Twoism
McAgger
Hapless_Hans
El Gunner
RealGunner
47 posters

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 25 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by Sina Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:28 pm

William links are back it seems

Sporting Lisbon's William Carvalho is a priority for Arsenal aiming for a fee of around £30 million. [@marcoslopez]

Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 25 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by Highburied Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:33 pm

Slow day on transfers/rumours.
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:58 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:GK:
Cech ✓
Lloris
Casillas

DM:
Kondogbia
Schneiderlin
Krychowiak

Forward:
Falcao
Higuain
Sterling
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Sina wrote:William links are back it seems

Sporting Lisbon's William Carvalho is a priority for Arsenal aiming for a fee of around £30 million. [@marcoslopez]

he just missed Portugal U-21's last penalty, allowing Sweden to win the European Championship.

hope we sell this loser.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Amar Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:21 am

Finally got to see Carvalho in action in this tourney and he is impressive. Him and Bernardo Silva were easily the standouts. He has a huge physical presence in the middle of the park that you dont see many players have and his ball control and passing is good too for someone with a big frame.

30 million is a huge price tag, but I don't see him as a bum that many people did describe him as. I wouldn't put too much weight on the penalty either..he clearly isn't a designated set piece taker.

Still bummed we'll be missing out on Schneiderlin..fairly impressive everytime I've seen him play and would be a fairly contrast alternative to Coquelin. I believe his price tag was fair for a French international and someone with PL expereince as well.
Amar
Amar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:50 am

http://talksport.com/football/ex-arsenal-star-gervinhos-move-al-jazira-collapses-after-helicopter-and-private-beach

Laughing
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:08 am

Amar wrote:
30 million is a huge price tag, but I don't see him as a bum that many people did describe him as. I wouldn't put too much weight on the penalty either..he clearly isn't a designated set piece taker.

Still bummed we'll be missing out on Schneiderlin..fairly impressive everytime I've seen him play and would be a fairly contrast alternative to Coquelin. I believe his price tag was fair for a French international and someone with PL expereince as well.

He's definitely talented, had a great tournament and could see him fitting in but if Wenger is shying away from Schneiderlin for less money then I don't see us going for Carvalho.

Think the links are flimsy and baseless atm.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:09 am

I've a feeling that we wouldn't even be seeing these links had the U21 Euros not made Carvalho relevant again.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:11 am

I don't think we'll see another signing till late august now

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:29 am

on what basis?
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:34 am

Peccadillo wrote:on what basis?

Because he is Arsene Wenger's right hand :coffee:
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:00 am

Peccadillo wrote:on what basis?

Just a feeling

and what El Gunner said
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:19 am

RealGunner wrote:I don't think we'll see another signing till late august now

Amen.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:27 am

a divine basis then I take it Laughing

Supposing there wont be any significant transfers out, I think there will be one more signing and that will come whenever the opportunity presents itself. I don't think AW lies when he says he is looking for WC players and where they fit into the team is, to some extent, secondary

I take the point about backup to Coq and I personally agree that we should sign a DM... but doubt will AW feel 25-30m for Schneid or Carvalho is worth it when we have Chambers, Arteta and Flamini for cover..
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:57 am

Chambers should not play anywhere except CB. Him and Hayden Gabriel are the future of those positions.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by T-Mach Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:37 am

What's with all the brouhaha over Morgan S?

Shouldn't we be happy with any DM that we get from Krycho/Morgan S/William?

And BTW,Hi to all.
T-Mach
T-Mach
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:14 am

30m for Carvalho seems expensive to me.. 25m for Schneid is on the expensive side too, but a little more reasonable I suppose.. But cant we get L Gustavo for that amount?

Also what we have to offer is an incredibly limited DM role.. does 30m really need to be splashed out on such a limited position? Do top DM's even want to go to Arsenal in knowing their role is to be a strictly holding DM in a 4141?

I'm just prepping the WOB with some possibilities in case we don't get our dream DM and ST by end of season..
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:13 am

Also what we have to offer is an incredibly limited DM role.. does 30m really need to be splashed out on such a limited position? Do top DM's even want to go to Arsenal in knowing their role is to be a strictly holding DM in a 4141?

I don't see why they wouldn't. The role is restrictive by its very nature. If a DM wants to come in and play a more progressive role then he doesn't want to be a DM.

The idea that money doesn't need to splashed out on the position is what sees us use Denilson in the role for many seasons, convert Arteta from an attacking midfield player to a holding player and sign Flamini on a free transfer. It's all make-do, enough to get us by in games against weaker teams but a blatant weakness in the big games.

If you look at the fees that were paid for Matic, Gustavo, Javi Martinez and Kondogbia in recent times, or the money Chelsea paid out to buy Michael Essien a decade ago, the price tags on the likes of Krychowiak and Schneiderlin aren't at all unreasonable.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:51 pm

T-Mach wrote:What's with all the brouhaha over Morgan S?

And BTW,Hi to all.

Welcome.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by T-Mach Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:30 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:Also what we have to offer is an incredibly limited DM role.. does 30m really need to be splashed out on such a limited position? Do top DM's even want to go to Arsenal in knowing their role is to be a strictly holding DM in a 4141?

Precisely my point.

Atleast for the striker's role we've got some kind of a backup but if Coq doesn't play there's no good back-up for him.Flamini is seriously a waste of space and Arteta can't play in the Coq role,which there will be tweaks to the player roles and/or formations.

I hope we do sign one from Krycho/William/Morgan.Doesn't matter whether they're good/bad in attack as I believe there are umpteen players to do the attacking duties.

El Gunner wrote:
T-Mach wrote:What's with all the brouhaha over Morgan S?

And BTW,Hi to all.

Welcome.

Hi,El G.
T-Mach
T-Mach
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:08 pm

David Ospina, Lukas Podolski, Joel Campbell and Mathieu Flamini all available for sale at the right price via @JWTelegraph

Proud

Wenger getting ruthless finally Molenation

If we can manage to bin Flamini, then a replacement should surely come in.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:13 pm

inb4 the right price is something no one is willing to pay Laughing
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:56 am

GoonerJay29 wrote:

I don't see why they wouldn't. The role is restrictive by its very nature. If a DM wants to come in and play a more progressive role then he doesn't want to be a DM.

The idea that money doesn't need to splashed out on the position is what sees us use Denilson in the role for many seasons, convert Arteta from an attacking midfield player to a holding player and sign Flamini on a free transfer. It's all make-do, enough to get us by in games against weaker teams but a blatant weakness in the big games.

If you look at the fees that were paid for Matic, Gustavo, Javi Martinez and Kondogbia in recent times, or the money Chelsea paid out to buy Michael Essien a decade ago, the price tags on the likes of Krychowiak and Schneiderlin aren't at all unreasonable.

Well I think these examples support my view that they are over priced. Matic is substantially better than both Schneid and Carvalho.. and he went to Chelsea for £17m-21m, depending on who you believe.

Wolfsburg bought Gustavo for  £13m and I think he has a 20m release clause? One would think he's also worth more than either Carvalho or Schneid.

Essien wasn't brought in to be a holding DM, FFP rules didn't exist then and it was exactly that kind of spending which brought upon the new regulations in place today.

I don't agree that all DM roles are limited at all.. In fact as much as I like Gustavo I doubt he'd want to come here to do the Coq job as he's an example of a DM who likes to get forward and have a crack.

I think Wenger would take either for no more than £20m and I think he'd be reasonable to take that position. With the money that gets splashed around I think fans start to feel like its all play oil money and coughing up the extra £5-10m "just because" is at all sensible.. tell that to the shareholders.

Last edited by Peccadillo on Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:08 am

If you think Wenger's willing to pay £20mil on a DM then why is £21mil for Krychowiak or £24mil for Schneiderlin suddenly overpriced?

Anyway, I chose my examples to demonstrate that the position is important enough for some teams to really pay out for certain players. The £30mil-35mil Bayern spent on Martinez was a huge amount but I don't think Bayern much cared when he helped them win the Champions League.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:28 am

Well I didn't really comment on Krycho..

I thought Southhampton want 25m for Schneid.. and the difference is 5million quid.

As for Martinez.. we aren't Bayern Munich and he is arguably the best in the business.

No more than 20m doesn't mean he should be over the moon with 20m on the dot either, you have to set a bottom line somewhere. His could be 15m for all I know for players at Schneid and Carvalhos level..
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:22 am

Who knows if Wenger will sign a DM or something like it (i.e., Vidal or a Vidal-esque player). But I will say this ... I can see Arteta being the sole back-up to Coquelin, with the latter as the straight-up first choice DM. Arteta isn't a natural defensive midfielder or anything, we all know that, but speaking straight, he's actually shown himself to be a really impressive holding midfielder as a kind of calming metronomic presence. He's actually quite underrated in that way. He doesn't go in energetically for big tackles; he's slow; but he is still actually kind of a good deep midfielder otherwise. Not everyone likes to admit it. But he is.

And all of us have to acknowledge that, even if we want a great DM to come in for depth/competition, Coq has performed incredibly well. We couldn't have asked for better, essentially for free.

Not saying it's ideal. Personally I would want to bring in a DM. And keeping it the way it is, I think it's a gamble, honestly. But from my perspective it's less of a gamble than Wenger has made for the squad in some recent seasons.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next