Summer 2015 Special: How do we Improve Arsenal?

+23
6unner
Kaladin
Abramovich
Raptorgunner
VendettaRed07
free_cat
Twoism
MJ
Eman
Sina
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Chumlum
urbaNRoots
El Gunner
Jay29
silver
Gyarados Garrincha
Hapless_Hans
Sri
Kwame2u
Kick
Artilleristen
RealGunner
27 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Summer 2015 Special: How do we Improve Arsenal? Empty Summer 2015 Special: How do we Improve Arsenal?

Post by RealGunner Tue May 05, 2015 11:56 pm

Wanted to make this thread at the end of the season but with just 4 games to go and top 4 secured. Might as well get on with the subject we all want to talk about.

We we 3rd in the PL atm, level on points with City, with a game in hand. If we win that game we will be 2nd with 3 games to go. If we score enough in 2 of those and lose one of them then 2nd is basically guaranteed. At worst, we will finish 3rd.

This is important because it shows that we have improved from last year and with a Cup final to come as well, the only question now is that how do we go from being 2nd best team in the country to being the best.

Our Squad

Goalkeepers
Szczesny
Ospina
Martinez

Left Backs
Monreal
Gibbs

Centre Backs
Mertesacker
Koscielny
Gabriel
Chambers

Right Backs
Bellerin
Debuchy

Defensive Midfield
Coquelin
Arteta
Flamini

Central Midfield
Ramsey
Cazorla
Wilshere
Diaby

Attacking Midfield
Ozil
Rosicky
Oxlade

Left Forwards
Sanchez
Welbeck
Oxlade

Right Forwards
Walcott
Gnabry
Oxlade
Welbeck

Strikers
Giroud
Welbeck
Akpom

Fringe Players
Sanogo
Campbell
Jenkinson
Podolski
Miyaichi

---------------------------------------

Jay raised an interesting point in the other thread saying that the departures will play an important role this summer. Can expect most of the fringe players to leave but if someone as important as Cazorla leaves, then we might have to reconsider in investing someone like him. However most likely we won't, as we have CMs already who can play in his position.

So the question is, where do we spend the money on? Wenger said that he will be looking to buy World Class players if they are available. After Ozil and Sanchez, it will be difficult to match signings like them but not impossible.

Where do we improve our squad?

Defensive Midfield could do someone like Witsel/Kondogbia.
Maybe Moutinho?
If we send Chambers on loan then perhaps sign a CB so that when Chambers return, he will still have a place as Mertesacker will be 32 then.

What about striker? Giroud has performed exceptionally well this season but if someone interesting is available who plays upfront. Is it worth buying him?

If Theo leaves then we do need a goal scoring wide player for RW.

If Rosicky and Cazorla both leave then someone like Fekir is always welcome.

We are quite close to being a dominant team in the League. Our form since Jan has been incredible. We just need few signings to finally have a team that we deserve.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Summer 2015 Special: How do we Improve Arsenal? Empty Re: Summer 2015 Special: How do we Improve Arsenal?

Post by Artilleristen Wed May 06, 2015 12:15 am

get better strikers who can finish and has pace, and someone who plays dm better than coquelin to create competition at the position.  I would sell Debuchy, Bellerin is better than him, could get similar quality on lower wages, a CB to challenge Per.  I would loan out some of the younger guys like Gnabry, Martinez, Sanogo, Ryo.  Give Podolski and Campbell true chances.  Sell Jack, he isn't going to improve on the team. I think with his injuries and lack of vision he has hit his ceiling earlier than expected, which is unfortunate for him.
Artilleristen
Artilleristen
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Summer 2015 Special: How do we Improve Arsenal? Empty Re: Summer 2015 Special: How do we Improve Arsenal?

Post by Kick Wed May 06, 2015 3:25 am

Sell Ozil, Sanchez, Ramsey and Bellerin (if homegrown) to Chelsea.

Buy Mikel, Marin, Kakuta and Kane from Chelsea.

:coffee:

Spoiler:
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwame2u Wed May 06, 2015 7:22 am

How about listing the ages of each player as well, next to their name???

In defence, I would sell Debuchy and keep Jenkinson to compete with Bellerin;
Loan Chambers to one of the newly promoted teams, with a recall option (our annual injury plague).

DM: Sell Flamini and bank on Diaby to stay fit. Or sell both of them and bring in some1 to compete with LeCoq

CM: No change required (AR16 , AD24, JW10, SC19, TR7, FQ34)

AM: No Change (MO11, SC19, JW10, TR7, AD24, AR16)

WA: Sell Podolski, RYO and Campbell coz they clearly do not have futures here.

Striker: Perhaps one signing here (Lacazette)

Give the youngsters more chances as well as give Wellington a chance to integrate and find his place.

Last edited by Kwame2u on Wed May 06, 2015 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Kwame2u
Kwame2u
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed May 06, 2015 7:27 am

Nice post RG, but you should include internal solutions. There are bound to be one or the other who get promoted to the fringes to replace those who we might sell.

Will type more detailed thoughts later.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed May 06, 2015 8:42 am

Thread title should have been

"Transfer Special Summer 2015: We Don't Actually Need Anyone That Badly banana "
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed May 06, 2015 9:30 am

Hapless_Hans wrote:Thread title should have been

"Transfer Special Summer 2015: We Don't Actually Need Anyone That Badly banana "

We are The Arsenal. We always find a way.

We don't know who it is, but we will find him and we will sell him.

And by the end of August, we WILL be 1-2 players short.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Gyarados Garrincha Wed May 06, 2015 9:59 am

srigooner wrote:Nice post RG, but you should include internal solutions. There are bound to be one or the other who get promoted to the fringes to replace those who we might sell.

Will type more detailed thoughts later.

This post.

I was having thoughts about starting a new thread about which of our loanees has a future @ Arsenal.I think I'll better use this one to pour out my thoughts.

Below I've mentioned a list of players who've played for the first team/fringe first teamers/players who I feel should be given a run @ the first team and are AWOL.

Lukas Podolski
Carl Jenkinson
Yaya Sanogo
Joel Campbell
Chuba Akpom
Emiliano Martinez
Ryo Miyaichi  
Jon Toral
Wellington Silva  

Out of the above list Poldi is the one that's almost sure to leave either to Turkey(there was a rumor Gala/Fener tried to sign him this Jan or to FC Cologne).

Sadly,Jenks to should be on his way out not because of he's not good enough but because we already have Debuchy and Belle.Unlike some posts in this thread there's no way AW will sell Debuchy after just one season.He didn't buy him for that money just to sell him so soon.Further I feel we've not been able to see Debuchy's full potential this season due to several factors like WC,first season @ Arsenal & horrible injuries.We should wait for another season to see how good he is.He wouldn't be playing ahead of ex-favorite Sagna in the France NT if he wasn't good.

So,I believe Jenks will be on his way out this summer.Though I hope we are clever enough to have a buy-back clause so that we can do a Carvajal ourselves when Debuchy eventually returns to France.

That leaves us with 7 players in that list.

FANTASY FM POST AHEAD.

Out of which I personally feel Martinez should be our second GK iff we sell Woj.I personally felt he was good enough to be our second GK.Buying a top-class GK like Cech or Lloris will mean one of the good GKs will be on the bench for long periods of time which'll ultimately lead to us selling that GK(which I personally feel will be Ospina).Cech @ 32 and Lloris @ an even younger age will mean we'll never get to see how good/bad Martinez is.Personally I feel he should be given a fair chance to have a shot at the first team before we decide to sign any other GK.

Further my opinions on Emi have been vindicated by Rotherham boss Steve Evans.If we do sign another GK with Szczesny leaving rest assured Martinez will quit Arsenal.He was almost about to quit Arsenal this season.I hope AW gives him a run at the pre-season and then evaluate on whether he wants another GK or not.

Yaya Sanogo must be out on a season long loan @ a PL club maybe a newly promoted one where he can play week in & week out.If he can sort his legs out,he can possibly become a decent striker though I do personally hope he reaches his FM-level(50 goals every season and Ballon D'Or winner Laughing ).

Time has run out for Ryo I guess,unfortunately.Though I do hope he gets a chance for one last loan at some EPL club where he can play week in & week out.If he can get back to his Feyenoord days we won't be missing Theo if he does leave.If AW was ready to believe that Ramsey will return to his best after that horrific leg break,I hope he bestows his belief on young Ryo too.

I would like to see Toral go on a loan to a PL club as well.If he can replicate his form @ Brentford again next season at PL level while playing every week,we've got a decent midfielder in our hands.So instead of spending exorbitant fees on midfielders when our midfield exodus happens we can use Toral.

Chuba Akpom needs to be given more chances in the first team rather than those fleeting 5 minute sub apperances.He could after all be our long term striker solution.He's pacy alongwith all the physical attributes he has got which makes him slightly different from our main striking option Ollie G.Similarly I do hope,Campbell is given a fair chance as well.Poor guy wasn't given chances at all and was again sent on loan.If given consistent playing time I think he can turn out to be really really good.

Silva is the last on this list.Poor guy has had a totally topsy-turvy time in Europe Crying or Very sad.And only now has he got a Spanish passport after waiting for 5 long years.Leaving aside his attitude problems he does seem to have decent talent as shown in little glimpses during his inconsistent playing time at Spain,which was once again due to the fact he was almost always at the bench.

Now that he has got his passport I hope AW unleashes him at Arsenal to see some Samba magic.Hope he plays the entire pre-season with Arsenal first-teamers and we can get to see his talent.

P.S. I know,I know I got carried away but I have always wanted tricky wingers @ Arsenal,waltzing through side-backs with their back of tricks.

I also know that if we do wanna challenge for the EPL we need much more than what we can extract from our internal solutions but I just hope we give them a fair chance to have a crack at the first team before deciding to buy players.

P.P.S I know the post was long but can't help it.I wanted to start a thread about our loanees in the first place.Lastly,I know all this seems like a fairy tale but can't help the fact that I'm playing FM 2K14 Razz
Gyarados Garrincha
Gyarados Garrincha
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Wed May 06, 2015 10:16 am

I think some people are too hasty getting rid of experience. There's no reason to get rid of Debuchy especially since we only brought him a year ago, is only 29, and can play as an emergency CB. Jenkinson is finished. His level is West ham, not Arsenal.

GK, would definitely go for Cech or Lloris. Ospina is decent, but not world class. Szesesny should leave. He won't regain his starter jumper.

Happy with our CB options. Although does Wenger really see Chambers as a fourth CB option when he would rather play Debuchy there? No point buying a CB unless he is much much better than Mertesacker, and how many of those exist that are available and worth the value?

LB no reason not to stick with Monreal and Gibbs. Again, not many proven, value for money, available LBs out there. Although Gibbs really has to push on next season.

DM, Flamini is finished. Would keep Arteta at the club for experience and leadership only. I am completely satisfied having Coquelin as our starting DM, but he can't last the entire season and needs competition. We need someone who can replace Coquelin while also able to play with him if required. My ideal signing is Schneiderlin.

CM. Don't know how much we can really count on Diaby...Might as well keep him at the club if it is pay as you play deal, but won't be too missed if he goes.

I would really like to keep Rosicky here. Not just because of experience and longevity, but I still think he adds a lot to the team. He may not have the stamina to play two games a week, but I still think he's got a role off the bench - someone that can add a bit of spark and urgency to the team. His touch is world class, he's still got great acceleration. I also feel that when we regress into boring tippy-tappy, Rosicky adds that urgency, quick passing and directness to the team.

For wide forwards, it will depend on how Gnarby progresses. I thought he showed a lot of promise last season but hasn't pushed off at all this season. If Walcott leaves, we will need to bring someone in. I know there are a lot of rumours, but I think he will stay. There aren't many better teams than Arsenal that can offer him what he wants. With a proper pre-season, I really hope he can return to form.

I don't think there are too many forwards available that is better than what Giroud provides to the team. Don't think Cavani is that great and will cost a bomb. Reus is too injury prone and I think our team plays better with a target man that's also good on the ball. I don't want us going back to small midgets everywhere on the field and no one to cross the ball to in the box.
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed May 06, 2015 11:15 am

I agree with much of silver's post. What we don't want to do is fall into the trap of thinking that players in or approaching their 30s aren't good anymore and must be replaced by younger guys. Monreal and Cazorla are 29 and 30 respectively yet are having their best seasons in an Arsenal shirt, and Rosicky's best spell as a player with us has been between the ages of 32 and 34.

On that note, I feel it's important to keep this squad together as much as possible. That means keeping guys like Debuchy, Arteta, Cazorla and Rosicky. The more players we clear out, the more we'll have to sign to replace them. That should be a gradual process over the next two or three years, not something that should happen in one summer.

Notably, Wenger has said that his transfer plans have changed because of the emergence (or re-emergence) of Coquelin and Bellerin. If these two have done enough to convince him, then Jenkinson will be sold and he may think twice and spending big on another midfielder. You'd think that Coquelin wouldn't have signed a new deal if he wasn't assured of his place in the team. I do think, though, like many others, that Coquelin needs competition because Arteta, as much as I really like the guy as a player, probably isn't quite up to that anymore. We should look at the usual suspects here: Krychowiak, Kondogbia, Schneiderlin, etc.

The other area I'd want to strengthen is in goal. I wouldn't be opposed to Szczesny being moved on if it meant Cech or Lloris could take his place. Ospina's done well, but a team challenging for major trophies needs a keeper who can pull out the big saves when needed and be a calming yet commanding presence in the box. I'm not entirely convinced Ospina is that keeper right now. I'm opposed to relying too much on Emi Martinez when he's so young. Ideally, he should go on loan to a top division side, either in England or Spain.

Else where would depend on departures. If Walcott is sold than I'd like to see a striker take his place - maybe someone in the mould of Charlie Austin or Javier Hernandez who could make an impact coming off the bench. We have to bare in mind that if Walcott is struggling for playing time now, his replacement probably wouldn't get many starts, either. So in my mind, it'd be a bit wasteful to spend big money on a replacement. If Walcott stays, then I don't see a need to add to our attack since Giroud, Alexis, Welbeck, Chamberlain, Walcott and possibly Gnabry is plenty. Hell, I could probably include Ramsey in that list now.

In midfield, Rosicky would need a replacement if he leaves. Gnabry isn't a midfielder in my view, and Zelalem and Crowley have some growing to do before they're ready for the first team (and they're only 17/18, so no need to rush them into things). This would be an opportunity to bring in a young, exciting talent, like a Fekir or Dybala, or go with a riskier option like Jon Toral. I actually don't mind what we do here - whether we keep Rosicky or sell him and bring in a replacement - since I can't ask for much more than Ozil as our undisputed number ten.

For once, the back four is fine. Even if Chambers goes on loan, we do have Monreal and Debuchy to cover at centre back.

So in summation, look to sign a first team keeper and holding midfielder regardless of departures. Cech, Lloris, Kondogbia, Schneiderlin, Krychowiak, whoever. If we do that and not sell anyone, we'll have an excellent squad.

If Rosicky and Walcott leave, than an AM and CF should be brought in. God forbid, if Cazorla goes as well then I'd want to us to spend big on a replacement.

I guess this would be my "dream team":

Lloris

Bellerin - Mertesacker - Koscielny - Monreal

Cazorla - Kondogbia/Coquelin

Ramsey* - Ozil - Alexis

Giroud

* I'm warming up this idea, and am starting to think it could be his long term position for us if Cazorla stays at CM.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed May 06, 2015 11:58 am

What we SHOULDN'T do is try and shoe horn players into positions which ill-fit them, just to get all AMs playing or something like that.

We have seen enough of that stuff. It is also harmful to the chemistry. That said, I am convinced that Wenger will tweak things again this summer.

One flaw I see in the reasoning of all above posts is an implicit assumption that we will maintain this formation. We've been doing well, but we have also struggled here and there. That's why I fully expect Wenger to tinker with things again.

The other thing is to think in terms of a squad of 25, instead of a starting 11. I think we always end up thinking of a starting 11 or the 'two players for each position' line-up. We should try to break down the specific roles and responsibilities of each player/position and see how they are addressed
best.

Bah. It would be too much work and need a change in the way we think about football teams, as fans. Sort of like reverse engineering how top managers think of their options.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed May 06, 2015 12:07 pm

silver wrote:I think some people are too hasty getting rid of experience. There's no reason to get rid of Debuchy especially since we only brought him a year ago, is only 29, and can play as an emergency CB. Jenkinson is finished. His level is West ham, not Arsenal.
Amen
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed May 06, 2015 2:13 pm

I believe we have the right number of players right now, so all we need to do is replace departed players with more quality.

First of all, if a world class goalkeeper is available then I wouldn't be against selling Szczesny but only if one is available. I don't even want to consider the likes of Begovic, Leno or whatever else we've been linked with. So the GK situation for me is: 1) Sign World Class or close to World Class goalkeeper, 2) Keep Szczesny if there's none we can sign. Cech or Lloris.

In midfield, Flamini will be gone and he needs a replacement - but our new midfielder needs to be able to be a backup for Coquelin but also to play aside him in case Ramsey/Wilshere are injured which they are likely to be if we are honest. My first choice is Schneiderlin because I've seen him and know what he can do, I believe he would fit right in our midfield and can do both roles perfectly. Sami Khedira as a free agent would be my second choice. I've not seen enough of Kondogbia but if he can do both roles as CM and DM then I'm all for him too especially if he costs less.

In attack unless Theo Walcott is sold we don't need anything, we should do everything to keep him. But we have to consider that he might leave and I agree with Jay that I would replace him with a striker because we have enough RW options from speedsters (Oxlade-Chamberlain) to technically strong players when we need to dominate possession (Ramsey, Wilshere) to a combination of both (Welbeck). Now who I would sign might be controversial but I believe he would fit right in with our midfielders backing him up. The man  is...Radamel Falcao on loan. I've watched many Man Utd games this season and what I've seen is Falcao clearly lacking in confidence, missing easy chances, getting benched regularly, van Gaal is even ruining di Maria who was considered a top 5 player last season. What he still has is the quality of runs, his strong heading ability. All that guy needs is some confidence from his manager and Arsene Wenger could provide that... of course having Cazorla/Ramsey/Wilshere/Özil behind would help his goalscoring record too. Higuain would be another option for me but he might prove too expensive.

So yeah if we're lucky and these players are available that's what I'd do with our squad in the summer...

Cech (Ospina)
Bellerin (Debuchy) Mertesacker (Chambers) Koscielny (Gabriel) Monreal (Gibbs)
Coquelin (Schneiderlin) Cazorla (Wilshere)
Ramsey (Chamberlain) Özil (Rosicky) Alexis (Welbeck)
Giroud (Falcao)

If Walcott stays then the same only replace Falcao with him
Cech (Ospina)
Bellerin (Debuchy) Mertesacker (Chambers) Koscielny (Gabriel) Monreal (Gibbs)
Coquelin (Schneiderlin) Cazorla (Wilshere)
Ramsey (Walcott) Özil (Rosicky) Alexis (Chamberlain)
Giroud (Welbeck)
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Wed May 06, 2015 3:03 pm

Tactics

Keep the Wengerball, but also keep the recent, tempering grit & pragmatism. Part of this involves keeping “the Coquelin role,” the energetic defensive midfielder. It's worked so well. I don't care about one stable formation in particular ... circumstances can easily shift a 4231 into a 433 into a 4141. The key is simply that there's an alert guy deep in the middle of the park who's covering players and able to make good tackles/interceptions and--crucially--is able to integrate well with his teammates. Coquelin has done an outstanding job in this role this year. Even if we splash the cash on another DM this summer (lol), le Coq deserves to start next season with ample game time.

Transfers Out

Offload - Flamini, Diaby ( Crying or Very sad ), Jenkinson ( Crying or Very sad ), Podolski, Campbell … probably even Rosicky since he's not going to get more game time than he already does ( Crying or Very sad )
Loan out - Gnabry, Sanogo, Zelalem, Akpom (among others)
Sell if the right realistic opportunity (including signing an upgrade) arises - Arteta, Walcott, Szczesny
Avoid selling unless silly money is offered - Cazorla, Wilshere, Debuchy

I'm always open to revision of plans like these. If Akpom is looking terrific and well-integrated in pre-season, for example, give him a real shot at the first team.

Transfers In

Really we're entering the off-season in the best shape we've had in quite a while. We're a little short of quality, but less so than in any summer in recent memory. I think we definitely need a deep midfield signing. A lot of the usual suspects would be good acquisitions, even if some veer more toward Arteta-esque metronome passing, and others are more all-action types. Personally I think with Cazorla playing a bit deeper, the need for an Arteta type is obviated. So ...

DM. Kondogbia, Schneiderlin, Krychowiak ... would all be players I'd welcome. Worthwhile to spend £15-25 mil here.

FW. Unless Theo goes I'm not sure this is necessary. Giroud/Welbeck is not the most fearsome pair of options up top in the PL, but the former has done so well this season, and the latter still has yet to show us his best. I don't see Wenger being so ruthless he offloads one of these guys, or relegates them both to the bench. Still, if circumstances & departures permit, I'd love to see us in for Lacazette.

GK. Again, we're in pretty good shape, it's just a question of whether an upgrade is of sufficient quality to potentially disrupt the squad. Cech? Lloris? Both would be first choice keepers here. Szczesny would have to go.

Otherwise I'd want to see us get a couple of promising teenagers, maybe in defense or attacking mid / wide players who can push for a little first team action but are otherwise investments in the future.

Wild Card

Wenger decides to shake it up and do something big and unexpected in this market, like go for Pogba or Benzema or something. Those two players are just examples out of a hat, but I mean, someone who can be a "marquee" this summer and maybe not seem exactly what we need. Özil and Alexis have both come in the past few summers without seeming to fill quite what most fans thought we were missing, positionally speaking. But Wenger saw the opportunities, knew their quality, and worried about tinkering with tactics later. Maybe he'll do the same again this summer.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed May 06, 2015 3:54 pm

Özil from Madrid.

Alexis from Barca.

A star from Bayern next? hmm

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed May 06, 2015 4:33 pm

srigooner wrote:What we SHOULDN'T do is try and shoe horn players into positions which ill-fit them, just to get all AMs playing or something like that.

We have seen enough of that stuff. It is also harmful to the chemistry. That said, I am convinced that Wenger will tweak things again this summer.

One flaw I see in the reasoning of all above posts is an implicit assumption that we will maintain this formation. We've been doing well, but we have also struggled here and there. That's why I fully expect Wenger to tinker with things again.

The other thing is to think in terms of a squad of 25, instead of a starting 11. I think we always end up thinking of a starting 11 or the 'two players for each position' line-up. We should try to break down the specific roles and responsibilities of each player/position and see how they are addressed
best.

Bah. It would be too much work and need a change in the way we think about football teams, as fans. Sort of like reverse engineering how top managers think of their options.

Is it actually harmful to our chemistry, though?

Cazorla playing CM has made us a better team. Ramsey's production has gone up since he started playing on the right. When you think of their respective skillsets, the temptation would be swap them around but if it works the way it is then keep it as it is.

Bare in mind that last season we played three AMs and it worked well. The key difference now is that we have more variation in the three we play, with Alexis adding pace and dribbling and Ramsey being a goalscorer. Alexis and Ramsey are workhorses, too. Last year's trio Cazorla/Ozil/Rosicky was very samey.

As far as the formation goes, we're only going to be playing two: 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1, and the only difference between the two is that one will have Ozil centrally and the other will have him out wide.

We had a big squad this season; so big that players had to leave in January to get playing time. Having 25 players is a bit pointless in the end because ideally teams will only use 22 or 23 in a season, so two or three will end up not playing and leaving.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed May 06, 2015 4:36 pm

srigooner wrote:Özil from Madrid.

Alexis from Barca.

Ozil Madrid

Alexis Barca

Welbeck Man Utd

Clearly Chelsea's next hmm

Either Cech.... or Mikel banana
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed May 06, 2015 4:38 pm

Alexis from Barca.

Dante tbh.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed May 06, 2015 5:02 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:

Alexis from Barca.

Ozil Madrid

Alexis Barca

Welbeck Man Utd

Clearly Chelsea's next hmm

Either Cech.... or Mikel banana

Come now. Chelsea are not the same super club class. And you needn't worry. If the trend continues, we'd only be signing an attacker who you would be replacing with a big money signing banana

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:

Alexis from Barca.

Dante tbh.

hmm

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed May 06, 2015 5:03 pm

Pizarro hmm Weiser hmm
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed May 06, 2015 5:11 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:
srigooner wrote:What we SHOULDN'T do is try and shoe horn players into positions which ill-fit them, just to get all AMs playing or something like that.

best.

Is it actually harmful to our chemistry, though?

Cazorla playing CM has made us a better team. Ramsey's production has gone up since he started playing on the right. When you think of their respective skillsets, the temptation would be swap them around but if it works the way it is then keep it as it is.

Bare in mind that last season we played three AMs and it worked well. The key difference now is that we have more variation in the three we play, with Alexis adding pace and dribbling and Ramsey being a goalscorer. Alexis and Ramsey are workhorses, too. Last year's trio Cazorla/Ozil/Rosicky was very samey.

As far as the formation goes, we're only going to be playing two: 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1, and the only difference between the two is that one will have Ozil centrally and the other will have him out wide.

We had a big squad this season; so big that players had to leave in January to get playing time. Having 25 players is a bit pointless in the end because ideally teams will only use 22 or 23 in a season, so two or three will end up not playing and leaving.

But that's just it. Ramsey on RW or 4-1-4-1 with Özil wide - it all took time to get better. My point is, experimenting in preseason is alright, but not dropping points once the season gets under way by experimenting where it is riskier.

Formations: 4-1-4-1 was something left field which nobody saw coming. I wouldn't be surprised if AW tweaks and tinkers again. He admitted earlier this season that the continental trend was moving towards 3 defenders at the back. I wouldn't be surprised if he has an eye on such things. He also said he wants 15-20 goals coming from other players (not necessarily a new one). Ultimately, his aim will be to improve goals scored and reduce conceding.

My count of 25 also includes the youth/reserves who can step up when the inevitable injury crisis hits. It is also important from the homegrown rule POV to consider the entire 25 and not just 18-22. We have had a better bench strength this season than previous years, but I see this as the focus of transfer activity this summer.

hmm

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed May 06, 2015 5:11 pm

Pizarro would bench Giroud and make them stronger, not a good idea imo.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed May 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:Pizarro hmm Weiser hmm

Didn't play as important a role as Özil/Alexis did in their respective last seasons hmm

Müller. hmm

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed May 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Pizarro would bench Giroud and make them stronger, not a good idea imo.

Özil and Alexis also did make us stronger. Don't hate.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed May 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Sadly, Pizarro, who is one of my favourite players ever, isn't physically up to it anymore.

Obviously Wenger would want Martinez, Alaba or Lewandowski, neither of which he's going to get.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next