Is Euro qualifying the biggest joke of a competition?

+20
sportsczy
Dante
iftikhar
Glory
McLewis
BusterLfc
Andrew
Nishankly
Tomwin Lannister
rwo power
mr-r34
Bellabong
DeletedUser#1
Robespierre
Cruijf
RED
BarrileteCosmico
Kick
VivaStPauli
Dnmac4
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is Euro qualifying the biggest joke of a competition? Empty Is Euro qualifying the biggest joke of a competition?

Post by Dnmac4 Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:14 pm

Let me preface the title by saying I love the Euro's.  The tournament it's self.  It's awesome.

The qualifying is the biggest joke I have ever seen.  For some of these games to be marked as "official games" is completely insane and the fact they expanded the field is such a joke.  

It's basically just injuries waiting to happen and I don't like Mourinho at all but he is 100% correct in trying to pull his guys off the Spain roster for these games that are just useless.

I mean when is enough, enough for these players.  Not only do they have to participate in these games against the likes of the Canary Islands but when they don't have to play there countries book friendlies that are meaningless.

When will they understand that more teams doesn't equal a better tournament?  

I know I will be in he minority here since like 50% of people refuse to watch any Non-European games but when the Copa America adds the best teams from CONCAF (Mexico, USA, Costa Rica etc) I find that tournament to be better/harder to win and it doesn't need a 2 year qualifying process or teams everyone knows has no shot at winning.

Yes, Europe is weird as they have these little countries all over the place but there has to be a better way to to organize this tournament.

I'm a USA fan and some of these games make CONCACAF qualifying look like less of a joke.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Is Euro qualifying the biggest joke of a competition? Empty Re: Is Euro qualifying the biggest joke of a competition?

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:17 pm

I really have no idea what countries like San Marino, Gibraltar, or the Faroes are doing in those groups, that's basically just more shit games for good players to get injured in.

That being said, I still think there should be qualifiers. It just should be less groups, and the micro-states shouldn't get to participate. Because if you have a population of less than a million, I fail to give a shit about you.
Actually, even if you have than, like, 3 milion, just so I can put Luxembourg on my shitlist.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Is Euro qualifying the biggest joke of a competition? Empty Re: Is Euro qualifying the biggest joke of a competition?

Post by Kick Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:23 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:I really have no idea what countries like San Marino, Gibraltar, or the Faroes are doing in those groups, that's basically just more shit games for good players to get injured in.

That being said, I still think there should be qualifiers. It just should be less groups, and the micro-states shouldn't get to participate. Because if you have a population of less than a million, I fail to give a shit about you.
Actually, even if you have than, like, 3 milion, just so I can put Luxembourg on my shitlist.

Perhaps the smaller nations could go through their own knockout to get into the group qualifiers?
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:30 pm

Something like that. Install some kind of filter before we have to risk Reus or Iniesta injuring themselves when some overmotivated dentistry assistant from Gibralter tackles them too hard.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:30 pm

How I would go about it:

https://i.imgur.com/HpzxRkt.png

Pot 6 gets its own group. Pots 1-5 make 9 groups. Winners of these 9 groups qualify for euros. Runner ups of these 9 groups qualify for euros - except the three with the least amount of points. These 3 then have a best of 4 tournament with the winner of the Pot 6 team to determine who gets the last Euro spot.

This way they can still make it - but they don't get in everyone's way either.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:32 pm

I like BCs idea.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:35 pm

Dnmac4 wrote:I know I will be in he minority here since like 50% of people refuse to watch any Non-European games but when the Copa America adds the best teams from CONCAF (Mexico, USA, Costa Rica etc) I find that tournament to be better/harder to win and it doesn't need a 2 year qualifying process or teams everyone knows has no shot at winning.
That's because we only have 10 countries so there is no need to filter anyone out Laughing
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:57 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Dnmac4 wrote:I know I will be in he minority here since like 50% of people refuse to watch any Non-European games but when the Copa America adds the best teams from CONCAF (Mexico, USA, Costa Rica etc) I find that tournament to be better/harder to win and it doesn't need a 2 year qualifying process or teams everyone knows has no shot at winning.
That's because we only have 10 countries so there is no need to filter anyone out Laughing

Yea i know.

I do like your other idea though. Putting a lot of the small countries in the same bracket.

My roommate and I were talking about it over the weekend and he asked who Madrid were playing and we were both like shit it's Euro Qualifiers weekend.

I don't know anyone who wants to see these games especially at the expense of canceling a week of club games and then making the players play even more games per week when they jam those back in the schedule.

I mean 24 teams in this next tournament. It is just insane.

Copa America needed to get a little bigger and they always generally add a CONCACAF or other team to the tournament but when they add Mexico, USA, Costa Rica etc there going to have the perfect sized tournament with out the BS qualifying.

I'm sure money is the reason this crap goes on but I just can't see how a national team coach can have a phone call with Jose Mourinho and make a case why they need X player for some useless game against bad players who will probably foul him all over the pitch.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:59 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:Something like that. Install some kind of filter before we have to risk Reus or Iniesta injuring themselves when some overmotivated dentistry assistant from Gibralter tackles them too hard.

LOL
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:00 am

Just abolish international friendlies and qualifiers all together.

RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:05 am

RED wrote:Just abolish international friendlies and qualifiers all together.

How do you qualify for major tournaments then?
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:06 am

I'm all for cutting the number of friendlies in half at a minimum.

If you just watched the Germany vs Spain and Portugal vs Argentina games you can see how many players in those games alone are critically vital to there club teams.

And 3 of the 4 teams are already in this insane Euro qualifying process, there is no reason for them to be playing in a game that means nothing. Hell, the Argentina vs Portugal game was in England for god's sake so there own fans can't even go watch.

It's pointless.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:09 am

Yes this new expanded system of qualification is a joke , it was better as before.
and some NTs tend to take lightly some matches because they know it is impossible not qualify , while before you could risk the play off ( now the 3rd plays the play off ! ). Now there is not even the suspance of the play off where you could watch 2 big NTs battle each other ... it is all garbage now
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:12 am

ACMRox wrote:

I agree here. There has to be a system, but 24 teams for the Euro's in just not needed.

BC's idea was good or you could use some sort of coefficient system to weed out the better teams from qualifying and then have some qualifiers although you could just tighten it up and only play everyone in your group once instead of twice.

It's just out of hand.

And honestly, I was one of the only non-Ronaldo fans (I don't not like him) that thought his record was important in scoring the most goals in Euro's but than someone posted the teams he scored against and it was shocking. It's not his fault he can only play who's put in front of him but the list of teams was a complete joke.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:16 am

Wait the euro is 24 countries now instead of 16?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:17 am

Yea, I'm pretty sure
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:21 am

Another typical ignorant, and American post by one of the worst posters in history of GL.

Who the hell are you to say teams and nations such as Faroe, Lichtenstein, etc don't deserve to play football? I know you'd love to go back to days of slavery and the rich owning the poor (they still do, but indirectly), but you can't do that in sports. Maybe in politics, but not in football. Not in my sport.

Just this past week ,Faroe beat Greece in Athens, San Marino ended a 11 year losing streak, and Lichtenstein got their first away win in years and year.

When the San Marino keeper was sliding to celebrate with his 200 fans, crying in joy. THAT'S FOOTBALL. For me , that's why I started watching the game. The pure emotions, the pure drama. I have no interest in multimillionaires walking around not caring what happens in the game (Talking about the Argentine Berbatov here)....but football is so universally loved and adored because of its rare and unique emotions and drama.

When Faroe Islands staff celebrated at Athens after FT as if they'd won the WC, crying. Would such amazing scenes happen if they were trapped in playing other small teams that wouldn't get anywhere near the coverage.. it was their most notable EVER win. That's one for the books, no one cares if CR can't statpad a penalty vs. Getafe on the weekend, because he played Armenia on the weekend.

I challenge you something. Qualifiers are useless? Big teams should be through automatically?

Germany/ Netherlands/ Spain/ Italy/ etc are all struggling in their group. WITH HALF THE GAMES PLAYED. All could easily end up in play-offs. This expansion has given European minnows a big belief and feel good side and has made mid-tier and even low-tier teams a lot more competitive. Best thing Platini has ever done. Portugal beat Argentina with the exact same score it beat Armenia. Get the point. Malta drew bulgaria away in Sofia.

The Gibraltar you made fun of, conceded less goals away to Germany, that they had done to Ireland/Poland. Who gives divine rights to those nations to be in a tournament without qualifying? Just because they have a rich history and resources? Absolute BS.

Take your capitalist idea and shove it up your arse. Keep these thoughts to yourself in THE LAND OF FREE, AND DREAMS AND EAGLES AND THAT CRAP (in US) or stick to American football with your McDonald commercials every 3 minutes.

The universal game, the most loved game in the world, FOOTBALL, treats every country and every nation the same. That's how it should be.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:22 am

Just to compare the World Cup was 32 teams and the Euros is 24.

8 less teams and 5 less continents participating. Pure insanity. Is it even an accomplishment to make the tournament?
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:33 am

ACMRox wrote:

Draw straws.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:37 am

Natalie Portman wrote:Another typical ignorant, and American post by one of the worst posters in history of GL.

Who the hell are you to say teams and nations such as Faroe, Lichtenstein, etc don't deserve to play football? I know you'd love to go back to days of slavery and the rich owning the poor (they still do, but indirectly), but you can't do that in sports. Maybe in politics, but not in football. Not in my sport.

Just this past week ,Faroe beat Greece in Athens, San Marino ended a 11 year losing streak, and Lichtenstein got their first away win in years and year.

When the San Marino keeper was sliding to celebrate with his 200 fans, crying in joy. THAT'S FOOTBALL. For me , that's why I started watching the game. The pure emotions, the pure drama. I have no interest in multimillionaires walking around not caring what happens in the game (Talking about the Argentine Berbatov here)....but football is so universally loved and adored because of its rare and unique emotions and drama.

When Faroe Islands staff celebrated at Athens after FT as if they'd won the WC, crying. Would such amazing scenes happen if they were trapped in playing other small teams that wouldn't get anywhere near the coverage.. it was their most notable EVER win. That's one for the books, no one cares if CR can't statpad a penalty vs. Getafe on the weekend, because he played Armenia on the weekend.

I challenge you something. Qualifiers are useless? Big teams should be through automatically?

Germany/ Netherlands/ Spain/ Italy/ etc are all struggling in their group. WITH HALF THE GAMES PLAYED. All could easily end up in play-offs. This expansion has given European minnows a big belief and feel good side and has made mid-tier and even low-tier teams a lot more competitive. Best thing Platini has ever done. Portugal beat Argentina with the exact same score it beat Armenia. Get the point. Malta drew bulgaria away in Sofia.

The Gibraltar you made fun of, conceded less goals away to Germany, that they had done to Ireland/Poland. Who gives divine rights to those nations to be in a tournament without qualifying? Just because they have a rich history and resources? Absolute BS.

Take your capitalist idea and shove it up your arse. Keep these thoughts to yourself in THE LAND OF FREE, AND DREAMS AND EAGLES AND THAT CRAP (in US) or stick to American football with your McDonald commercials every 3 minutes.

The universal game, the most loved game in the world, FOOTBALL, treats every country and every nation the same. That's how it should be.

LOL, you look good sitting up on your high horse.  

Were you on the debate team or something?

You started watching football to see San Marino celebrate winning a game that will not ultimately see them make a inflated 24 team single continental tournament? 

Wow, you need to get out more. Or really just stop being that guy who argues the obvious to try and be cool. The World Fing Cup has 32 teams this single continental tournament has 24. It's a joke.

They can still have a qualification process but A)It's way too long, B)You know with a field as big as 24 at least 12 of the teams you can pretty much pencil in.  C)Why are there more friendlies on off weeks, can these players catch a break?

These clubs do pay the players massive salaries and I really don't know anyone except you of course because you're so cultured and watch San Marino and Faroe Islands that cares.

Good for them for pulling an upset, at the end of the day they won't make the most inflated tournament in the history of FIFA.

Is the Faroe Islands fans happiness and joy worth a major player getting injured for 4-6 months?  Are those fans going to pull together and pay that player's salary?  No, neither are you up on your high horse.

Also if your ego didn't get in the way of your face you would notice that it's not just me that holds this opinion but pretty much everyone else in this thread and I'm sure there not all American.

Get a clue.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:47 am

Natalie Portman wrote:Another typical ignorant, and American post by one of the worst posters in history of GL.

Are you really a woman?  Because you sound like one. Is that waiver saying your not a woman just a lie? Come on you can tell us it's pretty obvious now anyways.

Crying over the joy of the Faroe Island fans.  Actually pretending that's why you watch football.  Then claiming we are saying they can't have a qualification process.  LOL, no one is saying that and neither did I.  

-25% insulting other users
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:05 am

Dnmac4 wrote:

Are you really a woman?  Because you sound like one. Is that waiver saying your not a woman just a lie? Come on you can tell us it's pretty obvious now anyways.

Crying over the joy of the Faroe Island fans.  Actually pretending that's why you watch football.  Then claiming we are saying they can't have a qualification process.  LOL, no one is saying that and neither did I.  

You just saw a reason to jump on someone like a B**** in heat and couldn't help your self.  It's cool, we all know women have all these crazy emotions so I forgive you.

I don't know what first attracted you to football, but my first ever football game was Iran vs. China in 1996 in Dalian. It was a WC qualifier between two teams who had a combined 1 WC appearance between themselves (that being in 1978). It was a boss game that ended 2-4 to the away side with some cracking goals in it. The scenes after the game were amazing. It was China's first ever loss in that stadium. I started watching football BECAUSE OF "INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL" and not the joke that's the modern day club football.

It's not Faroe Island' fans to care about Messi's wages. It's a competitive game. Players get injured, get over it. They can get injured playing Copa Del Rey game vs. some teams in 5th tier of Spanish football. Injuries can happen even at trainings. It's no excuse. If the manager of their national teams think they are tired and over-played, they'll get a rest.

AFTER ALL, If those big teams are soo good and those smaller nations are so worthless and bad, then surely they can beat them even without their stars?

Costa Rica, an example of a team you portray as "What's the point even if they win, they won't even get there" was a penalty shoot-out away from WC Semis. Greece who were the least favourites pre-tourney in 2004, Won the whole thing. Denmark didn't even qualify for Euro 1992, but were instated and won the whole thing without Laudrup, their best player.

Those victories are a ton more memorable than the same boring teams winning it. Those victories are moments are why football is the most unpredictable sport in the world. The unity, pulling together, evident in national football. Players represent a nation, its history, as opposed to a Billionare's roster.

I understand where you come from though. You're born and are fed consumerism, and rich >> poor...who cares if the poor can't pay for their health care, they can die attitude. I have bad news for you as your nest has peaked and the East will plummet you to irrelevant and obscurity within the next few decades. This attitude you have towards smaller countries, their rights, their happiness, their achievements is exactly why the US is the most hated country on the earth.

As for me being a woman...so what? Is it all you can come up with? Bet you're one of the guys who defends Ched Evans' rape and says: "WELL, THE GIRL WAS DRUNK, SHE CAN'T COMPLAIN ABOUT IT". Yea, Men are sooooo logical and controlled, whereas it's us women who are fickle and emotional. How original of you. Hope you end up in Guantanamo. you deserve it for your backwards pathetic attitude towards other nations and women.

-25% Insulting other users

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:59 am

I had no idea this thread would have such a high body count lol.

Anyways, yes, Euros have gotten a bit too big and we'll end up with some very insignificant group stage matches but there is one huge flaw/issue overlooked in this thread.

Players aren't immune from injury just because they're not playing a "useless" international friendly/qualifier. Especially in elite teams where the competition is cut-throat players aren't going to "ease" off in training just because it's training. Hell, Lahm broke his ankle today and he retired from international football.

I'd argue there's a higher chance of someone getting injured in an S-tier/A-tier match for limited Euro's spaces than in a S/A team vs a C/D team.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:01 am

So footballs only football when it's top notch quality :facepalm:
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:14 am

Well, I think the smaller countries deserve their matches with the big guns, too, as them causing upsets is what makes football cool. That's why the DFB-Pokal is so cool, too - who doesn't remember amateur teams who manage to topple Bundesliga clubs? IMO stuff like this is what makes football so great.

People who only want to see the top teams compete against each other most often are bandwagoners who only support these teams at the very top and those people probably don't really see what it's all about. If you'd follow a small team from the lower divisions, then you'd know how great it feels if your club actually manages to beat all odds for once and draws or even defeats a big team for once!
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next