Eman
Raptorgunner
djoe26
Sina
VendettaRed07
41 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Danny Welbeck - Gunner Galactico - Page 3 Empty Re: Danny Welbeck - Gunner Galactico

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:01 pm

Welbeck is legit imo, crap finishing mainly due to him being indecisive at times but all in all he is a decent player and is only going to improve when he gets steady playing time and NOT as some sort of 2nd full back workhorse.

Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Danny Welbeck - Gunner Galactico - Page 3 Empty Re: Danny Welbeck - Gunner Galactico

Post by MJ Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:02 pm

tbh it's much more likely that Podolski goes to accommodate anyone like Reus. Since Poldi was so close to the exit door before Giroud's injury and has played like 3 minutes this season, we're probably watching his final campaign with us.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:06 pm

Can't wait to see him do stuff like this:
https://vine.co/v/M2Yu2QhvndY

that work rate:
https://vine.co/v/MVwpxapPzEK
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:09 pm

Good piece here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11069558/Danny-Welbeck-transfer-evidence-of-English-policy-at-Arsenal-and-galactico-policy-at-Manchester-United.html

Welbeck, after all, is a player who, only three years ago, was such a key part of Manchester United’s 8-2 annihilation of Arsenal. Just two years ago he was being hailed by Sir Alex Ferguson as the future of United when he signed a new contract. And only last year, it was Welbeck who Ferguson trusted above Wayne Rooney to start the most important match of the season against Real Madrid in the Champions League. It would be fascinating to know what Ferguson is thinking this morning. Rio Ferdinand was certainly in little doubt. “Welbeck is a top signing for Arsenal,” he said this morning.

Welbeck certainly fits Wenger’s profile. He is the ideal age, he is versatile in providing options across the front three positions and he is British. That last point is surprisingly significant just now at Arsenal. After Cesc Fabregas, Gael Clichy, Samir Nasri and Robin van Persie all left, Wenger very consciously decided to rebuild his squad around a core of young British players. The thinking, quite simply, was that they were more likely to show loyalty to his project than signings from abroad.

Hence the faith that has been shown over recent seasons in both good times and bad to Aaron Ramsey, Jack Wilshere, Kieran Gibbs, Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. The signing of Calum Chambers also reflects this strategy. None of this is to say that Wenger will not supplement his group with overseas talent but it is a deliberate strategy to build around a more local group who will hopefully all want to reach their potential together.

The one immediate reservation about Welbeck for Arsenal is whether he really can provide the sort of quality that is lacking in the main central striker’s role. Another player who is actually better suited out wide – like Walcott, Lukas Podolski and perhaps Alexis Sanchez or Joel Campbell – is not what Arsenal currently need. Their immediate wish is for a player who will stand up and become the focal point of the attack and effectively link all these intricate wingers and midfielders.

It is far from certain whether Welbeck can perform this role but it will be fascinating to watch him try.
Ferdinand, his old team-mate, is certainly confident. “If he gets that trust to be No 1 striker at AFC he will flourish and explode,” he said. And one thing he will get at Arsenal, certainly more now than at Manchester United, is that trust and chance to fulfil this raw potential.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:40 pm

"The talented forward had a photoshoot on Thursday, where he wore his new colours for the first time."

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140902/welbeck-the-first-pictures

Thursday....

Unless it's a typo, looks like he really was our target from the start and we were just waiting for United to sign a striker.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RedMamba Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:49 pm

Sina wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bwi2sE9CYAAExQt.jpg

Danny Welbeck transfer evidence of English policy at Arsenal and galactico policy at Manchester United

more like clueless panic policy at both clubs Very Happy
RedMamba
RedMamba
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:53 pm

We were linked with him since it became clear that United would sell a few weeks ago. Same goes with the Özil transfer, this wasn't a last minute thing.

Along the same lines, we were apparently in talks with City all day over taking Nastasic but couldn't get it done.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:55 pm

Yea agreed. Don't think it was a panic buy either.

Dortmund were demanding £24m for Sokratis so we stepped down as well
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:55 pm

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Features/2014/Sep/Video-paying-tribute-to-Danny-Welbeck.aspx?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=ManUtd

Well done, United. Appreciate the gesture. Class act.

EDIT:
Local lads are always respected at Manchester United and Longsight-born Danny Welbeck has certainly left the club with everybody’s best wishes for the future following his deadline-day transfer to Arsenal.
The 23-year-old England international has signed a four-year contract with the Gunners after deciding to call time on a six-season career at Old Trafford during which he netted 29 goals in 142 appearances, while also winning three major trophies.

Highlights of Welbeck’s United career include scoring on his Premier League debut against Stoke City, heading an expertly-taken opener against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu and winning the 2012/13 title – the club’s 20th top-flight championship.

You can see these highlights and more in our special tribute video. Good luck Danny.

(They also have one for Shinji)

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:58 pm

Only worry is with Wellbeck versatility, Arsene might be tempted to play him wide again Mad
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:59 pm

Lol he WILL play him wide at some point mate.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:02 pm

Danny Welbeck vs Olivier Giroud: Will Arsenal's new signing be able to fill injured Frenchman's boots?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/danny-welbeck-vs-olivier-giroud-4148956#ixzz3CBd6WmIG
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:19 pm

Initially I couldn't believe this. I mean, the amounts of times I bad-mouthed Welbeck with my mates and on twitter. I was bitter pill for me to swallow, because I don't rate the lad.
But today I had a twist of thought. I agree that he has good technical ability, has good pace and has good movement. It's just his finishing and decisions that sometimes is so utterly poor.
But now he is an Arsenal player, and remember I always have extra bit of dislike towards United players, so maybe I really didn't dislike him that much in theory. But yeah, as I said now he is an Arsenal player, and as every other player at Arsenal, I'm always behind the players and always hope they excel at this club. Yes, even still Özil Razz
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:23 pm

He'll be accepted into the Arsenal family once he scores the winner against United
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:48 pm

It is quite interesting to see the shift in policy among the top clubs in England of late. United, so famed for their consistency in bringing through and holding onto Academy & English talent is suddenly opting to spend big on foreign, mature players while Arsenal and Liverpool, so often maligned for their supposed lack of English core (Gerrard, Carragher aside for LFC) now appear to have very explicit and direct aims of bringing in and developing younger English players. There also seems to be a significant increase in the amount of business between the tradition "Big 4" in recent seasons than I remember from the past... though that may simply be my memory playing tricks on me. Chelsea selling to Liverpool, Arsenal selling to Manchester United (and vice versa) and it only expands if we include the gatecrashers of recent times. I've always found it odd that Italian rivals trade and deal between them but it seems to be a trend coming more and more to English football as well.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:20 pm

Before Silvestre joined Arsenal, 5 players had left United to join Arsenal in total.

In that same time span, 7 had left Arsenal for United.

In the Post Silvestre Era (yes, that's an era now :coffee: ) two have interchanged in the past two years.

So, from 12 transfers in total in both clubs' 120 year + history or 1 per decade approx. to two in two years.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:25 pm

Think Arsene was really heartbroken by Cesc, Nasri and RVP betrayals. It's not that the British players are more 'loyal', but it's less likely for them to move to elsewhere unless pushed away like Sturridge was in comparison to the other players who all end up wanting their dream move elsewhere either for their home countries or just for money like Nasri or RVP.

Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Ferdinand, Carragher, Carrick and even Giggs. Most either homegrown or brought in from smaller clubs were at their clubs for years without ever wanting a move out. All gave their best for their clubs and spent their prime years helping the club achieve something instead.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:44 pm

I suppose with United needing an almost immediate renovation of their squad and there being a lack of quality English players on the market, it was inevitable that they'd look more at foreign talent. Plus they've a Dutch manager who has never managed in England before and therefore probably wouldn't know much about the home-grown talent here.

Despite that, a quick count reveals they've still got 7 English players, which falls in the average range of English players at Premier League clubs (between 7 and 9, by my count). That's much better than Chelsea's pitiful count of 2 English players, by far the lowest in the league. Perhaps their cycling through foreign coaches is responsible for that number.

The thing with English players is that there's a very, very good chance that they won't move abroad. Trading of English players happens almost entirely domestically. So once they're at the bigger clubs, there's a good chance they won't move because the only teams who will try are the other big English clubs. They get paid well, too; better than they could in a lot of places else where. So really, their "loyalty" is just not having many incentives to go else where.

Last edited by GoonerJay29 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:46 pm

RealGunner wrote:Think Arsene was really heartbroken by Cesc, Nasri and RVP betrayals. It's not that the British players are more 'loyal', but it's less likely for them to move to elsewhere unless pushed away like Sturridge was in comparison to the other players who all end up wanting their dream move elsewhere either for their home countries or just for money like Nasri or RVP.

Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Ferdinand, Carragher, Carrick and even Giggs. Most either homegrown or brought in from smaller clubs were at their clubs for years without ever wanting a move out. All gave their best for their clubs and spent their prime years helping the club achieve something instead.

RG keeping the hype up Very Happy I don't think he cares much, that trio Barkley- Ramsey - Jack though :bow:
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:00 pm

There is not a market for English players outside of the EPL do to them being over paid and their transfer fess being to high for their quality.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:06 pm

The case of Welbeck’s close friend, Daniel Sturridge, is potentially also instructive. Like Welbeck at United, Sturridge was rarely trusted to play in his preferred position at either Manchester City or Chelsea.

He became peripheral and, when he left in search of first-team football, it was easy to justify the sale. Sturridge scored six times in 32 games at Manchester City and then 24 in 96 at Chelsea. It made for a ratio of less than a goal every four games. Welbeck’s strike-rate of just over a goal every five games is almost identical.

Also almost identical is the age at which they have started a new chapter in their careers. Sturridge was 23 – the same age as Welbeck now – when he moved to Liverpool and has subsequently rewarded Brendan Rodgers’s faith with 36 goals in 52 matches.

It has been a threefold improvement. “I’ve grown up with Welbs and I think he’s unbelievably talented,” Sturridge says. “We’ve been in similar situations, both wanting to play centrally but being on the wing. Mentally, it plays with you sometimes.

:coffee:
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:09 pm

EL Patron wrote:Only worry is with Wellbeck versatility, Arsene might be tempted to play him wide again Mad

He will be our next RB.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:26 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
The case of Welbeck’s close friend, Daniel Sturridge, is potentially also instructive. Like Welbeck at United, Sturridge was rarely trusted to play in his preferred position at either Manchester City or Chelsea.

He became peripheral and, when he left in search of first-team football, it was easy to justify the sale. Sturridge scored six times in 32 games at Manchester City and then 24 in 96 at Chelsea. It made for a ratio of less than a goal every four games. Welbeck’s strike-rate of just over a goal every five games is almost identical.

Also almost identical is the age at which they have started a new chapter in their careers. Sturridge was 23 – the same age as Welbeck now – when he moved to Liverpool and has subsequently rewarded Brendan Rodgers’s faith with 36 goals in 52 matches.

It has been a threefold improvement. “I’ve grown up with Welbs and I think he’s unbelievably talented,” Sturridge says. “We’ve been in similar situations, both wanting to play centrally but being on the wing. Mentally, it plays with you sometimes.

:coffee:

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:28 pm

Sina wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bwi2sE9CYAAExQt.jpg

Danny Welbeck transfer evidence of English policy at Arsenal and galactico policy at Manchester United

Sad Nooo! It's finally hit home.

So long, Welbz.

You'll always be United through and through in your heart.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:00 am

Best of Luck Welbz. Finally made up my mind to come here and say that...
And One thing I can guarantee you Arsenal pals, he will suit to your style of football much more than he did to ours. So most likey it will only go upwards from here .

Hope he will score a lot against our other rivals. drinking

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:17 am

Danny, how does it feel to be an Arsenal Player?
It's exciting times for me. It's great to be a part of this club and it's a team that I've always watched in the Premier League. I've envisaged myself playing in this team before. For it to finally happen is very exciting.

When you say you picture yourself in the team, is that because of the way Arsenal play and you see yourself as a striker going on to those through balls?
I believe the style of play the manager's got and the boys play and with the magnificent players in midfield slotting balls through, I can run on to the end of those balls and slot them away.

How did the move unfold from your perspective?
It went right down to the wire in the end. It's difficult to say how I felt at the [different] times of each day because the deal was on and then it was off but at the end of the day I'm an Arsenal player and I couldn't be any happier at the moment.

Do you sense that Arsenal are a club on the up?
Yeah definitely. They've done well in recent years and last year we got the FA Cup and I feel like it's time where we could really push on and try and challenge for the Premier League title. I've got one medal and it's something that I really want to add to.

Arsenal fans will know your name and will have seen you play. What are your strengths - what can you can bring to this team?
I'd like to bring pace and power to the game. At Arsenal, we're not short of combination football and I like to join in on that and get in behind defenders and try to get shots off at goal. I want to score some goals and help the team to achieve the right results.

You're still a young man but you've got a lot of experience at the top level already. In what way can this move take your career to the next level?
I've been at United ever since I was a little boy and I had a great time there. I just think this is the next stage of my development - to come to Arsenal, to really show people what I can do as a footballer and hopefully get to the place where I want to be.

You had been at Manchester United for most of your life, so it must have been difficult to leave...
Things move on in life and I think you've really got to make the right decision in the situation that you're in at that moment in time. I really do believe that coming to Arsenal is the right decision.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140903/video-danny-welbeck-s-first-interview

Already saying "we", and sounds like he knows exactly just what he'll bring to the team. Welbz. Proud

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next