South Africa's football captain and goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa has died after being shot

+5
El Gunner
CBarca
Bankz
Firenze
Kick
9 posters

Go down

South Africa's football captain and goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa has died after being shot Empty South Africa's football captain and goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa has died after being shot

Post by Kick Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:27 am

South Africa's football captain and goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa has died after being shot, South African police say.

The incident reportedly happened at Meyiwa's girlfriend's house in Vosloorus, south of Johannesburg.

The 27-year-old played for Orlando Pirates and had played in South Africa's last four Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.

On Saturday, he was in action for his club, when they progressed to the semi-finals of the South African League Cup.

In a statement, the South African Police Service said two men had entered the house, around 20:00 (18:00 GMT), while a third man remained outside.

All three fled after shots were fired, in what local media reports say was an attempted burglary.

A reward of about $14,000 has been offered for information leading to the suspects' arrest.

Meyiwa was declared dead on arrival at the hospital.

He started playing for Orlando Pirates, based in the Parktown district of Johannesburg, in 2005.

"This is a sad loss whichever way you look at it, to Senzo's family, his extended family, Orlando Pirates and to the nation.'' said Pirates' chairman Irvin Khoza.

Last year, the Pirates were runners-up in the CAF Champions League. losing 3-1 on aggregate to Al Ahly of Egypt.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29781978?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central
Huge shame, rest in peace.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

South Africa's football captain and goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa has died after being shot Empty Re: South Africa's football captain and goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa has died after being shot

Post by Firenze Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:54 am

rip
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

South Africa's football captain and goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa has died after being shot Empty Re: South Africa's football captain and goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa has died after being shot

Post by Guest Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:22 am

He is Orlando Pirates captain not the Captain of Bafana Bafana.

I wonder how the worldwide media will report this. I don't think he is too known outside of African football circles, but he was a huge deal in South Africa. Great keeper who was Europe-bound and already captain of the biggest side in his nation. A big celebrity who would appear on TV programs, at charity events, and was even dating one of the biggest stars in the country. It seems he struggled with the robbers in some form or fashion though. I don't think those kids went in there intending to kill him...he was pretty widely loved and especially in that city.

I really hope this goes a long way in fixing the murder problem in the country though. Really is a shame how it is, and really is a shame how many great young men like Mewiya have been cut down because of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:46 am

May his soul rest in peace..amen.
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:06 am

RIP Sad
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:05 am

South Africa is a *bleep* up place with crime and gangsters and shit, that's why I don't wanna go and study there.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:12 am

Apparently he was protecting his gf when they shot him

RIP
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:17 am

Yes because crime, gansters an shit only exists in South Africa. Bad things happen all over the world.

Rip Senzo, you deserved better.
Rossoneri Ninja
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:46 am

I wasn't saying that.
All I'm saying is, is that SA's crime rate is higher than your average country in Africa from what I've heard, pls correct me if I'm wrong.
And SA is the only 'worthy' African country to think about if you want to further your studies after school imo.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:06 am

Quite true bud, but if you want to study in SA, then Stellenbosch would probably be your first choice. If that's the case then you will be relatively safe. I responded because as South Africans, only we reserve the right to criticize our country lol
Rossoneri Ninja
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:40 am

El Gunner wrote:I wasn't saying that.
All I'm saying is, is that SA's crime rate is higher than your average country in Africa from what I've heard, pls correct me if I'm wrong.
And SA is the only 'worthy' African country to think about if you want to further your studies after school imo.

That last part is not true at all. What are you trying to study? There are plenty of great educational opportunities there. Multinational corporations like BP even employ and train many new grads to work in high paying oil jobs in places like Angola(Which is booming now).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:47 am

Rossoneri Ninja wrote:Quite true bud, but if you want to study in SA, then Stellenbosch would probably be your first choice. If that's the case then you will be relatively safe. I responded because as South Africans, only we reserve the right to criticize our country lol

Stellenbosch is a terrible school.

Back to top Go down

Post by ronalessi Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:10 pm

I was in Jo'burg, SA, last month. Several parts of the city look like Toronto - roads, highways, malls, etc. World-class health care too. A far cry from Nigeria Laughing

But, I didn't feel safe at some points in SA, especially after I was warned by the locals themselves as to what not to do and where not to go.
ronalessi
ronalessi
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:39 pm

RIP
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down