront, DiMaria was in the center but had just gotten injured and didn't help Blind who was simply passed around chasing for the ball.
Jones made a stupid and mistimed charge forward which was a couple of meters off, Rafael messed up the offside line...
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:27 am

Hapless_Hans wrote:

Laughing

ffs, I hate Valencia too, but he might be our Schweinsteiger hmm
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:41 am

now go wash out your mouth with soap Mad
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:00 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:

He could do a job if played in a similar role that he played against Everton. He had his best game in years in that match (which is not saying much).

Who would have thought... Shocked
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:05 pm

Yeah, Hans is right, we're conceding less shots on goal than the past two seasons, but are conceding more goals.

Louis van Gaal - Page 6 B0i829ZIUAA5vns

Tbf, though, it's only one more goal than under Fergie, and that freak Leicester game heavily effects the average
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Let's play system that made us look like a bunch of clowns earlier this season v poor teams against a top 4 rival, great idea.

He's had a mare today. Completeand utter mare from the tactics to the team selection.

If fellaini and long balls are his idea of philosophy, then he can stick it……

Worst half performance v arsenal ive seen in years. Not even moyes was this bad against them last season
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:29 pm

I have a lot to say right now, but I fear I might be knee-jerking so I'll wait awhile and see if I still feel the same Laughing
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:00 pm

i don't understand why Herrera can't get back in the team tbh

and why we aren't playing diamond anymore when that is the best we've looked all season is with the diamond.

and ffs these injuries need to stop
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:29 pm

Before the World Cup van Gaal set up to use a 3-5-2/4-3-3. After he beat Spain he said he used the 3-5-2, because no matter if it is 0-0, 1-0, 0-1, Spain will continue to attack and throw bodies forward. Arsenal is the same. So the 3-5-2 meant he chose to concede possession and hit them on the counter. In that respect, even if Arsenal scored in that first 30 mins, just like Spain did in the world cup, we probably would have still scored anyway as Arsenal would have continued to attack. He wanted to use a 4-3-3 vs Australia, but the players convinced him to continue to use a 3-5-2, they struggled changed to a 4-3-3 when he brought Depay on I'm sure you all remember the rest. Fwiw, I don't think he should have used the 3-5-2, I think we got lucky.

On the diamond, he said we struggled in the last 30 mins in matches, Leicester, West Ham and Everton. So I don't think it's coming back. The criticism I will give though, is if he always knew the 4-3-3 was what we would be striving for, the end point. Then he should have bought players that fit a 4-3-3 not a diamond.
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:40 pm

do want Depay in january if we buying 4-3-3 players :coffee:
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:39 pm

There's also Reus hmm Maybe even Isco hmm In any case we'll have to buy more than winger, since both Januzaj and Depay are quite young.
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:22 am

Dortmund struggling doubt they sell Reus before summer...plus he's out with an ankle injury until january i believe
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:14 pm

I was thinking summer included. If it wasn't for Reus' low clause I might think we should go somewhere else, too injury prone over the last season and a half.
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:38 pm

Game of Thrones actress Carice van Houten mimes LVG’s Man United quotes on Instagram

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/wags/game-of-thrones-actress-carice-van-houten-mimes-lvgs-man-united-quotes-on-instagram/

Laughing

Van Gaal should mime her next press conference imo

Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:46 pm

haha brilliant.

she's quite hot too.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:07 pm

Beginning to have doubts over him.

- insists in playing a system that clearly doesn't suit us. Needs to stop being so stubborn.
-trying to fit in all our attacking players in the first 11. Doesn't sub rvp enough no matter how poorly he plays.
- we're  playing football as bad as last season. Lack of creativity up front and at the back we look awful.
-injuries have increased,  which looks as a result of intense trainings sessions. We've had injury problem in the past few seasons, but not this bad.
-baffling substitutions when things are not going well,  or when we're on the front foot. Subbing the wrong players, changing the systems when there is no need. Putting players in the wrong positions or positions that hinder our momentum.
-Keeps picking Evans who in every game he starts for us, looks a serious liability. Surely blackett or mcnair can't do no worse?
Also starting fletcher who looks finished at this level.

We've spent huge money,  yet we seem to get by on luck for the most part,  rather than overall quality. Our home games,  we look good(at times,  due to clinical attackers and de gea), but our away form is abysmal. Can you count on one hand games where we have dominated from start to finish? Hull, qpr, newcastle?  1st half away v spurs?  Thats it imo.

We seem fortunate that ars, lfc, everton are not as good as last season otherwise our 3rd place position would be under more threat,  may not even be there.

Its not all doom and gloom,  he's done well to get us 3rd,  with the constant injuries of players. But there are seeds of doubt that is beginning to concern me,  and it all came to a head from viewing our match v yeovil.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:16 pm

I think he still plans on buying more players that suit his style....still a bunch of deadwood in the squad and players like Fletcher and Fellaini don't meet his requirements for midfielders that he needs to play his system

plus we have legit no real pace aside from Di Maria
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:24 pm

I'm still on Team Van Gaal, but personnel is not an excuse. I think Di Maria is the first sub that's made an impact this season. His subs are generally poor.
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:27 pm

well our squad is generally poor tbh besides the players in the starting 11, even more so with injuries

I know there has been some strange decisions like players coming on for players in different positions that didn't need a sub coming in and such....but in general our bench is just pretty crap.
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next