The trouble with Mull

2 posters

Go down

The trouble with Mull Empty The trouble with Mull

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:19 am

So yesterday evening Dr. Müller-Wohlfahrt, "Mull", the famous veteran team doctor has quit, along with the rest of his medical staff.
He's been Bayern's team doctor since the 70s and simultaneously Germany's NT doctor since 1995.
There's been a veritable cult of personality around him, since he's an easy recognizable figure sitting on the Bayern and NT bench every game for decades, his face withering but not his anachronistic hair.
Now there's a lot of drama, although we know very little.

some observations

- he quit through giving a statement to a sports news agency, on an evening in midweek in the middle of the season. When PR chief Hörwick was asked yesterday he said he 'couldn't comment since the club was not aware of the statement.'
The statement alleged that "the relation of trust which is necessary" has been "severly damange" because the medical department had been "inexplicably blamed" for the Porto loss.
Which is a bit cryptic tbh. BILD claims there was an argument between Rummenigge and Mull after the game.

- whatever went on, however he was treated, quitting like that without even telling the club beforehand is a real mature way to act, completely unprofessional, and smacks like throwing a tantrum because of senile stubbornness. Which is the next observation

- Mull is 72 years old. I've been wondering for a while how long this would go on,it was long before getting kind of ridiculous, but meanwhile I had resigned to the thought the guy was the result of some occult SS genetic experiment and would outlive all of us, while looking like he had drunk from the false holy grail.

- since Pep arrived there's been rumblings about trouble, one point of conflict was that as a team doctor he wasn't present at training session but players were shipped to his practise in city center if it was deemed serious.
Pep had a problem with that, and then at last the club presented a 'compromise' solution which meant Müller-Wohlfahrts SON Kilian was employed as an extra doctor present a couple of moths ago.
Which sounded incredibly silly to me as I don't know why the *bleep* our medicinal department is treated like a hereditary monarchy.

- pretty sure there more excellent doctors than football coaches, so it's about time Mull gets his retirement IMO

- another thing was Thiago's repeated injuries. The narrative has been colported that Pep sent Thiago to be treated in Spain against Mull's recommendation, and allegedly got injected with cortisone which backfired, this is now repeated as if it's the truth although we really don't know that.
There was some kind of peace summit about this last year where Mull met the Barcelona doctor etc pp

- there's been a lot frustrating injury things this season, Pizarro, Benatia, Ribery, Badstuber all struggling with muscle problems which often didn't sound serious but they missed a lot of games.
Ribéry just the other week said it was a "catastrophe" he started to train to early last month.

- so it's safe to say there has been disagreements and problems with the diagnosis and treatment of injuries. This is probably very interesting since it involves different wisdoms of medicine, whether to treat with injections etc pp.

- obviously I have no expertise in judging any medicinal questions. Mull is supposed to be this wonder doc but I'm very suspicious of that kind of judgement. Who knows whether at 72 he's still at the top of his game, especially since he seemed to have developed a more shamanic tendency over the years

- here's an interview in German with Sueddeutsche from a couple of years back. He sounds borderline whacko and megalomaniac if you ask me, but I'm not one to have clear convictions on the boundaries and truths of medicine as a science
http://sz-magazin.sueddeutsche.de/texte/anzeigen/37627/

- FC Hollywood is back cheers
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

The trouble with Mull Empty Re: The trouble with Mull

Post by rwo power Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:55 am

Well, things could get really fun as it seems that many players will probably exercise their right of free choice of doctors and visit Dr.Müller-Wohlfahrt anyway if they are injured. Especially if you consider that at least Arjen Robben seemingly even made his contract extension dependable on having the benefit of MW's treatment.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:24 pm

The thing is that this "he's the one who got rid of Robben's injuries" story has a bit of myth to it too.

He's done great work there no doubt, especially with his insistence of caring about the spine as a root for problems, but the fact is Robben has publicly said the deciding thing was he started to have an Osteopath treat him, ever since his last year at Real and it sounds like that's the guy Robben gives most credit for.
http://www.welt.de/sport/article136734694/Bei-uns-wird-zu-viel-ueber-Real-Madrid-gesprochen.html

Again, since MW also has this alertness about the role of the spine they probably worked in accordance.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Thing is that many players seem to trust MW big time, and if they would prefer going there instead to some newly appointed doc, this would have a lot of fresh conflict potential.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:48 pm

They can go see him if they like, but we'd still have new team doctor (who I assume will be well qualified lol) present who'd treat them immediately, if they choose to be then further treated by MW why not.
Though after what Mull pulled yesterday I'm sure he'd not get granted competence to overrule any team doc decisions should there be disagreements.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:01 pm

Breaking news - Bild speculates about the succession of MW:
http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/bayern-muenchen/bayern-sucht-den-neuen-doc-40583570.bild.html
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:02 pm

The only thing that consoles me is that BILD online interns are probably not payed that much.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:18 pm

I think Dr.Oetker would be a nice choice as he could take care of the cooking, too Razz
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:12 pm

By the way, according to Sport BILD, it seems that Dr.Müller-Wohlfahrt will return to the Bayern fold in Summer. Supposedly he'll work as advisor for the medical department then.

Source: http://www.transfermarkt.de/muller-wohlfahrt-zuruck-zu-bayern-/view/news/224518
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down