RealGunner
Sri
EL Patron
18 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Joel Campbell - Page 2 Empty Re: Joel Campbell

Post by 6unner Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:52 pm

RedMamba wrote:By now we know, wenger doesnt fancy him at CF, and with cazorla, ozil, sanchez, ox, walcott, podolski, welbeck ahead of him, its far fetched.

he'll lucky to get as much mins as gnarby did last season.

AS pitiful as our front line has looked so far I subscribe to this view also.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:57 pm

srigooner wrote:
People have their apprehensions about Alexis playing centrally, yet a younger Campbell, on his first few months in England, after 3 PL games and 2 CL qualifiers, is being 'ignored'.

No apprehension from me. Alexis in the middle with another pacy winger on the left and right to run at people with a proper CAM behind him I think would be real scary. Theo is injured and their is no equivalent for the left though.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:43 pm

I give Wenger until Xmas, thing is he has history of doing this to player, just the way he rate players different from public opinion. We will see, feel for him though, sitting on the bench while former postman wasting oppurtinities on the field.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:23 am

Don't worry Wenger just signed a 3 year extension he will be ok.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:48 am

Very Happy I mean til Xmas to show whether he rate or trust Campbell
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:02 am

Art Morte wrote:
So how many games we need to wait for before saying he's being rated lowly?

See the post from Twoism below. I don't agree that we can throw a youngster new to the league into the deep end and expect him to do a job upfront as a lone striker. One bad game and half the people moaning about his lack of chances will be jumping at AW for not making a CF signing in the window. Get a CF back-up with both potential as well as experience, and people still moan about not giving a chance in the first three weeks to aforementioned youngster. I am not going over these points again.

RedMamba wrote:By now we know, wenger doesnt fancy him at CF, and with cazorla, ozil, sanchez, ox, walcott, podolski, welbeck ahead of him, its far fetched.

he'll lucky to get as much mins as gnarby did last season.

Campbell is versatile and can play across the line. Gnabry is poised for a loan once he return from injury. Each of the players you mention have a different set of skills, just as Campbell has. The coaching staff sees him train everyday and know better than armchair experts as ourselves if he is ready or not. Patience, unfortunately, is what we don't have.

6unner wrote:
No apprehension from me. Alexis in the middle with another pacy winger on the left and right to run at people with a proper CAM behind him I think would be real scary. Theo is injured and their is no equivalent for the left though.

Unfortunately, there has never been an equivalent on the left - with a creative player and a lopsided formation. If you see the balance of the team, with the attacking nature of Debuchy, I don't see this being addressed. We would have needed a mobile CB and/or a very very good DM to pull off that kind of pace across the front line. Let's see what AW does with this now.

Twoism wrote:Very Happy I mean til Xmas to show whether he rate or trust Campbell

Finally some one heeds my call for some patience. Thank you, good sir!

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:21 pm

“Joel, do the best thing mate,” one fan called to the striker Joel Campbell. “Get out while you can, Joel.”

rofl rofl
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:33 pm

That is so disrespectful to boo him. The man has done everything he could to change this club and bring this club to where it is right now and thats how fans reward him. Shame on them! although i agree that Wenger has been below average and may leave but he shouldnt be treated like this.
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:05 am

Poor Joel from having a great WC to getting Bench by a French kid who was suppose to be a mailman but decide to join Arsenal.

Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:58 am

I wanted to write something about playing well in a tournament not being enough to shine in the PL. I wanted to write something about Joel not having proven himself to merit so much fanboyism. Something about his age. Something about patience.

Something about how some of these 'fans' simply disgust me. Something like 'If you don't have some class, go support some thug team with supporters who act like a bunch of orcs outside the stadium on transfer deadline day. Have some pride and have some shame.'

But I can't be too arsed.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:45 pm

djoe26 wrote:That is so disrespectful to boo him. The man has done everything he could to change this club and bring this club to where it is right now and thats how fans reward him. Shame on them! although i agree that Wenger has been below average and may leave but he shouldnt be treated like this.

Just out of curiosity, What would be the proper way to display the displeasure of watching Arsenal go from the great and proud championship years. To the last decade of the Arsenal only 4th place trophy and now mid-table mediocrity.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:04 pm

srigooner wrote:I wanted to write something about playing well in a tournament not being enough to shine in the PL. I wanted to write something about Joel not having proven himself to merit so much fanboyism. Something about his age. Something about patience.

Something about how some of these 'fans' simply disgust me. Something like 'If you don't have some class, go support some thug team with supporters who act like a bunch of orcs outside the stadium on transfer deadline day. Have some pride and have some shame.'

But I can't be too arsed.

Probably would not be bad if it was just playing well in "a tournament". I kind of remember it being multiple tournaments with his NT. Followed by CL and success in Greece. If this was 2011 when we signed him I would find it easier to agree with you. After watching Yaya Sanogo who is younger with less of a resume getting starts while the team performances catapult them down to mid-table though.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:11 am

I don't get the comparisons between Yaya and Joel though. Clearly, they are different players and play different roles and have different skills sets.

If you compare Joel with Ox or Gnabry, it makes sense. If you compare Yaya with Welbeck or Chuks or even Afobe, it makes sense. I just do not get the Joel vs. Yaya shit.

Joel, for me, has the wide forwards ahead of him in the pecking order. Yaya has the physique and presence to play that lone striker role which Giroud and to some extent, Welbeck play - and they are both ahead of him in the pecking order. Heck, even Podolski and Theo are ahead in the queue to play upfront, compared to Joel - who can play anywhere wide or as a SS, but I very much doubt he can lead the line alone up top.

So again. Why the blind comparison?

EDIT: I obviously forgot Alexis is also an option to play up top, although Giroud is probably the only one of the lot who lets the four behind him to play/bounce off him. It's no surprise that Ramsey started improving when Giroud/Sanogo play there.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:25 pm

Except Joel has lead the line for both his NT and also while at Olympiacos.
Remember the Uruguay game. Or any of the others that he was playing with his back to goal just like Giroud does. As for physique no he is not as tall as Yaya. Presence though. Yaya still looks like he is trying to figure out how his body works, lacks control, composure and looks more likely to fall over than not.
As for why there are comparisons. Simple there are many players at Arsenal that have experience playing in many different positions. Joel is one of those that does have experience as a Center Forward at the sr level. When given a chance for both club (not Arsenal) and country he has proven his abilities there. Yaya, well not so much.
Unfortunately, at Arsenal it currently "SEEMS" as though if you are not a Wenger favorite, you will not be given a chance. We have spent the season so far, wondering if someone other than Alexis can score on a consistent basis. Or even can even score more than a single goal a game. We struggle to beat everyone if we actually do win. In a year that Wenger has told us that Podolski has not played because he came back late and was not in shape. We also hear people like Ramsey say that he has just recovered from a nagging injury and is finally getting into shape. With it being safe to say that there have been several players that have received extended minutes that were possibly not the best option due to injuries or fitness. All while other options sit in purgatory.

So why the hate towards Joel? Or is it that questions about Joel are really questions about Wenger?

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:42 pm

I am still not convinced by Joel. I don't get this plays for NT and played for Olympiacos, so will play well as Arsenal CF logic either.
Nor do I get why it is Wenger picking favourites. Do I dislike the fact that Rosicky isn't playing much? Yes. Is it because Rosicky is suddenly not a favourite? What rubbish. The players Wenger puts out aren't his pseudo-sons, the way Fabregas or even Van Persie were.
I am always amused by how people seem to have an idea of who is doing well in training and who isn't, on a daily basis, to be able to retrospectively sit on their armchairs and couches and pass judgement on team selection.
Anyway. It's not a topic I want to debate. My words are not going to channel (what I perceive to be) any misdirected, irrational hate.

Also, my views don't cast me as an AKB or a defender of our wonderful transfer policy. I simply try to base my judgements on what I have see/perceive, instead of Twitter/Media hear-say. Criticism is justified when it is due, but not blind delusional hate speeches.

(6unner - I have strayed from responding to your comment to a more generic remark. That is also why I didn't quote you).

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:13 pm

tbf, Sanogo has a much better scoring record for every other side he's played for, so it's not just Joel who's performed well outside of Arsenal.

And the way he played up front for Costa Rica isn't the same way we play Giroud and Welbeck. Could we find a way to accommodate him in the manner he's accustomed to for CR? I don't know. I think it would require some restructuring that we don't really need to be doing since he's just as good/if not better on the wing. And in that case, he simply needs to fight for his place. I don't think he's better than the Ox or Theo (who still hasn't been around to give him competition) so I'm not surprised he doesn't get consistent minutes.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:52 am

TBF to Joel Campbell, he better get the f out as soon as he can. He isn't a '' special '' talent ( for lack of better word ) , he needs to play a lot to improve and it's not going to happen at Arsenal.
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:54 am

I think Joel is pretty damn good (potentially), but I completely understand the lack of playing time with the much more experienced and mature wide players in our current squad. Heck, even Gnabry has his experiences with the first team - and these two are the most comparable players in terms of age, experience and position. Ox has established himself in the first half of this season.

However, Joel himself seems satisfied at finally being in London and biding his opportunities. He seems like a humble kid and I am beginning to like how he keeps his head down and focuses on being prepared for if/when he is called upon.

It's only our wonderful fanbase, who seems suddenly concerned about his playing time.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:44 pm

Joel :facepalm:

Deceived people with his fluke at the world cup

Eboue > Joel
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:59 am

Had a great game against Swansea.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:30 am

Just saw the highlights - seems too reliant on one foot, definitely something he should work on as a youngster.

That said, I loved his energy and work rate in the highlights. Going to make time to watch the whole game later today.

Man oh man, this kid always performs when I don't watch.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:07 pm

He needed that before Bayern.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin