LeSwagg James
Hapless_Hans
RealGunner
Tomwin Lannister
Onyx
55 posters

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Champions League: Group Stage Draw discussion - Page 14 Empty Re: Champions League: Group Stage Draw discussion

Post by RealGunner Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:26 pm

A question regarding last night's match between Napoli and Bilbao

How is this not offside?

https://vine.co/v/Ml9M3ME2gUt

RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Champions League: Group Stage Draw discussion - Page 14 Empty Re: Champions League: Group Stage Draw discussion

Post by RedOranje Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:36 pm

It technically is.

But the offsides rule is all kinds of wonky and the referee/linesmen blew the call.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:02 am

Clear offside.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:10 am

Surprised Napoli didn't complain? or they did?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:43 am

Not in the least big surprised by our group. Always a risk when you're in pot 4.

Since we're not favorites to progress, we are under less pressure than if we had landed in an easier group. That said, we still need to make an impression. The goal is to get out of the group and to do that I think we're going to need either Bayern or City's scalp while doing the double over CSKA. For a side as good as the one I think we have, that's attainable. Is it enough to get out of the group? We'll see.

Either way, I want us to either progress or to go out all together. Worst thing that could happen is ending up in the Europa league where we won't get as much money and still have a packed calendar to contend with, which hinders our ultimate goal of the scudetto.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:00 am

Just to address the earlier conversation, it absolutely would be a failure if we finished below Basel.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:12 am

El Cujo wrote:Just to address the earlier conversation, it absolutely would be a failure if we finished below Basel.

Said it before and I'll say it again... utter nonsense.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:13 am

I also agree. RedO is dead wrong here. Would be a massive failure if we can't finish above Basel and Ludo.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:24 am

Yeap.If we cant finish 2 and qualify then will be a massive failure.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:29 am

Massive failure in your first year in the CL under an inexperienced manager and squad?

Bit harsh.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:35 am

RealGunner wrote:Massive failure in your first year in the CL under an inexperienced manager and squad?

Bit harsh.

Massive failure when your opponents are Ludo and Basel, YES. Specially after spending 120+million in one summer. Ludo are some pub team in some village in Bulgaria with all due respect. Basel have sold all of their important players that made them so dangerous and their manager Murat Yakin. Now they have some garbage reject manager that couldn't make a living in the second division of English football.

If we were in a group of death then I would say sure, it's not a massive failure. But this is as great a draw we could've asked for.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:52 am

Let's write off the entire season (of 4, perhaps 5 competitions) all with regard to what may well come down to a single match or goal difference because we're all too myopic to give another club the proper respect it deserves.

I'd call it unbelievable but then I know most of you too well to find such short-sightedness and hyperbole that surprising.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:55 am

Dude we're talking about CL here. Our CL campaign will be an absolute failure if we don't progress through the groups.

I said nothing about the rest of the season. We could just as well go to El and win the goddam thing Proud Maybe do a cup treble or win the league.

I was speaking just about the CL campaign.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:03 am

I agree it would be CL failure for Liverpool if they can't finish 2nd.. You finished 2nd in the league last year ffs
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:07 am

Don't call me James wrote:Dude we're talking about CL here. Our CL campaign will be an absolute failure if we don't progress through the groups.

I said nothing about the rest of the season. We could just as well go to El and win the goddam thing Proud Maybe do a cup treble or win the league.

I was speaking just about the CL campaign.
And I'll say again, I've known you all long enough to know that for the most part that isn't the case. The knee-jerk and doomsaying will be about the season if we should finish third in the group.

And with absolutely no regard to the surrounding circumstances.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by S Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:08 am

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwJT9UcCYAAx9DD.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwJT9T2CQAAlSX-.jpg
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by archwooohh Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:23 am

Watching the CL as a neutral this year (f'n Moyes)..... why are the group stages a bunch of rematches?

Seriously, who drew these groups? Bayern-Man City? Barca-PSG? Arsenal-Dortmund? Chelsea-Schalke?

At least Real Madrid isn't facing Ajax this year Laughing
archwooohh
archwooohh
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:01 am

Which of these minnows have the potential to surprise us? By surprise, I mean doing better than 4th:

Malmo
Ludogorets
Anderlecht
APOEL
Maribor
BATE
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:23 pm

RedO you can sit on your high horse all you want, but it's not like your whole 'level headed' approach isn't wrong at times either. You just recently told me that you 'couldn't help me' because I discounted that Rodgers said we were categorically not signing Balotelli...and yet he's with us now.

Just because you don't set your expectations high for the club doesn't mean that others can't. I think most people out there would consider it embarrassing to fall out of the CL to one of Basel or Ludo.

NEO ‏@WELCOME_VIDAL 6h
TRICKY DRAW FOR UNITED. NO HOME FIXTURES. OR AWAY. AND NO OPPONENTS. VERY DIFFICULT FOR THEM TO PROGRESS

I'm dying. rofl
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:52 pm

It'll be a failure if we cant finish second in that group.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:05 pm

For Liverpool, it would be failure if they cant progress out of that group (will likely finish 2nd). Come on...it would be utter embarrassment to finish 3rd or 4rth in that group. And one big game vs Real could put them first. Just remember Real is great at hammering the minnows, so the goal differential could be a difference
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:13 pm

Let's put it this way that in a 38-game league we would finish ahead of Basel, but in a CL group it's certainly possible they'll finish above us. They've got some legit players.

However, our last match of the group is Basel at home and it could be the decider between which one goes through. If so, then we should take care of the business in that game, it would be a failure to, ermm, fail to do that.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:23 pm

In Liverpool's case they should go through to the Round of 16. However that's not the only competition they will be playing in. If they can balance the league/cup and the CL then they will be fine but if not then it could get tricky.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:46 pm

windkick wrote:Just remember Real is great at hammering the minnows, so the goal differential could be a difference

In CL head to head counts ahead of goal difference so not worried about them hammering minnows.

I'm pretty confident that we can do well against them specially at home. Just need to keep the head to head favorable after the Bernabeu fixture.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:51 pm

Champions League: Group Stage Draw discussion - Page 14 34xl09f

ffs talk about luck
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next