Twoism
McAgger
Hapless_Hans
El Gunner
RealGunner
47 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by MJ Sat May 30, 2015 9:59 pm

LMAO

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by B-Mac Sat May 30, 2015 10:11 pm

RealGunner wrote:Interesting from Arsene

on Arturo Vidal…
Arturo Vidal? You must have spoken to RG at GL. Yes I asked him to scout on Fifa. He has given me his full backing and we submitted a cheeky bid just now. Vidal desperately wants to play with Wilshere and we will make sure that happens next season

Read more at http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20150530/wenger-on-fa-cup-win-alexis-and-walcott#p4ld6H8xO2G2Mgh4.99

Laughing
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:55 pm

MJ wrote:So now that we can officially rule out Petr Cech, there are rumors about interest in Fernando Muslera.

Any comments, thoughts on him?
I have never rated him at all. Very rarely makes anything beyond simple saves, doesn't command his area that well in the games I've seen, and I remember a couple of years ago that a Galatasaray owner or executive claimed he was worth upwards of 40mil Euros. I wouldn't swap any of our keepers for him.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:48 pm

Flamini, Diaby and Podolski all set to leave.

Hopefully Joel too.

Arteta and Rosicky set to sign extensions though which is good.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:52 am

Eman wrote:
MJ wrote:So now that we can officially rule out Petr Cech, there are rumors about interest in Fernando Muslera.

Any comments, thoughts on him?
I have never rated him at all. Very rarely makes anything beyond simple saves, doesn't command his area that well in the games I've seen, and I remember a couple of years ago that a Galatasaray owner or executive claimed he was worth upwards of 40mil Euros. I wouldn't swap any of our keepers for him.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i read that one as a joke
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:56 pm

Seems there are a few decent strikers on the market. Jackson Martinez apparently has a £25million release clause and has already said he's leaving, Lacazette has strongly hinted at a move and, well, no Champions League football at Napoli could make Higuain a viable option.

Wonder if we'd actually take a stab at any of 'em though. Especially if/when we tie Walcott down to a new deal.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:24 pm

Agreed.

Lots of strikers who are/could be available this summer, Wenger has a chance to choose the best of them/different style that is needed: Higuain, Falcao, Lacazette, Icardi, Bacca.

Unless Walcott leaves it won't happen though and if he does he will try to sign Sterling instead. Sterling fits in all of Wenger's plans, versatile attacking midfielder who can play striker if needed. And it enables Wenger's initial plans to play Alexis as a central striker.

Coquelin - Cazorla/Ramsey
Özil
Chambo/Jack - Alexis - Sterling
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:55 pm

There is no point getting slight upgrades tbh. Names like Jackson Martinez is nice and all but is he really that much better than Giroud?

We have a fantastic squad with genuine WC players. We need to keep our transfer policy the same as last few years and add in more WC players. Probably not worth wasting 30 odd million on someone who is a bit better but not all that better.

I know that's really difficult to do as the likes of Benzema are unattainable.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:17 pm

We do need another option for centre forward, since beyond Giroud we only have Sanogo (not good enough) and Akpom (too inexperienced). I think the club want Walcott to be that option now, though, if we go by Wenger's recent comments. And I suppose if you compare the money it'd take to bring in a new striker (£20mil+ for sure) to the extra wages Walcott would want, Walcott would be the cheaper investment.

As we found out this year, having a bunch of guys who can play in attack is good for a couple of months before one or two find themselves out the squad because there's simply not enough games to go around. I can see something similar happening again if we had Giroud, Walcott and a new striker as well.

So yeah, all depends on Walcott.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Don't forget Welbeck.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:40 pm

with our current options in attack we cant have both Theo and Welbz JUST as wide forwards

one of them has to learn the #9 role and out of the two i would rather Welbeck given skill-sets to become #9 and Theo stay wide forward as he has been bar especial occasions that we can use him up top
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:12 pm

Well I'm not convinced Wenger trusts either of them ahead of Giroud to play consistently week in week out.

Welbeck couldn't get a game ahead of Giroud no matter how bad Giroud played at times and preferred playing him wide. Welbeck has huge potential as a #9 but I get the feeling that Wenger doesn't see this, he sees him as another who can complement Giroud rather than replace him.

Same with Walcott, who pretty much performs/scores every time he plays centrally and has to score a hattrick to convince Wenger to bench the utterly out of form Giroud.

Honestly I wouldn't ask for a striker if I knew that Wenger would give these two the same chances as he does Giroud but I don't see it based on past seasons.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:33 pm

After this season, I think it's safe to say Welbeck isn't a 9 striker. Not at this level.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:58 pm

We need a better striker if we want to win the league.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:36 pm

He barely even played up front, assuming he wasn't injured and there was a better option to play on the wing at the same time. While Theo and Giroud were injured, and it became clear that Alexis was better on the wing, Welbeck started up front with Ox on the right. When Özil came back, Ox was injured and Welbeck moved to the right. Coincidentally, Giroud became available from December as well.

Don't think there was a run of games where both were fit and and in form and Wenger had to make a choice. When Giroud's form tailed off, Welbeck was injured and Theo got the nod up front.

Reflecting on the season and considering the players available for selection based on fitness and form for a run of games, it is quite ignorant to claim to that Giroud was shown any favouritism or that Welbeck is a shit player to lead a top level front line.

That said, he does have room for improving his finishing and fitness levels. I am not too worried, because he is what, 24? And when did RvP finally get over his fitness? 28?

Talk about knee jerk.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:39 pm

Don't get me wrong. If an Özil/Alexis level player is available, I am all for spending on said player.

But Özil and Alexis respectively added multiple dimensions to our squad. Like RG said, Benzema would probably be such a player.

What I will not accept is talking shit about the players we have right now, only because we are driven by the adrenaline of making a splash at the market for the next big name available.

I will not forget the cries and derision when Liverpool signed Balotelli and City signed Jovetic and United splashed on Falcao's loan. And see where they ended up.

We could do with a Costa or an Aguero class of striker, no doubt about it.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:54 pm

srigooner wrote:He barely even played up front, assuming he wasn't injured and there was a better option to play on the wing at the same time. While Theo and Giroud were injured, and it became clear that Alexis was better on the wing, Welbeck started up front with Ox on the right. When Özil came back, Ox was injured and Welbeck moved to the right. Coincidentally, Giroud became available from December as well.

Don't think there was a run of games where both were fit and and in form and Wenger had to make a choice. When Giroud's form tailed off, Welbeck was injured and Theo got the nod up front.

Reflecting on the season and considering the players available for selection based on fitness and form for a run of games, it is quite ignorant to claim to that Giroud was shown any favouritism or that Welbeck is a shit player to lead a top level front line.

That said, he does have room for improving his finishing and fitness levels. I am not too worried, because he is what, 24? And when did RvP finally get over his fitness? 28?

Talk about knee jerk.

He's not a shit player. And it's not based just on this season, it's been his whole career. To me he's a much more effective premier league player on the wing. He works hard, stretches the defense, and just overall helps out the team. I like him there. But upfront alone he does nothing. It's not just do to lack of skill either he really just doesn't seem to want to score as weird as that sounds. He looks out for everyone else wayy to much. I just can't see him ever being effective uptop. He just seems to lack goal scoring instincts. And that's ok, because he's still a good player and we can use him elsewhere
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:44 pm

I think he's been brought up that way - much of his footballing career, despite him not wanting it, has been on the wings because SAF only ever played him there.

For him, playing up front and leading the line, would therefore not be easy right away. He basically has to unlearn the movement and mindset characteristic of a wide player and rediscover his original attributes as a frontman. That's not easy and wouldn't happen overnight - especially not when his injuries and form dovetail with Giroud's in his first season at a new club and setup.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:47 pm

Oh, and don't take my comment personally Vendetta - it was more of a general remark. We, as a fanbase in this time and age, are only too eager to throw even good and loyal players under the bus for new shiny toys. Transfer market sillyness and buying players just for the sake of buying seem more predominant. And every time the transfer season comes around, we jump at the slightest opportunity of throwing vitriol at players who haven't had a 10/10 season - completely disregarding any mitigating circumstances.

It is that sort of mindset that I want to challenge/vent out against.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:56 pm

The reason why I didn't mention Welbeck in the discussion was because, in my view, he had found his position on the flanks. His performances there were good, and when everybody was fit that was where he played, ahead of the likes of Walcott and Chamberlain. And there were games where even when Giroud wasn't fit, Welbeck played from the right or left and Alexis down the middle.

This isn't a knock against his suitability to play up front, just an observation.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:02 pm

As much as I love Walcott, I still feel uneasy when he starts upfront. He can score goals for sure. However we really seem weak down the middle as he struggles to link up and it's not his style to drop deep when required. He is the type of striker who will play right up with the last man and try to break the offside trap to run in behind. Like Owen

But is that really our style? Even in the FA cup final, Walcott's goal came when Sanchez moved in the middle. I know Walcott loves to play as a striker, but his best position is as a wide forward and he really should make it his own instead of trying to play upfront.

We can mix and match and play him down the middle when there is an opportunity, but to play a whole season with him upfront doesn't fill me with confidence. Like I said before, we need someone who is a lot better than Giroud (Not that giroud is a scrub, he is easily a tier 2 striker). But finding one will be near impossible unless we try and gamble on Cavani or Higuain.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:23 pm

srigooner wrote:
We could do with an Aguero class of striker, no doubt about it.

That's better.

A friend and I were discussing the possibility of Benzema if Rafa Benitez mixes too much up at Real Madrid and he suddenly becomes available and it's clear that Wenger has always liked him and would move for him if given the chance. He did, however, note that Wenger might be hesitant to place two established internationals competing for the lone role in a 4-2-3-1 as it could damage the other's chances when it comes time to play for country.

I still think it's a weak con to look at but I think it would take something irresistible to get us to move for a striker and Benzema is going for at least £35million+.

Higuain, on the other hand, has had a relatively poor season by his standards. Yes, he scored 18 in the league but was more wasteful than he was last season and bottled Napoli's chance to get back into the CL and we all know what happened in the World Cup so we could get him cheaper than Benzema, I feel. But no links or rumors yet.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:42 pm

I see both Cavani and Higuain, on the back of this season past, as high risk options.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:47 pm

RealGunner wrote:As much as I love Walcott, I still feel uneasy when he starts upfront. He can score goals for sure. However we really seem weak down the middle as he struggles to link up and it's not his style to drop deep when required. He is the type of striker who will play right up with the last man and try to break the offside trap to run in behind. Like Owen

But is that really our style? Even in the FA cup final, Walcott's goal came when Sanchez moved in the middle. I know Walcott loves to play as a striker, but his best position is as a wide forward and he really should make it his own instead of trying to play upfront.

We can mix and match and play him down the middle when there is an opportunity, but to play a whole season with him upfront doesn't fill me with confidence. Like I said before, we need someone who is a lot better than Giroud (Not that giroud is a scrub, he is easily a tier 2 striker). But finding one will be near impossible unless we try and gamble on Cavani or Higuain.

For me the big difference when Walcott plays down the middle is how it effects everyone else. It just goes to show how much we need a striker with pace because it opens the game for everybody. I feel like that frustrating, slow, aimless play we seem to fall into so much during the season doesn't really happen when Walcott plays down the middle (atleast as much). We need more speed in the attack almost every game because it opens up the game for everybody, we are so predictable it's sad at times when we play slowly. Walcott struggles to link up but he still manages to score when he plays there because we just create so many more scoring opportunities.

I'm not sure if cavani would help us at all there. But I think Higuain would be really good with us and help our offense flow much better than it has at times
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:15 pm

It's about mobility and quick decisions imo, I like Giroud but he slows down attacks considerably and makes space for those around compact, one of the biggest things I noticed in the cup final was how quickly decisions were made because of Walcott and Sanchez.

It gave a lot more room for Ozil and Cazorla to operate, I would look at that as a template but it will require patience as sometimes certain players will rush it and force passes that doesn't need to be made and make attacks stagnant.

Not saying Walcott is the answer but I think the template of Walcott is, as in pace and quick decisions.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Artilleristen Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:01 pm

srigooner wrote:I see both Cavani and Higuain, on the back of this season past, as high risk options.

a higher risk than wellbeck, he scored 4 goals, theo scored more than that and played less. Wellbeck is 100% a bigger risk than not buying someone, if Giroud gets injured he will be kicking field goals. Cavani and Higauin are at least proven GOALSCORERS.
Artilleristen
Artilleristen
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next