M99
Firenze
Kaladin
RealGunner
Blue Barrett
13 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Malazan Book of The Fallen, anyone? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malazan Book of The Fallen, anyone?

Post by Kaladin Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:59 am

Speechless

Spoiler:

Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Malazan Book of The Fallen, anyone? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malazan Book of The Fallen, anyone?

Post by Kaladin Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:58 pm

Just started MoI, God, i forgot how much i missed Quick Ben, WJ and Paran.

Spoiler:
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:58 pm

:bow:
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:16 pm

El Shaarawy wrote:Speechless

Spoiler:

Molenation

That shift from "Gardens of the Moon is more enticing" to speechless xD

And yes, chronologically MoI takes place at the same time as Deadhouse Gates on Genabackis.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:48 pm

Finished Memories of Ice

Spoiler:
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:08 pm

Molenation

can't believe it's been 4 years since I read that book, seems like a few months ago, don't remember all the little details tbh, could answer a few of your ponderings but it's better if you read on and find out, some of them you'll be waiting ages to find out though Laughing
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:04 am

Just bought the whole series. Gonna start reading slowly once I'm done with ADWD.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:22 am

btw it cost me $3.75 per book Proud

McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:00 am

Its a tough read in the beginning McAgger, there's literally no exposition to help you understand some of the mythology and higher powers. You have to pick up hints here and there, basically you have to work to like it, but it definitely pays off imo
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:16 pm

Gah I don't like the sound of that. I need to get hooked right away to really get into a series. I'm still going to give it a shot. I do love fantasy genre so the fact that it should pay off later on is a good enough reason I guess.

Do you mean the whole first book is dry? Or just getting used to the authors style, kind of like Tolkien with LOTR?
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:43 am

Well Erikson has a very dense style which can take some getting used to if you're not used to it. While there is, as Erikson puts it, no "exposition that serves no other function than telling the reader about back story, history, or whatever. If my exposition doesn't have multiple functions – and I do mean multiple – then I'm not satisfied." part of the magic of the series is discovering how the Malazan world works through the different perspectives of characters.

You wont know what the f is going on but you will get hooked and find out. The best part is that you will eventually find out the answers to everything.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:48 pm

After watching episode 1 of Season 5 Game of Thrones I got reminded of

GoT S5E1/Deadhouse Gates:
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:53 pm

I can see the similarities Molenation
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue May 05, 2015 4:06 pm

Just finished Karsa's arc in HoC

There needs to be a whole movie made up until his he starts traversing the Pan'Potsun
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Sat May 16, 2015 3:48 am

Karsa is a f****** legend.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sat May 16, 2015 12:38 pm

I'm 3/4 done with HoC, what a book it has been so far :bow:

I'll write up my thoughts once i finishe it in the next week and a half or so

Also, if you're reading this Dante, did you start reading hmm
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Sat May 16, 2015 2:26 pm

El Shaarawy wrote:I'm 3/4 done with HoC, what a book it has been so far :bow:

I'll write up my thoughts once i finishe it in the next week and a half or so

Also, if you're reading this Dante, did you start reading hmm

nah not yet , but soon enough . I told you , i'll start in the summer , a few weeks from now. I could start right now i guess , but i have this book i am reading(Prince of Fools) and don't want to mix things up with such a massive read like Malazan ( besides current series is amazing , i can't just leave it aside or read anything else untill i found out what happens )

thankfully i am halfway through it and by all means i will finish it before June , so yeah , let's just say i am almost there on the hypestation , ready to jump on the Malazan hypetrain Proud

hopefully i get to like it as much as you guys do and i still remember the advice to read heavily whenever i read . That's why i decided to leave it for the summer , 3 months of reading just Malazan should be plenty heavy reading
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat May 16, 2015 3:29 pm

I really want to start reading the series but I need serious discussions of it while reading to get me going and since this thread isn't as active as the ASoIaF thread - can anyone recommend a good forum where a dude like me could ask questions, read discussions, theories etc...

(It goes without saying, with no assholes spoiling stuff from later books)
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sat May 16, 2015 3:42 pm

http://www.reddit.com/r/Malazan/

Best i could find, since spoilers are marked

Though, only M99, Firenze and Phritz have completed the series. I'm usually the only one active here, and i post my thoughts after each book (You can go back a few pages, and read them if you want Smile) Phritz comes here once in a while, and Dante is starting the series soon. I'm down for discussing in this thread with you guys if you want, its just been me and Phritz the past 8 months (Which is why this thread isn't quite active Laughing)
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat May 16, 2015 3:47 pm

I think I'll start rereading it this summer. Read the complete series just once, lots of things I forgot tbh.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Sat May 16, 2015 4:25 pm

i will be joining you guys don't worry Proud
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat May 16, 2015 4:38 pm

Proud

ES Molenation
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Sat May 16, 2015 4:55 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:I really want to start reading the series but I need serious discussions of it while reading to get me going and since this thread isn't as active as the ASoIaF thread - can anyone recommend a good forum where a dude like me could ask questions, read discussions, theories etc...

(It goes without saying, with no assholes spoiling stuff from later books)

Phritz wrote:SES if you're looking for discussion; info etc. which tiptoes around spoilers I've seen a lot of people recommend http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen.

It's basically detailed summaries of each chapter and well written reactions by a first time reader and a series veteran (who doesn't spoil but provides his take on Amanda's reaction and his reaction from rereading the series)

When I first skimmed it I only checked what Amanda and Bill wrote but upon rechecking it it seems the comments section has some good posts as well. I do recommend checking it out - this series has a lot to keep track of.

The Malazan sub-reddit is probably your best bet for "live" discussion and questions apart from niche fantasy book forums.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sat May 16, 2015 5:23 pm

I forgot about the Tor rereads, they're quite helpful :bow:

I'd occasionally go there every few chapters, the comments are quite good aswell, but some of them were spoiler-ish. You'll be fine if you read Amanda's summaries though, Bill too, they don't spoil at all
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Mon May 18, 2015 1:15 am

Haha I just read that Bill had the same instinctual reaction to Warrens as I did (Wizardly Travel Portals xD)

And omg SES. Tehol and Bugg hype, you're getting closer =D
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:26 pm

Just finished HoC

Spoiler:
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next