Shed
rwo power
Donuts
fatman123
Art Morte
70 posters

Page 22 of 26 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Go down

Are you happy with GL's activity? - Page 22 Empty Re: Are you happy with GL's activity?

Post by LeVersacci Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:57 am

Stay on topic 😴

LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Are you happy with GL's activity? - Page 22 Empty Re: Are you happy with GL's activity?

Post by Guest Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:49 pm

The Black Sheep wrote:That might have been a thing of the past...however I have realized this lack of activity since I began posting here and there a few months back.

Also, my focus is more towards the hub (off topic section) and has been for a long while.

Funny enough I noticed the drop off around the time you went ghost a few years back.

Nice to see you are back here though. And even more scary seeing your age as 30 now. Time really does fly..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:23 pm

Please don’t make me feel old Very Happy

This used to be my place for musing (as @mclewis once put it) and I credit GL for a lot of my growth in my early-mid 20’s. I was lost, at time depressed and found solace amongst the forum. I learned so much about myself thanks to many posters and all the interactions/chats that took place.

This place will always have a special place in my heart Heart

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:41 pm

We all grew together here man. 7 years is no joke.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:25 pm

Most of my values come from this place

Without GL I would never have started feuding with everyone I love, pretending life was a WWE match. I would never have learned to believe in conspiracy theories, but thanks to Harmonica, I've changed. I would never have developed a cocaine habit, but thanks to Tom, I'm borrowing money just to spend it on drugs. I would never have been gay, but thanks to ES's suggestions, I am. And being a creep? Who would have thought I could have been that. Only FennecFox could see it in me.

Casual racism against Arabs or Muslims? Thanks Unique. A fetish for Christian Eriksen? Uhh, Freeza, Zigra, come out here and collect your appreciation. Scapegoating Isco for my problems? Chad, where are you man

Thanks to everyone here, I've become the kind of person I never thought I could be.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:39 pm

CBarca wrote:Most of my values come from this place

Without GL I would never have started feuding with everyone I love, pretending life was a WWE match. I would never have learned to believe in conspiracy theories, but thanks to Harmonica, I've changed. I would never have developed a cocaine habit, but thanks to Tom, I'm borrowing money just to spend it on drugs. I would never have been gay, but thanks to ES's suggestions, I am. And being a creep? Who would have thought I could have been that. Only FennecFox could see it in me.

Casual racism against Arabs or Muslims? Thanks Unique. A fetish for Christian Eriksen? Uhh, Freeza, Zigra, come out here and collect your appreciation. Scapegoating Isco for my problems? Chad, where are you man

Thanks to everyone here, I've become the kind of person I never thought I could be.

Plus you'll never be a Mod, here or anywhere else, thanks to the unfair criticism handed to you by GL staff Proud
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:53 am

Ya, forums as a concept might be dying off (would like to see stats and analysis) but i just googled "soccer forums," "football forums," "goal forums," and "real madrid forums," and this site never came up. The place could use re branding (never thought goal legacy was a good name), advertisement, maybe some attractive gimmicks, as it stands this might as well be one of those private communities that needs invitations to join lol. Looks like Reddit pretty much took a dump on forums in general, even if reddit is not actually an optimal experience for discussion as it could be imo.
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:24 am

Another eight months have passed and after rereading this thread I am quite curious to find out, what's everyone's stance of the current activity of the forum?

The way I see it is that we (the community) stopped making real progress a couple of years ago. It has been mentioned before that the level of activity dropped and it was sanctioned that GL isn't having enough new members.

However, I'd rather emphasize that the real progress should be in reassigning some of our values and the numbers will naturally come. I definitely do not want to insult anyone and the ambition fueling this post comes from a feeling of brotherhood. What I am about to say is something I've been thinking at times for a few years now, but I deeply feel that it has been truly proven to me only after the last few years.

As much as it is nice to stay loyal to your values, there comes a time when you must contemplate on your identity. It's been a long journey and many years since we've become part of this community and like it has been said before, many of us went from kids to grown ups in the process.

I think the problem is that we are stuck on the same values as 7 years ago and it's not necessarily natural. Our values are constantly reflected in the way we choose to behave. We are what we value. But, all of us went through a lot IRL and probably even transformed from the core, therefore we might realize that what we valued before we don't necessarily value anymore.

Yet, it feels like the forum didn't change at all, which is weird and unnatural. I am not saying we should avoid banter or change anything in particular. We should stick with what we do best, but at the same time, it can become incredibly monotonous and I think many of us don't realize this actually happened to GL.

We don't usually ask ourselves twice before making a decision and it is very probable that we take everything for granted, we are stuck in a routine of checking what's new, replying in a typical manner, expecting the same kind of reactions, it's like everything's on repeat but it's too close to us to actually see it. We are very emotionally involved in this and we all want to have some good time when we access GL, but with the experience we've all gained IRL we should be able to take the community to the next level and make a reality check of our values, to see if they are destructive or constructive.

I can still see lots of unnecessary fights, personal attacks and tbf there are a hell of a lot of immature posts even though by now we should be able to react more thoughtfully and evidence-based, not living our lives based only on how we feel, perpetually on a treadmill, constantly needing more, more, more.

Banter is banter, but I personally feel less and less willing to invest my time with this kind of posts and it's probably the reason I am only active for a few months/year. I come back from time to time but I am reminded of the same treadmill. Maybe, activity decreased because many of the members subconsciously felt something similar and had to escape the environment. But, I'm just guessing here. I'm sure there can be many reasons behind one's inability to be active on a forum.

Our purpose should be sought not merely through what feels good. It must be considered and reasoned. I don't like to be the man to say it, the old values of the community have failed us. But, this is the first step in evolving. To let go of some values, they must be contradicted through experience. I bet we all love this community and we still like it as it is, but a real sign of maturity would be to brainstorm what values could do a better job, live them and reap their benefits. Or we could just keep staying like this in our comfort zone, thing which will probably cause the community to die.

Hey, I'm not trying to create a drama here. We've had such an amazing staff so far, incredible posters and unthinkable levels of banter, but now it's like we all silently/subconsciously agreed to limited patterns of behaving and thinking. I just believe we should at least think about trying to do things a little bit differently, even take some risks to make this forum as spectacular and fun as it was in its first years of life. tongue

BTW, I truly miss rwo.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:01 am

I disagree, to some extent. I remember a time when the forum, or one of the two previous forums was at the peak of it's activity rate. The majority of the threads in the general section were de-railed with banter during a certain period of time. I believe it wasn't that long after Jibers had created the legendary, Ronaldo getting attacked by gravity post. I think I'm more patient than most people when it comes to these things, and I definitely don't get offended very easily, but the complete absence of seriousness and constant de-railing frustrated me to the point where I made a conscious decision to keep serious opinions on football to a minimum. It just felt pointless, since serious discussions seemed to be against the norm at the time. The current level of banter is not even remotely close to what it was then.

I used to write essays on here, with matters mostly regarding Real Madrid and La Liga. I could post a message and return 15 minutes later, to find that two pages worth of posts had appeared since, and the topic of the thread had changed 2-3 times, already. This place was a lot busier then, I didn't recognize half of our members, and I think that was around the time when people started disappearing slowly, but surely. I think we've grown a lot as a community since then. We're a fraction of the members we used to be, which means that our actions and personalities get magnified, and things such as banter is more easily noticed and traced back to specific members, but I genuinely think this place has become almost indescribably more peaceful and respectful.. almost boringly so. You can't have the cake and eat it too.

I really do miss the activity we once had. Then again, that activity was primarily a result of the advertisment we got through Goal.com, and I wouldn't trust a quarter of those people with holding my beer. I believe the "internet troll" phenomenon was near it's peak back then, too :facepalm: So, yeah, I think we've come a long way since then, but we've also nearly faded away. The activity fluctuates a little bit from week to week, but it was only a few weeks ago on a tuesday that I noticed I was among the top 5 posters that week, despite only having made 4 or 5 posts.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:26 am

Rwo Sad
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:37 am

I get what you are saying, Vibe, there are a few posters on here who have become a gimmick of their avatars. No logic in their posts sometimes. It makes it hard to form fruitful debates and discussions.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:40 am

I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:03 am

Oh shit, I mean Vlad Laughing
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:34 am

I'm not Vlad, but I can still impale you drunken

Spoiler:
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:40 am

@Thimmy - I get where you're coming from and I kinda agree with everything you said, but in the bigger picture, I don't think we've grown a lot as a community. I just don't feel it that way. Smile

Anyway, you're such a valuable member of this community and thanks for giving such an in-depth answer to my question. Molenation

@Vibe - http://www.goallegacy.net/t16224p1050-official-nickname-changes-thread#1935918
- Vibe the Impaler would be next level tbh

@El Gunner - Yep.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:43 pm

Its not a GL problem, its a traditional forum problem, this is 2019, nobody goes on message boards. You either make a subreddit or a discord server, or heck even a whatsapp group.
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:47 pm

Kaladin wrote:Its not a GL problem, its a traditional forum problem, this is 2019, nobody goes on message boards. You either make a subreddit or a discord server, or heck even a whatsapp group.

This is basically it.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:37 pm

Freeza wrote:
Kaladin wrote:Its not a GL problem, its a traditional forum problem, this is 2019, nobody goes on message boards. You either make a subreddit or a discord server, or heck even a whatsapp group.

This is basically it.

Yeah, you're probably right especially when it comes to numbers, but regarding the caliber and nature of our community which already has a core of established members, I believe we're somewhat stuck in the past and the new trends in matter of socializing like reddit, discord or wapp taking over the traditional forums shouldn't be a reason for us not to evolve in our community, even if it is a traditional one.

I like to think that this forum is different than others, having something very special about it, which has to be enough for its active users to act according to its needs and this would be in my view an overhaul of what we value and how we do things. We are not obliged to accept to stick to the standards that most traditional forums have due to new trends. Smile

But then, I'm just debating. Not entirely sure what would be right or wrong to do in the near future.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 pm

What do you mean by "evolve" or by "new trends" that mean we are not obliged to stick to the standards of traditional forums?
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:53 pm

It's hard for me to stick around and post due to the inactivity. I tried maybe a month ago, but lost the motivation to compose anything. It seems to me that a select few have stuck around, but no one I really see myself vibe with.

It's hard to remember all the shift and change that occurred, however I remember a golden age for me where the activity was nice and the conversation was quality. There seemed to be a moment where we got popular and had to make a decision - not sure exactly what was opted for, but I sensed a disconnect at some point. It felt like we went for growth and slowly began to lose some of the conversation building.

Also keeping in mind that naturally people will fade out as work picks up...amongst other life events. I just remember feeling like the banter was getting out of hand for me and everything seemed to be a zinger or some classic GL line.

Eventually my home (off-topic section) began to not hold the same sentiment. That being said, I LITERALLY found myself on this site. So much genuine conversation that allowed me to learn about the beautiful game, as well as my inner most being. I essentially learned to compose and write on this forum. Private messages with some members that seemed more like beautiful essays and thought provoking posts that allowed me to learn how to connect with others.

Thinking about making a nutrition-diet thread so I can follow through with my promise to Sepi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:54 pm

I don't have much experience with other forums, however this one felt special...more like a family to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:59 pm

CBarca wrote:What do you mean by "evolve" or by "new trends" that mean we are not obliged to stick to the standards of traditional forums?

Well, if you read the above posts, Kaladin was if I got it right replying about the lack of activity, especially regarding a new wave of members: "Its not a GL problem, its a traditional forum problem, this is 2019, nobody goes on message boards. You either make a subreddit or a discord server, or heck even a whatsapp group."

By "evolve" I mean that we should reconsider our values as a community and I went in depth about it in the post #323.

By "new trends" I mean, reddit, discord and similar platforms.

I guessed the standards of traditional forums probably lowered when it comes to overall quality and actual values of the communities, considering the impact other social platforms have had in the recent years. And I was thinking that we are definitely not in the same boat with most of the communities, because there's something special about GL.

This post actually proves what I was saying. I've said that there can be many reasons behind one's inactivity, yet, we somehow had something incredible and we never truly built on top of that. With time, that something, even if it is still present, has faded in value and couldn't keep up with the changes many of us have been through IRL, with our maturing. It became a bit monotonous and didn't keep some people highly interested in remaining an active part of our group while others are just OK with everything that's going on (topics of discussion, behavior, far fetched banter etc.) which I can understand, but I personally don't see myself in that group anymore.

The Black_ish Sheep wrote:It's hard for me to stick around and post due to the inactivity. I tried maybe a month ago, but lost the motivation to compose anything. It seems to me that a select few have stuck around, but no one I really see myself vibe with.

It's hard to remember all the shift and change that occurred, however I remember a golden age for me where the activity was nice and the conversation was quality. There seemed to be a moment where we got popular and had to make a decision - not sure exactly what was opted for, but I sensed a disconnect at some point. It felt like we went for growth and slowly began to lose some of the conversation building.

Also keeping in mind that naturally people will fade out as work picks up...amongst other life events. I just remember feeling like the banter was getting out of hand for me and everything seemed to be a zinger or some classic GL line.

Eventually my home (off-topic section) began to not hold the same sentiment. That being said, I LITERALLY found myself on this site. So much genuine conversation that allowed me to learn about the beautiful game, as well as my inner most being. I essentially learned to compose and write on this forum. Private messages with some members that seemed more like beautiful essays and thought provoking posts that allowed me to learn how to connect with others.

Thinking about making a nutrition-diet thread so I can follow through with my promise to Sepi.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:10 pm

Interesting post Vlad.

Here's my 2 cents:

Inactivity:
It is 2019, and message boards' prime was probably from around 2005-2011. As others have already stated, Reddit, Discord, WhatsApp, etc., have changed the way the internet does discussion, for good and bad. So technological and sociocultural trends can certainly be linked to GL's demise.

But so can some of the ways in which the forum has been run, imo. I never thought Goal Legacy was a good name, especially because the name is basically calling back to remnants of something long gone. The forum has no advertising, and the branding is not optimized, so it is no surprise that not many people are enthralled to join. Also, i'd like to think most people have busy lives and can also be intimidated to join and post, especially when others are already posting opinions similar to their's.

Quality of Posts

To me, this forum has basically turned into a gated community of people that are still together because they've been together for so long. That sort of brotherly, intimate vibe has a reciprocal relationship with the type of posts that happen.

I mostly only go on the Madrid section and we talk seriously enough in there with some levity here and there. It is the general discussion section that i can see having more levity, but again, i think that is influenced by the entire context we are in.

I used to like the realmadridistas.com forum because all the Madrid fans who knew each other were there and the discussions we focused, but that site disappeared after Babun and I-No said they were too busy with lives to be in forums (case in point).

As controversial as this may sound, i consider my self at MINIMUM to be among the top 5 posters in the Madrid section when it comes to articulation and thinking, and i've tried to create more spark in the section by creating AN ENTIRE TACTICAL THREAD where i would analyze games with diagrams, as well as AN ENTIRE PERSONAL THREAD WHERE PEOPLE COULD SHARE ABOUT THEMSELVES, but aside from a couple of posters, the peeps in the section didn't care.

I've tried, and i've even changed my posting style recently because i feel that so much of how i think is already covered by Nick and Sports (which i consider to be among the top 3 posters), and so what i say usually doesn't get alot of replies because it's too perfect.

I'll end it there. We can advertise, change branding, and make some changes that motivate new members, otherwise this is a gated community pretty much. A gated community that posts in a relaxed and not too serious manner because of many reasons, especially because everyone is used to each other.

The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:18 pm

Thanks for the answer TMO and everyone else! Thumbs up
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:54 pm

it makes me laugh when people say i dont have the time to post anymore i have a new girlfriend and a kid. what they really mean is the new girlfriend wont let them do shit and they are under the thumb. man i have a wife and 4 kids and i talk to you guys more than them cheers aint got time to post my ass Laughing
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:26 pm

Without new members any forum will slowly die. Reddit and discord are popular, sure, but it's not like every single discussion forum on the internet is dying down. Things on an actual forum are more organized, imo, and that appeals to me over the very fleeting nature of reddit threads, for example. What I think is the real problem of GL is that nobody knows about us. How do you join a forum you don't know about? I think there are people out there who would enjoy GL, but they will never know this place exists.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 26 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next