jibers
VivaStPauli
Art Morte
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Hapless_Hans
22 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Pep at Bayern 2015 - two seasons in. Empty Pep at Bayern 2015 - two seasons in.

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue May 12, 2015 12:16 pm

Just a thread to unite the stuff discussed in diverse other threads.

To kick it off, an item worth reading in full.

http://www.espnfc.com/club/bayern-munich/132/blog/post/2444505/pep-guardiola-retains-bayern-munich-faith-raf-honigstein

Last edited by Hapless_Hans on Mon May 18, 2015 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Pep at Bayern 2015 - two seasons in. Empty Re: Pep at Bayern 2015 - two seasons in.

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue May 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Modern football is drenched in nostalgia but it has no memory. None of the TV pundits, journalists and social media commentators who eulogise Heynckes' "more direct" side that won the treble in 2013 seem to recall that team passing Juventus to death, Barcelona-style, in the quarterfinal of the same year or Bayern choking on their own possession stats in the final "at home" vs. Chelsea 12 months earlier. You won't hear of the discontent that was prevalent within the club at the time either.

It doesn't fit with the current story of Pep Guardiola destroying Heynckes' treble winners, so it can't have happened. What also hasn't happened, because it can't have happened, was Bayern beating sides like Roma (7-1), Porto (6-1), Man City (3-1) and Shakhtar Donetsk (7-0) under Guardiola, playing attacking football of a quality and refinement that had never been seen in Munich in the modern era.

There's a lot of people who won't like that Laughing

One thing is clear though, Bayern need to get younger and better in attacking areas. Regardless of the manager.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Pep at Bayern 2015 - two seasons in. Empty Re: Pep at Bayern 2015 - two seasons in.

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue May 12, 2015 12:30 pm

That's the thing I was telling Viva numerous times. If Pep had been our coach in the Chelsea final, lord have mercy on us all Laughing

we would have never heard the end of the missing 'plan B' lol.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue May 12, 2015 1:39 pm

Guardiola has done all right at Bayern. It's not easy to take over a team that has just won everything in spectacular style and maintain that peak.

The team Guardiola inherited was so good that Bayern were always going to win these last two Bundesliga titles even if Martin Jol was the manager. The real challenge for Guardiola kicks off now: Can he get Pay'em Munich on the rise again? Domestically increase the distance to the rest again and catch up and surpass the big European rivals (i.e. win the CL).
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue May 12, 2015 2:04 pm

No he's been shit. And to that quote, while those are nice wins, I don't know why the 3-1 against City is included, since I think that's a pretty "normal" result, while Heynckes' Bayern beat Barcelona 4-0 and 0-3, as well as actually winning the pot.

Passing past Juve? Yes, but with much more willingness to lose the ball if it meant getting a shot at goal. Also that was the smart thing to do and a tactical decision. Against Barcelona they didn't pass past them, they fought through them. They reacted appropriately to the different midfields they faced, and the challenges that brought with it.

Now they just try to hog possession in every game. Even now, 0-3 down against Barcelona, Peps response in the press conference was insisting on his team needing lots of possession.
I'm not saying possession is the exact wrong strategy, but he should focus on tons of things, and that he harps on about possession, again, shows me what an utterly mono-thematic tit he is.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue May 12, 2015 2:12 pm

Viva you always seem to always go back to that Barcelona tie. For all he praise bayern got you do realise hat barca hadn't had a proper training session for like 2 months prior to that tie and Madrid reserves battered them 3-1? Had Barcelona been fit and had a fully firing Messi I doubt that toe would have gone anything like that. they facedetection a Barcelona in as bad a patch as they were under Rijkaard so last few months, maybe even worse. Stop going on about it. In the final dante should have been sent off, where would Juups masterclass have been then? I suppose we should also forget them dominating arsenal in the Allianz arena...or the dominating performances they had against bvb in the 4 times they met that season, or how about the pokal qf where they were passing back am forth doing nothing with the ball and had to be bailed out by Robben? I suppose his masterclass was shown when BVB smashed bayern 5-2.

You just have irrational hate for Pep. When all the players are fully fit and firing they played better football than anything Juups side ever produced. add to the fact that Juups side had hungtier players and there was also a lack of arrogance around the club. I suppose reaching a semis in the hardest tournament in club football is a failure.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue May 12, 2015 2:39 pm

Oh, I just mentioned the Barca tie because the quoted article mentioned it, and the recent high wins. I know Barcelona was nowhere near full strength, my bigger point would be that they used to adapt their play style to the circumstances, while Pep adjusts his tactical outlines mostly to further the ever-same goal: possession, and when they got it, his teams don't seem to know how to do anything with it despite pass to the best individualist in the team. Bayern have gotten worse in chance creation and started relying more on Robben, and Ribéry, which is nice, until they're injured. At least Jupps Bayern had working team play in the final third.

Current Bayern only know how to keep the ball, they've forgotten what to do with it. Pep isn't overall a shit coach of course, there's lots of things Bayern do well, even under him, it's just that they've gotten more one-dimensional.
And dear god, subbing off Müller? The humanity!
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Tue May 12, 2015 3:21 pm

according to peptards :

he's blameless in both CL humiliations .
he should get credit for Germany's world cup win .
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue May 12, 2015 3:23 pm

what's your view then, farfan, since I take it you do not agree with those 'peptards' whoever they are.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Tue May 12, 2015 3:32 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:what's your view then, farfan, since I take it you do not agree with those 'peptards' whoever they are.

i think that  he inherited a perfect team that should be able  to win the league on auto pilot  in a fairly non competitive league .
i also think that he failed miserably in Europe and wasn't able  to duplicate the success of his predecessor . he got completely outsmarted by Ancelotti last year and got rekt by barça this year .
incidentally , the two teams that jupp heynckes eliminated on route to two consecutive CL finals .
basically , i'm not impressed .  Pep is doing the bare minimum that any half descent  coach  would be able to do with this team .
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue May 12, 2015 3:42 pm

farfan wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:what's your view then, farfan, since I take it you do not agree with those 'peptards' whoever they are.

i think that  he inherited a perfect team that should be able  to win the league on auto pilot  in a fairly non competitive league .
i also think that he failed miserably in Europe and wasn't able  to duplicate the success of his predecessor . he got completely outsmarted by Ancelotti last year and got rekt by barça this year .
incidentally , the two teams that jupp heynckes eliminated on route to two consecutive CL finals .
basically , i'm not impressed .  Pep is doing the bare minimum that any half descent  coach  would be able to do with this team .

So Juup wasnt half decent the season before when they got a losers treble? Interdasting cheers
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Tue May 12, 2015 3:52 pm

jibers wrote:
farfan wrote:

So Juup wasnt half decent the season before when they got a losers treble? Interdasting cheers

yeah ,because apparently the circumstances were exactly the same . Laughing

Jupp reached the final with freaking Gomez upfront and was up against prime Dortmund in the league .
not to mention that he took over a disorganized team that won jack squat the previous season and suffered a humiliating early exit in the CL .
Pep took over a treble winning team that kept all its stars and signed the best player from their main rival .

no matter how you slice it , Pep under performed.
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue May 12, 2015 3:56 pm

Domestic double and Cl semis, 'underperformed' lol

you couldn't make it up :facepalm:
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Tue May 12, 2015 3:59 pm

Bayern only signed Guardiola who offered a significant name and what seemed like the most comfortable way to dominate European football. If they only wanted to win the Bundesliga, they could have easily hired a second-rate coach.

As far as I am concerned, Guardiola is a failure at Bayern unless he wins the Champions League, or he does something utterly remarkable that I can't think of. Those are extremely high expectations, but Guardiola is an extremely good coach.

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Tue May 12, 2015 4:02 pm

And I disagree with the assertion that Guardiola has no plan-B and that he cannot adapt to the opposition. Since he has joined Bayern, they have played a variety of different ways - one of the most notable being when they used Javi Martínez as a target man against Dortmund (?).

I can't stress enough how important Ribéry and Robben are to Bayern and how big of a downgrade Götze and the rest are. In my opinion, that's the biggest reason why Bayern were so poor against Barça (not to mention Alaba missing). Last season's disgrace against Real Madrid is something you can fully blame on Guardiola. It was a shocking result, especially at the Allianz Arena.

It would be more understandable if Bayern were losing against Real Madrid and Barcelona by close scores. But 5-0 and 3-0? Unacceptable.

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Tue May 12, 2015 4:05 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:Domestic double and Cl semis, 'underperformed' lol

i'm pretty sure the Bayern brass had two consecutive semi final  humiliations in mind when they signed the best coach in europe .

it might not be fair ,but when you come with an exorbitant salary ,a reputation as the best coach in a europe  , and as a replacement of a recently fired champions league winning coach, there are extremely high expectations.
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue May 12, 2015 4:09 pm

farfan wrote:

i'm pretty sure the Bayern brass had two consecutive semi final  humiliations in mind when they signed the best coach in europe .

it might not be fair ,but when you come with an exorbitant salary ,a reputation as the best coach in a europe  , and as a replacement of a recently fired champions league winning coach, there are extremely high exceptions.

Fired? Juup wasn't fired. At least get your facts right. He refused to commit because everyone and the players doubted him after that losers treble so he wasn't renewing. Bayern hired Pep as his replacement in December that year! Fired Laughing

The myth that trebe season has brought about is unreal.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Tue May 12, 2015 4:13 pm

jibers wrote:
farfan wrote:

it might not be fair ,but when you come with an exorbitant salary ,a reputation as the best coach in a europe  , and as a replacement of a recently fired champions league winning coach, there are extremely high exceptions.

Fired? Juup wasn't fired. At least get your facts right. He refused to commit because everyone and the players doubted him after that losers treble so he wasn't renewing. Bayern hired Pep as his replacement in December that year! Fired Laughing

jesus christ 'im just overly dramatizing the situation for Pep .
couldn't you let that one slide ffs ? :facepalm:
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue May 12, 2015 4:16 pm

farfan wrote:
jibers wrote:
farfan wrote:

jesus christ 'im just overly dramatizing the situation for Pep .
couldn't you let that one slide ffs ? :facepalm:

Proud
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Muppet Tue May 12, 2015 4:17 pm

There's no justifying his appointment or the job he's done.
Muppet
Muppet
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue May 12, 2015 4:19 pm

Muppet wrote:There's no justifying his appointment or the job he's done.

So who should they have appointed then?
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Muppet Tue May 12, 2015 4:21 pm

They didn't have to appoint anyone.
Muppet
Muppet
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue May 12, 2015 4:21 pm

Yep jibers. Jupp's contract ended, and Pep was available.

It's a no brainer, really.

Also apparently, if a team wins a treble they win the treble next season too.
That's what always happens right?
Everything short of that is a failure and an embarrassment for the coach..
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Tue May 12, 2015 4:23 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:Yep jibers. Jupp's contract ended, and Pep was available.

how about not getting absolutely destroyed in the semis at home ? that would've been more acceptable .
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Muppet Tue May 12, 2015 4:28 pm

farfan wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:Yep jibers. Jupp's contract ended, and Pep was available.

how about not getting absolutely destroyed in the semis at home ? that would've been more acceptable .

The apologetics aren't interested in reality.
Muppet
Muppet
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next