Robespierre
RED
El Gunner
Glory
Kick
60 posters

Page 21 of 42 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 31 ... 42  Next

Go down

Barclays Premier League 15-16 Discussion-v1 - Page 21 Empty Re: Barclays Premier League 15-16 Discussion-v1

Post by Robespierre Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:54 am

I don't know if it more comic the fact that West Ham gets 3 red cards in 5 matches after having got the qualification in Europa League for fair play award , or the fact that their manager snubs Europa League (West Ham to snub EL Laughing ) because Premier League is the priority and so starters for Arsenal match ( FIRST match of the season ) and not 2nd leg.

Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Barclays Premier League 15-16 Discussion-v1 - Page 21 Empty Re: Barclays Premier League 15-16 Discussion-v1

Post by Socur Toxanarosa Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:48 am

GoonerJay29 wrote:I'm so glad I'm not alone during this difficult period Proud

Community Shield tomorrow, Chelsea v Arsenal. A pre-season friendly that actually interests me a little this year, because of the teams and managers involved. No love lost between Mou and Wenger. What are we expecting to happen in that game?

Probably what usually happens in Arsenal/Chelsea games.

Chelsea win?
Socur Toxanarosa
Socur Toxanarosa
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:58 am

Socur Toxanarosa wrote:
GoonerJay29 wrote:I'm so glad I'm not alone during this difficult period Proud

Community Shield tomorrow, Chelsea v Arsenal. A pre-season friendly that actually interests me a little this year, because of the teams and managers involved. No love lost between Mou and Wenger. What are we expecting to happen in that game?

Probably what usually happens in Arsenal/Chelsea games.

Chelsea win?

Yeah Sad

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:53 pm

So, let’s talk about Manchester United for a bit here.

Much of the press seem to be lauding them as title challengers. However, I’m personally having trouble “buying it” at the moment. I just can’t see where they’ve addressed their key issues in the transfer market.

Don’t get me wrong, this is not intended to be a United-bashing party. They have gone out and made some very astute signings. Depay and Schneiderlin headline an impressive list of expenditures, and I would have taken both at Liverpool in a heartbeat. They’ve obviously strengthened in midfield, at RB, and on the wing. However, I don’t see that they’ve addressed questions in central defense and center forward.

In regards to central defense, do United fans feel comfortable with their CB options? Are Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo, Chris Smalling, and Jonny Evans (if he stays) good enough to make a title challenge? When watching thee combinations last season, I was not impressed. I certainly don’t think there is a pairing in there that can lead the team to a title. Mind you, I’m not saying they can’t win with these defenders. I am, however, saying that they will need to have their hands held to a certain extent.

Then, there are the issues at CF. Yes, I know that Wayne Rooney is still at United, but is he really the prolific striker that United need to lead the line week-in week-out? He managed 14 goals in 37 apps last season. While that’s not a poor return, it’s not enough for a line-leading striker at United. Depay will obviously add goals, but there’s only so much you can expect from a wide-forward (one that is not named Ronaldo). There have been rumors of a “secret striker” that United are targeting (most recently rumored to be Romelu Lukaku), and but any move (and I question the legitimacy of these rumors) has drug on for quite some time now. I’m curious to see if there has been any more news on this front and if United fans think there are any strikers of sufficient quality that are available in this summer’s market.  

The window is not closed, yet. There is still a month left to get the business done, and I personally think they have moves that need to be made. At present, I would not put them in the running for the title. I simply don’t think they’ve improved enough in some critical areas to challenge Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal. For me, United still feel like they’re in that group challenging for 4-7th. I’m curious to see what everyone else thinks.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:55 pm

In short they don't have enough to challenge for the title but are too good for those below 4th IMO, they are basically stuck on a island.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:03 pm

Their lack of depth upfront is lacking indeed. Rooney-Chica and Wilson are there but Only Rooney is top class and he is not a consistent striker in terms of goals.

I think United will sign a striker before the end.

I also wonder if they have anyone as back up to sign after Ramos and Otamendi rejected.

Their midfield is their strongest aspect. I think it will carry them in many games. They have a good enough team for 3rd/4th for sure but not sure if they will do any better
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:10 pm

Like you guys said, with the actual squad I don't think we can fight for the title. But LvG has publicly said that we still need to buy players for two positions, without mentioning the positions but we all believe that he refers to the CB and ST positions.

However, in my opinion, even if we buy those 'two players', the title fight is in question. It's important to see that the team has an identity, that the players manage to implement LvG's ideas and tactics, improved team chemistry and last but not least, avoid the injuries.

Last edited by Vlad the Impaler on Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:10 pm

United will buy a striker, there's no way they're going through the season with Rooney, Chicarito, Wilson (and Depay). Maybe a CB, too. After that they will have added enough players to have that surprise element. Here's hoping the surprise is going to be the new players doing surprisingly badly.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:31 pm

Oxlade playing well
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:39 pm

Great cross from Ozil, shame no one seemed to react Laughing
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:42 pm

Chamberlain terrorizing Chelsea
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Hazard is too passive to ever be a future GOAT.

The job Coquelin is doing on Fabregas is amazing. I never thought he would make it at Arsenal, but Wenger's commitment to youth has really created a gem for them.

Frimpong somewhere in Eastern Europe mad right now.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaraVilla Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:06 pm

Betty La Fea wrote:Hazard is too passive to ever be a future GOAT.

The job Coquelin is doing on Fabregas is amazing. I never thought he would make it at Arsenal, but Wenger's commitment to youth has really created a gem for them.

Frimpong somewhere in Eastern Europe mad right now.

knew he wasnt going to be a future GOAT when i saw a pic of him watching naruto
MaraVilla
MaraVilla
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:16 pm

Agreed dtr with your post. I think those claims of United as a title contender is to an extended only echoed by the media.

A fan who have watched the pre season tour displays and the genius decisions lvg took during the tour regarding team selection and stuff and who still think united will win league is talking nonsense and are quite simply delusional. Even if there is a remote chance to actually achieve that with the current set of players the stubborn one and his 'wise' decisions will bog us down. like blind at cb for instance. Laughing

So unless at least 2 players come in to fill those 2 spots there's no chance. Rooney can't even control the ball consistently these days and he is the one who is expected to blast 20 goals this season and lead our charge. Nothing but wishful thinking if I am being honest.
The other 3 teams are quite ahead of us.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:08 pm

donttreadonred wrote:So, let’s talk about Manchester United for a bit here.

Much of the press seem to be lauding them as title challengers. However, I’m personally having trouble “buying it” at the moment. I just can’t see where they’ve addressed their key issues in the transfer market.

Don’t get me wrong, this is not intended to be a United-bashing party. They have gone out and made some very astute signings. Depay and Schneiderlin headline an impressive list of expenditures, and I would have taken both at Liverpool in a heartbeat. They’ve obviously strengthened in midfield, at RB, and on the wing. However, I don’t see that they’ve addressed questions in central defense and center forward.

In regards to central defense, do United fans feel comfortable with their CB options? Are Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo, Chris Smalling, and Jonny Evans (if he stays) good enough to make a title challenge? When watching thee combinations last season, I was not impressed. I certainly don’t think there is a pairing in there that can lead the team to a title. Mind you, I’m not saying they can’t win with these defenders. I am, however, saying that they will need to have their hands held to a certain extent.

Then, there are the issues at CF. Yes, I know that Wayne Rooney is still at United, but is he really the prolific striker that United need to lead the line week-in week-out? He managed 14 goals in 37 apps last season. While that’s not a poor return, it’s not enough for a line-leading striker at United. Depay will obviously add goals, but there’s only so much you can expect from a wide-forward (one that is not named Ronaldo). There have been rumors of a “secret striker” that United are targeting (most recently rumored to be Romelu Lukaku), and but any move (and I question the legitimacy of these rumors) has drug on for quite some time now. I’m curious to see if there has been any more news on this front and if United fans think there are any strikers of sufficient quality that are available in this summer’s market.  

The window is not closed, yet. There is still a month left to get the business done, and I personally think they have moves that need to be made. At present, I would not put them in the running for the title. I simply don’t think they’ve improved enough in some critical areas to challenge Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal. For me, United still feel like they’re in that group challenging for 4-7th. I’m curious to see what everyone else thinks.

The press are just trying to hype up a four way PL title challenge.

In all honesty, as of now, we are still short of challenging for the title (which is quite laughable considering we spent a fortune since SAF retired).

The transfer window is still open. We bolster up our defence and add a top quality ST and we may have a chance.

I still think the one holding us back from competing is LVG. We could have the best starting 11 in the world and he will tamper with it just for the sake of it.

RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:10 pm

RED wrote:The press are just trying to hype up a four way PL title challenge.

In all honesty, as of now, we are still short of challenging for the title (which is quite laughable considering we spent a fortune since SAF retired).

The transfer window is still open. We bolster up our defence and add a top quality ST and we may have a chance.

I still think the one holding us back from competing is LVG. We could have the best starting 11 in the world and he will tamper with it just for the sake of it.

LvG is an interesting case, isn't he?

He can, at times, be both one of the best managers in the world and one of the most frustrating.

He will take players that are mid-to-upper level professionals and get them playing at incredible levels should they buy-into his dogma. Give him a team of those players and one or two superstars and he will win you a league and maybe a CL. Conversely, give him a team of superstars that do not completely and totally buy-in (and possibly challenge his ego) and he will struggle to make the CL spots.

I would certainly expect United to make at least two more signings before the end of August. However, there are serious question marks surrounding remaining available targets.

With some of the more high profile strikers either being priced out of moves or ruling themselves out of a move this summer (Lacazette, Cavani, Higuain, etc.), it's hard to see where United will turn at this point: Lukaku, Llorente, Kane...?

They've got a similar situation at CB, except it's down to missing on two of their top targets: Ramos and Otamendi. United would, of course have had multiple names on their shortlist. However, with about 30 days to go in the window, they will be scrambling to get a top-level CB in by the deadline. Moreover, I haven't seen any prominent links since the Ramos/Otamendi reports. The closest thing I've seen are rumors of a bid for John Stones; the English wonder-kid du jour. So, where do United go from here?

donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:37 pm

donttreadonred wrote:

He can, at times, be both one of the best managers in the world and one of the most frustrating.

He will take players that are mid-to-upper level professionals and get them playing at incredible levels should they buy-into his dogma. Give him a team of those players and one or two superstars and he will win you a league and maybe a CL. Conversely, give him a team of superstars that do not completely and totally buy-in (and possibly challenge his ego) and he will struggle to make the CL spots.

I would certainly expect United to make at least two more signings before the end of August. However, there are serious question marks surrounding remaining available targets.

With some of the more high profile strikers either being priced out of moves or ruling themselves out of a move this summer (Lacazette, Cavani, Higuain, etc.), it's hard to see where United will turn at this point: Lukaku, Llorente, Kane...?

They've got a similar situation at CB, except it's down to missing on two of their top targets: Ramos and Otamendi. United would, of course have had multiple names on their shortlist. However, with about 30 days to go in the window, they will be scrambling to get a top-level CB in by the deadline. Moreover, I haven't seen any prominent links since the Ramos/Otamendi reports. The closest thing I've seen are rumors of a bid for John Stones; the English wonder-kid du jour. So, where do United go from here?

Agree with pretty much all of that.

To answer your question, where United go from here depends on LVG's incessant need to play players out of position and experimenting when there's absolutely no need to.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:34 am

RED wrote:
donttreadonred wrote:

Agree with pretty much all of that.

To answer your question, where United go from here depends on LVG's incessant need to play players out of position and experimenting when there's absolutely no need to.
I agree. with money spent and players signed he should not be playing players out of position. you have a good squad of players and imo depay will be a star. but I think you need another striker and 1-2 center backs. jones and smalling will not make you challenge for the title imo. di maria rvp and falcoa going has left you short. plus if DDG goes you have a problem. if I was in charge of man u I would sell DDG. he wants to leave and wont be the same keeper he was last season. buy 1 or 2 good center backs. get lacazette and you are set.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:02 am

donttreadonred wrote:With some of the more high profile strikers either being priced out of moves or ruling themselves out of a move this summer (Lacazette, Cavani, Higuain, etc.), it's hard to see where United will turn at this point: Lukaku, Llorente, Kane...?
I think Cavani or Higuain is still a good possibility. They wont be shy to cough-up few extra millions specially if that means consolidation at top-four. In fact, I think Lukaku or Kane would be far more difficult targets specially considering Everton or Tottenham don't have much time to replace their key personnel.

I don't think MU is a title contender this season. Even with proper signings at CF and CB spots and LvG managing his squad properly. I think this season is about consolidation, at top-four.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:21 pm

Spurs fans hyping this kid called Dele Alli.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:30 pm

He was very good for MK Dons in League One for a couple of years as a goal-scoring CM/AM. Seems to have a decent blend of technique, pace and strength.

We were linked with him a couple of seasons ago.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:34 pm

We have been linked with him for like 5 years straight lol.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:36 pm

Reminds me of Vieira.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:44 pm

Even we were linked with him for a while. Laughing Had no idea Spurs signed him.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:00 pm

He's at Spurs so let's all just remind ourselves that he'll amount to absolutely nothing in his career.

Shame, could have been incredible at Arsenal.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:42 pm

CBarca wrote:He's at Spurs so let's all just remind ourselves that he'll amount to absolutely nothing in his career.

Shame, could have been incredible at Arsenal.

agreed !

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 42 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 31 ... 42  Next