why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by sree999 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:13 pm

Overpaying for matheiw and injury prone vermalen when benatia was available. Forgive me if their names where spelled wrong.
avatar
sree999
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Posts : 284
Join date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by MaraVilla on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:22 pm

cause zubi and co are a bunch of idiots. we let thiago slip  2 years ago and Benatia this year  :facepalm: I cant even think of a logical reason as to why getting WC CB isnt top priority for the last 3 seasons  Mad

Vertoghen was offered to us for like a 10m and we didnt even consider it whilst we pay 20m for an injured verm Mad Mad Mad Mad :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

_________________
Arya, Queen of the North  :bow: 

avatar
MaraVilla
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 1991
Join date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by windkick on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:37 pm

@sree999 wrote:Overpaying for matheiw and injury prone vermalen when benatia was available. Forgive me if their names where spelled wrong.


No one knows. They keep thinking that our current defenders are good enough, because we actually don't give up that many goals. But what Zubi and co. fail to see is that it's because of our godly midfield that helps keep the ball from being slammed against our defenders. Fact is, we needed some real defenders for once, and we started the season with mascherano and he got a red and Bartra finally came on lol.

utterly ridiculous

_________________
Luis Suárez : "Nutmegs were my only option."
avatar
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 5960
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 35

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by CBarca on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 pm

There is no logical reason, it's because Zubi and the board are failing.

_________________
Beer and guns
avatar
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 16646
Join date : 2011-06-17
Age : 22

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by windkick on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:31 pm

Hey, but at least we signed DOUGLAS!!

_________________
Luis Suárez : "Nutmegs were my only option."
avatar
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 5960
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 35

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by The Franchise on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:32 pm

Why? Probably because they think Pique is world class, Bartra will be world class and Verm not long ago used to be world class.

Rest of the world know none of that is true.
avatar
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 18855
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by REWB on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:49 pm

you are blaming your board for not signing benatia and t.silva? Laughing barca cant get silva and benatia wanted to go to bayern, who are quite frankly a more attractive proposition atm. There are not many world class defenders out there that are available, go on give me names?

hummels? not available, looks like he's becoming a one club man it seems, unless somebody pays stupid money, 60m+.

i heard dani mention mangala once? haha Laughing he is not proven yet, hasnt even got a cap for france.  

so who do you have left?

_________________
avatar
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Southampton
Posts : 5433
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by The Franchise on Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:10 am


@REWB wrote:you are blaming your board for not signing benatia and t.silva? Laughing barca cant get silva and benatia wanted to go to bayern, who are quite frankly a more attractive proposition atm. There are not many world class defenders out there that are available, go on give me names?

hummels? not available, looks like he's becoming a one club man it seems, unless somebody pays stupid money, 60m+.

i heard dani mention mangala once? haha Laughing he is not proven yet, hasnt even got a cap for france.  

so who do you have left?


What an awful post on so many levels.

Firstly, not Thiago Silva today...Thiago Silva when he left Milan to go to PSG.

Second, of course Benatia would have come if we went for him. He didnt "want" Bayern anymore than he wanted to leave Roma for something better. We could of wrapped up Benatia before Martinez was injured and thus Bayern wouldnt of even been in for him.

Mangala not proven? Well, why dont you sell Koscienly back? Why dont we sell Neymar back? Both were unproven...turns out, they are actually quite good at football after all...
avatar
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 18855
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by REWB on Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:31 am

@The Franchise wrote:
@REWB wrote:you are blaming your board for not signing benatia and t.silva? Laughing barca cant get silva and benatia wanted to go to bayern, who are quite frankly a more attractive proposition atm. There are not many world class defenders out there that are available, go on give me names?

hummels? not available, looks like he's becoming a one club man it seems, unless somebody pays stupid money, 60m+.

i heard dani mention mangala once? haha Laughing he is not proven yet, hasnt even got a cap for france.  

so who do you have left?


What an awful post on so many levels.

Firstly, not Thiago Silva today...Thiago Silva when he left Milan to go to PSG.

I was not talking about back then, or replying to anyone's post in particular i just named t.silva as he is one of the few that falls under the "world class" defenders tag, there are basically two or three "world class" defenders atm benatia and silva, so I am talking about this summer, can barca get him? no.

Second, of course Benatia would have come if we went for him. He didnt "want" Bayern anymore than he wanted to leave Roma for something better. We could of wrapped up Benatia before Martinez was injured and thus Bayern wouldnt of even been in for him.

Don't talk like you know the ins and out of what goes on in transfers, there are many things we and the press don't know, bayern was always looking for defenders, martinez injured or not injured. Both barca AND bayern have been rumoured to be interested in benatia for a long time, benatia may have rejected barca and chosen bayern, this is what most likely may have happened.

Mangala not proven? Well, why dont you sell Koscienly back? Why dont we sell Neymar back? Both were unproven...turns out, they are actually quite good at football after all...

This thread is about "world class" defenders, mangala hasnt proven to be world class yet. if the OP said "why have barca not signed a decent defender" then maybe you can make this statement.


@The Franchise wrote:Why? Probably because they think Pique is world class, Bartra will be world class and Verm not long ago used to be world class.

Rest of the world know none of that is true.


lmao this is what you think of the FC barcelona board? really? you think they are that dump? zubi, barcelona legend, been in football for god knows how long, doesnt know what good defenders are? but you do? Laughing barcalona brought in two defenders, so the barca board knows there are problems at the back. so now are you telling me that they dont know benatia is a top defender? or they weren't really in for him??? Laughing

chill guys "world class" CB's are extremely hard to get because there are so few of them.

_________________
avatar
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Southampton
Posts : 5433
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by vivabarca38 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:11 am

Benatia said he wants to join a big team and listed us as an example so there is no reason he would not want to join us unless a better propisition came along.Bayern-Benatia rumours only started after Javi got injured, we had until that time to atleast try and get him.

Clearly the biggest idiot in the World Zubi and his cronies already had a number of idiotic targets and completely forget about Benatia, although we should have broken the bank to get him(and one other defender who has very good potential or is pretty good already)especially since there's a transfer ban imposed and we wont have two spend money for two years.
avatar
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach
Posts : 1730
Join date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by REWB on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:57 am

@vivabarca38 wrote:Benatia said he wants to join a big team and listed us as an example so there is no reason he would not want to join us unless a better propisition came along.Bayern-Benatia rumours only started after Javi got injured, we had until that time to atleast try and get him.

umm when did i say he wouldnt want to go to barca? he would, i just said in a battle between bayern/barca, where he can only choose one, bayern might have been his preferred destination at the time.

nope http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/388623/Bayern-Munich-set-to-swoop-for-Man-City-Man-Utd-Chelsea-and-Liverpool-target-Benatia

http://www.italianfootballdaily.com/bayern-munich-makes-offer-benatia/

i just listed two report but there are so many more its silly, all before martinez's injury. The martinez injury may have made them more eager, but they were always in for him. benatia may have had a verbal agreement with bayern for all we know.

Clearly the biggest idiot in the World Zubi and his cronies already had a number of idiotic targets and completely forget about Benatia, although we should have broken the bank to get him(and one other defender who has very good potential or is pretty good already)especially since there's  a transfer ban imposed and we wont have two spend money for two years.

they forgot about benatia...Laughing

well bayern were willing to break the bank also sooo..

_________________
avatar
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Southampton
Posts : 5433
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by vivabarca38 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:06 am

You listed the dailystar as a source Laughing.That'll be all for now
avatar
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach
Posts : 1730
Join date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by Winter is Coming on Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:51 am

@REWB wrote:
@vivabarca38 wrote:Benatia said he wants to join a big team and listed us as an example so there is no reason he would not want to join us unless a better propisition came along.Bayern-Benatia rumours only started after Javi got injured, we had until that time to atleast try and get him.

umm when did i say he wouldnt want to go to barca? he would, i just said in a battle between bayern/barca, where he can only choose one, bayern might have been his preferred destination at the time.

nope http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/388623/Bayern-Munich-set-to-swoop-for-Man-City-Man-Utd-Chelsea-and-Liverpool-target-Benatia

http://www.italianfootballdaily.com/bayern-munich-makes-offer-benatia/

i just listed two report but there are so many more its silly, all before martinez's injury. The martinez injury may have made them more eager, but they were always in for him. benatia may have had a verbal agreement with bayern for all we know.

Clearly the biggest idiot in the World Zubi and his cronies already had a number of idiotic targets and completely forget about Benatia, although we should have broken the bank to get him(and one other defender who has very good potential or is pretty good already)especially since there's  a transfer ban imposed and we wont have two spend money for two years.

they forgot about benatia...Laughing

well bayern were willing to break the bank also sooo..

They could have, but he wasn't a target for them till a week ago, were as we were linked to him since June and could've got the signing done before August if we wanted.

_________________

"I pass and I move, I help you, I look for you, I stop, I raise my head, I look and, above all, I open up the pitch...The one who has the ball, is the master of the game...That's the school of Joan Vilà, of Albert Benaiges, of Johan Cruijff, of Pep Guardiola" - Xavi

Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 3649
Join date : 2013-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by CBarca on Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:16 am

Fact of the matter is, if we were in for him on a very serious level before Javi's injury, we would have gotten him. That's a failure of the board to let him slip through our grasp.

Hopefully he flops for the sake of the board- from their perspective, I mean.
avatar
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 16646
Join date : 2011-06-17
Age : 22

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by Hapless_Hans on Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:52 am

@The Franchise wrote:
Second, of course Benatia would have come if we went for him. He didnt "want" Bayern anymore than he wanted to leave Roma for something better. We could of wrapped up Benatia before Martinez was injured and thus Bayern wouldnt of even been in for him.


That is true, but at the same time not quite that simple imo.

Because RWE is right, we were 'interested' in Benatia already earlier this year. Getting another CB was clearly a thought for us. So some groundwork might have been already there.

Then, we decided not to pursue him and to content ourselves with what we have.
Just as you decided for other targets.
I could imagine both had to do with the price Roma were asking.

I could imagine at the beginning of the window he was a hyped commodity and many top clubs looking for defenders.
Roma either gambled too high, the guy said publicly they wanted 60m etc., or didn't want to really sell him, or a combination of both.

Then there probably wasn't that much interest anymore as clubs had gone for other targets, and that's when Javi got injured and we got back in.
Also by then it became clear Benatia wasn't extending but pushing for an exit, whereas before maybe he was more coy since he thought he had alot of options.


So I guess my point is the price for which he went at last is not necessarily the price Barca (or anyone) would have had to pay earlier in the window.
Let's say 40m, for example.

Now I don't disagree you'd probably better 'broken the bank' for him than paying a lot, if less, for Vermaelen.

But my uninformed, speculative guess would be that you actually didn't really have the money after the Suarez transfer, at least not 'allocated'.
i.e. they were fine with spending a lot on Suarez, but then they were apparently not fine with spending a lot on a defender like Benatia. Especially since you also needed a RB, it seems.

Boils down to what you said weeks ago. Priorities. And disregard for defensive players, one might add.

_________________
avatar
Hapless_Hans
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : FC Bayern
Posts : 23993
Join date : 2013-09-17

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by CBarca on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:10 pm

REWB you say not to assume what goes on in transfers yet you keep claiming he would prefer Bayern.

Let's say we show serious interest early on. We're Barcelona. We offer him a starting spot.

In what world does he refuse that? A decent offer (30-40m later on in the summer) and Roma accept too.

_________________
Beer and guns
avatar
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 16646
Join date : 2011-06-17
Age : 22

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by danyjr on Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:50 am

Would you have signed Dante instead for the same money you paid for Vermaelen/Mathieu?

_________________
avatar
danyjr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Boca Juniors
Posts : 4659
Join date : 2012-02-24

http://www.tikitakatoom.tk

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by free_cat on Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:22 pm

Zubi and Bartomeu.

end of thread.

_________________
avatar
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 8544
Join date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by The Franchise on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:23 pm

REWB, your posting level is too poor for me to respond to. I dont have the energy to go back and forward with someone with as poor logic as you.

Thats just FYI, because I wanted you to know I did see your reply.
avatar
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 18855
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by The Franchise on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:24 pm

@danyjr wrote:Would you have signed Dante instead for the same money you paid for Vermaelen/Mathieu?


Verm yes, Mathieu no.
avatar
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 18855
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by danyjr on Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:38 pm

@The Franchise wrote:Verm yes, Mathieu no.

Then I think you could have. From Dante's point of view, I think he would rather want to play as a main CB for a top team like Barça as opposed to playing second fiddle to Boateng and Benatia.

_________________
avatar
danyjr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Boca Juniors
Posts : 4659
Join date : 2012-02-24

http://www.tikitakatoom.tk

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by The Franchise on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:55 pm

I agree. Not saying I would have been delighted if we finished the summer with Matheui and Dante either mind you...I find Dante too clumsy, both in the tackle and with the ball. Good in the air and a decent athlete for his size though.
avatar
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 18855
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by futbol on Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:43 am

@sree999 wrote:Overpaying for matheiw and injury prone vermalen when benatia was available. Forgive me if their names where spelled wrong.


Seems like Benatia wasn't available.

Mehdi Benatia has obviously continued with his pattern of outright fabrications over the last couple of months.  We had a verbal agreement on compensation and a raise back in July in Boston.  He personally said to me that he was happy after I told him flat out with no exceptions that we wanted him to stay.  Over the following month he lied about wanting to stay and about the details of his compensation to both Rudi Garcia and his teammates.  Lying to me was one thing which I can somewhat handle. Lying to Rudi Garcia and his teammates was completely unacceptable to me.  I told Walter Sabatini he was becoming a poison and I wanted him gone, and Rudi and Walter agreed.  It wasn’t about the money; it was about having character in our locker room.  We are in a very sound financial position.  As owners of Roma, we make difficult decisions all the time.  As a fan of Roma, I am deeply disappointed that one of our players could act this way.

http://www.asroma.it/en/news/statement_by_james_pallotta_september_8/

Bayern simply got lucky with the timing of the Martinez injury.

_________________
"The shape looks good."


futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle
Posts : 10425
Join date : 2012-11-24

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by Hapless_Hans on Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:58 am

Fußball wrote:
Seems like Benatia wasn't available.


Bayern simply got lucky with the timing of the Martinez injury.


sure, if that's what you choose to tell yourself to make you feel better Laughing

_________________
avatar
Hapless_Hans
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : FC Bayern
Posts : 23993
Join date : 2013-09-17

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by BarrileteCosmico on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:17 am

We didn't even make a formal offer, just an inquiry. Fact is we wanted a left footed CB.

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussball/bundesliga/1409/News/mehdi-benatia-wollte-beim-as-rom-bleiben-serie-a-bayern-muenchen-javi-martinez.html

_________________
avatar
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : River Plate
Posts : 23136
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: why has barca failed to land a world class defender .

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum