El Gunner
Twoism
Arsenalfaithfull
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Francis Coquelin Empty Francis Coquelin

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:14 am

The unsung hero of the highest order. Le Coq has done enough to stake his place in the team I think. This thread is dedicated to him.

So whats your impression of him so far?
Do you see him sticking around for years?
Did he exceed the expectations you had of him when he joined us again?
How is it that he is performing continuously at the highest level for us but was deemed as a failure while featuring for shittier teams in shittier leagues?

#dontneedaDM

Been the best performer for the past 4 games if we are to not count Sanchez imo.

and this....

Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Francis Coquelin Empty Re: Francis Coquelin

Post by Twoism Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:40 am

Gonna answer your questions 1 by 1

He's decent and my opinion might or might not change depends on his City performance, as of now I still want someone else

Yes and no. Yes if he suddenly has break out year like Flamini final year of his last contract ( Flamini was really average for his 1st 3 years just like Le Coq now). No if he cant nail DM position when Arteta back.

Yes cause I had none

Apart from this year, previously whenever I watched him, Arsenal or other teams, he's so bland and uninspired. Maybe I was unlucky watching all his crappy games. Also 4 games is not "continuously perform", big games are all matter to me for DM position, gotta wait and see.

The best performers after Sanchez for me are Santi, Tomas and Ox, Le Coq is 5th though so not bad.

Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:57 am

I still want to get a better DM. I think we still need one and I think Coq ain't cut out for the top games on European nights.

He has been impressive so far. And I am honest when I say this, I have always thought of him as a good player with decent attributes and imo he could make for a good squad player.

Definitely better than Flamini.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:27 am

Arsenalfaithfull wrote:The unsung hero of the highest order. Le Coq has done enough to stake his place in the team I think. This thread is dedicated to him.

So whats your impression of him so far?
Do you see him sticking around for years?
Did he exceed the expectations you had of him when he joined us again?
How is it that he is performing continuously  at the highest level for us but was deemed as a failure while featuring for shittier teams in shittier leagues?

#dontneedaDM

Been the best performer for the past 4 games if we are to not count Sanchez imo.

My impression hasn't changed, this is linked to the question on expectations. There was a time when it was a dilemma of who we'd've to pick, considering both him and Frimpong were standout DMs from our youth and we couldn't realistically accomodate both. Despite the overwhelming off-field popularity for Frimpong, being a gunner through and through like Jack etc, I felt that Coquelin would be have the Arsenal future.

Both ended up becoming scrubs. Frimpong is off the grid in some godforsaken league for all I know. Coquelin was in a similar boat, but has managed to come out of the wilderness in a positive light.

In that context, he is fulfilling the expectations I had off him when he was a U-19. Him and RVP were the only half decent performers in the 8-2, if you can bring yourself to watch it again.

That said, I think we are hyping his performances up a bit in the last few weeks. It should not be forgotten that this is a time when we have had Koscielny back, as well as benched an underperforming Szczesny. We aren't playing that godaweful 4-1-4-1 and the other midfielders - Santi/Ox/Rozza - are putting in a shift. Alexis is also playing as one of the front 3, instead of playing as an AM/SS, which all adds to better midfield solidarity. What this means is, even half decent performances are seen as extremely effective ones.

I think this sums up perfectly:

Coquelin hurls spanner in the works

Up until the last minutes of the 2-0 win over Hull City, Francis Coquelin had timed every one of his challenges just right. That is to say his challenges, teetering precariously on the edge of ankle-breaker, hadn’t as of yet, been called up by the referee in the three-and-a-bit matches he featured in over the festive period. He was booked once late on against QPR though that was for a tactical foul when Arsenal were holding on.

However, close to the end of the Hull game, Coquelin launched himself into a tackle that saw him booked. He got the ball in the end, it must be said, but the way he propelled himself, studs showing, was deemed illegal. On the face of it, the tackle was a minor aberration in what was a solid performance from Arsenal, however, since he has been recalled from loan, everybody has been keenly running the rule on Francis Coquelin.

He caught the eye initially against West Ham when he started alongside fellow scrapper, Mathieu Flamini, in a double pivot and quickly outshone him, launching himself into tackles yet emerging with the ball with the clinicality of a hit-man. His passing was also crisp and accurate, with Wenger praising the way he passed “through the lines.” Against Southampton, Coquelin was rather less impressive – despite a bright start he was found wanting against such technical-savvy opponents (though to be fair, he did start alongside the inexperienced Calum Chambers).

His performance against Hull went someway to restoring his reputation, but it was that tackle which stuck in the mind because in those three games Coquelin has played, you sensed that at some moment, he would be penalised for a challenge that the referee would deem excessive. To be fair to Coquelin, he has generally executed them with clinical efficiency and certainly, there is a particular joy in seeing him propel himself with a shark-like muscular ripple because tacklers these days are rare.

But that precisely is also the point: Sam Allardyce says you can’t train players to tackle anymore, rather it’s about having the awareness to intercept, because “most tackles are fouls now”. And up till now we’ve been waiting to see if Coquelin has substance to his game and that he’s not, forgive me for putting it bluntly, just another Flamini.

On the plus side, Coqeulin has shown he has enough awareness to his game to suggest he can go another level: he tracks runners, plays with intensity and is a clean passer of the ball. For a long time, that final point has stuck in the craw of some Arsenal fans; sometimes we’re too guilty of over-intellectualising positions and players – even if the player who plays in front of the defence needs to play 50-70 passes per game. Coquelin has enough in his game to polish into a finer footballer: it’s just whether his particular strengths off the ball can transform Arsenal’s game in the short-term.

http://arseblog.com/2015/01/tactics-column-analysing-arsenals-performances-over-the-festive-period/

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:25 pm

Also going to leave this here. I think I also put it in the stoke post match, but still:

Watching the game I was initially impressed with Coquelin and wondered if he was a major reason why Arsenal looked so assured in midfield. But late in the game he looked like he had heavy legs.

Coquelin only completed 40/50 passes. Misplacing 10 passes isn’t a crime but it does beg the question about whether Arsenal’s main center mid in a diamond 4 can make those kinds of errors. 4 of his 10 missed passes were entry passes into the final third, 2 were in the middle third of the pitch during the first 60 minutes, and 4 of them were in the middle third in the final 30 minutes.

Coquelin was also just 2/4 in tackles and had three interceptions. I’m wan to bring these numbers up because it doesn’t necessarily mean that he wasn’t playing good defense. A guy doesn’t have to make 20 tackles in a game to be a good defender, though people would love to see that!

To give you a comparison, Morgan Schneiderlin completed 37/39 passes against Man U. His two misplaced passes were both long balls. Schneiderlin made 1/2 tackles but had 5 interceptions and made 5 clearances.

http://news.arseblog.com/2015/01/arsenal-3-0-stoke-by-the-numbers/

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:13 pm

Coquelin is better than Arteta and Flamini(younger faster) but he should be our 3rd choice. We need better players and I am glad Coquelin is doing well he deserves good team after Wenger is done with him.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:37 pm

Coquelin's not better than Arteta for two reasons: 1) he's passing is very average and 2) he's not as intelligent.

If Coquelin is to be our DM for the forseeable future it's those aspects of his game that he needs to improve upon. Yes, he's mobile and tenacious, and that helps him makes a lot of tackles across the pitch and will help him when he's covering his defenders, but you need more from him. He has to learn to stay on his feet more, because soon enough he'll mistime his challenges and get needless cards or will miss the ball and let the attacker go free.

Distribution is vital for holding players to have these days. He's responsible for starting attacks and therefore has to be able to take care of the ball. He likes to attempt the difficult cross field passes but he doesn't need to do them.

He's done very well in games against West Ham, Stoke and Hull - none of those sides have a quality attacking midfielder(s). He'll get a real test against Silva this weekend and we'll see then if he has a future with us.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:38 pm

+1 Jay

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:09 pm

Very questionable tackling.
That 2 footed flying lunge against Hull should have been a red card for dangerous play. Even though he did not make contact while in the air. Every game comes with moments that just make you wonder when he is going to do something that leaves us a man down. Is an ok squad member probably, I just do not see him as starting top level talent.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:12 am

However he is, he is better than Flamini.
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:36 pm

https://vine.co/v/OjedWn5FpWw
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:11 pm

he's been cocklin'd LMAO
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:39 am

In terms of energy and tenaciousness he's up there with the most hard-working players in our squad. They say attitude often beats sheer talent. :coffee:

I want to believe in that. #TeamLeCoq
Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:02 pm

Another solid performance today.
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:08 pm

Get him on a 20-year-deal. Great performance.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:09 pm

he is earning my respect and trust finally
Good stuff
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:22 pm

Passed the test today.

Second test Spurs away in 2 weeks.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:32 pm

I am a believer Molenation
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:50 pm

Now keep working hard and nail that DM position til the end of season u beauty
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:48 pm

Reliable DM. Thumbs up
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:51 pm

Still not entirely convinced to be perfectly honest. He's doing a job alright, but I can't imagine him as the first choice DM over 50 games a season. :/

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:59 pm

Yep, one game at a time.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:03 pm

He did well protecting the back 4 against a strong man city team. He should be easily starting ahead of Flamini after his recent form.
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:06 pm

Bare in mind that today he had fantastic support from Ramsey and Cazorla, so much so he only made one tackle all game.

Still, he's doing well. Deserves his spot in the team for now, but not yet convinced he's the long-term solution. If he can keep it up till the end of the season then I'll revise that opinion.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:08 pm

Well the fact that he's better than Flamini was never in contention - the question is, is he going to take up the mantle from Flamini or from Arteta? I can imagine him doing a squad role, like Flamini does now, but not as a calming passmaster deep midfield playmaker like Arteta. I was kinda hoping Ramsey would take up from Arteta, but he's too gung ho about getting forward to try and get on the scoresheet.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next