Do we all agree this man is the greatest Right back of all time?

+24
ahmad25
RealGunner
Robespierre
Cruijf
Doc
Kick
Valkyrja
free_cat
Donuts
CBarca
McAgger
Blue
Highburied
FilthyLuca
jibers
Ganso
titosantill
M99
Hapless_Hans
Myesyats
The Franchise
Kaladin
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Gil
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do we all agree this man is the greatest Right back of all time? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we all agree this man is the greatest Right back of all time?

Post by Blue Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:31 pm

I know there has been a lot of good/great players that have never lived up to expectations with their NT, but the difference between Barca Alves and Brazil Alves is day and night.

Blue
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Do we all agree this man is the greatest Right back of all time? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we all agree this man is the greatest Right back of all time?

Post by McAgger Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:45 pm

I like Lahm but he's not better than Alves at RB. If you want to argue anything is that they're pretty much at the same level. You could argue he's got a higher footballing IQ being able to seamlessly move into midfield but at RB, no.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:28 pm

I like Lahm as well but he's become incredibly overrated over the years, he never has been better than Alves.

Talk about achievements, big game performances, ability or whatever Alves has him beat. Even defensive ability when it matters he does too....

How often when the games are really on the line has Alves been exploited? very rarely but Lahm has many times.

The only reason no one picks up on it is because he's quiet, small guy who is extremely classy where Alves is an outgoing, arrogant POS.

But in all honesty, their performances on the pitch are not even close.

Maicon is extremely overrated as well and i have explained many times over why that is and won't bother again, that's not to say Alves is the best because he isn't i can think of at least 3 who are better but he's definitely the best of his generation.

Mainly because the competition either didn't last or are just not to the level of all time great RBs.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:18 am

Behind Cafu and Thuram probably but he's right in the mix with him.

Also wouldn't say Lahm has a higher IQ because he can play in the midfield. Dani Alves has never necessarily played in the midfield like Lahm but he has the ability, and many times positionally he takes up positions that very much are midfield positions.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:08 am

I disagree on Alves being defensively better than Lahm. I also disagree on their performances on the pitch not even being close. Lahm has been top class as RB on the pitch for years, I don't care about what he does odd the pitch. He was better than Alves defensively and was a much more balanced fullback. Of course Alves has him beat on achievements on club level, being a part of the Barca team does that. Of course, Alves is a factor for Barca winning so many trophies but while Lahm too has been blessed to be a part of a great team, Brca 09-15>>>>Bayern 09-15. And it's not like Lahm's trophy haul is not that impressive, he has a Champions League and the most important trophy of them all, a World Cup.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:38 pm

M99 wrote:Zanneti played RB majority of his career. He was as good at LB though. +1 at Dani for bringing up Zambrotta, now that is a guy that people do not usually mention. Maicon, I feel that prime Maicon was better overall than Alves but Alves has had far more better seasons than Maicon has had.

I rate Zambrotta very highly and it was a shame he came to Barcelona just a couple years too late and no longer in his prime.

Truly able to play both fullback positions, quick, strong, tough, defensively excellent, uses both feet, very intelligent and mastered the balance between defence and attack.

You dont really get fullbacks like him today actually. He was truly as good defensively as he was in attack.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:28 pm

Dani Alves very classy but sometimes reliable. He is not a good defender.
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:50 pm

he kept a prime cr7 in his pocket multiple times
i'd say his defending is pretty world class compared to all the other right backs in the past 15 years.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:44 am

I can understand those who mention Cafú... but Thuram? Really? Nowhere near Alves.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:14 am

free_cat wrote:I can understand those who mention Cafú... but Thuram? Really? Nowhere near Alves.

yes, just like pogba is several levels above Verratti and Pedro is better than stoichkov.

:facepalm:
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:03 pm

free_cat wrote:I can understand those who mention Cafú... but Thuram? Really? Nowhere near Alves.

Nowhere near Laughing What's next, Alba is better than Maldini?
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:39 pm

Albadini, Bartresi and Piquenbauer :bow:
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:49 pm

Thuram in his prime was a beast, either at CB or RB. One of the best defenders to step on a football field. While he didn't have Alves' or Cafu's creative spark going forward he was very effective, while in defense he was fantastic. He was one of the best RBs while playing there and one of the best CBs as well. Absolute beast. Cannavaro's BDor and WC06(where Lilian also had one hell of a tournament) kinda overshadows the time when he was carried by the Frenchman while at Parma and also at Juve.

Don't judge Thuram based on his performances at Barca at 34-36. He was way past it during his stint in Catalonia
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:54 pm

I disliked Thuram so much, but he is obviously one of the greats and a deserving mention.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:50 am

What's most interesting is that you know in your heart and soul that Free is rather serious with his statement about Thuram and Alves. Didn't think he could top his Pedro better than Stoichkov though.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:57 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dani_Alves#Honours

Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:52 pm

For the record, Maicon was never at any point on the same planet as Dani Alves. One was a great attacking fullback. The other was a once in a generation player. People are underrating how unique Dani Alves was, such a complete mix of defensive, physical, and technical qualities.
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:51 pm

I don't know , and not because I am Inter fan . he improve so much to defence since his first year, infact serie a is not liga a fullback must can defend , it's a basic requisite, and it was the reason why hodgson sold roberto carlos :facepalm: Laughing surely he is not behind about     physical ... it's debatable who's better but surely I believe there is  not  this massive difference among 2 . Besides wasn't Maicon the starter in Brazil and not Alves ? hmm
Maicon was a bit penalized from his professional ethics anyway , he 'd lasted much more with a Cafu-esque ethic but for example ..he loves so much to drink . rumours say Florentino Perez didn't want him in Madrid for this reason , in Milano we could forgive him if he wasn't  impeccable about it because he could be equally great ... but in the long run he was slowed down from it , it is not a matter of quality. Very complete player
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:16 pm

Maicon to me was a really great "normal" fullback.

When I say normal I mean like, if you were to create a fullback in the lab it might come out something like Maicon.

Tall, fast, strong, great control, can dribble, runs all day, amazing overlaps and tremendous crossing with an ability shoot from distance.

But Dani Alves is different, he misses some things Maicon had (power, size) but he does things a normal fullback wouldnt even compute. He play's 1-2, sometimes more than 1 in a row, he dribbles inside, he makes passes like a midfielder (with both feet) such as through balls and chipped passes. He has legitimate midfield skills combined with extraordinary physical capability.

Maicon did everything a fullback should do (going forward), Dani Alves did things you dont expect a fullback to.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:18 pm

The Franchise wrote:Maicon to me was a really great "normal" fullback.

When I say normal I mean like, if you were to create a fullback in the lab it might come out something like Maicon.

Tall, fast, strong, great control, can dribble, runs all day, amazing overlaps and tremendous crossing with an ability shoot from distance.

But Dani Alves is different, he misses some things Maicon had (power, size) but he does things a normal fullback wouldnt even compute. He play's 1-2, sometimes more than 1 in a row, he dribbles inside, he makes passes like a midfielder (with both feet) such as through balls and chipped passes. He has legitimate midfield skills combined with extraordinary physical capability.

Maicon did everything a fullback should do (going forward), Dani Alves did things you dont expect a fullback to.

Probably the best answer I've read to Maicon vs Alves debates, ever.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by ahmad25 Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:53 pm

RealGunner wrote:
The Franchise wrote:Maicon to me was a really great "normal" fullback.

Probably the best answer I've read to Maicon vs Alves debates, ever.

:bow:
ahmad25
ahmad25
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Killer Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:12 am

you are mad, he is shit in defense..

Killer
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:48 am

Lahm is back at RB, we can all go back to doing something else now.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:10 am

Lahm was never better than Alves
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:17 am

Alves has always been better than Lahm at RB, it's never been even a doubt in my mind about that.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by BusterLfc Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:19 pm

BusterLfc
BusterLfc
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next