The Movie House - Part 4

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by Forza on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:54 am

El Gunner wrote:I did not like Apocalypse Now Neutral

Obviously not everyone in the world is going to like it. I happen to think it's one of the greatest movies ever, but I can respect other people's opinion. At the same time, I would suggest that you give it a year or two and watch it again. If you can get over the drawn-out intro and immerse yourself in the setting, it becomes a much better experience.

Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Posts : 8871
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by RealGunner on Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:24 am



can't wait ffs :bow: :bow: :bow:
avatar
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 73846
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by RED on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:29 pm

Don't call me James wrote:Wtf, Furiuos 7 is 9.1 on IMDb after roughly 2000 votes. hmm

Whaaaat!?! That is Shawshank Redemption, Godfather 1 &2 status. gtfo lol.

RealGunner wrote:

can't wait ffs :bow: :bow: :bow:


Can't wait too.

_________________
ADORED
avatar
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Marseille
Posts : 10239
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by Don't call me James on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:42 pm

600 more votes in and it's still at 9.0 Laughing

_________________
avatar
Don't call me James
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina
Posts : 28121
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 100

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by RealGunner on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:52 pm

It will go down to 7.5 after few months.

avatar
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 73846
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by El Gunner on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:54 pm

Don't call me James wrote:600 more votes in and it's still at 9.0 Laughing

Maybe it is just that GOAT hmm

_________________


_______________________________
Freeza wrote:...so let the aunt have fun with her nephew.
avatar
El Gunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 11048
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 20

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by Freeza on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:59 pm

Wanna talk about IMDB scores being awful, look at Interstellar Laughing
Also Furious will get around 7 something when people who've seen it votes.

_________________
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 14622
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by RedOranje on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:11 pm

It's a fairly classic case of the "new is always better" mentality. As time passes the ratings will revert to the norm and the real greats will rise to the top, but at first films always tend to be scored higher in such rating systems than they necessarily deserve (compared to older counterparts) due to people favoring the cinematic style (fitting the current trend) and graphics at the time at the expense of well-written characters and stories.

_________________
avatar
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid
Posts : 11146
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by El Gunner on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:12 pm

My rating for Interstellar is actually 9.0/10
So no, it is just about right imo.

_________________


_______________________________
Freeza wrote:...so let the aunt have fun with her nephew.
avatar
El Gunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 11048
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 20

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by RedOranje on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:36 pm

Case in point.

_________________
avatar
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid
Posts : 11146
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by Forza on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:07 am

RedOranje wrote:It's a fairly classic case of the "new is always better" mentality. As time passes the ratings will revert to the norm and the real greats will rise to the top, but at first films always tend to be scored higher in such rating systems than they necessarily deserve (compared to older counterparts) due to people favoring the cinematic style (fitting the current trend) and graphics at the time at the expense of well-written characters and stories.

This is a perfect summary of how IMDB ratings work.
avatar
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham
Posts : 8871
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by Freeza on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:34 am

Forza wrote:
RedOranje wrote:It's a fairly classic case of the "new is always better" mentality.  As time passes the ratings will revert to the norm and the real greats will rise to the top, but at first films always tend to be scored higher in such rating systems than they necessarily deserve (compared to older counterparts) due to people favoring the cinematic style (fitting the current trend) and graphics at the time at the expense of well-written characters and stories.

This is a perfect summary of how IMDB ratings work.


Yeah, but Nolan and top Tv-shows are anomalies in this system. No idea how all his films are in top250 or somewhere close. It's kind of an opt in system. The show or movie with the most passionate fans vote 10s. And the ones who didn't enjoy it that much won't vote because they aren't passionate enough to spent time voting on that system.

The only ratings that matter for me are my own tbh. I can't stand when people use imdb as an argument.

_________________
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 14622
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by El Gunner on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:38 am

Freeza wrote:
Forza wrote:
RedOranje wrote:It's a fairly classic case of the "new is always better" mentality. As time passes the ratings will revert to the norm and the real greats will rise to the top, but at first films always tend to be scored higher in such rating systems than they necessarily deserve (compared to older counterparts) due to people favoring the cinematic style (fitting the current trend) and graphics at the time at the expense of well-written characters and stories.

This is a perfect summary of how IMDB ratings work.


Yeah, but Nolan and top Tv-shows are anomalies in this system. No idea how all his films are in top250 or somewhere close.

And why is do you have no idea?

_________________


_______________________________
Freeza wrote:...so let the aunt have fun with her nephew.
avatar
El Gunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 11048
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 20

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by Tomwin Lannister on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:40 am

Generally, you should just judge for yourself

But obviously if a movie is consistently getting shredded with shit rating you can safely say it's a shit movie 99.9% of the time.

_________________




Luke Harper wrote:We are the ones... the ones that you've been told about. And WE... are walking upright.

Studying about those good ol' days and who shall wear, the starry crown gooood lawd. Show me the waaaaay.

Unbeaten 2011/2012.


:bow: :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:
avatar
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 26086
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 76

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by El Gunner on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:56 am

Freeza wrote:
Forza wrote:
RedOranje wrote:It's a fairly classic case of the "new is always better" mentality.  As time passes the ratings will revert to the norm and the real greats will rise to the top, but at first films always tend to be scored higher in such rating systems than they necessarily deserve (compared to older counterparts) due to people favoring the cinematic style (fitting the current trend) and graphics at the time at the expense of well-written characters and stories.

This is a perfect summary of how IMDB ratings work.


Yeah, but Nolan and top Tv-shows are anomalies in this system. No idea how all his films are in top250 or somewhere close. It's kind of an opt in system. The show or movie with the most passionate fans vote 10s. And the ones who didn't enjoy it that much won't vote because they aren't passionate enough to spent time voting on that system.

The only ratings that matter for me are my own tbh. I can't stand when people use imdb as an argument.

Yes that's good and well. Everyone has their own preference, but it is true that people generally like the same film. What I'm saying is, let's say you get a film like The Departed.

Popular director and stars might increase overall ratings. But it is a GOOD film. Why? Because usually the creme de la creme find their way to the top overtime. And that's why it has a high rating on IMDb. It's a good way to rate films imo, RedO's argument stands, so that's why I picked an older film. Yes, there will be that one out of 10 people who might not like The Departed, but in general terms it will be considered a good film because the MAJORITY like it. And I think we all know that's what IMDB top 250 is about, it's a list of the majority's favourites. Which makes it a pretty good list and comparison for your average person to go check out a film to see how good the film is, where it is viewed among the majority and if it is worth watching. So IMDB certainly isn't irrelevant or a complete joke.

Nolan films having high ratings is also the same case. The majority like/really love his films and think that his films are good, because THEY ARE in the opinion of the majority. Again, if you don't like his films, that's all well and fine, nobody will hate on you for that. Does that mean you have to get annoyed by the fact that the guy makes good films and has huge success with them among the people, no you don't have to!

It's pretty much your sentiment towards those who don't like superhero-era, just the tables turned.

_________________


_______________________________
Freeza wrote:...so let the aunt have fun with her nephew.
avatar
El Gunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 11048
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 20

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by CBarca on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:10 am

I've pretty much always found IMDB ratings to be pretty much trash tbh
avatar
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 14727
Join date : 2011-06-17
Age : 21

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by Glory on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:22 am

IMDb is not a yardstick. It gives you a rough idea. But relying heavily on imdb ratings is a stupid way to prioritize your watchlist. Same with RT. In fact is RT is worse than IMDb. You have to be logical enough to find that middle ground.

I personally do it by going with the directors and other collaborators. Watch the trailer on youtube, may be not fully and then simply trust your instincts. 90% of the time I have felt vindicated.

Case in point.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337876/?ref_=nv_sr_3
Jonathan Glazer's BIRTH

This film got trashed both on IMDb and RT. 6.0 and 38% respectively.
And yet when you watch it. it will come about as astonishing for most of them.

Another magnificent film that is cirminally underrated is Kate Winslet starrer Holy Smoke which has 5.8 on IMDb.
avatar
Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Marseille
Posts : 5150
Join date : 2013-07-18
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by Freeza on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:49 am

Lumiere_Blanche wrote:IMDb is not a yardstick. It gives you a rough idea. But relying heavily on imdb ratings is a stupid way to prioritize your watchlist. Same with RT. In fact is RT is worse than IMDb. You have to be logical enough to find that middle ground.

I personally do it by going with the directors and other collaborators. Watch the trailer on youtube, may be not fully and then simply trust your instincts. 90% of the time I have felt vindicated.

Case in point.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337876/?ref_=nv_sr_3
Jonathan Glazer's BIRTH

This film got trashed both on IMDb and RT. 6.0 and 38% respectively.
And yet when you watch it. it will come about as astonishing for most of them.

Another magnificent film that is cirminally underrated is Kate Winslet starrer Holy Smoke which has 5.8 on IMDb.


Fully agree with everything, for once Proud

@EG The Departed "an older" film. It's still popular among everyone in mainstream. A better example would be 70s films like Godfather. Also no one disagrees that any of those movies are good. But is it one of the best ever?

Only use IMDB for the trivia, to look up which movies specific people have made etc. For me personally ratings are the least interesting about that site.

_________________
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 14622
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by El Gunner on Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:18 pm

As I said it serves as good initial indicator. I agree though it is certainly not a yardstick.

@Freeze but that's too old. Might be a semantics issue again, as my old might not be yours hmm My point is the internet wasn't around back then. Classics like Ben Hur, The Great Escape, how many votes do they have? Probably just from the older people and from the people who are fans of those films. The Departed is pretty old enough imo to use as an example. Most people around today, ordinary people, not film geeks like us, don't bother watching old films, especially if they are from the previous century.

_________________


_______________________________
Freeza wrote:...so let the aunt have fun with her nephew.
avatar
El Gunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 11048
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 20

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by Don't call me James on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:44 pm

RealGunner wrote:

can't wait ffs :bow: :bow: :bow:




:bow: :bow:

_________________
avatar
Don't call me James
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina
Posts : 28121
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 100

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by Freeza on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:45 pm

Tom Cruise is legit insane. God, I love that man. Doubt there's a more commited and dedicated actor out there.

_________________
avatar
Freeza
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 14622
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by Don't call me James on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:49 pm

I agree man. I have never NOT enjoyed a Tom Cruise movie.

_________________
avatar
Don't call me James
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina
Posts : 28121
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 100

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by Glory on Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:26 pm

Freeza wrote:
Lumiere_Blanche wrote:IMDb is not a yardstick. It gives you a rough idea. But relying heavily on imdb ratings is a stupid way to prioritize your watchlist. Same with RT. In fact is RT is worse than IMDb. You have to be logical enough to find that middle ground.

I personally do it by going with the directors and other collaborators. Watch the trailer on youtube, may be not fully and then simply trust your instincts. 90% of the time I have felt vindicated.

Case in point.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337876/?ref_=nv_sr_3
Jonathan Glazer's BIRTH

This film got trashed both on IMDb and RT. 6.0 and 38% respectively.
And yet when you watch it. it will come about as astonishing for most of them.

Another magnificent film that is cirminally underrated is Kate Winslet starrer Holy Smoke which has 5.8 on IMDb.


Fully agree with everything, for once Proud

@EG The Departed "an older" film. It's still popular among everyone in mainstream. A better example would be 70s films like Godfather. Also no one disagrees that any of those movies are good. But is it one of the best ever?

Only use IMDB for the trivia, to look up which movies specific people have made etc. For me personally ratings are the least interesting about that site.


drinking

we are cool. Thumbs up

avatar
Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Marseille
Posts : 5150
Join date : 2013-07-18
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by Glory on Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:33 pm

k then
I watched a film The Little Death.
An Australian one. Smile

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2785032/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Impressive film. Little death btw means Orgasm!! ... eco smile
It was an anthology of sorts and all the segments were quite funny.

It is the directorial debut of Josh Lawson. And on twitter I simply wrote impressive work and stuff when the director himself  actually favorited the tweet . Proud Shocked Classy man! . :bow:  
The actress from the most brilliant segment Erin James also favorited it. Such down to earth artists from Australia! Proud El Gunner man, I am impressed. Smile
avatar
Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Marseille
Posts : 5150
Join date : 2013-07-18
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by El Gunner on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:07 pm

Lumiere_Blanche wrote:El Gunner man, I am impressed.
Why thank you, but what exactly did I do? hmm

_________________


_______________________________
Freeza wrote:...so let the aunt have fun with her nephew.
avatar
El Gunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 11048
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 20

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by Glory on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:21 pm

El Gunner wrote:
Lumiere_Blanche wrote:El Gunner man, I am impressed.
Why thank you, but what exactly did I do? hmm


never mind. But arent you an Aussie ?
avatar
Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Marseille
Posts : 5150
Join date : 2013-07-18
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum