Post by Sri on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:31 am

Wrong thread? hmm

Sri
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Re: OFFICIAL: ARSENAL SIGN A CB

Post by Sri on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:50 am

Arsene Wenger has said that although scouting a player and seeing him play remains the most important part of the decision making process, Arsenal use data provided by the analytics company the club bought in 2012 as part of the process.

Specific qualities in certain players can be found via the StatDNA database, and the Frenchman revealed that a combination of this process and regular scouting helped him make up his mind about the 24 year old Brazilian.

“We look at interceptions, defensive errors, winning tackles,” he said, “and what we call tackles is committing to win the ball.

“Set piece receptions, these kind of things, but the most important thing is through the eye.

“Does this system find players for us? That is what we look for, of course, because it is difficult to watch all the games. But what I mean is that if the numbers confirm the eye, it gives you more.

“We have our own system with qualities we think are important. After that, you have the attitude of the player. Because you can have good stats for a while but if you go out every night until six o’clock in the morning, it won’t last.”

Wenger’s comments are interesting, especially as just last month Gilles Grimandi raised questions about the use of stats when it came to scouting potential recruits.

He also spoke about his defensive qualities, playing down any comparisons with the somewhat flaky David Luiz.

“Gabriel is a more typical defender. He is a real defender, who wants to defend. He’s from São Paulo. He’s a Paulista. You have Rio players and you have São Paulo players. One is a beach area and the other is more hard-working.”

With a language barrier to overcome – although after 18 months in Spain his Spanish is surely not bad – Wenger talked about how that was a priority to help the former Villarreal man adapt more quickly.

“He does not speak a word of English and that can cost you goals,” Wenger said.

“If you mix going forwards with backwards, it can cost you. It is a position where you need to know your partners and you need to communicate as well.

“We try to teach him the important words. Like ‘Offside.’ And ‘Look at the linesman!’”

http://news.arseblog.com/2015/01/wenger-reveals-how-stats-helped-source-real-defender-gabriel/
Sri
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Rot-Weiß Oberhausen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:50 am

Sri
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ on Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:11 am

srigooner wrote:Wrong thread? hmm

No. It was part of the Gabriel deal.

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri on Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:23 am

@MJ wrote:
srigooner wrote:Wrong thread? hmm

No. It was part of the Gabriel deal.

You're right there hmm
Sri
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner on Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:27 am

srigooner wrote:Arsene Wenger has said that although scouting a player and seeing him play remains the most important part of the decision making process, Arsenal use data provided by the analytics company the club bought in 2012 as part of the process.

Specific qualities in certain players can be found via the StatDNA database, and the Frenchman revealed that a combination of this process and regular scouting helped him make up his mind about the 24 year old Brazilian.

“We look at interceptions, defensive errors, winning tackles,” he said, “and what we call tackles is committing to win the ball.

“Set piece receptions, these kind of things, but the most important thing is through the eye.

“Does this system find players for us? That is what we look for, of course, because it is difficult to watch all the games. But what I mean is that if the numbers confirm the eye, it gives you more.

“We have our own system with qualities we think are important. After that, you have the attitude of the player. Because you can have good stats for a while but if you go out every night until six o’clock in the morning, it won’t last.”

Wenger’s comments are interesting, especially as just last month Gilles Grimandi raised questions about the use of stats when it came to scouting potential recruits.

He also spoke about his defensive qualities, playing down any comparisons with the somewhat flaky David Luiz.

“Gabriel is a more typical defender. He is a real defender, who wants to defend. He’s from São Paulo. He’s a Paulista. You have Rio players and you have São Paulo players. One is a beach area and the other is more hard-working.”

With a language barrier to overcome – although after 18 months in Spain his Spanish is surely not bad – Wenger talked about how that was a priority to help the former Villarreal man adapt more quickly.

“He does not speak a word of English and that can cost you goals,” Wenger said.

“If you mix going forwards with backwards, it can cost you. It is a position where you need to know your partners and you need to communicate as well.

“We try to teach him the important words. Like ‘Offside.’ And ‘Look at the linesman!’”

http://news.arseblog.com/2015/01/wenger-reveals-how-stats-helped-source-real-defender-gabriel/

Mah n Proud
I can confirm Vendetta won't get signed by Arsenal.

World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina on Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:01 am

This is very good,i thought the whole text deserves to be in the thread Wink
===================

Dynamic, intense and strong: might Gabriel Paulista be Arsenal’s answer?

Gabriel’s former team-mates at Villarreal have only praise for Arsène Wenger’s new signing and believe he will not only quickly adapt to the Premier League but also take charge of Arsenal’s defence

Sid Lowe
@sidlowe

Saturday 31 January 2015 15.00 GMT

The last time Gabriel Armando de Abreu posed for a team photograph at Villarreal, he squatted down in the front row dressed all in black while everyone else wore yellow. In his hands was a ceramic yellow submarine, a memento of his time at the Madrigal. It had been brief – he was leaving less than 18 months after he had arrived from Brazil for €3.5m (£2.6m) – but he had left his mark. He said goodbye before last weekend’s match against Levante, Villarreal’s 18th unbeaten, and supporters applauded him on to the field, chanting his name as he joined his now former team-mates lining up before the cameras.

There were tears. Gabriel’s voice cracked and an interview broke off. “It’s a bit difficult,” he said, swallowing hard. “That’s life: one day you’re in one place, the next you’re somewhere else.”

That somewhere else is London; Gabriel joined Arsenal for a fee that could rise to almost €19m. “It’s a bit different to [the Valencian town of] Benicàssim,” grins the Villarreal striker Denis Cheryshev after Thursday’s game against Getafe. “I’d find it hard, the weather especially, and it might be difficult at first but he’s ready and I’m sure we’ll see him playing very well, very quickly.”

If Arsène Wenger’s signing of Gabriel seemed to many to have come from nowhere, not so his team-mates. “I don’t know if you have been watching us this season,” Cheryshev says, “but we have been keeping clean sheets almost every game and those who watch him every week, those of us who train with him especially, were not surprised. He’s had a spectacular season. Gabriel going [on a big transfer] is no utopia.”

Gabriel had admitted at the start of this season: “Last season was new for me, a year of adaptation more than anything else. This year will be better.” He was right, too. The qualities were always there – aggressive, strong, tall – and the improvement has been as swift as he is. Villarreal have the best defensive record in La Liga outside Real Madrid and Barcelona and until his departure Gabriel was the only outfield player to play every game, starting 18 of 19, the same number as he had played in the previous season.

“He’s very quick, well-positioned, covers a lot of ground and is tough too,” Villarreal’s Gerard Moreno says. “He reads the game well, judging where players are going, and then has the speed to get there before them. And even if he made mistakes, or if players got free [at first], he had the speed to recover.”

Mistakes become less frequent too. “Humble and hard working” may be the standard response from footballers asked about their team-mates but with Gabriel it gets repeated so often and in a tone so convincing that it no longer sounds like a platitude. “He’s such a good, good, person: quiet, reserved, completely dedicated,” one member of staff says.

People at the club describe the defender who arrived in August 2013 as “raw”. Video sessions with the manager, one on one, were constant and long: more than an hour at a time spent in front of a screen together. Marcelino García Toral, the coach, was obsessive about it, guiding him through positioning, decision making, reading of the game, the coordination required. Gabriel listened and learnt. “He did everything he was told,” staff say. “Literally everything.”

“He’s a kid who has really progressed,” Marcelino says. “It was hard to adapt because football in Brazil is very, very different to football in Europe, tactically, in particular. He was poco trabajado, he’d not really been worked on. But thanks to an impeccable attitude, sacrifice and consistency, the fact that he worked steadily every day, he improved a lot.He understands the game. He’s a great professional. He earned this; he deserves it.

“He’s very strong, very fast, good in the air. He’s tremendously dynamic and intense in the way he defends,” Marcelino continues. “He also strikes the ball cleanly, brings it out from the back well, and he can play on both the right and left.”

Nor does the manager think the jump to English football will be a problem. “The leap is much bigger from Brazil to Spain than Spain to England and he has already been through that adaptation [process]. The Spanish league is a bit more tactical than the Premier League, there are fewer aerial battles and there are fewer tackles, but the levels are similar. I don’t think it’s especially difficult. Most players who go there from here adapt immediately. He’s young, 24, and leading the defence has to come bit by bit, but he’ll do well.”

Moreno says: “He has the qualities to be a success there. In fact, I think he could be even better there than he is here, because of that speed.” Cheryshev agrees: “People I know who have played in England say it is faster, more open, a bit more end-to-end. He won’t have a problem with that. He’s young and will keep growing. Why shouldn’t he become the leader of their defence? On top of that, there are lot of Spanish speakers there, so that will help.”

Santi Cazorla still keeps in touch with friends at Villarreal and will be among the first points of contact at Arsenal. Wenger admits that Gabriel does not speak a word of English. Not yet, but he will learn. “We’ll teach him to say ‘offside’,” Wenger smiled.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/31/gabriel-paulista-arsenal-villareal-arsene-wenger

Gabriel Molenation

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
Spoiler:
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:07 am

Good read that!! Thanks! Smile
Sri
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:08 am

“I have signed a Brazilian centre back before,” the manager said. “It was in Japan. I went to Sao Paulo and I signed a player called [Alexandre] Torres who was the son of Carlos Alberto. And he was a very good centre back.

“[He settled in Japan] very well. I went to watch another centre back and I got so many tapes that I watched them in the hotel and I saw him.

“I asked, ‘Who is he?’ The next day I said, ‘Bring this guy, I want to take him’, and the next day he came with a guy and I looked at him and said, ‘I know your face from somewhere’. His agent was Carlos Alberto, his father!”

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20150130/-gabriel-not-first-brazil-centre-back-

Laughing
Sri
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:09 am

Will we see him against Boro?
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri on Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:54 am

I am excited to watch him play, but not quite sure if he has had time to settle in. I mean, he's supposed to be raw and stuff right?
Sri
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:15 am

"raw and stuff" Laughing

Think we'll see him start against 'Boro

World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:56 am

El gets me Proud
Sri
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev on Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:06 am

It's not like he's playing his first competitive match.

I think the frequent use of "raw" means he's basically an unpolished diamond and has enormous potential. Am I capt.Obvious here? Laughing
Rev
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri on Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:47 am

Laughing

Yeah, I am just not supremely comfortable with throwing him in at the deep end. He's new to the league, culture, etc. It's only fair that he gets his time to settle in first. I mean, the guy is only learn the word 'offside' this week!

We are a team who perform as a sytem, more than on individual merits alone. It's always about winning together, philosophy, Wengerball, etc etc. So apart from off-field adaptation, he also has to adapt to the way we play football. Not saying he is a scrub, but you can't expect someone to come in and perform immediately!

Knowing how quick we are to judge and slag underperformers, .... you know what I mean Wink
Sri
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev on Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:28 pm

I know what'cha mean Sri. I'm just buzzing to see him in red. bounce
Rev
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri on Mon May 04, 2015 6:32 pm

Despite not speaking much English, Gabriel revealed that his first three months in north London have been positive.

“I’m really enjoying London,” the 24-year-old said. “It’s a much bigger city than where I was before but I’m really enjoying everything here and my family is doing really well. I’m adapting well.

The boss is like a father figure for everyone, which is why he’s been here for such a long time. He creates a family and I’m very happy that people are praising his work. The most important thing is the family atmosphere within this squad.

“He has helped me a lot and everybody here has told me about what he has done for the club. My type of football is very much the same style that the boss has made Arsenal play. That’s one of the things that has helped me adapt so well, that we’ve got the same style here.

“We’ve got a very good team. We had a few games that didn’t go quite as well as we had hoped but I think it’s possible to still come second.”

Read more at http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20150504/gabriel-the-boss-is-a-father-figure#FuA7kuzZQueUz9dh.99
Sri
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top