windkick
Great Leader Sprucenuce
CBarca
Winter is Coming
The Franchise
34 posters

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Rest of the Football World Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Rest of the Football World Thread

Post by The Franchise Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:41 pm

Which is what disappointed me greatly. I thought Wenger had finally realised, or accepted the challenge of really going for the title.

Still, Welbeck didnt cost that much less than Mandzukic did he?

The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Rest of the Football World Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Rest of the Football World Thread

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:55 am

I see the signing of Alexis in an entirely different light. He signed a player he did not need (granted a very good one when played centrally) when it was glaringly obvious he needed a CF and a DM. Same as last season. But he refused to sign both again. Alexis' signing did not prove anything.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:03 am

Sure, but there is no way a few years ago Wenger would have signed Alexis regardless.

What it did prove to me (or so I thought) was Wenger had realised that with the team he has they are capable of winning something if they just add the right players who are quality performers now, not 2-3 years down the line and would sign players accordingly.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:03 am

Or maybe Wenger actually thinks Welbeck was underused at Utd and will actually be great relatively right away for Arsenal. Which would surprise me.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:59 am

The Franchise wrote:Sure, but there is no way a few years ago Wenger would have signed Alexis regardless.

What it did prove to me (or so I thought) was Wenger had realised that with the team he has they are capable of winning something if they just add the right players who are quality performers now, not 2-3 years down the line and would sign players accordingly.
I think all it proved was that Wenger has more money now thanks to the new TV deal which allows him to buy Oezil's and Alexis', players he considers to be very good and for a good price. But he's still not willing to splash for the best talents, even in positions he needs to address. Although frankly you don't need to splash to get a better DM than Flamini or a better CF than Giroud.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:13 am

The Franchise wrote:Or maybe Wenger actually thinks Welbeck was underused at Utd and will actually be great relatively right away for Arsenal. Which would surprise me.

Nah, I think by the fact Utd went hard for Falcao on the final day is what it seems made Wenger opt for Welbeck. He pretty just sat around and waited until a solid but un-finished talent would become available due to being surplus. Its pretty much the only way he will get a top player (ozil because bale arrived, alexis because suarez arrived, welbeck because falcao arrived. Yet he could of got Carvahlo, a player he needed and he walks away. Same with Rabiot, the player himself wanted Arsenal and Wenger refused to increase offer any; he gets so stubborn with the wallet

Wenger frustrates me so much. Seems he is always one purchase away from having a team capable of constantly winning titles. Instead its like he always takes one step forward and then one step back. So his teams for the most part always feel lacking
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:17 pm

Think your both right.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:57 pm

Going into general section and seeing people say "Busquets is overrated" and "no one pays attention to him" makes me realize why I hate that place. I guess it's more about staying away from the bad threads.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:31 pm

Hilarity really. As I said there, I now silently use Busquets as a gauge to see which posters actually have a clue and which dont.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:48 pm

CBarca wrote:Going into general section and seeing people say "Busquets is overrated" and "no one pays attention to him" makes me realize why I hate that place. I guess it's more about staying away from the bad threads.

The argument was started by a Barca fan though. Which means you can't stay safe in this section either. Proud

Personally I don't have a problem if someone has the opinion that Busquets is overrated. Although I don't quite see how as he rarely gets any recognition at all. He started the 10/11 season as a WC winner and ended it as a CL winner, nailed on starter in such a pivotal position for the most dominant club and country sides and didn't even make the 23 man Ballon d'Or shortlist. While the likes of Fabregas did while sitting on the bench for country, fighting for 4th place trophy and missing half the season due to injury in England and failing to adapt in Spain.

And yes, I also secretly use how people rate Busquets as a benchmark of their football understanding, followed by Messi vs. Ronaldo.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:51 am

because he doesn't score a 30-40 yard goal every once and a while he'll forever be regarded as overhyped in the gl general section.
Laughing
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:47 pm

John Terry said: 'Fabregas is associated with tiki-taka but at Chelsea we've always played this way: pass the ball, control games, and give ourselves more options going forward.

rofl rofl rofl
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:59 pm

So far in La Liga
Real Madrid 6/12 pts
Atletico Madrid 8/12 pts
Barca 9/9 pts

if we win tomorrow we'll be in a very comfortable position.. especially with the tight fixtures we have coming up it's nice to have some breathing room, a loss still leaves us ontop.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:50 pm

Liverpool's defense is a joke lol

Sucks, I hate Utd and was hoping the top 4 would stay as is from last season but I Liverpool might make it easy for Utd to climb back in
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:23 pm

I think Man Utd will get stronger as the season progresses and the players truly understand what Van Gaal wants.

Pool are struggling at the moment. Cant help but feel like the signings they made arent quite good enough to cope when someone like Sturridge is missing.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:30 pm

Their defense was equally chit last season but they managed to outscore opponents and overwhelm them particularly in the first half. Without Suarez they were never going to keep that up and with Sturridge's injury proness it will be even harder.

United are underrated now because of last season and their start to the current season. But Fletcher-Cleverley with Young and Valencia wide is not how they will play for the rest of the season and Moyes is gone. Once they get into rythm they are the 2nd best team in the league behind Chelsea for me.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:12 pm

Doubt liverpool can mount any challenge with baLoLtelli..chelsea are runaway favourites followed by man u.
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:35 pm

Why do people ignore City? They did just win the league.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:41 pm

There is something very unconvincing about City. I can't quite put my finger on it. Might be their CL record.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:25 am

City arent a team of the level of say Invincable's Arsenal, nor Duff-Robben-Drogba Chelsea or the Man Utd of Tevez, Cristiano and Rooney but for me they are the best team in the PL.

In Europe they are so niave its incredible however. Yaya has to be played as a 10, with added protection behind him he is free to cause havoc on the counter. Or second to that, Silva who for me is the best in his position must be played as the 10. But Yaya further back, Silva wide and 2 strikers isnt something they can pull off against the best Europe has to offer.

But in the PL, they are still a very strong force.

Chelsea look good, no denying that. But we will see tomorrow closer to their true level. All this well constructed attacking play and leaky defence is fine vs the teams they faced so far but leaving that space to City is doom. They going to have to park bus and we see how the likes of Cesc and Hazard cope then.

The second problem they have is Cesc has gone AWOL post Jan like 8 years in a row.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:13 am

Dani, did you watch us against any of the big teams last season?

We park a mean bus and are very good on the counter, Plus, Costa comes from that environment so he will do well there too.

We're not going to give them any space at all. You can count on that.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:42 am

You obviously dominated the matches last season other than Atletico. I am very sure you will do a similar game this season.

But thats the point, to play this way it means Cesc playing as a CAM, not part of the midfield 2. It means Ramires and it means a right sided player who is chosen for hard work rather than quality. So we wont see the impressive attacking force of Chelsea we have seen so far this season, we will see the "big game" version which isnt scary to me, albeit very tough to beat.

So, I dont know what Chelsea's true level is. What they will do against the best teams.

Last season obviously you did very well so I dont expect you to be worse obviously. But Costa seems injury prone and Cesc always goes missing. So if those two things remain true, are you actually better than last season (big games, not generally)?
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:48 am

I actually think we'll run out with a 4-3-3 today.

Courtois
Ivanovic Cahill Terry Azpilicueta
Matic
Ramires Oscar/Cesc
Willian Costa Hazard

I am not sure I want to see Cesc today, he'll be a liability regardless of position. I'd rather see Oscar start.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:07 am

Me too, but in essence I see it as the same thing as playing Cesc as a 10. Your giving 4 players (Matic, Ramires, Hazard and Willian) more defensive responsibilities.

What is interesting to me is what will Chelsea do. I will assume Cesc would close down the deepest midfielder. I think he cant even do this well. So putting someone like Yaya would there would ideal because he has great pass range and play balls over the top.

But I also think Chelsea will play with a deep line and therefore there will be no space for balls over the top and Cesc will simple have to get behind the ball rather than apply pressure.

So, playing Yaya in the deep position turns into a negative because he will get forward and will leave the spaces Chelsea want to counter attack into.

So its an interesting tactical game today.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:26 am

Hence why I want Oscar to start over him.

Oscar Matic and Luiz completely nullified their midfield in our last match. Oscar Ramires and Matic can do the same this time.

I don't trust Ramires in the pivot so I'd rather see a 4-3-3 today.

I have faith in Jose's tactics though.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:10 pm

United lose 5-3 lol

Should Pep and Bayern Munich gone for Di Maria? He's just simply amazing and too good for that mediocre United side. I feel him being Robben successor would've been a massive for them. I also feel he's Pep type of player.
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next