Should there be bronze medal game at WC?

+10
Zealous
Ganso
BarrileteCosmico
VivaStPauli
rwo power
BusterLfc
Hapless_Hans
MaraVilla
McAgger
Art Morte
14 posters

Go down

Bronze medal game

Should there be bronze medal game at WC? Vote_lcap55%Should there be bronze medal game at WC? Vote_rcap 55% 
[ 11 ]
Should there be bronze medal game at WC? Vote_lcap40%Should there be bronze medal game at WC? Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 8 ]
Should there be bronze medal game at WC? Vote_lcap5%Should there be bronze medal game at WC? Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 20

Should there be bronze medal game at WC? Empty Should there be bronze medal game at WC?

Post by Art Morte Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:53 am

Van Gaal, for one, is against the bronze medal game, saying it has "nothing to do with" football.

It does feel completely pointless to me, too, just one more money-making match. Does anyone really care who finishes 3rd and 4th? I don't. It should be scrapped, imo.

Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Should there be bronze medal game at WC? Empty Re: Should there be bronze medal game at WC?

Post by McAgger Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:11 am

I agree. Should be scrapped.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Should there be bronze medal game at WC? Empty Re: Should there be bronze medal game at WC?

Post by MaraVilla Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:20 am

if you aint first you're last!
MaraVilla
MaraVilla
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:23 am

Van Gaal also is against penalties and for that ridiculous idea of taking players off every few minutes, so we should not take him too seriously.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by BusterLfc Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:10 pm

No I'm not against it. It should be played.
BusterLfc
BusterLfc
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:00 pm

I'm all for it. I remember the third place matches of 2006 and 2010 pretty fondly as they were entertaining, open matches of teams who just wanted to put on a show for the audience as a finish of their World Cup run.

Last edited by rwo power on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:01 pm

Yes, because you finally get to see two great teams play each other without any of the pressure.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:29 pm

Probably not but a (usually open) match between the 4th and 3rd best teams is not a thing to pass on.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:33 pm

It sucks for the teams, but it's fun for everyone else.I'm all for it.If the coaches don't like it then just play a B team.
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:02 pm

It's been around since the 50's and is usually a credit to the tournament overall.

What's this obsession with changing the format? Are you telling me these guys can't spare two days to play one extra game for their country/fans?
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:06 pm

It's just a glorified friendly. There's not a third-place play-off in the Euro's, not in the Champions League... I don't understand why we have it in the World Cup. Open, no-pressure football belongs in the pre-season friendlies, not in the World Cup. Fans & players of both teams have been devastated just days before and then you make them play a meaningless match. Completely unnecessary and pointless.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:13 pm

They are usually fun games to watch, but I wouldn't be bothered if they were to scrap it.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:50 pm

It's a good thing, it gives the surprise teams of the tournament to take a medal home at give them something to treasure forever. It might not be great for top teams. But if Denmark were in the semi final I would be more than happy to win the bronze, and if it wasn't played it would be a waste. There also a bronze game in a lot of big sports tournaments, so I don't get the hate.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:12 pm

Yeah but friendlies suck.

I'm a fan so I'm all for it because the matches tend to be pretty entertaining.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Absolutely not.

The only time this game makes any sense is when a minnow reaches the semi final. So after being eliminated they are happy to get one more chance to display their quality on the world stage.

This time it's a rare exception whereby Brazil will welcome it. They just want some way of leaving behind an image different from the utter humiliation of Tuesday and this match gives them that chance.

For Netherlands it's a completely different story. Asking players like Robben and Sneijder who have narrowly lost in the final stages twice in succession and are now almost sure to end their careers without a world cup trophy to play in one more match (which is nothing more than a glorified friendly) so soon is nothing short of CRUELTY. To say that players of this quality need to get a third place for pride is beyond ridiculous.

Robben said clearly this was not the kind of competition he cared about. van Gaal went even further and said that he's been asking for the abolishment of this game for ten years. There is only one award and that is for the champion.

Yes this match is a tradition but traditions can be changed. It was a tradition to qualify the world cup winner automatically to the next tournament but that has been changed.

Still this match is going to happen no matter how much I hate the prospect of it. So the best thing coaches can do is throw all those players on the pitch who didn't get much game time including even goalkeepers. Throw all tactics out of the window and ask players to just go out and express themselves. The result whatever it is can be sent straight to hell.

That said I will still watch the match because I just feel happy about having watched the maximum possible number of matches in a world cup. I won't concentrate at all though preferring instead to recline and be lost in my own thoughts.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down